Feb 28 - March 6 Weekly Chat thread - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-01-2010, 04:57 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What's the scoop going on in your life lately mommas?

Aimee Blessed Momma to 4 amazing boys, P ~ 9 H ~ 7 J ~ 4 and B ~ 1.  Happily married to D Living my almost dream life on an urban homestead, hoping for our forever land to find us soon!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2010, 04:58 AM - Thread Starter

I just got done catching up on all my DVR'd TV shows, only 3 hrs worth, but the last 20 mins I got to sit and watch my belly flip and flop around courtesy of my sweet little being. Ahhh...I'm in LOVE already!

Aimee Blessed Momma to 4 amazing boys, P ~ 9 H ~ 7 J ~ 4 and B ~ 1.  Happily married to D Living my almost dream life on an urban homestead, hoping for our forever land to find us soon!

Old 03-01-2010, 06:09 AM

I've got new complaints. Carpal tunnel syndrome and sciatic pain. The carpal tunnel is the reason I'm trying the Brewer's diet. I'm wondering if I'm retaining more water than I ought to be and if this is causing undo nerve pressure resulting in the pain. I can't sleep anymore for more than 3 hours at a time. And DP still insists on trying to bone me despite the fact that 1) I'm in pain every day 2) I'm exhausted everyday 3) I'm nauseated everyday. I'm starting to question his intelligence, and need to have another talk with him.

hide.gif Me 41, single mom to modifiedartist.gifdd 4/2001 and demon.gif ds 7/17/2010

Old 03-01-2010, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrilein View Post
And DP still insists on trying to bone me despite the fact that 1) I'm in pain every day 2) I'm exhausted everyday 3) I'm nauseated everyday. I'm starting to question his intelligence, and need to have another talk with him.

But really, sometimes they just do.not.get.it. It seems like mine only wants it on my worst days

I'm in full nesting mode. My husband had a three day weekend and each day I had a list of things for us to get done. Amazingly, we got it all done. The biggest parts of it were cleaning the yard, raking up old leaves, poop scooping, putting things away, etc. Today we started planting seeds in paper pots for our garden and it was snowing but 6-8 weeks from now we should be having some spring around here. We also cleaned out our office/guest one day to be this new baby's room. We aren't converting it to a nursery any time soon but I at least wanted it cleaned and organized. I've also had fun ordering my diaper stash and other new baby stuff.

I'll be 21 weeks this week and I can't believe it. I'm still not feeling much movement (AP) but I am really starting to look like i have a basketball under my shirt

Amy, Army wife living in S. Korea, mama to my inverted t c/s baby 04.05.08 and my VBAC with inverted t baby 07.24.10
Old 03-01-2010, 11:10 AM

Well I'm Wales on St David's Day (patron saint of Wales) and the sky is blue!
4 hr flight, 4 hr bus and then 1 hour in the car, just me and DS. He was a trooper but his sleep is out of whack. Woke up at 3am on Sunday and 5am today! I am exhausted!
My Sister is 42 wks today so went into hospital yesterday for a prostagladin suppository. 6 hours later had another. Had a bloody show this morning and last I heard, 3 hrs ago, contractions were stronger and 1-2 mins apart.
This is her second baby and I'm suprised at how long it's taking. Babe is (was (?) slightly posterior though.

So last night DS and my niece shared a bed and I slept in the room next door. I got no rest because:
a) niece was coughing all night
b) no stairgates in my Dad's house
c) I have trouble relaxing!

Yawn!

Emma - Welsh Wife to DH and Mummy to DS, Lloyd 13/08/07 and Cerys 15/07/10
Living in Russia
Old 03-01-2010, 12:15 PM

So Welsh, your sister is finally doing it! Mine is still very much pregnant, at 41 weeks. Had some show a few days ago and the midwife said she was very ready to go, but nothing's happened yet!

Went bra shopping with my sister yesterday--there was a BOGO sale on Warner's boxed bras at Sears, and I now have 5 awesome nursing bras, which I'm wearing already because my others are all too tight. It was super fun to shop together--we haven't done that for a LONG time!

