So, summer babies--when do you take them out? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 29 Old 03-25-2010, 12:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My mom says we shouldn't be going anywhere until 4-6 weeks. The backyard or around the block is fine, anywhere else should wait. And, even though we live half a mile from the doctor's office, we should drive because it will be too hot to walk (I live in Milwaukee and sometimes July is 70 degrees, sometimes it's 95).

While I agree that the mall and Vast Abyss Grocery Store and the Home Labrynth and big, freezing-AC, germy places like that can wait (indefinitely, as far as I'm concerned)...and, OK, a summer festival will likely be too crowded and loud, I fail to see the problem with taking Newbie to other places before 4-6 weeks, especially if the weather is nice, they're not super-crowded or noisy, and may even be outside.

Those of you with summer (or at least warm-weather) baby experience...when did you take them places other than the doctor's office?

(And yes, unless the weather is gross or I'm not physically up to it, I am intending on waking to the doctor's office for post-partum and well-baby visits. I'd love to be able to do so for prenatal visits, but I usually have to sprint off to work right after.)

ProtoLawyer (the now-actual lawyer, this isn't legal advice,  please don't take legal advice from some anonymous yahoo on the Internet)
Spouse (the political geek) * Stepdaughter (the artist) * and introducing...the Baby (um, he's a baby? He likes shiny things).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 29 Old 03-25-2010, 01:07 PM

i love babywearing~ especially wraps for newborns~ as it allows me to do what i need to do for my other kids as soon as i feel up to it, while protecting the newbie from "attack germy hands." i have a lighter weight, gauzy wrap for summer, and different fabrics for other times.

it just isn't practical for me and our family for me to be home, unless there is more of a reason than a newborn to keep me there.
#3 of 29 Old 03-25-2010, 01:17 PM

As long as baby is eating well, and as soon as I'm able to be out & about carrying baby, we'll be out. Definitely avoiding the germ fests - but it's not like baby is touching anything, anyways!

Babywearing in summer can be a bit more challenging - you just have to pay attention to how warmly you dress babe, and check skin temp if it's hot out. But it's definitely the easiest way to be out & about.

We don't have much choice - DD is not going to be content to sit around the house all the time, and my entire family is coming up for a week (not staying with us) about 3 weeks after my due date!
#4 of 29 Old 03-25-2010, 01:25 PM

I took my dd out to her cousin's first birthday party on day 5 postpartum. It was a silly idea given that I hemorrhaged at the birth and had 2nd degree tears, and it turns out that was the day my breast were most engorged. So for those reasons, I will likely be staying close to home for the first week this time. BUT by day 10, we started going out to coffee shops etc to hang out outside of the house. I'd been on bedrest for 2 months and was desperate to be out.

I see no problem with going out as soon as you feel up for it yourself. I agree slings are a really great way to keep hands off the baby and for avoiding the pass the baby like a hot potato game. It's not practical, or in my opinion, very healthy to stay cooped up in your house just because a baby is born.

SAHM to DD 03/08 & DD 06/10 made with love with my DP

#5 of 29 Old 03-25-2010, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kosheng View Post
i love babywearing~ especially wraps for newborns~ as it allows me to do what i need to do for my other kids as soon as i feel up to it, while protecting the newbie from "attack germy hands." i have a lighter weight, gauzy wrap for summer, and different fabrics for other times.

it just isn't practical for me and our family for me to be home, unless there is more of a reason than a newborn to keep me there.
but I am a Ring sling kinda momma, I may convert though.

Breastfeeding is an awesome way to protect baby from those nasty germs floating about.. so I don't hold back for that reason.

I also have an acquaintance who just attended a seminar a few weeks ago. They taught/told them about how the mothers breast are the best place for babies to be. The breast help warm up and cool off baby as the baby needs. They said it was way more effective than the warmers they hospital after the baby is born. With that said I have always carried my newborn in the upright position, froggied in between my breast... I was doing good in the means of temperature control and didn't even know it.

