My child will be born without a name.. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 23 Old 02-08-2010, 09:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
If it is a boy. I swear for the life of me and DH we can not find a name that we both love. I actually haven't found 'the name' I love. I'm getting really upset about this. I have searched and searched and then searched some more to find n-o-t-h-i-n-g! My mom said "it will come to you" but I don't see that happening. Anyway, I am just venting.

Oh- someone posted a link to unusual baby names a long time ago. I tried to find it but it is buried. It had name of the week on the homepage and it was Calluna if that rings a bell. I have searched and searched for it but can't find it. Ring a bell anyone. Can you relink? Please.

A wife to A, unschoolen mom to C (7), T (3) & little A (9 months).
Hey Nena, I know you are creepen on me. privateeyes.gif  Get a life. 
#2 of 23 Old 02-08-2010, 09:40 PM

I don't know if this is the same list, but here are some pretty good ones.

Don't worry. We have months to go before we need names. And if your baby is born without a name it won't be such a big deal. My ds2 had no name right away and we finally settled on one after meeting him.

It is a big responsibility, but the right one will come along!

Wife to a wonderful dh and mom to four beautiful kiddos, dd (3/04):, ds1 (1/06), ds2 (10/08), and ds3 (7/10)
#3 of 23 Old 02-08-2010, 11:22 PM

I KNOW Im having a boy just because I dont have a BOY name
I have plenty of girls names so that would be too easy LOL

HUGS IM sure some name will come to you in the next several months

Shelly, Mom to Sophia 5 Nicholas 3 & 2 Angels
Its a GIRL! Alyssa Ann 6/29/10 7lbs 5 oz
#4 of 23 Old 02-08-2010, 11:33 PM

Yep, same here. No boy name. The only thing I like is naming a boy after my DH, but I'm not sure how a Junior would work out. I have oodles of girl names. *sigh* You could always call your baby #2 or Deuce? And I could call mine Primo!

First time Mama, in love with my DH and we're in LOVE with our baby girl!!!
mdcblog5.gif
#5 of 23 Old 02-08-2010, 11:38 PM
MLA

We had 5 or 6 boy names that we were thinking about. Nathaniel was in the lead. But during labor, I just kept thinking of him as Nicholas, for some reason, and when he was born, it was clear to me that was his name.

So, I guess what I'm saying is that it may very well just come to you.
#6 of 23 Old 02-08-2010, 11:44 PM

We thought we had picked a name, although we also thought DD was a boy... When I was 7 mos pg I had a dream and I had a little girl with a certain name. After she was born, we called her by one name for a couple hours, and then switched to the one I had a dream about-that's her name.
I actually don't like to "officially" name the baby until we see them. Sometimes they just don't look like the name at the top of the list, and something else fits better. We'll probably go in with a few options (partly cause "name the baby" is my favorite game-I have lists and lists) and then decide after we meet our baby.

"I'm so crafty, I make people" DD (01/06) and her much anticipated sibling (07/10) with my sweet DH (07/02)
#7 of 23 Old 02-09-2010, 01:36 AM

Sometimes you just have to see the baby for the name to fit. Sounds like that will be your case!

Aimee Blessed Momma to 4 amazing boys, P ~ 9 H ~ 7 J ~ 4 and B ~ 1.  Happily married to D Living my almost dream life on an urban homestead, hoping for our forever land to find us soon!

#8 of 23 Old 02-09-2010, 02:46 AM

I thought we would have a nameless baby for a while too because all we could think of was silly stuff. Then all of a sudden, yesterday, we were like, hmmm, so we have names? That can't be right, they're way too normal. But we have pretty much settled on a boy name and a girl name. It just happened out of nowhere.

Happy and in love with my family!
#9 of 23 Old 02-09-2010, 02:54 AM

OK, this may not help, but for our first we could not agree on a boys name. Turned out to be a girl. Second time around we had no girls names whatsoever. Had a boy.

Diane, SAHM to DD (June 05) and DS (April 07).
::::
#10 of 23 Old 02-09-2010, 02:55 AM

I've told Dh that if he continues to veto all my boy names this child will be called Symbol or Squiggle. Remember when Prince changed his?!!!
What really bugs me is that DS1 has a middle name which I now wish I'd kept for a first name for a subsequent child.
I must be having a boy because we like the same 2 girl names we picked before DS was born....arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Emma - Welsh Wife to DH and Mummy to DS, Lloyd 13/08/07 and Cerys 15/07/10
Living in Russia
#11 of 23 Old 02-09-2010, 03:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by welsh View Post
I've told Dh that if he continues to veto all my boy names this child will be called Symbol or Squiggle. Remember when Prince changed his?!!!
"The Baby Formerly Known As..."
Or (to reference Seinfeld), you could always go with "Seven". Sort of a symbol AND a name, all rolled into one!

Happy wife of Treading.gif  mom to L lady.gif and Mjog.gif

#12 of 23 Old 02-09-2010, 04:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeannineb View Post
"The Baby Formerly Known As..."
Or (to reference Seinfeld), you could always go with "Seven". Sort of a symbol AND a name, all rolled into one!
Exactly!

Living in Russia
#13 of 23 Old 02-09-2010, 08:57 AM

I'm sure I'm in the minority here but I really LIKE not naming my kids til they come. Sure we'll have some ten names we've thought and talked about but we won't settle on anything til baby is here. It just feels weird to have first, middle and last name chosen before you have even met.

I will be quicker then my brother. It took B & SIL almost three weeks POST birth to name their child!