Marja: consensual-living, unschooling, piano-teaching, doula and mom to 3 creative, independent people:
DD, 8, DS, 6, and Baby DS born July 1, 2010 Married to DH for 10 years!
Old 03-01-2010, 01:54 PM - Thread Starter

Good luck to both your sisters! Hoping for a smooth and easy birth for them!

Old 03-01-2010, 02:03 PM

I am so frigging angry I could stomp on my celing! SERIOUSLY PEOPLE GRRRRROWL! (ok not angry at anyone here...just to clear that up) can someone PLEASE tell the crazy people that what other people think doesn't matter and that whenever they make an innocent statement/remark and you jump down thier poor throats its embarrasing/uncomfortable/upsetting and just plain mean. I understand that some poeple are just super duper defensive but jezum crow murphey SETTLE down.
Who cares if someone doesn't like your country? seriously? are you so petty or your country so weak that if one measly person you happen to be kinda sorta know makes a stupid blanket remark as a joke do you really think that your country cannot stand up for itself? egads.
Sorry bout that folks...I think pregnancy hormones are finally getting to me...hehe.
I woke up at 5:30 am today and usually am not up until 7:30 PLUS I have a kiddo coming down with a cold and I am stressing that her asthma/reactive airway is going to flair up.then this stupid drama with some idjiot...egads.
On the good side though my first order of fluffy mail will b here soon and I have lots of baby clothing. Now to go pick out a baby bedding set...
Old 03-01-2010, 02:22 PM

So I haven't participated in the weekly chat threads yet but here goes.

DD's second birthday is coming up in 3 weeks and I am in cake making overdrive. I think I am feeling a bit scared/sad/confused about having another child. I love this baby I am carrying so much already! But part of me feels that omg feeling of loosing the 100% undivided attention to dd. So I am expressing it in the birthday party I think. I want it to be really special for her and show her how much I want to celebrate her. So here I go out shopping, again for cake pans!!!

Otherwise I am thrilled with Olympic gold!! That was an awesome game last night! Sorry to my American sisters though! And really sorry about the embarrassingly tacky kitschy closing ceremony! ayayay..I wanted to hide under the blanket and not watch!!

Also, I have been having some uncomfortably tight contractions. Will talk to the midwife about them this week. I've checked my cervix and it's not dilating. I'm drinking tons of water and taking calmag supplements, vit c etc...But I am still a tad worried to have preterm labour again. But that all started at 30 weeks last time, not 21! Ah well, I delivered at 38 weeks so it turned out ok. Hope it goes well this time.

SAHM to DD 03/08 & DD 06/10 made with love with my DP

Old 03-01-2010, 03:05 PM

Oh lord, nesting! I think I'm always nesting, though, pregnant or not! My dh had a 3 day weekend too and so we've been painting the kitchen. The paint looks great but we've had nowhere to prepare food or eat, and all the things I usually get done (laundry, bills, cleaning!!) are not getting done! So it's kind of a nightmare right now...getting it finished and cleaned up today. It's so exciting!! It was the last ugly room in the house, the room we've not "done" yet b/c we wanted to be able to fully remodel it...but since that's not realistic and not happening, it at least needed painting and sprucing!

I totally fell of the step stool while painting yesterday, landed on dh who was under me and spilled my jar of paint everywhere!! It was awful, I was crying. I just don't have the same sense of space and balance right now I guess! yikes.

Trying to relax and take it easy periodically but I'm really such a driven maniac, it's hard to find the time!!

I am SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOo excited about this baby. I love it more each day. I'm feeling so sure it's a girl, glad I'm getting the u/s in a week. Then I'll be able to let some anxiety over names/gender and placenta placement and stuff all go (hopefully!).

Have a good week mamas!! Can't wait to hear of the sister's babies!

JENNY, 38~ preschool teacher, birth activist, sun worshiper, singer, married for 17 years and mom to

Karan 15, Fiona 12, Bodhi 10, Bjorn 6, Devon 3, and Robin Taylor born January 16th!

Old 03-01-2010, 05:13 PM

Terrilein.......sorry you are in pain, not getting sleep and your DP is pestering you! Hopefully a talk with him will work.

welsh........good luck to your sister

To all the nesting mamas: I'm so jealous! We aren't living in the house we'll be in when baby is born so I don't have much to do. We're selling soon so I can't wait to get into my new house and nest away.

