Do you register/ shower for dc #2? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-09-2010, 05:01 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I can't bring myself to register either. I didn't even like it the first time, but it made it easier for my grandmothers and such, so I did a few things... This time I have friends who are handing down most of the "big" things that I could do with or without anyway - i.e. swing, pack 'n' play, etc... But a chance for a big party with all our friends and family is too much fun to turn down... We host one for Halloween, Easter, and New Year's, so someone else throwing us one - not something I feel any guilt over - it's just what we do in my "circle" i guess. If the thought of gifts is what makes it uncomfortable for people, there are so many other options. My old boss was a minimalist in the greatest of meanings. So much so that they easily packed up and moved to a small island in the Carribean without much of a thought... The other supervisors in our office really wanted to throw her a shower, so they all made a cooperative donation to a charity in her family's name. I love the food idea as well, but I guess that is still asking for something...
I love buying people gifts, so I can understand why it is hard for people not to...

Erika, mama to Sawyer 6/04 joy.gifand Gracie 7/10energy.gif  :, dw Amy:

treehugger.gifsaynovax.gifbfinfant.giffamilybed2.gifRainbow.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2010, 03:22 PM

My cousin and bff just had their fourth and third children, receptively. I had showers for them both. Besides needing new things for new children (my cousin had her first girl!), I believe every baby deserves to be celebrated! It is a new life coming into the family and we gather to honor that.

Besides, both of their eldest children are 9 years. If they are expected to use the same items, that would make them 9 years old and had gone through 2 or 3 other children. I don't know many people (now-a-days) who use the same thing for 9 years. Items wear out.

We will be having a shower (there is no way my mom will NOT throw one). I have registered at myregistry.com for items we actually need. I don't want a bunch of junk. My registry includes all our items, including things we plan to buy ourselves, because I like to be organized and have everything in one place.
Old 02-10-2010, 04:42 PM

I won't be registering or asking for a shower. We have a lot of stuff from DD already. We were team green with her and this one so we have a lot of neutral stuff.

My favorite shower for DD was a book shower! People brought their favorite new or used book. . awesome idea (friend's idea). Co-ed, mellow.

If someone offers to throw us another I won't say no, but I am not expecting it. We had 3 or 4 with DD. Food is always an awesome idea. .our group of friends does this whenever babies are born.

mama to dd 2x Our sweet boy is here! 7/27
Old 02-10-2010, 07:45 PM

I have never wanted to have a traditional baby shower, although I've been to (a few) really fun ones. I ask all of the women I know to send me a bead to string on my birthing necklace, if they feel comfortable. And I ask those attending the Blessingway to bring flowers, candle, object for my birthing altar (I homebirth) OR a poem to share. Whatever they feel moved to bring, even their presence alone I consider a gift. I have found the Blessingways to be such a beautiful, powerful female expression of honoring mother and her next journey into motherhood that I wouldn't feel complete and open without it before this next birth.

Much of my dh's family is "we-only-shop-at-walmart-for-what-we-want-you-to-have-and-we-don't-care-that-you-boycott-them-and-don't-want-cheap-mic-crap-that-you'll-only-donate" So no baby shower avoids one more chance (potentially) for them to send us some of this, too. For this baby, I am planning to register for: a POST-partum doula. I've never had one and the idea of someone, comfortable with homebirthing & all our crunchyness, helping out around the home & supporting us sounds so heavenly. Our budget is already stretched with our upfront birth expenses. So, I hope, hope, hope those who want to give a gift to welcome our new addition will help us afford this.

Zoie, granola mum to three boys on earth, one girl who soars  

User Tag List