If this is your last baby, what are your plans for birth control? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 34 Old 03-15-2010, 06:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So this is my last, and I want to make sure...I was thinking about tubal ligation but since I will be BF'ing I wanted a less invasive, though just as permanent, solution...what about the wires in the fallopian tubes? What are the options you are looking at?

Nursing student, (LAST SEMESTER!!!)Cloth diapering, cosleeping, breastfeeding mama to 4!!!
#2 of 34 Old 03-15-2010, 07:20 PM

DH is getting snipped...my body has been through enough junk, his turn!
#3 of 34 Old 03-15-2010, 07:34 PM

I think DH will be getting snipped, I've heard good and bad about this procedure so I'm still iffy...I just don't want to have to go in and have any procedure and will NOT be taking any sort of pills...

Aimee Blessed Momma to 4 amazing boys, P ~ 9 H ~ 7 J ~ 4 and B ~ 1.  Happily married to D Living my almost dream life on an urban homestead, hoping for our forever land to find us soon!

#4 of 34 Old 03-15-2010, 07:47 PM

DH is talking about getting the big "V" too, but if he doesn't I'll probably get a Mirena IUD again. I loved it!

~Manessa mama to one teenageer, one tweenager, and a toddler

#5 of 34 Old 03-15-2010, 08:49 PM

This is most likely our last. Pregnancy has never been easy on me, but has gotten progressively worse in the past few years, and having had many complicated losses too, we are thinking it is time to shut down the works. I have three boys to raise (hopefully four) and really need to be all there for them. The only thing that would possibly change our mind is if this pregnancy goes shockingly well with no serious complications....
But pretty sure that won't happen, SOOOO I am set on getting Essure done. I started researching 'permanent solutions' after our last loss. I get pregnant FAR too easily these days even with barrier methods, and NFP! Vasectomy, tubal ligation (various methods), and Essure. Of the 3 Essure had much lower risks than the others. It makes sense, is less invasive, and won't compromise blood supply to the ovaries. (I'm just not ready to deal with the possibility of an accidental chemical hysterectomy)

DH&Me  Christ follower, homeschooler, gardener, (insert lots of additional crunchiness here) chicken mama, & occasionally blogger. intactlact.gifMama of  boys 9,7,3.5,&11months....& SURPRISE jaw2.gif  expecting a BOY in November!  7 sweet-babes gone too soon.

#6 of 34 Old 03-15-2010, 10:04 PM

Big V for DH. We'll probably wait a year or so, during which time we'll use condoms.
#7 of 34 Old 03-15-2010, 10:10 PM

I'm wavering between IUD and Essure. I'm going to talk to my OB at the next visit on which one has fewer side effects. I really really want Essure, but the side effects of a tubal scare me since it's not like an IUD I can take out if I don't like it!

I do think I'm going to get a traditional tubal if I end up with a c section for whatever reason, but I'm not planning on that! It will be in my birth plan though just in case, it would be nice to get it all over with at once.

Mom to Liz (14) and Dillon (3) and Mitchell FINALLY born 7/11/10!
#8 of 34 Old 03-15-2010, 10:48 PM

My dh got a vasectomy 5 years ago, when I was 8 months pregnant with my daughter, so we do not need BC, but we both regret it, and are thinking about assperation for another baby once I am done this pregnancy.

Loving Dh, Mama x 4, Surrogate mother to 5. A born 2003, M and R girl/girl twins 2006, S and C boy/girl twins born 2010. Processing/healing.
#9 of 34 Old 03-15-2010, 11:32 PM

We're not 100% sure, so it'll be back on Mirena for me, as I loved my Mirena. But after a year or two, if we're still as disinclined to have another as we are now, I'll be asking dh to get a vasectomy. If we were 100% sure, I'd get a tubal during my c-section. Kind of a "hey, while you're in there poking around" thing! I've heard it's much easier that way, because you're already going to be recovering from the c/s, the tubal doesn't add any extra recovery of its own.

scifi-convention runners Kate, DH Drew 11/07, DD Cora 12/97. We , ,
Welcome to baby Fiona with a giant omphalocele, 6/17/10!
#10 of 34 Old 03-16-2010, 12:56 AM

IUD. Probably Mirena, considering Copper-T. I've had both before.

me dh ds1 (11/04) ds2 (7/10) and
#11 of 34 Old 03-16-2010, 01:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slgt View Post
Big V for DH. We'll probably wait a year or so, during which time we'll use condoms.
This is our choice too. I don't get my cycles back til 15 months-ish, and it's always very obvious. But if there's any question we use condoms. I just want some time emotionally after the birth til I have to deal with it!!