I'm happy today because dh is finally home from working the Olympics, DD is very happy too. Although............he brought DD back a souvenier COW BELL...........who buys a cow bell for a 2 year old? Oh well, she really loves it and she's actually being pretty good with not using it constantly. We had a great night last night watching the gold medal game......I had such an adrenaline rush . I'm so proud of all the athletes. I really think I've been feeling some definite movement.........I've been unsure for a few weeks now but I'm thinking this is the real deal. So exciting. Our ultrasound is tomorrow, can't wait to see this baby. We also just booked a vacation to Hawaii so we are happy about that too.

Lana: Mama to Mya Oct/2007 and Ainsley July/2010
Old 03-01-2010, 05:48 PM

hey mamas!

i haven't been on here too much lately...........the comp screen is giving me headaches, and every time i get on, my 2 yo ds wants me to "do letters with me mom!". dd, 4, does starfall with dh everyday, and now ds is all about it. it's really cute, but their screens are sooooo freakin' bright i feel like hurling after doing 1 letter.

the baby is moving constantly!

it's so weird, this pregnancy i am worried about stuff i never was before, like down syndrome and cerebral palsy and stillbirth. ugh, those dreaded "third-baby" fears.

it's good to see all you mamas are still doing relatively good, and babies are good too!

dh and i just had our 6th anniversary yesterday, and it was nice! i made brunch with mimosas, because, well, brunch is not really brunch without them! dh also found a ring he likes - carved jade - and he is wearing it all the time. he has never worn a ring before, not because he didn't want to, but because the metal ones bother him too much to play bass.

he also found this RAD ring maker guy online. not exactly our style, as far as shape goes, but just absolutely GORGEOUS lapidary stone cut rings.

and we're trying to make some living arrangements and buy a small travel trailer to renovate with solar and green materials. that project is going reeeealllly slowly, and i'm about to royally FREAK OUT. ah well, it'll come together. i'm in uber-nesting mode and it's a little difficult to nest when we're going to be moving anytime.

so with everything going on lately, fortunately, i haven't had much time or energy to devote to my fears.
Old 03-02-2010, 12:33 AM - Thread Starter

I got my first goodies for the new babe, the babylegs I'd ordered and an amber necklace to match his/her big brothers. I can't wait to use these!

In other bittersweet news, my 25 month old is done with diapers! He's been peeing on the potty for a good month or two but wouldn't poop and would constipate himself for days on end, which is totally not like him, but this weekend something changed and he's doing everything on the toilet! WOOT WOOT!! I'm so excited but sad, I wasn't ever sad when my oldest was in sposies and he was done, but cloth they are just so cute, its sad to put them away!

Old 03-02-2010, 01:58 AM

Uhhh yeah...my nesting is definatly taken on the form of shopoholic deals...I have reached the point of needing to restrain myself. And I am only halfway there! Oh well...still lots more stuff I could buy and I am not...dh should be proud .
Old 03-02-2010, 01:30 PM

Nesting - yes! Unfortunately I'm caught in that trap of not having the time to nest...between working full time, spending a lot of time with DD, taking care of the day-to-day, and sugaring....nesting? What?

Yes! It's sugaring season! The sap started running early, so we are running around like chickens with our heads cut off getting ready for our first boil today. We usually make about 25-30 gallons of maple syrup per season, enough for gifts and to sell some. It's a lot of fun; but it's a lot MORE fun when I can drink beer! I'm not a big drinker, but boiling requires standing around, stoking the fire, and drinking beer. It will be a bit less fun this year.

DD is SO excited about it, but we're not sure how it will work out - raging hot fire, boiling sap and syrup, and excited 2 year old? Hmmm. We'll see.

My hips & pelvis continue to be a problem. A friend of mine is seeing a pelvic physical therapist for addressing post-birth pain, and she's checking to see if she also does prenatal care. She told me some amusing stories about some of her experiences - checking to see her pelvic floor strength, and the PT offering her um, "dilators in graduated sizes". Ahem.

