Is there a name thread yet? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 79 Old 03-25-2010, 10:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I know there's lots of individual threads posted, but I haven't seen one large combined one yet.

Do you have a name(s) picked out for your little one yet? If you feel like sharing, please do!!

ETA- and if you are sharing your choice(s), please tell us how you decided on the names!
#2 of 79 Old 03-25-2010, 10:19 PM - Thread Starter

We have three names picked out for our little one- Grace, Violet, or Lucy. At the moment, we're leaning towards the combination Violet Grace Lucy, but the order of the names may change.
The names have tons of meaning for us-

Violets are the birth flower for the month of Feb, which is when my dear grandmother was born.

Lucy means light, which would be perfect for a baby who we were told we would miscarry (by more than 4 medical professionals!!)

Grace because so many people told us we should not have an 8th baby, and we ourselves felt done after our last baby, and it took us awhile to 'adjust' to having this little one.

Or, as my EDD is July 5, we might throw in another middle name contender- Liberty.
#3 of 79 Old 03-26-2010, 12:48 AM

(I *think* this is it, though we have months to go...)

Devon Peregrine (insert very common last name here)

Not sure where Devon came from, but it kept coming to mind early in my pregnancy. It's Irish and means "poet" and it's also a lovely part of England named after the Celtic people who inhabited the area. Peregrine after the falcon- we love birds and the Peregrine Falcon is the fastest and so beautiful. My oldest son is especially into this bird. It's noble sounding. My g-grandfather was Perry and Perry is my husbands grandmother's maiden name. So we aren't announcing to everyone til the baby is here, but we're at the "we like it so aren't looking anymore" point.

JENNY, 38~ preschool teacher, birth activist, sun worshiper, singer, married for 17 years and mom to

Karan 15, Fiona 12, Bodhi 10, Bjorn 6, Devon 3, and Robin Taylor born January 16th!

#4 of 79 Old 03-26-2010, 02:11 AM

If it's a boy he will be Joshua Miles. My husband is Joshua and we just like Miles and think it's a good sibling name for Graham (DS). Oddly enough it means soldier in Latin (my hubs is military). We will call him Miles. Graham is also called by his middle name, he is James Graham.

If it's a girl we are leaning toward Josephine. We just like the name, it's old fashioned and not very common but not weird. No middle name yet and we don't know if Josephine will be the middle name or first name. We really haven't even talked about it! I think we will probably end up waiting until she is born to decide.

Amy, Army wife living in S. Korea, mama to my inverted t c/s baby 04.05.08 and my VBAC with inverted t baby 07.24.10
#5 of 79 Old 03-26-2010, 02:18 AM

I have no idea.
It's been stressing me out a little bit all of a sudden. I feel like I'm in the same place I was at the beginning of my pregnancy.

I did fall in love with one boy name, but I can't use it: Nero. I LOVE THAT NAME! But too many people associate it with badness and I just can't do it.

So. Back to square one.

Weirdo Mama to amazing Aurelia, age 9 & Ember Roslyn, age 3!
#6 of 79 Old 03-26-2010, 02:59 AM

I think we have a first (boy) name picked out, but we decided to keep the names to ourselves until the baby is born so that if it's not the right fit, we can change it.

It's something that I never ever would have guessed myself wanting to name a baby (a traditional name) as both of my girls have unusual and rare names. So no, it's not Robotron, more like Alexander. .. I keep hearing the name in my head.. Funnily enough, my DP saw the name on a video game at first (he's french Canadian, so English names are not all so common to him) and I didn't like that connection, but I still like the name. And I also connected the name to some people I know (their last name), but I still like the name. So yah, so far so good on that, I think.

I have way too many middle names that I want to fit in there, and I'm going to have to slim down the selection. My girls just have one middle name and my last name as another middle name, but I think this one will have more than that.

And if it's a girl? I really don't know. Again I have a lot of middle names on the list, but have not found a first name that really calls out to me. I don't think it's a girl, but I was wrong last time with my DD2!
#7 of 79 Old 03-26-2010, 09:10 AM

If it's a girl she will be Margaret Jane (using both of our mothers' middle names), and she will be called Maggie.

If it's a boy, I'm leaning toward Liam Edward, but my husband just hasn't even started to think about it yet...he's convinced it's a girl. I also like Sam (just Sam, but also maybe Samuel), we used to like Theodore, but now not so much.