JENNY, 38~ preschool teacher, birth activist, sun worshiper, singer, married for 17 years and mom to

Karan 15, Fiona 12, Bodhi 10, Bjorn 6, Devon 3, and Robin Taylor born January 16th!

#12 of 34 Old 03-16-2010, 03:02 AM

I can't say for sure that it's my last, so maybe I'll get an IUD? Hard to say. I wish I knew one way or the other.

It's funny, but with dd, I was pretty sure she was going to be our only child until just in the last year. Now that we finally decided to have a second, I'm not sure anymore! I feel less confident this time than I did the first time, and we ended up having a second anyway, sooo.... who knows!

Weirdo Mama to amazing Aurelia, age 9 & Ember Roslyn, age 3!
#13 of 34 Old 03-16-2010, 03:26 AM

I have researched all of the options and the vasectomy seems to have the least risk for our family. The negative effects of a vas is that it is linked to an increased risk in prostate cancer. My dh has no history of prostate or much of any cancer on his side (whereas it's rampant on my side). I would never get tubal ligation because of the hormonal fallout that ensues. I am already a hormonal mess, thanks! For the same reason, hormonal pills or iuds are out. I was on the pill in my twenties and it was awful. IUDs in general freak me out. I don't like the idea that fertilization can occur but it keeps the fertilized egg from implanting. That's just my personal opinion, though. I can understand why many are drawn to the copper IUD. I just don't like the idea of something foreign in my system like that, you know? Plus, I have Bipolar Disorder II and copper toxicity could lead to problems with that. Sigh. I wish there was just a switch that we could turn off in our brains that said "I loved having babies but I am done now. Thanks for all the fish!" I hate having to ask my husband to get the vas, but I know that we really are at our limit now and we need to do something more permanent.

Christina, loving being a Mama to three and serving as a Co-Leader of the Holistic Moms Network, Tri-City Area, CA Chapter.

#14 of 34 Old 03-16-2010, 03:29 AM

I'd love to get snipped myself, but will probably go with an IUD. Not sure about that though. I use a Diva Cup and the last time I had an IUD, I was just starting to use the cup. I think my IUD was on its way out anyways, but the cup didn't help matters. I'd really hate to spend the money on an IUD that needs removal shortly afterwards.

hide.gif Me 41, single mom to modifiedartist.gifdd 4/2001 and demon.gif ds 7/17/2010

#15 of 34 Old 03-16-2010, 01:22 PM
MJB

My husband's getting a vasectomy. We had planned it already but after we found out we're having a girl (after 2 boys) we were both like, "Time to schedule that vasectomy now!" I'd like him to do it during pregnancy because my cycles come back soon after birth and I don't want to mess with anything else. I had a copper IUD after my second pregnancy, until we started getting ready to TTC. I also use a Diva cup and it didn't cause me any problems.
#16 of 34 Old 03-16-2010, 01:27 PM

Good ol' timing and withdrawal, again. It worked for us for 8 years before we started TTC. Of course, we didn't know then that we were both slightly subfertile and would never get pregnant without IUI. So although we could probably deposit all kinds of sperm in my vagina and have no worries, we'll probably try to keep it out the old fashioned way, just in case. And I'll probably still spend every end of the month worrying about being pregnant, as usual, even though my luteal phases are quite short. hmm, maybe DH should just get a vasectomy, just for the heck of it. The last thing we need is to all of the sudden get fertile when we turn 40.

