So, baby is super-active late morning and late afternoon, sleepy at night. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-01-2010, 02:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(And I am not at all complaining. My bladder wakes me up, and this bug bite--flea? dunno--on my ankle has been waking me up, but baby does not wake me up.)

Anyone know if in-utero patterns (especially this early--24 weeks) foreshadow sleep-wake patterns once they're earthside?

(I know the answer is probably no. Oh well.)

ProtoLawyer (the now-actual lawyer, this isn't legal advice,  please don't take legal advice from some anonymous yahoo on the Internet)
Spouse (the political geek) * Stepdaughter (the artist) * and introducing...the Baby (um, he's a baby? He likes shiny things).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2010, 02:33 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
I don't know the answer to your question (though I also suspect no), but I'm jealous! Mine is active right when I wake and right before bed, but not much in between. Meaning I didn't get to share the baby kicks when I was with my family last week!

Loving mama to Aden (8/5/2010) and DSD (15).
Old 04-01-2010, 03:12 PM

I have no idea if it correlates. I thought they were all born jetlagged and had to be schedule shifted.

If it does, though, it would be funny, as my baby is so far more of a night person, like both of her parents. She's most active in the evening, though I get a few kicks during the day, too.

Old 04-01-2010, 05:33 PM

I read somewhere that they are cycling sleep like newborns. So maybe? However, those change so much... you never know what you are going to get. Mine is night owl as of now and so am I but my other two are not... looks like the sleep deprivation continues if this LO wants to be up all night.

"You've probably heard that if your baby is most active in the womb at night, he'll be a night owl once he's born. Some moms — as well as a few sleep experts — swear this old wives' tale is true, but no scientific evidence bears it out.

That doesn't contradict the fact that your baby is developing a sleep/wake cycle before he's born. At the beginning of your third trimester, he'll start having active or REM (rapid-eye-movement) sleep, the phase of sleep in which we dream. He'll add non-REM sleep — also known as quiet sleep — a month or so later.

Just like newborns, babies in utero don't have our typical day/night schedule; they rest for a few hours, and then are awake for a few hours. So don't worry about disturbing his sleep routine — you'll have to wait until a month or two after he's born for him to even have one!" via Babycenter.

A wife to A, unschoolen mom to C (7), T (3) & little A (9 months).
Hey Nena, I know you are creepen on me. privateeyes.gif  Get a life. 
Old 04-01-2010, 05:57 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
A collegue of mine said the doctor told his wife to walk at night when the baby was alert and kicking so that it would rock her to sleep and train her for earthside life. He insisted it worked but I would rather be in bed now than roaming around rocking my uterus to sleep.

wash.gif  Me  + bikenew.gif Dh =  broc1.gif  Dd1(9 yrs) + hearts.gif  Dd2(6 yrs) and blowkiss.gif Ds(3.5 yrs)
Old 04-02-2010, 03:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProtoLawyer View Post
(And I am not at all complaining. My bladder wakes me up, and this bug bite--flea? dunno--on my ankle has been waking me up, but baby does not wake me up.)

Anyone know if in-utero patterns (especially this early--24 weeks) foreshadow sleep-wake patterns once they're earthside?

Actually, I've always heard that it does, although a 24 weeks i'm not sure they've hit their sleep pattern point yet.

My baby of course is super active at night, but that might have to do more when I'm lying down and being still more than anything.

Weirdo Mama to amazing Aurelia, age 9 & Ember Roslyn, age 3!
Old 04-02-2010, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProtoLawyer View Post

My first baby was like this, and I'd have to say --um, no, sorry, it didn't correlate for us at all. At least not at first. We spent many a midnight hour pacing and rocking and vibrating baby on the washing machine. Eventually, though, she did learn to sleep pretty well at night.

So far, this baby also sleeps most of the night in utero.

Amy (34): mommy to DD1 (11/07) and DD2 (7/10), wife, wohm, and wannabe suburban homesteader.
Old 04-02-2010, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neonalee View Post
I don't know the answer to your question (though I also suspect no), but I'm jealous! Mine is active right when I wake and right before bed, but not much in between. Meaning I didn't get to share the baby kicks when I was with my family last week!
That's us also! Our baby is sleepy during the day and hasn't been doing more than a few wiggles or rolls here and there, but we can always count on the wake-up party around 6am and the bedtime party around 10:30. It's nice to be able to "check in" with the little bean at those times!

Happy and in love with my family!
Old 04-04-2010, 05:16 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfacing View Post
A collegue of mine said the doctor told his wife to walk at night when the baby was alert and kicking so that it would rock her to sleep and train her for earthside life. He insisted it worked but I would rather be in bed now than roaming around rocking my uterus to sleep.
I've had a few nights where baby was really kicking hard and I couldn't fall asleep because of it. The last two nights it happened I got up to read while rocking in my glider and sure enough baby stopped kicking within 20 minutes both times and I just got back into bed and went to sleep!

I hope the glider works when baby is earthside as well!

Me dreads.gif 32, loving him fuzmalesling.gif33, more each day. Rad boy, jog.gif 7/12/10 & Cool gal baby.gif  4/28/13

I'm a biracial, atheist, humanist, pacifist, anarchist, bibliophile, and educator. Rainbow.gifgd.gifwinner.jpgnocirc.gif

User Tag List