Our son is Jack Martin, and the #2 contender when he arrived was Oakley. I'm not sure if I still love it...we'll see....
#8 of 79 Old 03-26-2010, 09:14 AM

We are naming our daughter Phaedra Storm. When my husband and I first got married we decided we didn't want more than four children. I'm one of eight and couldn't imagine having a "small" two kid family but I didn't want to emulate my parents with another brood of eight so four was our happy medium.

[Anal Planner Alert] When we decided that we also knew we weren't going to try to have any for a year or two but picked out eight (4 boy/4 girl) sets of names, first and middle, for our potential 4 children. For the most part the names are all still there with minor tweaking. We have used our first boys name and now are getting ready to use our first girls name.

The funny thing is, Phaedra Storm was no where on the list It is the only name we have completely changed (so far), it was going to be Fiona Blythe. When we got married we started having game night at our house with my four brothers. Phaedra [Nerd Alert] was a random name I stumbled across when I was trying to name one of the characters I created for our role playing game. She turned into my favorite character ever and got played almost weekly for several years. The name brings back a lot of fond memories of all the time spent with my brothers, plus it really grew on me from hearing it so often When it occurred to me that it had a similar sound to Fiona, which my DH hadn't liked as much as our other picks, we agreed to swap it out.

Hey, Babe  +  Me  =  Little Man 07-27-08  &  the Storm Sprite 07-11-10  computergeek2.gif    
#9 of 79 Old 03-26-2010, 10:36 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Wow! You guys have picked out some seriously awesome names- I'm so proud to be in the same DDC ! I especially like Phaedra, Josephine, and Peregrine and the others are great too!

We've picked out a few boys names, but I don't think we're ready to share yet either. The boy's first name we are probably going with sounds very weighty and serious and its meaning led us to it because we've been calling the baby by a nickname that will most likely stick and is related to it. Then we have two middle names (DH's family always gives 2 middles) that we've always liked. The thing is, in naming this boy (if it's a boy) we've used up all the boy names that we really like so the next one if it's a boy will be pretty hard.

If it's a girl....we're in serious trouble. We have a few that we kinda like...but nothing really sticks or resonates with us. This is part of the reason that I think it's got to be a boy. We've been telling family that we can't come up with a girl's name and so have been flooded with suggestions for "family names". So far we sort of like some of the Polish and Ukrainian ones from DH's side and some of the French ones from my mom's side. We'll see. And to to make it harder, we're trying to pick one first and two middles for the girl too to keep up DH's family tradition. Blarg!

Me dreads.gif 32, loving him fuzmalesling.gif33, more each day. Rad boy, jog.gif 7/12/10 & Cool gal baby.gif  4/28/13

I'm a biracial, atheist, humanist, pacifist, anarchist, bibliophile, and educator. Rainbow.gifgd.gifwinner.jpgnocirc.gif

#10 of 79 Old 03-27-2010, 03:37 AM

I *think* we have settled on Tyler Andrew. Pretty traditional and goes well with DS' name.

I also wanted a name with a Y in it, because all of our names do so far: Karyn, Colby, Ryan... It wasn't planned, but when I realized it, I wanted to continue it.

Of course, it could still change at any time....

Karyn, wife to Colby partners.gif (9/4/04) and homeschooling mama to Ryan notes2.gif (3/11/08), Tyler jog.gif h20homebirth.gif (7/15/10), and a new little bean pos.gif (10/24/12)! familybed2.gif fly-by-nursing2.gifintactlact.gif saynovax.gif

#11 of 79 Old 03-27-2010, 09:04 AM

Samantha Jean

Samantha was one of only a few that we could agree on. DS was going to be Samantha if he was a girl.

Jean is both our grandmother's first names.

We have a very hard last name to match up with. There are some very MEAN things that a kid could get teased with. Can't use any name that starts with C or K, can't use Michael or Michelle because of the nicknames. I didn't want to set my kids up for bully-ing from birth. As it is, my mom is sure that DS (Ethan Allen) is going to "either learn how to fight, or be a fantasic interior decorator".

Allyson ~ wife to C (1/20/07), mummy to E (1/13/08) , S (7/12/2010)
We're A C E S
#12 of 79 Old 03-27-2010, 12:56 PM

Annemarie Justine. Justine was my grandma's name. We'll mostly call her Annemarie, but my mom is already referring to her as little "Annie" and my husband and I both have found ourselves saying it too.

