If you HAD to drink a soda... - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 37 Old 02-08-2010, 03:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
which is the better option: regular soda (with high fructose corn syrup) or diet soda (aspartame)?

I am not a big soda junkie but every once and awhile I really crave one. If I can I try to go to the health food store and at least get one with real sugar, but that's not always an option. Or sometimes I'm out to eat somewhere and I'm limited in my choices. I usually try to go the club soda route there, but last week DH and I went out for wings and he had a beer and to console myself I got a root beer

So what would you choose?

Mumma to DS July 2010 and expecting another baby boy late July 2012 belly.gif

#2 of 37 Old 02-08-2010, 03:44 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
ddcc to say that i would go with HFCS over the fake stuff, esp when pg. do you like 7up? its ever so slightly less bad than the others LOL

Bring back the old MDC
#3 of 37 Old 02-08-2010, 03:47 PM

corn syrup. Although a little of either on won't be a big problem
#4 of 37 Old 02-08-2010, 03:48 PM

If I am out at a resturant or somewhere else and want a pop (which is like 2x a year!!!) I usually get whatever I am wanting...to be perfectly honest. Usually some kind of spritzer like half cranberry juice half sprite or half apple juice half gingerale. I keep on hand some rw knudsen fruit spritzers (I don't really like cola sodas anyway) and will take those when we go out to picnics or parties.
#5 of 37 Old 02-08-2010, 03:49 PM

duh wanted to add fake sugar messes with me so I would drink the corn syrup kind over diet any day.
#6 of 37 Old 02-08-2010, 03:51 PM

I would choose regular over aspartame.

To satisfy that kind of want, I usually drink something like the Izze drinks - it's carbonated water and fruit juice, sweetened just with fruit juice. Still a bunch of calories, but no HFCS, sugar, aspartame, etc.

http://www.izze.com/
#7 of 37 Old 02-08-2010, 04:26 PM

Diet soda tastes super-funky to me even under the best of circumstances,so I'd go with the HFCS and not look back.

(I'm sure I've consumed my share of HFCS this pregnancy anyway. I try to avoid it in packaged goods, but then I get a huge craving for chocolate-peanut butter ice cream...NO *not* peanut butter ice cream with chocolate in it, but chocolate ice cream with peanut butter in it, there is a difference dammit and the only stuff they sell at the natural food co-op is the peanut butter ice cream with chocolate in it so I go to the regular store...sigh.)

ProtoLawyer (the now-actual lawyer, this isn't legal advice,  please don't take legal advice from some anonymous yahoo on the Internet)
Spouse (the political geek) * Stepdaughter (the artist) * and introducing...the Baby (um, he's a baby? He likes shiny things).
#8 of 37 Old 02-08-2010, 04:30 PM

Same as everyone, diet makes me sick feeling after and HFCS is so much better that I'd never second guess it!

Aimee Blessed Momma to 4 amazing boys, P ~ 9 H ~ 7 J ~ 4 and B ~ 1.  Happily married to D Living my almost dream life on an urban homestead, hoping for our forever land to find us soon!

#9 of 37 Old 02-08-2010, 05:04 PM

I drink Hansen's cane soda!

Karyn, wife to Colby partners.gif (9/4/04) and homeschooling mama to Ryan notes2.gif (3/11/08), Tyler jog.gif h20homebirth.gif (7/15/10), and a new little bean pos.gif (10/24/12)! familybed2.gif fly-by-nursing2.gifintactlact.gif saynovax.gif

#10 of 37 Old 02-08-2010, 05:09 PM

I was told that diet drinks and artificial sweetners like aspartame and saccharin were a no-no while pregnant. Go for regular.