Amy (34): mommy to DD1 (11/07) and DD2 (7/10), wife, wohm, and wannabe suburban homesteader.
#17 of 34 Old 03-16-2010, 03:38 PM

We can rely on the "good old fashioned way" of withdrawl as well. It's worked for years, and it seems the most accessible of all the options to us. We wouldn't be devastated to have a third, and I can't use any IUDs due to my history of ectopic pregnancy, and the permanent methods are too drastic for us now. I'm not sure if we'll want a third child in a few years, but for now, we're done, so withdrawl and timing are going to have to work (hopefully!).

A + J = Miriam (November 2006) and Raymond (June 2010)
#18 of 34 Old 03-16-2010, 06:25 PM

Count me in on the withdrawal/timing bandwagon too... it has always worked for us. And even if it failed, I'm pretty sure we are NOT done, so....

I can't take hormones (even if I wanted to) and I had a Mirena once, years ago, and HATED it, so I don't think I want to repeat the experience. Also for sure don't want to mess with hassles of condoms, diaphragms, caps, etc...

Karyn, wife to Colby partners.gif (9/4/04) and homeschooling mama to Ryan notes2.gif (3/11/08), Tyler jog.gif h20homebirth.gif (7/15/10), and a new little bean pos.gif (10/24/12)! familybed2.gif fly-by-nursing2.gifintactlact.gif saynovax.gif

#19 of 34 Old 03-16-2010, 09:26 PM

This is our last for sure. I don't know what we'll do though...DH is not comfortable with a vas because of all the issues his brothers and BILs have had with theirs. I'm actually considering a tubal. I've been reading Dr. Christiane Northrup's stuff on it and it's really good. (She wrote Women's Bodies, Women's Wisdom among other books)

We used a diaphragm for a couple of years with no pregnancies (until I lost it...that's why I'm PG now!) so we may do that again until we decide what to do permanently. We're only 31 and 34 and apparently plenty fertile...don't want to take chances!

Marja: consensual-living, unschooling, piano-teaching, doula and mom to 3 creative, independent people:
DD, 8, DS, 6, and Baby DS born July 1, 2010 Married to DH for 10 years!
#20 of 34 Old 03-16-2010, 10:10 PM

mirena. besides the initial spotting (unfortunately for me 2 months of on/off spotting) i did not get a period. I LOATHE my period. It isnt painful nor do I get pms-y, I just loathe the squishy messiness of it and fear of leaks. The iud took that away. It lasts for many years, and if we change our minds, it is quickly reversable. 1 1/2 months after it was removed, we conceived.

Im pretty sure we are done, but Im not ready to permanently give up our fertility, ya know?

Karin, Wife to Dear Sweet English Husband~Soon to be Legally American. Mom to Zach~13, Lily~9, Alex~2, and Izzy or Zeke arriving July 2010! Living a life full of LOVE!
#21 of 34 Old 03-16-2010, 10:10 PM

We're 90 % sure we're going with the Merina IUD. I loved the one I had!

Alexandria married to the love of my life Michael for 10 years! Momma to Abigail Marie 8 yo, Emma Leigh 5 yo and Ian Pierce due 7.2.10
#22 of 34 Old 03-16-2010, 10:22 PM

This is #8 and we have decided on DH getting the big "V" done. However, we don't have insurance so I don't know what we'll do in the mean time other than barrier methods or if my insurance will pay for an IUD or not.

winner.jpg Mom to 9 ~*~ 4 babygirl.gif  4 babyboy.gif & 1rainbow1284.gif(MtF) ~*~ uc.jpg  lactivist.gif novaxnocirc.gif Rainbow.gif heartbeat.gif

#23 of 34 Old 03-16-2010, 10:25 PM

here's another husband getting snipped -

actually he had a vasectomy schedule for November but this little one seems to have had other plans for us! So here we are adventure #3
#24 of 34 Old 03-17-2010, 12:31 AM

I might want more kids so no permanent options for us. We used "timing" in between my son and this pregnancy. I had the copper IUD in when I got pregnant with my son, so I probably wouldn't go that route again. I might consider the mirena although I don't like the idea of losing your period. That seems a bit too freaky and I generally hate taking any kind of hormones but the amount that your body gets from the mirena is way less than on the pill.

