Isabella vs. Isadora, plus a few other options. grr poll option didnt work :( - Mothering Forums
July 2010 > Isabella vs. Isadora, plus a few other options. grr poll option didnt work :(
Lizzardbits's Avatar Lizzardbits 03:07 AM 03-09-2010
DH & I love Love LOVE the name Isabella, & nickname Izzy, & have loved them for years (9 y/o DD was either going to be Isabella, Tatiana, or Lillian. She's my Lillian). The super fast rise in popularity in Isabella (#2) has us rethinking girl names. I found Isadora so we could keep Izzy as a nick, it doesn't register on popularity lists since 1880-something, but is it too lord-of-the-ringish? I hear the name Isildur when I say Isadora aloud, but then I also hear "is ador-a-ble". Uffda!

Or should we 86 the whole Izzy theme & go with one of others on our short list?

EDIT: since the poll option didnt work, please look at my next post on this thread for other name options, Thank you

crbyard's Avatar crbyard 03:51 AM 03-09-2010
Ha, ha -- Isildur. I can just hear Saruman saying that. I think that Isadora IS adorable. Some might want to call her Dora and you'll probably have to fight that for a little while, but worth it. My sister named her first Emma about 2 years before the craze hit. 5 years later, she had named her daughter Isabella at the hospital but changed her mind and named her Eleanor. She is glad that she did because every time she goes out in public, people are calling "Emma" this way and that. If she had an Isabella as well it would just be too much!
stellabluz's Avatar stellabluz 03:57 AM 03-09-2010
Love the uniqueness of Isadora! There are a lot of Emma's , Ella's I hear~never such a gorgeous girl called Isadora!!

I also dont think "dora" as a nickname would come too often~
Lizzardbits's Avatar Lizzardbits 04:07 AM 03-09-2010
*Isabella
*Isadora
*Annabella
*Aubrianna, Audrianna
*Gabriella
*Glorianna
*Gwendolyn
*Josephina
*Julianna
*Vivianna

Obviously Anna and names ending in "a" are favs All names and their various nicknames go well with our last name. Middle name will be a flowery/plant name like Rose, Violet, Jasmine, Ivy, Daisy, et cetera to "go with" DD Lily as she has requested it.
wavybrains's Avatar wavybrains 04:22 AM 03-09-2010
I like Isadora best of your list, but it's a great list! Not a bad one on there
Kikibell's Avatar Kikibell 11:47 AM 03-09-2010
I also know an Isalina, NN Izzy. She's named after a grandmother, and I always thought that was a pretty name.
evjolin's Avatar evjolin 12:04 PM 03-09-2010
isadora is my favorite on your list....though i would try and keep away from the "dora" nickname because of the show. also, just an fyi--glorianna is the name of a pretty popular country band. i actually had one of their songs stuck in my head all night last night, lol....
Momma2DoubleCuties's Avatar Momma2DoubleCuties 01:19 PM 03-09-2010
Isadora is my friends daughters name and she's such a cutie! I love that name!!
beautifulnm's Avatar beautifulnm 01:27 PM 03-09-2010
I am due date crashing but I'd like to vote Isadora regardless
I love those Lemony Snicket "Series of Unfortunate Events" books far more than any adult should; in the series there is a character of particular brilliance, a triplet who is known for her verse, Isadora Quagmire. Google it!
chattyprincess's Avatar chattyprincess 03:06 PM 03-09-2010
What about Elizabeth or Elise with the nick name izzy?
aramat's Avatar aramat 03:14 PM 03-09-2010
I have an "Isabella" and oh my gosh the name is everywhere! My newborn is Julianna, and already we are seeing that name everywhere, too. Only my oldest, Rosemary, has a 'unique' name. Voting for Isadora!
Kailey's mom's Avatar Kailey's mom 03:20 PM 03-09-2010
My fav is Isabella, Bella for short But don't mind me, I'm on a twilight kick right now/well obsession
*bejeweled*'s Avatar *bejeweled* 03:24 PM 03-09-2010
Oooh I love Gabriella and Isabella both
ScarletBegonias's Avatar ScarletBegonias 05:49 PM 03-09-2010
Isadora is my favorite on your list - very beautiful, elegant and other-wordly sounding!
limette's Avatar limette 06:27 PM 03-09-2010
Not in your ddc.

We went with Isobel, I don't like the name is Isabella and we wanted Izzy as a nickname. Oddly we never call her Izzy, we call her Is or Belle/Bella.
mataji4's Avatar mataji4 07:41 PM 03-09-2010
I like Isadora. I agree that Isabella is too popular.

Annabelle is nice too. I like Gabriella but I don't like Gaby at all. Gwen is nice.

What about Sibella? We know such a cool kid named Sibella and her little sister calls her (in her tiny little voice) Sibby. I just love it and wish someone would use it b/c we can't steal a friend's name!
Oliver'sMom's Avatar Oliver'sMom 07:49 PM 03-09-2010
I love all of those names!

Isadora and Josephina are my faves

Sibella is especially beautiful too
WaitingForKiddos's Avatar WaitingForKiddos 09:45 PM 03-09-2010
I really like Isadora! There's tons of nicknames with it too so she can have her name grow with her personality.

Now, I say this gently and so you know it now before someone else says it....

wasn't Isadora the mom of Samantha the witch on Bewitched? Esadora? still a neat name to me.
2xy's Avatar 2xy 10:24 PM 03-09-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaitingForKiddos View Post
Now, I say this gently and so you know it now before someone else says it....

wasn't Isadora the mom of Samantha the witch on Bewitched? Esadora? still a neat name to me.
Endora.
mama2toomany's Avatar mama2toomany 10:53 PM 03-09-2010
I have an Izzy, she is actually an Elizabeth, but she doesn't know that. She thinks her name is Izzy.

We went with Elizabeth because it is a family name, and I didn't want to name her Isabelle because everyone it seemed was naming there kids that (04).

I was thinking Libby at first but my husband vetoed that right away because he didn't like it. So Izzy it was and is and I have no regrets.

I <3 the name Isadora, I think its precious.
Lizzardbits's Avatar Lizzardbits 02:28 AM 03-10-2010
I love the name Elizabeth too, as my middle name is a form of it, Lizbet. However due to ahh, um, not so favorite extended family member whose excrement does not stink naming their newborn Elizabeth, I cannot use it Bummer because I have a super awesome Aunt Liz whom I wouldn't mind naming baby after her.

I didn't know about the country band Glorianna. Thanks for the heads up. Bummer, as i am not a fan of country at all. When lil Shanias started popping up all around me in the late 90's I thought it a bit cheesy. Not knocking the name itself, it is pretty, just the timing/popularity of Ms. Twain+name popularity was cheesy.

Sibella is pretty, but I ran it past DH and was vetoed

Dora as a NN doesn't bother me so much, but I think if we start introducing her as Izzy right away, people won't call her Dora. That is, of course, baby is a girl and we go with Isadora. She may come out and may be a Gabriella Ivy, or Annabella Violet, or Josephina Rose.

Quandrary, yes, yet an enjoyable one I love names
becksteracious's Avatar becksteracious 02:54 AM 03-10-2010
I love Isadora, partly because Isadora Duncan was one of the pioneers of modern dance. And Izzy is such a cute nickname!
philomom's Avatar philomom 06:15 PM 03-10-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by becksteracious View Post
I love Isadora, partly because Isadora Duncan was one of the pioneers of modern dance. And Izzy is such a cute nickname!
Yes, I was coming in to remember her, too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FemE...eature=related
Up