Crunchy Christian Wife and Mommy to awesome DH and DD1 (4/25/07) and DD2 (8/13/10)
#11 of 37 Old 02-08-2010, 05:11 PM

I drink club soda/sparkling mineral water mixed with naked juice. Very good soda-pop flavor and feel.
#12 of 37 Old 02-08-2010, 05:12 PM

NM, pps covered it
#13 of 37 Old 02-08-2010, 05:13 PM

I go to Costco and buy myself a case of mexican coca colas made with cane sugar. I've only had a couple of them so far this pregnancy but I know they are on hand when I do want one.

Maegen, adventurous wife to DH, loving mom to my beautiful DD's and expecting another babe in March 2012!

#14 of 37 Old 02-08-2010, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romana View Post
I would choose regular over aspartame.

To satisfy that kind of want, I usually drink something like the Izze drinks - it's carbonated water and fruit juice, sweetened just with fruit juice. Still a bunch of calories, but no HFCS, sugar, aspartame, etc.

http://www.izze.com/
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamakaryn08 View Post
I drink Hansen's cane soda!
Yum, on both!

I love Hansen's cherry vanilla. I think I will ask someone to bring me some. hehe

I think Jones Soda is also real sugar.

I have had some soda, but I try to avoid diet. Occasionally I do use those lemonade packets you put in water just because I get so sick of drinking water when I am at school. Sugar just doesn't dissolve and I love lemonade. I'm really not a big soda drinker so I don't think my occasional slip-up will hurt too bad. I hope! (I've been craving root beer a lot)

Artist, teacher, wife and mommy to DSS, DD1, DD2 and surprise baby girl on the way, 7/12!

#15 of 37 Old 02-08-2010, 05:22 PM

Right now as I type I'm drinking a Zevia Natural Diet Soda, which I bought because I wanted a soda (unusual for me). It's made with Triple carbonated water, stevia leaf and orange oil. Does not mess with blood sugar and it tastes good! They have several flavors.

JENNY, 38~ preschool teacher, birth activist, sun worshiper, singer, married for 17 years and mom to

Karan 15, Fiona 12, Bodhi 10, Bjorn 6, Devon 3, and Robin Taylor born January 16th!

#16 of 37 Old 02-08-2010, 05:37 PM

Hansens Cherry Vanilla Creme

That is my ultimate soda craving, and they are "natural". But since most restaurants don't carry them, I'd go with a non-caffeinated, non-diet, like Sprite or Root Beer, or even orange soda if I were willing to brave the artificial colors.

But at a nice restaurant with a bar, I'd go for an Italian soda . . . yum.

Mmmm, and I second Izze's. Those are good! And they are just fruit juice with soda water.

Happy and in love with my family!
#17 of 37 Old 02-08-2010, 05:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtsyHeartsy View Post
Occasionally I do use those lemonade packets you put in water just because I get so sick of drinking water when I am at school.
See that's just it, after so much time I just get sooo very tired of water. When non-preggo I pretty much only drink water too, but I have a glass of wine or a beer probably several times a week which kind breaks up the monotony a bit.

I thought HFCS was probably the better route but was just curious what others had to say.

Up here in New England (maybe only Maine, not sure) they have these Fruit Spritzers made by Polar. It's sparkling water with fruit juice. Love them, they are affordable and you can buy them in a regular grocery store... but I think they are discontinuing them because they're down to only 1 flavor at my local store!

Mumma to DS July 2010 and expecting another baby boy late July 2012 belly.gif

#18 of 37 Old 02-08-2010, 06:04 PM

DDCC - Well... I know caffeine is a no-no - but right now they have Pepsi, Mountain Dew and Dr. Pepper throwback - it's made with real sugar and not HFCS. It's out only for a limited time though.

AFM, soda tastes really odd this time around - too sweet or something - even the sip I had of DH's pepsi throwback tasted weird. But if I had to, I'd go regular soda and not diet all the way - diet is just too odd.

Rachel, knit.gifwifey to 2twins.gif (3/06), tandem nursing mama toenergy.gif(7/08) & babyboy.gif (4/11) and missing brokenheart.gif (7/09, 2/10, 7/10) 
#19 of 37 Old 02-08-2010, 06:05 PM

Oh, I forgot to add - you can also get Pepsi and Coke made with regular sugar in 2 liters around Passover - it's called kosher coke or something like that.

