Postpartum mama and baby products... - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 04-15-2010, 11:32 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm putting together an order to restock my vitamins and natural body products etc that I usually order from iherb and I was trying to figure out what products a postpartum mama may need to aid the natural healing process after birth.

Experienced mamas, what did you find helped your bottom heal nicely after birth or just helped you feel more comfortable? (any kind of herbs, lotions, oils, teas.... ???)

Generally what kinds of things does a healing postpartum mama need/use during the healing period?

What about for new babes? Is there anything that helps them adjust to life on the outside in a nice and natural way?

Me dreads.gif 32, loving him fuzmalesling.gif33, more each day. Rad boy, jog.gif 7/12/10 & Cool gal baby.gif  4/28/13

I'm a biracial, atheist, humanist, pacifist, anarchist, bibliophile, and educator. Rainbow.gifgd.gifwinner.jpgnocirc.gif

#2 of 14 Old 04-15-2010, 11:55 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I posted about some herbs on the UC form a while back. I got very little feedback but one momma recommended Hypericum&Calendula. It is a soak to soak your lower parts in after birth and is supposed to help heal ya down there.

I will be interested in seeing what others suggest.

As far as baby adjusting, I have found that a lot skin to skin contact is a great way for baby to get adjusted. Your smell and voice is the only thing familiar they have once they leave the womb... well other than themselves.

A wife to A, unschoolen mom to C (7), T (3) & little A (9 months).
Hey Nena, I know you are creepen on me. privateeyes.gif  Get a life. 
#3 of 14 Old 04-15-2010, 12:12 PM

Here is a link that may also give you some ideas. http://www.midwiferytoday.com/articl...tperineum1.asp

I can't remember what herbs i used, but i did use something for a sitz bath. I also used vit e oil. I had 2nd degree tears that took about a year to feel better and I think the vit e oil helped reduce the scarring.
'A peri bottle with warm water, daily baths/soaks, lots of air time to keep the area dry for healing and a support person to do just about everything for you is what helped me most.

As for babes, I agree, skin-to-skin plus an all you can eat breast milk supply is what they want and need. I think we used some sweet almond oil now and then for dry skin and some weleda lotion for massage.

Happy shopping!

SAHM to DD 03/08 & DD 06/10 made with love with my DP

#4 of 14 Old 04-15-2010, 01:51 PM

DDCC

Last time I just soaked in epsom salt baths. This time I ordered two highly recommended things. Can;t attest personally to how they work yet, but I have heard/ read great things!

New Mama Bottom Spray

Soothing After Birth Herbal Bath, A Naturally Healthy Formula (Comfrey leaf, Uva Ursi, German Chamomile, Shepherd?s Purse, Lavender, Sea salt, St. John?s Wort, Echinacea Purpurea, Yarrow, Sage)

I will probably also get epsom salt again, as that seemed to help a lot.

Free-birthing, un-schooling (Waldorf style), extended breastfeeding, cloth diapering Earth Mama to Kayleb, ( 10/07) and Anaya ( 5/10)! Joyfully married to my beloved I hug trees and plant seeds.
#5 of 14 Old 04-15-2010, 03:43 PM

I second the peri bottle. Fill it with warm water and squirt it as you pee, really relieves the sting.

Ditto the New Mama Bottom Spray.

Emma - Welsh Wife to DH and Mummy to DS, Lloyd 13/08/07 and Cerys 15/07/10
Living in Russia
#6 of 14 Old 04-15-2010, 05:11 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)

This is a GREAT thread!! I'm so glad somebody asked before I even though of it! LOL. I'll keep checking to see what other things experienced moms recommend- since this will be my first actual birth through the "normal channel" vs. a taking of babe from an incision.

Wife to since '98;   Homeschooling, working on my doctorate & becoming crunchier by the day; Mom to DSs: 06/10,12/05, & 1/99 & 1 on the way (3/15)
#7 of 14 Old 04-15-2010, 10:48 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
My midwifery clinic offered bags of something or the other for $5.00 to boil up and freeze beforehand... then when dd2 was born we simply took them out of the freezer and plopped the frozen blocks into the bath tub as needed. There was epsom salt in it, some herbs... sorry I'm not much help with the details. Definitely soothing and healing though. With dd1 I just used epsom salt. Good stuff, it was.

Personally I never found the peri bottle necessary, even with a third degree and second degree tears. We're all different, it's all good.

We used olive oil on baby's skin as needed and slathered their bottoms with it in the beginning to keep the meconium easy to wipe off. THAT was a good tip from our midwives!

Otherwise, seriously, we don't need a ton of products.