Back to the grind, have to try and finish up some work before boiling this afternoon. Lots to do - and my stupid network keeps freezing grumble.
Old 03-02-2010, 01:51 PM

Slgt...you can just express ship all that lovely sugary sappy goodness straight to my house!!
Old 03-02-2010, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chattyprincess View Post
Slgt...you can just express ship all that lovely sugary sappy goodness straight to my house!!
ditto

Living in Russia
Old 03-02-2010, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletBegonias View Post
hey mamas!

i haven't been on here too much lately...........the comp screen is giving me headaches, and every time i get on, my 2 yo ds wants me to "do letters with me mom!". dd, 4, does starfall with dh everyday, and now ds is all about it. it's really cute, but their screens are sooooo freakin' bright i feel like hurling after doing 1 letter.

the baby is moving constantly!

it's so weird, this pregnancy i am worried about stuff i never was before, like down syndrome and cerebral palsy and stillbirth. ugh, those dreaded "third-baby" fears.

it's good to see all you mamas are still doing relatively good, and babies are good too!

dh and i just had our 6th anniversary yesterday, and it was nice! i made brunch with mimosas, because, well, brunch is not really brunch without them! dh also found a ring he likes - carved jade - and he is wearing it all the time. he has never worn a ring before, not because he didn't want to, but because the metal ones bother him too much to play bass.

he also found this RAD ring maker guy online. not exactly our style, as far as shape goes, but just absolutely GORGEOUS lapidary stone cut rings.

and we're trying to make some living arrangements and buy a small travel trailer to renovate with solar and green materials. that project is going reeeealllly slowly, and i'm about to royally FREAK OUT. ah well, it'll come together. i'm in uber-nesting mode and it's a little difficult to nest when we're going to be moving anytime.

so with everything going on lately, fortunately, i haven't had much time or energy to devote to my fears.
Wow! Sounds like you're busy! Hope you're getting a few moments peace....

Living in Russia
Old 03-02-2010, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chattyprincess View Post
Uhhh yeah...my nesting is definatly taken on the form of shopoholic deals...I have reached the point of needing to restrain myself. And I am only halfway there! Oh well...still lots more stuff I could buy and I am not...dh should be proud .
I'm feeling so many urges to shop too!
Fortunately for my DH, our bank has started a 'verified by visa' thing for online shopping. It won't let me register for some reason we can't figure out. Probably something to do with being in Russia, the epicentre of internet fraud.
Grrr.

Living in Russia
Old 03-02-2010, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrgs View Post
I'm happy today because dh is finally home from working the Olympics, DD is very happy too. Although............he brought DD back a souvenier COW BELL...........who buys a cow bell for a 2 year old?

We also just booked a vacation to Hawaii so we are happy about that too.
Jealous about the vacation...not so much about the cow bell!!!!

Living in Russia
Old 03-02-2010, 03:59 PM

[QUOTE=mamakaikai;15130550]
DD's second birthday is coming up in 3 weeks and I am in cake making overdrive. I think I am feeling a bit scared/sad/confused about having another child. I love this baby I am carrying so much already! But part of me feels that omg feeling of loosing the 100% undivided attention to dd. So I am expressing it in the birthday party I think. I want it to be really special for her and show her how much I want to celebrate her. So here I go out shopping, again for cake pans!!!

Totally feel your pain. I have already bought dinosaur cookie cutters, cupcake cases and loot bag fillers for DS's birthday in August! I'm that worried about him being pushed aside.

Sorry to hear about the contractions! Keep us posted

Living in Russia
Old 03-02-2010, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma2DoubleCuties View Post
I got my first goodies for the new babe, the babylegs I'd ordered and an amber necklace to match his/her big brothers. I can't wait to use these!

In other bittersweet news, my 25 month old is done with diapers! He's been peeing on the potty for a good month or two but wouldn't poop and would constipate himself for days on end, which is totally not like him, but this weekend something changed and he's doing everything on the toilet! WOOT WOOT!! I'm so excited but sad, I wasn't ever sad when my oldest was in sposies and he was done, but cloth they are just so cute, its sad to put them away!
I'm feeling the same way about putting my cloth away.............DD is has been using the potty for about a month or so now. I'm torn because I am enjoying my little break from diaper laundry and diapering but I also miss all my cute fluff!! Oh well..........soon enough we'll be breaking it all out again. Yay for your LO!!!