Rachel, knit.gifwifey to 2twins.gif (3/06), tandem nursing mama toenergy.gif(7/08) & babyboy.gif (4/11) and missing brokenheart.gif (7/09, 2/10, 7/10) 
#20 of 37 Old 02-08-2010, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProtoLawyer View Post
Diet soda tastes super-funky to me even under the best of circumstances,so I'd go with the HFCS and not look back.

(I'm sure I've consumed my share of HFCS this pregnancy anyway. I try to avoid it in packaged goods, but then I get a huge craving for chocolate-peanut butter ice cream...NO *not* peanut butter ice cream with chocolate in it, but chocolate ice cream with peanut butter in it, there is a difference dammit and the only stuff they sell at the natural food co-op is the peanut butter ice cream with chocolate in it so I go to the regular store...sigh.)
the Haagen Dazs variety doesn't have corn syrup! And it's exactly what you describe, chocolate ice cream with peanut butter swirls. It's soooo yummy.

I have to choose diet sometimes, though usually I go with water, because I'm allergic to corn. But when my chronic fatigue syndrome has me dragging, and I absolutely must do something outside the house, I've been indulging in a can here or there of the Pepsi or Mtn Dew Throwback. DH just got some Heritage Dr. Pepper, but I haven't tried it yet. We only got a single half-case, because I've heard it tastes like a$$. But I used to love Dr. Pepper, so I'm hoping it doesn't.

scifi-convention runners Kate, DH Drew 11/07, DD Cora 12/97. We , ,
Welcome to baby Fiona with a giant omphalocele, 6/17/10!
#21 of 37 Old 02-08-2010, 07:52 PM

I'd pick HFCS! When I had ms really bad a pepsi would settle my tummy so I bought those 100 calorie cans...I felt like at least if I was going to drink something bad for you it was in a smaller amount than a regular serving.

Amanda - loving the love of my life C and our beautiful children. K#1 (3/02), K#2 (1/07) and newly expecting K#3 (7/10)
#22 of 37 Old 02-08-2010, 11:20 PM

That's why I love Pepsi Throwback! (since I can't have corn in any form)

Diet pepsi or coke don't settle my tummy like Pepsi Throwback or Mexican Coke do. And the whole foods cane sugar sweetened cola doesn't do it, either, plus it tastes nasty.

scifi-convention runners Kate, DH Drew 11/07, DD Cora 12/97. We , ,
Welcome to baby Fiona with a giant omphalocele, 6/17/10!
#23 of 37 Old 02-09-2010, 12:46 AM

Well, I have to really watch my sugar consumption. So, the few times that I've had a soda this pregnancy I've bought diet hansens. It's made with sucralose which I've heard is better.

~Manessa mama to one teenageer, one tweenager, and a toddler

#24 of 37 Old 02-09-2010, 12:54 AM

I never drink diet soda. Ever. Besides health issues, I hate the taste.

I buy caffeine free Coke on ocassion, sometimes Mexican Coke, but mostly I've been drinking aboult a liter of San Pellegrino sparkling water a day. Either plain, with lime, or a splash of juice. Thank goodness Costco carries it for an okay price--I love the stuff!

Wife to a wonderful dh and mom to four beautiful kiddos, dd (3/04):, ds1 (1/06), ds2 (10/08), and ds3 (7/10)
#25 of 37 Old 02-09-2010, 05:40 AM

I crave soda when pregnant, though I still only indulge when going out to eat-- usually. And then, yes, it's HFCS for me... (sigh). Fake sugar scares me, and I can really taste the fake-ness. It's just nasty. I unfortunately have to watch DP go through lots of that since he's diabetic, and that's his only choice for anything to be sweetened.