Hmmm, are you into homeopathics? You may wish to get some Arnica to aid in prompt healing.

wash.gif  Me  + bikenew.gif Dh =  broc1.gif  Dd1(9 yrs) + hearts.gif  Dd2(6 yrs) and blowkiss.gif Ds(3.5 yrs)
#8 of 14 Old 04-16-2010, 03:20 AM

anything with Comfrey in it really helps healing.
#9 of 14 Old 04-16-2010, 10:10 AM

I second the peri bottle with warm water for the peeing times! If you are delivering in a hospital they generally provide one and yes...its lovely lol.
I didn't bath for a while afterwards, not even a sitz bath.
I also used witch hazel pads placed on all the places down there, it really helped releve pain!!! I cried when we ran out and dh couldn't find any more at the store (until he asked the clerk...)
I am super intrested in the Earth mama after birth healing stuff this time around!
#10 of 14 Old 04-16-2010, 11:22 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

So far ordering a big bag of dried comfrey...to put into baths and make some kinda soothing packs with. Also ordering some alchohol free witch hazel. Both of these things I'm sure I can't find here without really hunting, so it's easier just to order 'em.
Also ordering some natural baby products that may or may not get used, but better to have them than not.

Me dreads.gif 32, loving him fuzmalesling.gif33, more each day. Rad boy, jog.gif 7/12/10 & Cool gal baby.gif  4/28/13

I'm a biracial, atheist, humanist, pacifist, anarchist, bibliophile, and educator. Rainbow.gifgd.gifwinner.jpgnocirc.gif

#11 of 14 Old 04-16-2010, 11:55 AM

Expat-mama, do they have midwives at all in your area? It might not be bad to ask one what the local ladies do to help their lady bits heal.

hide.gif Me 41, single mom to modifiedartist.gifdd 4/2001 and demon.gif ds 7/17/2010

#12 of 14 Old 04-16-2010, 11:56 AM

i wholeheartedly third the new mama bottom spray! love love love this stuff, and wish i had found it to use during my postpartum period with my older children.

♥♥♥♥
#13 of 14 Old 04-20-2010, 03:06 PM

I second the herbal sitz bath - I ordered herbs and bags from Mountain Rose and Made my own "tea bags" (order the big ones). I used the recipe in Aviva Jill Romm's natural pregnancy book which I am pretty sure had comfrey, calendula, lavender, sage, rosemary and something else maybe....I took two baths a day for the first few days then one bath a day for the next week or so and both my baby (cord) and I healed up super fast.

I also made some of this "tea" with some witch hazel mixed in and put some in a spray bottle, sprayed maxi pads with them (big long ones) and froze them. You don't want to soak the pads so they are blocks of ice but you want them wet enough so they will feel cool on your skin out of the freezer and still be able to absorb blood.

I second the peri bottle with warm water - it just feels good and is an easy way to keep yourself from getting crusty, itchy and uncomfortable down in the netherregions as you heal...

I also wanted to mention my midwife made me an amazing (working not tasting) tea that worked miricles on my after pains which were pretty bad with baby #2 (and I am not sure I had them with #1)....It was chamomile tea with a dash of cinnamon, honey, then some combination of motherwort, yarrow, and cramp bark tinctures - I don't remember the exact doses (maybe 1/2 a dropperful of each?) but it worked so well and was safe while bfing. I drank that once every 4 hours or so and my pains were much better.

I am also prone to mastitis and overproducing milk so I make sure I have raw garlic and raw honey (mixed and spread on toast) ready to go. I also had a medela swing pump with my last baby (#2) and I used that all the time to ease engorgement and recover from mastitis and avoid reinfection. I loved that pump because it was strong, reasonably priced and I could drag it all over the place without too much fuss (as opposed to the full sized pumps). I know that its kinda controversial to pump more when you are making too much milk but I have found that keeping my breasts from getting engorged is the best technique for me to stay healthy. There are other homeopathics available too but I usually have to get an antibiotic to kick it out of my system (without the garlic and lots of rest though the antibiotic doesn't do enough for me.)

In general though I think the MOST important thing that new babies AND mamas need is a period of rest after birth to bond and recover and easy access to lots of nutritious meals and snacks (prepared and brought to you by someone else). My midwife with #2 told me to stay in my bedroom/bed for the first week and rest for the first two weeks - this may seem like a lot but it was great for me and babe to bond and ease back into the busy world around us.

Christine, wife to my dh since 10/03, mama to my three monkeys ~:-) ds1/6/05, dd9/9/08 and ds 8/3/10

#14 of 14 Old 04-20-2010, 08:11 PM

One more random thing I remembered was if you are having trouble peeing after birth (sometimes its tough at first) try putting a few drops of peppermint essential oil in the toilet until you can smell it. My midwife recommended this for a friend after she couldn't pee after having her baby and it worked right away.

Christine, wife to my dh since 10/03, mama to my three monkeys ~:-) ds1/6/05, dd9/9/08 and ds 8/3/10

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page