Today is our ultrasound..........I'm feeling a little bit nervous, I just want baby to be healthy in there. We're very excited to see the baby and have DD see as well.

Lana: Mama to Mya Oct/2007 and Ainsley July/2010
Old 03-03-2010, 05:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slgt View Post

Yes! It's sugaring season! The sap started running early, so we are running around like chickens with our heads cut off getting ready for our first boil today. We usually make about 25-30 gallons of maple syrup per season, enough for gifts and to sell some. It's a lot of fun; but it's a lot MORE fun when I can drink beer! I'm not a big drinker, but boiling requires standing around, stoking the fire, and drinking beer. It will be a bit less fun this year.

DD is SO excited about it, but we're not sure how it will work out - raging hot fire, boiling sap and syrup, and excited 2 year old? Hmmm. We'll see.
Sounds like so much fun! maple syrup is pretty much the best thing ever.. lucky you! I'm sure your DD will fit in to the scene alright, just make sure she knows how ouchy the fire etc. is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma2DoubleCuties View Post

I'm jealous!! My DD who is 5 1/2 still needs to wear diapers at night.. it's something I really wish I didn't have to do. I think she's sensitive to foods as to the reason why she still pees the bed. But yeah, I really hope she stops doing this by the time the baby comes. arg.

I'm feeling good, but grumpy these days. I'm in my new place and want to make curtains and all that, but I don't have the time or energy after working 20 hours a week with demanding draining kids with disabilities. (not saying all people with disabilities are like this, but these kids sure are!)

I'm 21 weeks this week and have a midwife appointment on Wednesday. I'm excited about getting measured etc.. I'm so funny. Last pregnancy I was so independent and had a UC.
Old 03-03-2010, 06:50 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrgs View Post
I'm happy today because dh is finally home from working the Olympics, DD is very happy too. Although............he brought DD back a souvenier COW BELL...........who buys a cow bell for a 2 year old? Oh well, she really loves it and she's actually being pretty good with not using it constantly.
A coworker of dh's gave him a souvenier from the Olympics -- a "gold medal" made of chocolate with the red/white/blue striped ribbon to hang it around your neck. Dh gave this to me but when dd1 saw it she just FREAKED OUT! She was so excited and asked to take it for Show And Tell at school (JK) so I said okay. The children just FREAKED OUT and thought this was the COOLEST THING EVER! Later that night, dd1 mournfully confessed that she and two of her friends ate it at snack time. Oh I love kids.

Enjoy your Hawaii trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletBegonias View Post
This work is unbelievably cool! I have never seen anything like this so varied. Thanks for posting that link.

Good luck with working on the new living arrangements.

Quote:
Nesting - yes! Unfortunately I'm caught in that trap of not having the time to nest...between working full time, spending a lot of time with DD, taking care of the day-to-day, and sugaring....nesting? What?
[...]
My hips & pelvis continue to be a problem. A friend of mine is seeing a pelvic physical therapist for addressing post-birth pain, and she's checking to see if she also does prenatal care. She told me some amusing stories about some of her experiences - checking to see her pelvic floor strength, and the PT offering her um, "dilators in graduated sizes". Ahem.
Mmmm sugaring! eeys As for the dilators in graduated sizes, she's not the only one who had that talk with her HCP. After the second child things have not been the same, and my MW (who is young with three daughters) tells me after the third, things just change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by majazama View Post
I'm 21 weeks this week and have a midwife appointment on Wednesday. I'm excited about getting measured etc.. I'm so funny. Last pregnancy I was so independent and had a UC.
Maybe it's the "mothering the mother" that MWs provide that feels good this time?

To everyone giant s to those who need them.

***TMI GROSSNESS ALERT*** Over here poor dd2 has a tummy bug that started with barfing and is now in diahhrea mode. I'm tired and a bit eeked out by changing all these diahhrea diapers. The smell and my Bionic Nose are at odds. I hope dd2 feels better soon, my heart breaks when she cries from the pain of the poop on her skin which has become red.

