Isabella vs. Isadora, plus a few other options. grr poll option didnt work :( - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 23 Old 03-09-2010, 02:07 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DH & I love Love LOVE the name Isabella, & nickname Izzy, & have loved them for years (9 y/o DD was either going to be Isabella, Tatiana, or Lillian. She's my Lillian). The super fast rise in popularity in Isabella (#2) has us rethinking girl names. I found Isadora so we could keep Izzy as a nick, it doesn't register on popularity lists since 1880-something, but is it too lord-of-the-ringish? I hear the name Isildur when I say Isadora aloud, but then I also hear "is ador-a-ble". Uffda!

Or should we 86 the whole Izzy theme & go with one of others on our short list?

EDIT: since the poll option didnt work, please look at my next post on this thread for other name options, Thank you

Karin, Wife to Dear Sweet English Husband~Soon to be Legally American. Mom to Zach~13, Lily~9, Alex~2, and Izzy or Zeke arriving July 2010! Living a life full of LOVE!
#2 of 23 Old 03-09-2010, 02:51 AM

Ha, ha -- Isildur. I can just hear Saruman saying that. I think that Isadora IS adorable. Some might want to call her Dora and you'll probably have to fight that for a little while, but worth it. My sister named her first Emma about 2 years before the craze hit. 5 years later, she had named her daughter Isabella at the hospital but changed her mind and named her Eleanor. She is glad that she did because every time she goes out in public, people are calling "Emma" this way and that. If she had an Isabella as well it would just be too much!

Christina, loving being a Mama to three and serving as a Co-Leader of the Holistic Moms Network, Tri-City Area, CA Chapter.

#3 of 23 Old 03-09-2010, 02:57 AM

Love the uniqueness of Isadora! There are a lot of Emma's , Ella's I hear~never such a gorgeous girl called Isadora!!

I also dont think "dora" as a nickname would come too often~
#4 of 23 Old 03-09-2010, 03:07 AM - Thread Starter

*Isabella
*Isadora
*Annabella
*Aubrianna, Audrianna
*Gabriella
*Glorianna
*Gwendolyn
*Josephina
*Julianna
*Vivianna

Obviously Anna and names ending in "a" are favs All names and their various nicknames go well with our last name. Middle name will be a flowery/plant name like Rose, Violet, Jasmine, Ivy, Daisy, et cetera to "go with" DD Lily as she has requested it.

Karin, Wife to Dear Sweet English Husband~Soon to be Legally American. Mom to Zach~13, Lily~9, Alex~2, and Izzy or Zeke arriving July 2010! Living a life full of LOVE!
#5 of 23 Old 03-09-2010, 03:22 AM

I like Isadora best of your list, but it's a great list! Not a bad one on there
#6 of 23 Old 03-09-2010, 10:47 AM

I also know an Isalina, NN Izzy. She's named after a grandmother, and I always thought that was a pretty name.

DH and I are expecting twins July 15. Holy crap wish us luck.
#7 of 23 Old 03-09-2010, 11:04 AM

isadora is my favorite on your list....though i would try and keep away from the "dora" nickname because of the show. also, just an fyi--glorianna is the name of a pretty popular country band. i actually had one of their songs stuck in my head all night last night, lol....

married to DH for 5 yrs, ds born at home 6/26/10
#8 of 23 Old 03-09-2010, 12:19 PM

Isadora is my friends daughters name and she's such a cutie! I love that name!!

Aimee Blessed Momma to 4 amazing boys, P ~ 9 H ~ 7 J ~ 4 and B ~ 1.  Happily married to D Living my almost dream life on an urban homestead, hoping for our forever land to find us soon!

#9 of 23 Old 03-09-2010, 12:27 PM

I am due date crashing but I'd like to vote Isadora regardless
I love those Lemony Snicket "Series of Unfortunate Events" books far more than any adult should; in the series there is a character of particular brilliance, a triplet who is known for her verse, Isadora Quagmire. Google it!

DS arrived 3/10/10, DD arrived 3/13/13, and a third will be joining us around 5/20/14. pos.gif
#10 of 23 Old 03-09-2010, 02:06 PM

What about Elizabeth or Elise with the nick name izzy?
#11 of 23 Old 03-09-2010, 02:14 PM

I have an "Isabella" and oh my gosh the name is everywhere! My newborn is Julianna, and already we are seeing that name everywhere, too. Only my oldest, Rosemary, has a 'unique' name. Voting for Isadora!

Tamara: Aspiring doula, partner to Brazilian musician, mom to THREE GIRLIES!
(4/01, 6/07, & 12/09)
#12 of 23 Old 03-09-2010, 02:20 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My fav is Isabella, Bella for short But don't mind me, I'm on a twilight kick right now/well obsession

familybed1.gifnovaxnocirc.gif nut.gifMommy to my amazing 6 yr old dd, we homeschool.gif, and  27 weeks belly.gifpuke.gifand have been sick the whole time so far, grrrrr!!!!!!!