A wife to A, unschoolen mom to C (7), T (3) & little A (9 months).
Hey Nena, I know you are creepen on me. privateeyes.gif  Get a life. 
#6 of 29 Old 03-25-2010, 02:03 PM

I would say it really depends more on how YOU are feeling physically. It is easy to accidently over do in the first week-10 days so go a bit easy on your self for a bit. but...In all three cases for me I was in church on the Sunday following birth and doing my own grocery shopping by 10 days pp.
Babywearingand breastfeeding are a great combo to keep your littleone healthy and germy stranger hands away. My youngest was a July baby too. I made a seersucker/gausy wrap and he lived in that for the first 3 months or so.

DH&Me  Christ follower, homeschooler, gardener, (insert lots of additional crunchiness here) chicken mama, & occasionally blogger. intactlact.gifMama of  boys 9,7,3.5,&11months....& SURPRISE jaw2.gif  expecting a BOY in November!  7 sweet-babes gone too soon.

#7 of 29 Old 03-25-2010, 02:18 PM

My first was born in August. I took her out as soon as I felt good enough to go out (c-section). She was a tiny little thing. I remember 2 weeks PP when I had her in her carseat in an icecream parlor and she got lots of looks.
I'm pretty laid back, we had her up to the cottage at 2 weeks old (300km from home). She went to her first family reunion at 10 days old (with a few hundred people) - we were still really struggling with breastfeeding at that time so it was kinda aquward to be fiddling around with so many people around.
#8 of 29 Old 03-25-2010, 02:59 PM

baby goes where i go, in a wrap or a sling. however, i didn't feel up to going anywhere for about two weeks.

my advice, don't worry about it. enjoy your babymoon when your baby comes, and use common sense and mama intuition. you'll be fine.

Lindsay + Trev = DD RóisÃ*n (9/07) & DS Ãamonn (7/2010)
#9 of 29 Old 03-25-2010, 03:06 PM

I want to stay close to home as much as possible in the first 2 months but it's just not practical to NEVER go out. I won't do the shopping though. And I'll definitely stay home until breastfeeding is well established and I'm feeling pretty energetic. The best thing you can do for babe is rest and eat well, and those things are hard to do if you're going places a lot. I think most women do too much in the first few months, and then run into problems due to lack of supply. Staying at home and in bed for the first weeks is a really, really good investment!

Marja: consensual-living, unschooling, piano-teaching, doula and mom to 3 creative, independent people:
DD, 8, DS, 6, and Baby DS born July 1, 2010 Married to DH for 10 years!
#10 of 29 Old 03-25-2010, 03:12 PM

With DD, I was just worn out on many levels, and she hated the car seat. HATED. It was right around 4 weeks that we started going out, but I have no intention of doing that again---I don't think it was good for my moods at all. This time, I've got my babywearing stash of ring slings, wraps, and carriers, and I plan to be at the park with DD and out and about as soon as I feel up to it--I'll let my physical health be the judge. The baby is so much more protected from germs when you wear him/her. I didn't ever take the carseat thingy into grocery stores and I didn't use a stroller until DD was much older and heavier--this cuts down on germs considerably. Wash your hands frequently when out/use hand santizer, and you cut down more. Keep yourself well hydrated since that keeps your milk supply nice and big and use common sense, but get out there! Since this is your first, you have the luxury of going to low-germ, low-traffic places like getting a coffee, walking a park path, going to smaller, downtown-type stores, meeting a friend, or even just doing lunch by yourself or with DH. Honestly, if you're not a stay-at-home type person now, you will feel so much better if you do get out, even just for a short time most days. I know it will be trickier for me with the toddler--other germy toddlers do worry me.
#11 of 29 Old 03-25-2010, 04:49 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sweetboysmom View Post
I would say it really depends more on how YOU are feeling physically. It is easy to accidently over do in the first week-10 days so go a bit easy on your self for a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leanbh View Post
baby goes where i go, in a wrap or a sling. however, i didn't feel up to going anywhere for about two weeks.

my advice, don't worry about it. enjoy your babymoon when your baby comes, and use common sense and mama intuition. you'll be fine.