Things have been so hectic lately. Dh has been working the late shift so he comes home 1/2 hr before the kids go to bed. I am working FT, come home and cook dinner, baths, clean up, etc. PJs and am just utterly exhausted by the time the kids go to bed. So I do too. I have been sleeping like 9 or 9.5 hrs every night for the last couple of weeks. I have sooo needed it too, it's the only way I've been able to function and meet my responsibilities lately. Dh helped his mom move on the weekend and was away the whole time. The girls and I miss him because we've hardly seen him lately. This crazy hectic schedule is going to get a little bit easier now that the move is over, but he's still on this later shift from Mon-Thurs. I miss my husband but I'm too tired to stay up at night and hang out. I've become sick with a cold and am feeling extremely BEOTCHY and miserable. Gosh I'm sooo irritable with dh right now. Not sure why. Hormones? Other? Still no nookies here, my hymen has grown over. Sigh.

I'm going to see my MW later today and get the official results of my ultrasound. It looked like a boy when I peeked but I want to hear for sure.

I don't know why I'm up now in these wee hours of the morning. I have been doing really great these past two weeks carrying on like Super Woman and I think I have just hit a wall. I wish I could take a day off and spend it in bed sleeping and reading. I missed a lot of work last month and am trying to be better this month. Here we are on March 3rd and I'm wanting a day off. Ah well.

Thanks for listening to my moanings. I can't wait until my beotchy mood improves. I am going to meet a new pdoc tomorrow and am a bit weary. I wonder if I will like her, wonder what she will be like, am a bit weary about having to tell my story YET AGAIN. Ah well. Enough of this complaining.

wash.gif  Me  + bikenew.gif Dh =  broc1.gif  Dd1(9 yrs) + hearts.gif  Dd2(6 yrs) and blowkiss.gif Ds(3.5 yrs)
Old 03-03-2010, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mummy marja View Post
Went bra shopping with my sister yesterday--there was a BOGO sale on Warner's boxed bras at Sears, and I now have 5 awesome nursing bras, which I'm wearing already because my others are all too tight. It was super fun to shop together--we haven't done that for a LONG time!
I should have looked at your location before I went shopping today, I'd probably have figured that Canadian Sears don't have the same sales as the ones here in the US, heh. I saw this earlier and went to Sears to see if mine had the same deal going on. Sadly, no nursing bras on a BOGO sale. Though they did have BOGO other-bras, and just a really crappy selection of nursing bras (not Warner). Oh well, I found a few other things on sale.

Weirdo Mama to amazing Aurelia, age 9 & Ember Roslyn, age 3!
Old 03-03-2010, 01:58 PM

We had our "quickie" u/s this morning, just past 21 w. Placenta is posterior and looks good, and all major organs present and accounted for. That is as far as we went, though, and now I can find other things to worry about!

Has anyone else started "planning" (in your own head) what to do with other kids when you go into labor? For some reason, I'm semi-obsessed with having whomever lined up to look after DD. I also just saw a notice at my docs office that they are currently not allowing any kids under 12 into either L&D or maternity...I'm hoping that's lifted after flu season is over. I hate the thought of DD being home and worrying where her mama is! I had been hoping that DH would bring her to the hospital as soon as baby & I were settled in after delivery, and he'd had a chance to go home, eat, and shower. Ah, well. Wait & see.

DD shared her cold with me. Grumble. Germ factories! My in-laws are coming to visit in a few weeks and lend a hand during sugaring, if the sap is still running. I'm definitely planning a date night out with DH for while they are here!

Hugs everyone...we're getting there!
Old 03-03-2010, 05:38 PM

I have a new niece! Sis went into labour early Monday evening and their baby girl was born at 2 AM on Tuesday. She had a home birth at our cousin's house, since they live an hour from the hospital. She dilated quickly but pushing was really hard work and took almost 3 hours. Their baby girl is healthy and beautiful, and they've named her Aphra. She was 8 lbs 8 oz, which is pretty big in our family! They are home now (two doors down from me) so I'm doing what I can to help out. I only got 2 hours of sleep the first night, but I'm feeling pretty good and am happy about how I've been able to handle that!