So what do y'all think of our name?

caffix.gif
#13 of 79 Old 03-27-2010, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeegirl View Post
Annemarie Justine. Justine was my grandma's name. We'll mostly call her Annemarie, but my mom is already referring to her as little "Annie" and my husband and I both have found ourselves saying it too.

Love it. It is very pretty. I haven't ever met anyone with either of those names and I love the combination.

Removed... not that anyone gave two hoots in 3 pages of responses.

A wife to A, unschoolen mom to C (7), T (3) & little A (9 months).
Hey Nena, I know you are creepen on me. privateeyes.gif  Get a life. 
#14 of 79 Old 03-27-2010, 02:46 PM

Our little girl will be Adeline. We are still working on a middle name. Our other 2 have "earthy" middle names, so we are planning on doing the same now. So far we are thinking of
Sky, Rose or Juniper. My husband is being kind of a pain about it and doesn't want to commit to anything yet

~Manessa mama to one teenageer, one tweenager, and a toddler

#15 of 79 Old 03-28-2010, 12:42 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Lucja Constance is the name we have settled on. DP is of Polish descent and has a Polish last name so we wanted something that fit with that, but not too difficult to pronounce. We were thinking Anastasia and then one night both came to Lucja and liked it. It stuck. I like Lucy as a nickname so it works all around. Constance was decided as soon as I had a BFP. It was my mom's name - she passed away 6 years ago.

Larissa, mom to my 3 girls (07/10), (05/02), and (09/98)
#16 of 79 Old 03-28-2010, 01:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manessa View Post
Our little girl will be Adeline. We are still working on a middle name. Our other 2 have "earthy" middle names, so we are planning on doing the same now. So far we are thinking of
Sky, Rose or Juniper. My husband is being kind of a pain about it and doesn't want to commit to anything yet
Adeline is my mom's middle name, pronounced in French (and English) I think it's so beautiful- no need to shorten to Addie for a nickname! But the nickname is kind of cute too.
A few months ago DH put Juniper on our list of possible girl's names! We love Juniper trees and are always on the lookout for interesting ones to take pictures of when we travel. They are so beautiful. I never thought I'd see anyone else with that name! It's a good one.

Me dreads.gif 32, loving him fuzmalesling.gif33, more each day. Rad boy, jog.gif 7/12/10 & Cool gal baby.gif  4/28/13

I'm a biracial, atheist, humanist, pacifist, anarchist, bibliophile, and educator. Rainbow.gifgd.gifwinner.jpgnocirc.gif

#17 of 79 Old 03-28-2010, 01:48 AM

Quote:

Lovely! I think Annie is a cute little girls' name

Emma - Welsh Wife to DH and Mummy to DS, Lloyd 13/08/07 and Cerys 15/07/10
Living in Russia
#18 of 79 Old 03-28-2010, 01:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiromommy View Post
Lucja Constance is the name we have settled on. DP is of Polish descent and has a Polish last name so we wanted something that fit with that, but not too difficult to pronounce. We were thinking Anastasia and then one night both came to Lucja and liked it. It stuck. I like Lucy as a nickname so it works all around. Constance was decided as soon as I had a BFP. It was my mom's name - she passed away 6 years ago.

Beautiful name!

My Mum passed nearly 4 years ago and I want to honour her in some way with our daughters' name.
Her name was Gillian Elizabeth and I don't really see Gillian for a little girl so I think we're using Elizabeth as a middle:

Cerys Elizabeth (pronounced Ker-is)

Emma - Welsh Wife to DH and Mummy to DS, Lloyd 13/08/07 and Cerys 15/07/10
Living in Russia
#19 of 79 Old 03-28-2010, 02:10 AM

What fun to read all the names in one place! Just have to second a love for the name Juniper. I've known one of each gender. Our last name does NOT work with it so it's never been on our lists.

JENNY, 38~ preschool teacher, birth activist, sun worshiper, singer, married for 17 years and mom to

Karan 15, Fiona 12, Bodhi 10, Bjorn 6, Devon 3, and Robin Taylor born January 16th!

#20 of 79 Old 03-28-2010, 03:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mataji4 View Post
What fun to read all the names in one place! Just have to second a love for the name Juniper. I've known one of each gender. Our last name does NOT work with it so it's never been on our lists.
Out of curiousity- did the kids have a nickname/shortened version of Juniper?

DH was saying we could call her "little Nipper" or "Nip" ... obviously those don't sound like good options to me. But I don't particularly like June or Juni/Juney either. I like Juniper as it is, whole. But people tend to shorten 3-syllable names. I'm still not sure how big of a contender this name is on our list...