Me + Dh = Dd1(9.5 yrs) + Dd2(7 yrs) and Ds(4.5 yrs)
#12 of 29 Old 03-25-2010, 05:07 PM

Well dd was born July 26 in duluth mn and at 11 days old drove over 6 hours to an airport, hopped a plane and flew to boston and a day later drove with our inlaws (of course all of this is with dh and myself) from portland maine to nova scotia (longest drive of mylife!). My dh was best man in his bros wedding and so we had to be there and participate in all the ridiculous what not of a wedding (well not ridiculous unless you are there with a 2 week old baby and just want to sleep!) after the wedding we drove to northern maine and hung out at my inlaws camp where we had a "welcome baby" shower, baptisim and basically hung around with a crazy amount of people.
So long story really long you can go out and do whatever the heck you want as soon as you feel like it. I think its silly to put a "time period" around this...just me though. I will say not to PLAN anything until after baby comes because only goodness knows when you will get the knack of feeding or when you will stop feeling like a wet disaster... lol
#13 of 29 Old 03-25-2010, 07:51 PM

It is very hot and humid here in the summer and even if the baby was ok, I'm not sure I will be. I am a heavy sweater anyway but postpartum I pour buckets of sweat. I mean, embarrassingly so. Just going from the house to the van makes me sweaty in the peak of the summer. Add a wrap and a baby and I am pretty sure we'd both be soaking wet. I remember wearing my son in the Ergo around 4 months old, in August, to take our dogs out to pee and coming back inside and having to change both of us because I sweated all over us! So gross!

So I don't know, I guess the first couple of weeks we will stick to the house and then just go with the flow. I'm sure that I'll want to get out and my husband will be off for a month so I guess he can go cool the van down before I get in it and we will just stick to indoor activities with a wrap or sling until September when it cools off some.

Amy, Army wife living in S. Korea, mama to my inverted t c/s baby 04.05.08 and my VBAC with inverted t baby 07.24.10
#14 of 29 Old 03-25-2010, 08:20 PM

I haven't had any summer weather babies, but have had all my others in COLD COLD weather and cool weather and like everyone else said, breastfeeding and babywearing are so wonderful to protect the baby from germs. I can't be coop'd up too much or I'll go stir crazy and with 3 others kids I'm sure they'll be feeling the effects if we stay home too long. So I'm saying we'll probably wait a few days but then be back to our "normal" routine.

Aimee Blessed Momma to 4 amazing boys, P ~ 9 H ~ 7 J ~ 4 and B ~ 1.  Happily married to D Living my almost dream life on an urban homestead, hoping for our forever land to find us soon!

#15 of 29 Old 03-25-2010, 09:39 PM

Dillon was born in August and I was bringing him all over the place by the time he was a week old. I get stir crazy staying in the house, I just took it easy physically and I felt mostly fine. My ped asked me to avoid places where people would be getting in his face or super close to him, like church, but the grocery or mall or park is fine. I just wore him a lot so I didn't have to worry about people coming up and getting in his face in the car seat.

Mom to Liz (14) and Dillon (3) and Mitchell FINALLY born 7/11/10!
#16 of 29 Old 03-25-2010, 09:52 PM
MJB

I had winter babies but we were out by 2-3 days postpartum. I'll probably go out more in the summer!
#17 of 29 Old 03-25-2010, 10:27 PM

When I saw the title "So, summer babies--when do you take them out?" my first reaction was to reply - you do know that "bun in the oven" is just a metaphor, right?
#18 of 29 Old 03-25-2010, 11:20 PM

Last two babies were born in Hawaii. Never worried much about the heat...sun exposure yes but not heat. Don't over dress them and keep shaded and they were always fine.

Amanda - loving the love of my life C and our beautiful children. K#1 (3/02), K#2 (1/07) and newly expecting K#3 (7/10)
#19 of 29 Old 03-25-2010, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by somegirl99 View Post
When I saw the title "So, summer babies--when do you take them out?" my first reaction was to reply - you do know that "bun in the oven" is just a metaphor, right?
I was thinking that too!

Aimee Blessed Momma to 4 amazing boys, P ~ 9 H ~ 7 J ~ 4 and B ~ 1.  Happily married to D Living my almost dream life on an urban homestead, hoping for our forever land to find us soon!