#13 of 23 Old 03-09-2010, 02:24 PM

Oooh I love Gabriella and Isabella both

Me afro.jpg reading.gif Wife and Mom to modifiedartist.gif cat.gifdog2.gif.
#14 of 23 Old 03-09-2010, 04:49 PM

Isadora is my favorite on your list - very beautiful, elegant and other-wordly sounding!
#15 of 23 Old 03-09-2010, 05:27 PM

Not in your ddc.

We went with Isobel, I don't like the name is Isabella and we wanted Izzy as a nickname. Oddly we never call her Izzy, we call her Is or Belle/Bella.
#16 of 23 Old 03-09-2010, 06:41 PM

I like Isadora. I agree that Isabella is too popular.

Annabelle is nice too. I like Gabriella but I don't like Gaby at all. Gwen is nice.

What about Sibella? We know such a cool kid named Sibella and her little sister calls her (in her tiny little voice) Sibby. I just love it and wish someone would use it b/c we can't steal a friend's name!

JENNY, 38~ preschool teacher, birth activist, sun worshiper, singer, married for 17 years and mom to

Karan 15, Fiona 12, Bodhi 10, Bjorn 6, Devon 3, and Robin Taylor born January 16th!

#17 of 23 Old 03-09-2010, 06:49 PM

I love all of those names!

Isadora and Josephina are my faves

Sibella is especially beautiful too

Enjoying life with DH since 05/04 and our two boys Oliver 02/07 and Theodore 07/10 

#18 of 23 Old 03-09-2010, 08:45 PM

I really like Isadora! There's tons of nicknames with it too so she can have her name grow with her personality.

Now, I say this gently and so you know it now before someone else says it....

wasn't Isadora the mom of Samantha the witch on Bewitched? Esadora? still a neat name to me.

Cindy, joyful SAH mama to rainbow1284.gif William & Katherinefly-by-nursing2.gif Forever missing Amelia 7-12-09 angel3.gif  signcirc1.gifsaynovax.giflactivist.gif Ask me about my natural cesarean! 

#19 of 23 Old 03-09-2010, 09:24 PM
2xy

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaitingForKiddos View Post
Now, I say this gently and so you know it now before someone else says it....

wasn't Isadora the mom of Samantha the witch on Bewitched? Esadora? still a neat name to me.
Endora.
#20 of 23 Old 03-09-2010, 09:53 PM

I have an Izzy, she is actually an Elizabeth, but she doesn't know that. She thinks her name is Izzy.

We went with Elizabeth because it is a family name, and I didn't want to name her Isabelle because everyone it seemed was naming there kids that (04).

I was thinking Libby at first but my husband vetoed that right away because he didn't like it. So Izzy it was and is and I have no regrets.

I <3 the name Isadora, I think its precious.

Loving Dh, Mama x 4, Surrogate mother to 5. A born 2003, M and R girl/girl twins 2006, S and C boy/girl twins born 2010. Processing/healing.
#21 of 23 Old 03-10-2010, 01:28 AM - Thread Starter

I love the name Elizabeth too, as my middle name is a form of it, Lizbet. However due to ahh, um, not so favorite extended family member whose excrement does not stink naming their newborn Elizabeth, I cannot use it Bummer because I have a super awesome Aunt Liz whom I wouldn't mind naming baby after her.

I didn't know about the country band Glorianna. Thanks for the heads up. Bummer, as i am not a fan of country at all. When lil Shanias started popping up all around me in the late 90's I thought it a bit cheesy. Not knocking the name itself, it is pretty, just the timing/popularity of Ms. Twain+name popularity was cheesy.

Sibella is pretty, but I ran it past DH and was vetoed

Dora as a NN doesn't bother me so much, but I think if we start introducing her as Izzy right away, people won't call her Dora. That is, of course, baby is a girl and we go with Isadora. She may come out and may be a Gabriella Ivy, or Annabella Violet, or Josephina Rose.

Quandrary, yes, yet an enjoyable one I love names

#22 of 23 Old 03-10-2010, 01:54 AM

I love Isadora, partly because Isadora Duncan was one of the pioneers of modern dance. And Izzy is such a cute nickname!

Vegan mama looking forward to meeting my baby in July 2010!
#23 of 23 Old 03-10-2010, 05:15 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by becksteracious View Post
I love Isadora, partly because Isadora Duncan was one of the pioneers of modern dance. And Izzy is such a cute nickname!
Yes, I was coming in to remember her, too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FemE...eature=related

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page