I love seing my 2 kids with their new cousin--i was expecting them to mostly ignore her, but Fiona really loves her and Wyatt's been making decorations and presents for her birthday. He's the sweetest. He thinks she needs a birthday party!

Marja: consensual-living, unschooling, piano-teaching, doula and mom to 3 creative, independent people:
DD, 8, DS, 6, and Baby DS born July 1, 2010 Married to DH for 10 years!
Old 03-03-2010, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Has anyone else started "planning" (in your own head) what to do with other kids when you go into labor? For some reason, I'm semi-obsessed with having whomever lined up to look after DD.
Yes to this. I would really like it if the girls could see their brother being born, but I don't necessarily want them there for the whole labour. My mom, dh and doula will be present at the birth (planning a homebirth ) -- normally my dad would watch the kids and my mom be present at my birth. I don't have anyone from my mainstream group of friends to ask, but there is one woman that I doulaed for last July. She had a home birth, we have kept in touch and have seen each other again lately for a visit, kids play. We like each other, and I've been considering asking her to come to help with the kids or whatever. Dh doesn't want the kids there, the idea makes him very nervous, but we'll see.

I hear ya.

Enjoy your date with dh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mummy marja View Post
I have a new niece! Sis went into labour early Monday evening and their baby girl was born at 2 AM on Tuesday. She had a home birth at our cousin's house, since they live an hour from the hospital. She dilated quickly but pushing was really hard work and took almost 3 hours.
I wonder what made pushing so hard. Was the baby's head slightly malpositioned? Or -- ? Just wondering if you know.

Your kids sound so cute in their excitement for their new cousin. So adorable!

wash.gif  Me  + bikenew.gif Dh =  broc1.gif  Dd1(9 yrs) + hearts.gif  Dd2(6 yrs) and blowkiss.gif Ds(3.5 yrs)
Old 03-03-2010, 06:33 PM

Oh and in new and exciting news, dh and I (ahem) "broke the seal" so we are both happy campers today.

Guess I shoulda started that with a TMI alert.

Old 03-03-2010, 06:52 PM

Quote:

Has anyone else started "planning" (in your own head) what to do with other kids when you go into labor? For some reason, I'm semi-obsessed with having whomever lined up to look after DD. I also just saw a notice at my docs office that they are currently not allowing any kids under 12 into either L&D or maternity...I'm hoping that's lifted after flu season is over. I hate the thought of DD being home and worrying where her mama is! I had been hoping that DH would bring her to the hospital as soon as baby & I were settled in after delivery, and he'd had a chance to go home, eat, and shower. Ah, well. Wait & see.!
Yes--we have our Plan A (my parents, who live an hour away but are retired), B (my stepdaughter's best friend "Jade's" parents, who live locally but their daughter might be at Grandma's for a few weeks--they're still happy to watch SD but I'm not sure she'd be so happy to be there without her friend), and C (my husband's ex-wife--she's Plan C because she lives 90 minutes away and we don't want to end up worrying about logistics, and her missing work), which will probably be combined in some fashion. Maybe call my folks to come up (because I can't imagine labor being so quick that it'll be too late by the time they get here--and if it is, we can just tell them to meet us at the hospital or just go to Jade's house and pick up SD there) and keep SD until her mom can reasonably come/meet halfway.

Complicating matters is the custody schedule--SD is with us Tuesday evening-Saturday evening in the summer. If I go into labor on a Wednesday, all should be OK...but if it's a Tuesday morning (when we'd need to pick up SD later that day), it turns into negotiations with her mom. I still think my parents would be happy to meet her at the rendevous point (an additional 45 minutes from our house) but it's more stuff to deal with.

SD's mom actually offered to "keep" her for the summer--keep her on the school-year schedule--and we declined, because we didn't want her associating getting a new brother with spending less time at Dad's. (And the school year schedule doesn't make the logistics any easier--there's still a pick-up and a drop-off each week to worry about.)

ProtoLawyer (the now-actual lawyer, this isn't legal advice,  please don't take legal advice from some anonymous yahoo on the Internet)
Spouse (the political geek) * Stepdaughter (the artist) * and introducing...the Baby (um, he's a baby? He likes shiny things).

User Tag List