I do very-occasionally buy soda for at home, but then I get cane sugar soda. Hansens or Blue Sky, which I believe is still a Hansens product. I did pick up some throwback Pepsi while it's still out, though I'm not especially enamored with it. I find that hfcs soda tastes less sweet, and therefore more enjoyable, sadly. I wish they'd make cane sugar soda with less sugar! I feel the same about mexican coke, though at least I know where to get that year-round.

Weirdo Mama to amazing Aurelia, age 9 & Ember Roslyn, age 3!
#26 of 37 Old 02-09-2010, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjorker View Post
I wish they'd make cane sugar soda with less sugar!
YES! I would love a soda option with about half, or less than half the sugar of regular soda. I find regular soda way too sweet. I guess I am the odd one out here, I really don't mind the taste of artificial sweeteners. As far as the evils of fake sugar/sugar, I don't lose any sleep over it, I don't drink enough of either to be worried. Obviously, we all no neither one of them is exactly healthy! I like to cut my soda (diet or regular) in half with sparkling water. I was never a big soda drinker, but I have been craving it this pregancy too .

Happy wife of Treading.gif  mom to L lady.gif and Mjog.gif

#27 of 37 Old 02-09-2010, 11:50 AM

HUGE cultural difference between Russia and the US/UK.....Russians are not into soda.
You usually see Diet Coke in the big supermarkets but no diet-anything else.
I was buying DH a bottle of Fanta and a women started pointing at it in my basket and shaking her head going (in Russian), 'Chemicals!'
Funny! They LOVE their sugar though....

I just stick with water, sometimes with a slice of orange or lemon and ice. Very occasionally a 'N Tonic' which is a family speciality for Preggers aka Gin and Tonic without the Gin!!!

Emma - Welsh Wife to DH and Mummy to DS, Lloyd 13/08/07 and Cerys 15/07/10
Living in Russia
#28 of 37 Old 02-09-2010, 12:35 PM

DDCC-

I am always in the minority around here on this one. But I HATE regular soda. Even a sip of it leaves me feeling gross- gives me a gross taste in my mouth. Much more than that and I get a headache.

I love diet soda, though. I do try to at least get the stuff with splenda in it, but I'm not really convinced it's much better, so sometimes I drink aspartame, too. I just try to not eat other foods with artificial sweeteners, so I'm limiting my (and baby's) exposure to it.

I have actually been drinking more since I've been pregnant because I've been CRAVING it. I never drank caffeine before I was pregnant, either, but I've sort of gotten into the habit of it. I think it started because I was so sleepy all the time, but then I started to crave it.

However, I try to limit myself to one 12 oz soda every couple of days.

Juice and seltzer just makes me laugh- it does NOT do it for me.

Hippie sympathizer and mom to L, 4.8.10.
Pet-mom to Squirt with FLUTD & Maya the deaf wonder dog .
#29 of 37 Old 02-09-2010, 02:57 PM

Shopper's in the DC area is carrying Pepsi throwback made with sugar. Right now I drink about half a can of fruit flavored soda to avoid caffeine.

- EDD 7/29
#30 of 37 Old 02-09-2010, 04:23 PM

drink kombucha instead of soda!

mmmmmmm, i am addicted to kombucha. when i was pg with ds and worked at the co-op, i bought it by the case and drank 1-3 of them everyday.

now i make my own and save about $100+/month.

here's a GREAT recipe for the double fermentation method, so you can have that yummy fruit juice flavor that the synnergy organic raw kombucha has. kombucha recipe

oh, and jmo about soda: natural soda is definitely way better than regular, but if i was dying on a desert island and had only reg and diet soda to drink, i would never, EVER touch the diet! the fake sugar is really, really bad for you. also, most people who are drinking diet soda with the thinking that they won't get fat from it, are dead WRONG. the sweet taste of diet tricks your body into thinking it's real sugar, and so not only are you not dong yourself any favors calorie-wise by drinking diet, you are loading your body with some deadly chemicals.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page