can skin tags in 'delicate' areas be removed? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-16-2010, 02:13 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Um ... so, I have a new skin tag just under my nipple It just suddenly appeared. Like Proto said in an earlier thread, no one told me about these weird pregnancy things! Can I remove it? And if so, how?

Loving mama to Aden (8/5/2010) and DSD (15).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2010, 02:29 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It's funny that you ask this. I just posted last week that I had one 'down there'! I am going to ask my doc about it at my next visit. It's really skeeving me out.

Amy, Army wife living in S. Korea, mama to my inverted t c/s baby 04.05.08 and my VBAC with inverted t baby 07.24.10
Old 02-16-2010, 02:30 AM

I don't know what kind you have or if the area would hurt to pinch, but I sometimes get these on my neck. I usually remove them myself by pinching them in between my fingernails right at the area that has no feeling and is really thin. They are kind of odd, because the end actually has some feeling and is thicker, then there is sort of loose line of skin leading up to the end that is thin and really has no feeling. If you can squeeze that and pull it off, it doesn't hurt that bad. It might take a couple attempts and it will bleed a little. May sound gross, but I'd rather do that then pay a co-pay and then be charged later to have the thing removed (my insurance doesn't cover it - I've had moles removed before and I get billed).
Old 02-16-2010, 03:17 AM

So, this will probably gross everyone out. I use fingernail clippers to cut mine off. It hurts a little and sometimes bleeds a lot, but it's better than having those things "hanging" around

~Manessa mama to one teenageer, one tweenager, and a toddler

Old 02-16-2010, 03:50 AM

I'm not in your ddc, but skin tags are really common in pregnancy and usually go away on their own eventually. But I've yanked off a few too.

Diane, SAHM to DD (June 05) and DS (April 07).
::::
Old 02-16-2010, 05:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancouver Mommy View Post
I'm not in your ddc, but skin tags are really common in pregnancy and usually go away on their own eventually. But I've yanked off a few too.
Mine don't go anywhere. They keep growing and eventually turn into moles. Gross.

Amy, Army wife living in S. Korea, mama to my inverted t c/s baby 04.05.08 and my VBAC with inverted t baby 07.24.10
Old 02-16-2010, 01:22 PM

During my last pregnancy I had a skin tag develop that was attached well enough that me pinching or clipping it off was.not.an.option.

I spoke to my midwife about it and she said they were easy enough to remove but they wanted to wait until post-pregnancy since removing during pregnancy would lead to excessive bleeding - all that extra blood volume apparenlty does more than just make your gums bleed.

Me (36), my DH (37), our DD (12/07), and our new DS (7/7/10)
Old 02-16-2010, 06:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarasattva View Post
all that extra blood volume apparenlty does more than just make your gums bleed.
Yeah, like make your nose bleed. Daily. While nose bleeds are not uncommon for me in the winter, they sure aren't a daily occurrence (yep, I have a humidifier on my desk at work and in the bedroom). Luckily it's not enough blood to drip, but blowing my nose sure isn't pleasant.

Anyway - thanks everyone. I will be taking care of this tonight, or at least attempting to do so! If it really is too much blood I'll remember for next time

Loving mama to Aden (8/5/2010) and DSD (15).
Old 02-17-2010, 12:40 PM

numb it first with some ice if you're going to use tweezers! Ouch!

Doctors use liquid nitrogen and they drop off. You can prob DIY. Don't know if that's suitable for the nipple though.

Emma - Welsh Wife to DH and Mummy to DS, Lloyd 13/08/07 and Cerys 15/07/10
Living in Russia
Old 02-17-2010, 02:26 PM

I use nail clippers too, the beveled edges work great on getting the tag without your skin. Clean the area, clean the clippers before hand and then afterward...they usually do not bleed for me.

Nursing student, (LAST SEMESTER!!!)Cloth diapering, cosleeping, breastfeeding mama to 4!!!
Old 02-18-2010, 01:32 AM

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by neonalee View Post
Yeah, like make your nose bleed. Daily. While nose bleeds are not uncommon for me in the winter, they sure aren't a daily occurrence (yep, I have a humidifier on my desk at work and in the bedroom). Luckily it's not enough blood to drip, but blowing my nose sure isn't pleasant.

Anyway - thanks everyone. I will be taking care of this tonight, or at least attempting to do so! If it really is too much blood I'll remember for next time
Ugh! Me, too!! I just always expect that every other time I blow or wipe my nose there will be some blood!! Yuck! Oh well, that's pregnancy.

I had a HUGE skin tag appear when I was pg with DS1 "down there" in a rather awkward place. I did what most of these ladies are suggesting and just removed it myself. As I recall, it took a few attempts & it hurt like Hell, but only for a minute. It did bleed some, but not for long. You could use some liquid skin to stop the bleeding & seal it up. I would also suggest sterilizing nail clippers before using them- just in case DH sneaks your good clippers to do his toes, lol!

Wife to since '98; Homeschooling, just completed my doctorate & becoming crunchier by the day; Mom to DSs: 06/10,12/05, & 1/99 & 1 on the way (3/15)
Old 02-20-2010, 04:26 PM

I've had one on my labia for years - it's not going anywhere! I have no desire to have it removed. Does the one on your nipple bother you a lot?

Third generation WOHM. I work by choice.
Old 02-21-2010, 12:08 AM

Once your not pg, you can treat them with Oregano oil (contraindicated during pg) and they'll fall off. Although, depending on how close it is to your nipple and if you feel it might bother bfing, you might wait until after bfing is done to use the oil.

Zoie, granola mum to three boys on earth, one girl who soars  
Old 02-21-2010, 01:14 AM

Could you use a thread and tie it off until it drops off? I have 2 in a very bad place and i want them off badly. Asked gyno who said ins wouldn't cover it but would do it next time but never did. argh! I'm not even sure they are skin tags though gyno seemed to think so. They irritate badly during that time of the month. I absolutely hate them. I cannot imagine taking nail clippers to it *cringe*. And where it's at freezing isn't going to work It is so embarrassing. I worry someone will think it's an std, though I've never cheated so that seems like a stupid reason but it still bothers me. There's no thin spot on mine

User Tag List