#21 of 79 Old 03-28-2010, 03:58 AM

We've chosen Fiona Kelsey LastName. Fiona doesn't really come from anyone we know or are related to, we just really like it. Kelsey is my aunt, who has really stepped up in some extraordinary ways since my mother died.

scifi-convention runners Kate, DH Drew 11/07, DD Cora 12/97. We , ,
Welcome to baby Fiona with a giant omphalocele, 6/17/10!
#22 of 79 Old 03-28-2010, 06:24 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
So interesting to read everyone's choices!

Dh has a generational name - his uncle has the name and his grandfather has the name - so I've put the bug in his ear to pass it on to our son. He's not sold on it but was considering it.

Since our girls' names are from my culture, and it was mainly my choice (but dh loves the names too), this time we agreed to give dh the main choice for the boy's name. He's Scottish and wanted something either Scottish/Irish/English/Celtic. Right now Gavin Michael is probably going to be it (Michael is my father's name).

wash.gif  Me  + bikenew.gif Dh =  broc1.gif  Dd1(9 yrs) + hearts.gif  Dd2(6 yrs) and blowkiss.gif Ds(3.5 yrs)
#23 of 79 Old 03-28-2010, 08:47 AM

Thank you chase_mommy and welch. We've thought of this baby as Annemarie from the moment we found out she was a girl.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manessa View Post
I like Adeline a lot. Very classic and not over-done. My vote for the middle name from your choices is Juniper.

Also as a side-note....my husband and I visited a graveyard to find his grandma's grave a couple weeks ago and we saw the lovliest names on the gravestones. Especially now that old-fashioned and traditional names are making a come-back. Take a walk through a cemetery and you'll find some good names.

caffix.gif
#24 of 79 Old 03-28-2010, 10:37 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Adeline is a lovely name. I had Madeline on my list for girls' names but dh nixed it.

wash.gif  Me  + bikenew.gif Dh =  broc1.gif  Dd1(9 yrs) + hearts.gif  Dd2(6 yrs) and blowkiss.gif Ds(3.5 yrs)
#25 of 79 Old 03-28-2010, 01:26 PM

The Junipers I knew were both just Juniper. I do know two boys named Junin and a girl named Juna as well.

#26 of 79 Old 03-28-2010, 07:19 PM

we have a girl name we LOVE, and a couple others we like, so we aren't locked into one name. middle names are a different story! we have about 20 and will decide which fits when the baby is here.

we have several boy names we LOVE and some middle names we like a lot too, so now we just play the waiting game!

we never decide on a name until the baby is here, but this time i think we have a larger pool to pick from and more of a feeling of what the right name might be.
#27 of 79 Old 03-29-2010, 03:28 AM

Quote:
Also as a side-note....my husband and I visited a graveyard to find his grandma's grave a couple weeks ago and we saw the lovliest names on the gravestones. Especially now that old-fashioned and traditional names are making a come-back. Take a walk through a cemetery and you'll find some good names.
That's kind of funny, but a great idea. I am realising more and more that I love old fashioned names. We have some beautiful cemeteries around here, I might just have to go do that.

My niece had an "art night" at her school last week. She's in her last year at elem school and the entire school, K-6th grade, had one piece of artwork hung up throughout the school gym with their full name on it. I went around looking at ALL the kids names, but sadly no real inspiration. It was fun, though. My favourite combo was "Marcus Aurelius", though I'm a little biased since my dd's name is Aurelia.

#28 of 79 Old 03-29-2010, 03:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mataji4 View Post
The Junipers I knew were both just Juniper. I do know two boys named Junin and a girl named Juna as well.
I like the name 'Djuna', I think it's pronounced like 'Juna'. There's an author named Djuna Barnes that was born in 1892 who was considered very "bohemian". I like that connotation in my head.

#29 of 79 Old 03-29-2010, 10:20 AM

For a girl we think it will be either Sage Josephine or Josepine Sage. I guess we'll see when it comes out. For a boy, I am honestly not sure. I threw Dio out last night and he was like...maaaayyyybe. lol We are so lost on a boy.

Randine , Wife to Chris , mama to Gracie (3) and to Soren (07/08/2010)
#30 of 79 Old 03-29-2010, 10:53 AM

We have a few boy names that we like, but haven't come up with girl names yet. Guess we'd better start thinking about it, eh? I figure, as long as we have a list with 4-5 of each about a month before my EDD, we'll be fine.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page