Still breastfeeding...planning to tandem? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 35 Old 06-23-2010, 01:33 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Great thread! My 2yo (26mo) desperately wants her mama-milk to come back. I dried up VERY abruptly and early in the pregnancy, well before I was comfortable with her weaning-I think she was about 19 months? It was SO hard for her to not have it and she's never gotten over it. We've tried every weaning trick in the books and it just isn't going to happen. I have no doubt she'll be a happy nurser when her "tiny baby" arrives and brings the mama milk back

I can't wait to see her face either...she dry nurses now (unless I'm sore) and sadly pats 'her milks'...

GOOD moms let their kids lick the beaters. GREAT moms turn off the mixer first!
Humanist Woman Wife , & Friend Plus Mama to 6 (3 mos, 2, 9, 13, 17, 20)
#32 of 35 Old 06-23-2010, 01:49 PM

My DS (27.5 months) is still nursing. Haven't been "dry" nursing for a while as I've had colostrum since 24 weeks, and that has made a difference in the pain level. Doesn't hurt nearly as bad as it did when I was truly dry. He's still nursing at naptime and at bedtime and shows no signs of being ready to wean. Also recently purchased "Adventures in Tandem Nursing" but haven't really been able to make much of a dent in it yet as I'm trying so hard to get our half-finished house put together enough for me to have a baby in the next few weeks! I am hoping that if I don't get time before the birth to read, that maybe in the first few quiet days afterwards I can just lay in bed and nurse and read and sleep while DH and my mom and my PP doula take care of everything else.

The one thing I am hoping goes away quickly is the agitation I feel sometimes when I nurse DS. It's that whole "touched out" feeling and the sensation of his latch and suckle is almost too much for me to handle and I just have the urge to swat at him like a fly to get him to go away. UGH! I always push through it but I just can't wait for that feeling to be gone.

Karyn, wife to Colby partners.gif (9/4/04) and homeschooling mama to Ryan notes2.gif (3/11/08), Tyler jog.gif h20homebirth.gif (7/15/10), and a new little bean pos.gif (10/24/12)! familybed2.gif fly-by-nursing2.gifintactlact.gif saynovax.gif

#33 of 35 Old 06-23-2010, 03:08 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Thank goodness to get so many updates here and see that we are not alone! Dd2 is still nursing and since colostrum has appeared a few weeks ago, nursing is FAR less uncomfortable. Karyn, I so hear you on the agitation thing... I find that I don't mind if a little baby is caressing and massaging my breast or my body, but to have my older toddler do it squeaks me out for some reason. So I don't let her - I take her travelling hand, kiss it and then hold it, or just hold my hand firmly over hers in a spot that I want her to stay, and she usually does. Sometimes she needs reminders.

I too am very curious to see how it's all going to work out with the NB needing to nurse frequently and dd2 will be testing all the boundaries she can to nurse as often as she can. Sometimes we would go a day without nursing, and then be back to 3-5x/day. Lately, she still likes a short nurse before sleep and sometimes will not fall asleep for her nap unless she's nursing (--when she knows I'm home, that is--).

I occassionally remind her that when baby comes, she will be sharing cici. She looks alarmed and emphatically claims ownership: "MY CICI!" I tell her, "No, MY cici. We have to share with baby."

I see her with her 8 wk old cousin and she adores him. But I have a feeling she is going to be jealous of the NB and have some difficulty adjusting to not being THE BABY anymore. She's still my little snuggle bunny and I don't know what we're going to do at night because she still likes to crawl into bed with me in the wee hours. I tried to tell dh that I can sleep in a bed with the NB on one side and dd2 on the other, but he's all paranoid about that. We'll see. I have a bassinet for the beginning but prefer to co-sleep so I can feel when baby stirs and needs to be fed.

I'm rambling on now. Thanks for sharing the info from Kellymom and yeah, if anyone has other tips, it would be helpful. I don't have time to read now either.

wash.gif  Me  + bikenew.gif Dh =  broc1.gif  Dd1(9 yrs) + hearts.gif  Dd2(6 yrs) and blowkiss.gif Ds(3.5 yrs)
#34 of 35 Old 06-23-2010, 05:25 PM

I weaned my 3yo at 32 weeks. I just couldn't take it anymore. Its been about 6 weeks now but sadly she still says "I need num-nums" more than once a day. Usually when she is very tired and wants to fall asleep. She has been learning to fall asleep without it though and that is a great thing. I am not sure what is going to happen once the baby is here and I have milk again. I would like to keep her weaned so I am going to see how it goes.

married to DH for eleven years Mama to dd1 1/30/07 and dd2 7/12/10
#35 of 35 Old 06-23-2010, 10:53 PM

I'm still nursing my 23 month old and am 37 weeks. I am hoping that DD1 will share well! I think she'll be happy when my milk comes in! ( So will I! I hate spending so much money on hemp/coconut-milk for her when I can make stuff that's better!)

Becky- Wife to DH, Mama to "Nani" (July '08) "Coco" (July '10) and expecting one very wiggly baby boy in May 2013!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page