Canadian mom of Myron born in Japan, March 2007. Our second son born at home, wonderful HBAC in July 2010. I am a jeweller, I love creating things!

1***5****10****15****20****25****30****35**coolshine.gif*40****45, Due June 10th, 2014

#25 of 34 Old 03-17-2010, 10:46 AM

I tried to talk DH into the big snip but he's got a history of complications related to surgery "down there" and absolutely WILL NOT have anyone go near the 'boys' again. So I'll probably go with the IUD until we're 100% sure we're done. Right now, we're still on the fence about #3. We did pretty much nothing to prevent between DS and this preg. It wasn't until we consciously said "Let's start trying" that we got preg - in the first cycle. But i'm not confident with the idea of just hoping we don't get preg. I tried the pill when I was in my 20s and it was not pretty so that's not an option for me.

Allyson ~ wife to C (1/20/07), mummy to E (1/13/08) , S (7/12/2010)
We're A C E S
#26 of 34 Old 03-17-2010, 01:58 PM

I thought age (38), a tilted uterus, a myomectomy w/ some fibroids remaining, and a bad experience with a depo. shot that had me shooting eggs like I was in the wild wild west a few years ago all combined were birth control, but apparently not. I'll have to go with withdrawal. Depo. was a nightmare so I will never take a hormonal supplement and my body shape changed after the myomectomy (more weight in hips and a tummy pooch) due to hormones.

- EDD 7/29
#27 of 34 Old 03-17-2010, 11:11 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I really wish dh would get a vasectomy after all the stuff my body has gone through. But he won't. I was thinking about getting a tubal because my mom had one... haven't researched it a ton though. hmm.

Had a copper IUD last time which was great except for the CRAZY bleeding during my period. Ugh. I hated that part though.

wash.gif  Me  + bikenew.gif Dh =  broc1.gif  Dd1(9 yrs) + hearts.gif  Dd2(6 yrs) and blowkiss.gif Ds(3.5 yrs)
#28 of 34 Old 03-18-2010, 05:06 PM

I am so done with being pregnant! We want more kids, but we'll adopt from here on out. We don't have any clue how we'll prevent future pregnancies though. We don't want anything permanent because...you just never know what life may bring you, ykwim? I refuse to do anything hormonal too. I've tried every type of pill, patch, shot, mirena, you name it. It was all horrible! I'm also allergic to latex, so conventional condoms are out...and we have way too much sex to be able to afford the non-latex condoms

I guess our only options left are either the copper IUD, or the withdrawal/timing method. I'll probably give the IUD a try, and if that doesn't work we'll just have to try the old fashioned way. Seeing how I probably have around 20 more years until menopause...I'm really hoping we can find something that works!

Enjoying life with DH since 05/04 and our two boys Oliver 02/07 and Theodore 07/10 

#29 of 34 Old 03-18-2010, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver'sMom View Post
I'm also allergic to latex, so conventional condoms are out...and we have way too much sex to be able to afford the non-latex condoms
Hahahahaha. LUCKY YOU! (not the allergy, but the oodles of sex!).

Someday there'll be a fantastic, non-permanent, non-hormonal method we can all use. Maybe a sperm-deactivator for guys?

A + J = Miriam (November 2006) and Raymond (June 2010)
#30 of 34 Old 03-18-2010, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atpeace View Post
Someday there'll be a fantastic, non-permanent, non-hormonal method we can all use. Maybe a sperm-deactivator for guys?
Yeah, that's part of what is ticking me off about this whole thing. Why in the heck can't DH be the one thinking about having something surgically implanted up his penis? I hate condoms as much as he does, and I do understand not wanting to get a V since I'm on the fence about the tubal, but it is just so irritating that whatever we use has to be used on me

Mom to Liz (14) and Dillon (3) and Mitchell FINALLY born 7/11/10!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page