#20 of 29 Old 03-26-2010, 12:51 AM

ddc crashing--we live in high heat area so wrapping and even slinging for too long isn't a very good idea--overheating both mama and baby. But when we're indoors, it's fine. (Well, I'm still hot...)

I'm sort of the stay at home a lot type after birth. Or if I'm stir crazy, we go to friends' homes and such. I stay away from stores and church for 4-8 wks. My first two were born in the winter and since we have mild winters, rsv season is long. I thought a summer baby (end of May) would be so much easier, but it was basically the same--there was a nasty summer bug going around, it was HOT, and I was sweaty and uncomfortable outside. I hated it so much that I'm doing it again--in August! (Which is the hottest month here, lol)

caution: one-handed nak

typos likely

#21 of 29 Old 03-26-2010, 12:55 AM

I've had May and June babies...my experience is that it's way way harder to stay cooped up in home with them, but worth it. At 10 days I took my dd out to a mother's day brunch and she was so "good" and slept for like 4 hours and later I got a breast infection probably b/c she didn't nurse for so long and I was exhausted. My June baby was the last one, and I felt really wiped out by his birth but it was so beautiful out and my husband kept encouraging me to go outside with him. I did and felt so vulnerable and it was too bright for him and my dh had music on too loud. I went back inside and woke up the next day with a breast infection.

My best pp recovery was with my third, when I stayed literally in bed in my room for 3 weeks reading, nursing, writing, resting, eating...and took it as an opportunity much earned! I also felt like the bonding with him was really different. I'm grateful for a husband that made that possible.

JENNY, 38~ preschool teacher, birth activist, sun worshiper, singer, married for 17 years and mom to

Karan 15, Fiona 12, Bodhi 10, Bjorn 6, Devon 3, and Robin Taylor born January 16th!

#22 of 29 Old 03-26-2010, 09:12 AM

Baby will do fine being out it really is how you feel- as so many have said. It is easy to over do without realizing and probably better for babe and mom to have one of those lovely 3 week long babymoons where you never have to leave bed, food is delivered and laundry, dishes, and older children are magically cared for but aw YA RIGHT - at my house life seems to continue with all of it craziness!

I always was out and about within a week (even with great husband and support)and will be again. Yah for baby wearing with which, I feel, you can go anywhere and do almost anything and you don't worry about people touching your baby or germs or whatnot.

My goal with this babe is to leave the carseat in the car. I was pretty good w/ my first two about wearing them instead of lugging the carseat when they were awake but it's the temptation when they are asleep and that seat just pops right out- BUT it's so heavy and then they wake up, and then you are holding babe and carrying empty seat, etc,etc.
So this time I'm tempted to scrape the infant carrier and go straight to the infant/toddler combo seat.
#23 of 29 Old 03-26-2010, 09:25 AM

For my first, I took him out to a family reunion picnic 6 days postpartum (this was in August in NJ, hot and HUMID). I was feeling great other than my milk not having come it yet, but staying home wasn't going to change that. I really wanted to see all my relatives under happy circumstances because the only times we had all gotten together in the past 8 years or so had been for funerals. Not even for weddings were people able to all make it, go figure.

I think that you probably have enough common sense to play it by ear. Just because we are new mothers does not mean we are brainless (just very tired). Obviously you wouldn't want to take your baby into a germ infested area, or around people who won't listen when you ask them not to touch the baby. Neither would you take the baby out into dangerous weather conditions. But considering that AC is a relatively new thing and our grandparents survived and raised babies without it I don't think warm weather or even humidity is a reason to stay confined with a newborn. You will probably be more uncomfortable than the baby. Just use the intelligence and common sense God gave you, and be prepared for nosey people telling you that you are doing it all wrong.

Hey, Babe  +  Me  =  Little Man 07-27-08  &  the Storm Sprite 07-11-10  computergeek2.gif    
#24 of 29 Old 03-26-2010, 10:32 AM

I really want to take time to enjoy my baby moon, but I will also have a 2 year old. So I'm making myself the rule that if a trip requires both a car ride and for me to wear a bra, then I'm not going on it. So mostly walking distance or things like LLL/playgroups with understanding moms.