I was handing my name book over to SIL a few months back and a scrape of paper came out w/ a list of names in my writing from 5 years ago and lol I didn't like any of them now
#14 of 23 Old 02-09-2010, 10:07 AM

Oh my gosh. We haven't even really started thinking/talking about names! I think last time we waited until about the 30-week mark. We had lists of boys & girls names, and chose one the day after DD was born.

The boy name that we both love...well, I'm not sure we can go with it. Our daughter has a botanical name, and the boy's name is also botanical. We would feel a bit silly introducing them. But we do love nature names, so we may be in trouble!

But yes - LOTS of time.
#15 of 23 Old 02-09-2010, 10:24 AM

I suppose I just want to have a couple of boy and a couple of girl names sorted so that when the 3rd trimester starts I can start focussing on the birth.
I'm finding this pregnancy is going so quickly....

Living in Russia
#16 of 23 Old 02-09-2010, 11:51 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks ladies for all the responses. I am just worried that baby will be born and wont have a name for like 2 weeks and then we will pick a name just to give him a name and then a few weeks/months later I will realize I hate the name and regret giving it to him. I just don't like pressure and I know I will be under pressure after baby is born to get it a name. I am use to at this point to having a few names we like and one name we love. That way when baby is born we can give the name that fits. I have never had this much trouble though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ledzepplon View Post
I don't know if this is the same list, but here are some pretty good ones.
That was it. Thank you! However, I found nothing. Big surprise.

Quote:
I suppose I just want to have a couple of boy and a couple of girl names sorted so that when the 3rd trimester starts I can start focussing on the birth.
I'm finding this pregnancy is going so quickly....
I completely agree with you on the first part. I have so many things that I have to be doing and I like to just relax and prepare myself for birth in the last few months. I will be doing that in the midst of a garden and diaper making if I don't hurry it up!

I feel like this pregnancy is dragging along, taking its sweet time... I guess that can work to my favor with the name issue though.

A wife to A, unschoolen mom to C (7), T (3) & little A (9 months).
Hey Nena, I know you are creepen on me. privateeyes.gif  Get a life. 
#17 of 23 Old 02-09-2010, 12:15 PM

My DD is March 22, we KNOW it's a boy and we have no name!

Third generation WOHM. I work by choice.
#18 of 23 Old 02-09-2010, 02:29 PM

Our son wasn't named until he was 11 days old. I thought that was a long time until I met a family whose daughter wasn't named for 4 months.

So I wouldn't worry about it just yet!

Kristen, happy wife to Jeremy; Mama to dd (2/04) and ds (8/07) and two miscarried babies (9/05 & 5/06). And beginning to believe a baby may really be coming this summer.
#19 of 23 Old 02-09-2010, 05:59 PM

I'll be under pressure too, as my dh is adamant about having a name before announcing the baby's birth to people. Last time he refused to email pics to my own mother until I named him!!

We have a good five girls name we agree on and like. Not a one boy's name!

JENNY, 38~ preschool teacher, birth activist, sun worshiper, singer, married for 17 years and mom to

Karan 15, Fiona 12, Bodhi 10, Bjorn 6, Devon 3, and Robin Taylor born January 16th!

#20 of 23 Old 02-10-2010, 10:44 AM

Quote:
What really bugs me is that DS1 has a middle name which I now wish I'd kept for a first name for a subsequent child.
I don't think having used a name for a middle name automatically takes it out of the running for a first name. Dad wanted a Junior but Mom hated the idea so they gave brother1 my dad's confirmation name and his middle name. Then when brother2 came they just switched the order of my Dad's first and middle names. With brother3 they reused a fist name as a middle name, to keep the connecting names trend going (and because they still liked the names) and then did the same again with brother4
Dad- Martin Joseph
Bro 1- Michael Joseph (ended up with the same initials also)
Bro 2- Joseph Martin
Bro 3- Christopher Michael
Bro 4- Matthew Christopher

They all ended up having a neat connection name-wise with at least one other sibling/family member. (The girls had a totally different trend, all Queen's names )

anyway, just my 2 cents.

Hey, Babe  +  Me  =  Little Man 07-27-08  &  the Storm Sprite 07-11-10  computergeek2.gif    
#21 of 23 Old 02-10-2010, 02:40 PM

I have a lot more trouble with girl names. Though I'm sure we won't be picking THE name until the baby is here (just couldn't do it last time!), I'd like to narrow it down a bit. It's hard to even find contenders. Everything sounds too girly to me.

Weirdo Mama to amazing Aurelia, age 9 & Ember Roslyn, age 3!
#22 of 23 Old 02-10-2010, 07:01 PM

Well, what's the pressure? You'll find the right name when it comes to you.

We wait until after baby is born to meet them, get to know them, and something just clicks in place. For any of our impatient relatives who get super pushy & judgmental about not having a name, we make up something really odd (last time, it was "Smurfy") just to get them off our backs. It's amusing to hear them splutter something to cover their discomfort. I think with our first, it took us 6 weeks. Our last it was 2 or 3 weeks. That didn't used to be uncommon. It was bad luck to officially name a child until they had been around for awhile. So, why not give yourself a break? Maybe you'll find the perfect name before birth and maybe you'll wait until you meet them. It's another opportunity to belly and baby bond right? <3

Zoie, granola mum to three boys on earth, one girl who soars  
#23 of 23 Old 02-11-2010, 02:21 AM

Every time I mention that we should start thinking of baby names, DH says, "hmm" and that's pretty much the end of it, so I sympathize. It took us a LONG time last time and we only got a girl name. Hope this one is a girl, too; boy names are hard!

Mama to DD (11/07) and DS (07/10)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page