Mommy to DD March 2008, DS July 2010
#25 of 29 Old 03-26-2010, 11:40 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpuglyRoo View Post
I think that you probably have enough common sense to play it by ear. Just because we are new mothers does not mean we are brainless (just very tired). Obviously you wouldn't want to take your baby into a germ infested area, or around people who won't listen when you ask them not to touch the baby. Neither would you take the baby out into dangerous weather conditions. But considering that AC is a relatively new thing and our grandparents survived and raised babies without it I don't think warm weather or even humidity is a reason to stay confined with a newborn. .

Thanks (everyone). I've found it funny that the people who warn me that I shouldn't leave my yard except to go to the doctor until my maternity leave is basically over tend to be the same people who expect me to host a house full of people and play "pass the baby." Hello! I'm pretty sure the baby will be exposed to many more germs in my own house, between visitors and his sister, who goes to camp and plays in dirt and will continue to have a life during his neonatal period, than he would walking through a farmers market even in a stroller, let alone a carrier.

ProtoLawyer (the now-actual lawyer, this isn't legal advice,  please don't take legal advice from some anonymous yahoo on the Internet)
Spouse (the political geek) * Stepdaughter (the artist) * and introducing...the Baby (um, he's a baby? He likes shiny things).
#26 of 29 Old 03-27-2010, 01:34 AM

I definitely think it depends on a lot of factors.

My experience with getting out of the house with DD1 was at 1 week postpartum where I ended up having blood gushing down my legs while going for a relaxed stroll down our country road.

with DD2 I wasn't so "bleedy". I went for walks, and this was in the summer, and used a wrap carrier. But when I actually went out one day to a mall (and she was in the wrap carrier) she actually got a fever afterwards.. and that was at 6 weeks.

It's tricky, I think. But we all need to make our own decisions on what's right for us. As a general rule, I think staying home for at least a week is probably a good idea.

Hopefully our births won't be traumatic and we will heal up quickly.
#27 of 29 Old 03-27-2010, 10:08 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by majazama View Post
I definitely think it depends on a lot of factors.

My experience with getting out of the house with DD1 was at 1 week postpartum where I ended up having blood gushing down my legs while going for a relaxed stroll down our country road.

with DD2 I wasn't so "bleedy". I went for walks, and this was in the summer, and used a wrap carrier. But when I actually went out one day to a mall (and she was in the wrap carrier) she actually got a fever afterwards.. and that was at 6 weeks.

It's tricky, I think. But we all need to make our own decisions on what's right for us. As a general rule, I think staying home for at least a week is probably a good idea.

Hopefully our births won't be traumatic and we will heal up quickly.
Actually this reminds me that after dd1's birth if I was out of bed for too long, I got dizzy and fainty and gushy. There's a reason they recommend laying in for 10 days. For awhile my big excursion was sitting out on the patio for a few minutes.

There's nothing to prove - you don't have to get out there sooner rather than later if you are feeling weak or tired.

ITA we have to listen to our bodies.

Me + Dh = Dd1(9.5 yrs) + Dd2(7 yrs) and Ds(4.5 yrs)
#28 of 29 Old 03-28-2010, 09:16 AM

DD will be 2y8mo when this one arrives, and I fear for our lives if I don't get her out on a regular basis. Our park is a 1.5mi walk away so hopefully by at least 2-3wks pp I'll be able to make the trek. Once there I can sit down and my friends will make sure DD doesn't get into too much trouble. I'm getting a Kangaroo Korner mesh pouch for wearing #2.

dd #1 11/15/07 and dd #2 unplanned and so glad the midwife was on her way!
#29 of 29 Old 03-28-2010, 10:44 AM

I'm looking forward to sitting out on my patio with the babe, but I hope I won't feel compelled to get out and about too early. I bled a lot and tore pretty bad with my first, so I had to take it slow, but it was November and she was my first. Luckily, dd1 will be in preschool four mornings per week by July, so she'll get her social needs fulfilled even if I don't feel like getting out.

Amy (34): mommy to DD1 (11/07) and DD2 (7/10), wife, wohm, and wannabe suburban homesteader.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page