Sizes: Newborn or 0-3?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 19 Old 05-01-2010, 07:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Are you ordering any Newborn sized clothes? Or just all 0-3?

My OB predicts Baby Girl will weigh about 6-7 lbs at birth. Should I order a few Newborn outfits? Or just watch her swim in 0-3 for a few weeks?

Mommy to a gorgeous little miracle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 19 Old 05-01-2010, 08:38 PM

DD was just over 6 lbs at birth and we definitely needed NB sized clothes for about the first month or so, in fact they were a bit too big the first week or two.

Amy loving DH 5/04, raising DD 2/05 and DS 11/09; missing my mom& my babies 6/07, 12/07; and on the side
#3 of 19 Old 05-01-2010, 10:41 PM

From June DDC here

Yes, definitely buy newborn clothes. My previous DDs were good-sized at birth (7lb 6oz and 8lbs 7oz) and both needed newborn for several weeks. We actually had a handful of preemie onesies that we used at the very beginning.
#4 of 19 Old 05-01-2010, 11:12 PM

With Ds we mostly used 0-3 months. They were a bit big, but fine (he was 7 pounds at birth). I buy most baby clothes at thrift stores and have been looking for newborn onsies a lot since I think that is mostly what a summer baby will wear. I've found a few, and some 0-3 month that look like they run small. I also am a big fan of gowns, but most of those are only in the 0-3 month size, but they seem fine a little big so that is okay. I don't buy a lot of outfits for the newborn age. Just separates, like onsies, pants, sweatshirts, and then gowns. The 0-3 month pants seemed to fit fine as I recall, and so did the sweatshirts, so I think I'm set.
#5 of 19 Old 05-01-2010, 11:25 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks! I'm conflicted. I don't want to buy clothes that will only fit for a few weeks, but I don't want her just in gowns for the first month, or.. maybe that's just fine and I'm being silly. I suppose she'll be swaddled in blankies anyway during that time.

Anyway, if you had a 6-7 pounder, how long did she or he stay in 0-3? Longer than 3 mos?

#6 of 19 Old 05-02-2010, 02:40 AM

I always buy some preemie clothes and they ALWAYS fit perfectly for the first month to month and a half and my babies have all been between 8-9½ lbs. My 10lb 9oz baby was the only one who couldn't fit into the preemie clothes. I am predicting a smaller than average (for me) baby, between 6-7lbs and I have gotten extra preemie clothes because I know how well they fit.

Get a few to have on hand. They'll be a perfect fit until baby fits into the NB sizes and then can move on to the 0-3mo sizes.

winner.jpg Mom to 9 ~*~ 4 babygirl.gif  4 babyboy.gif & 1rainbow1284.gif(MtF) ~*~ uc.jpg  lactivist.gif novaxnocirc.gif Rainbow.gif heartbeat.gif

#7 of 19 Old 05-02-2010, 03:00 AM

are you planning to cloth diaper?

those dipes can be pretty big and take up a lot of space in onesies or pants... enough that you might need to size up even if your baby isn't particularly big.

the newborn things we had that got real use with ds1 (and presumably will again) were all the gown types that are just loose over the bum.

the only problem i recall with too big clothes is that the little shoulders are prone to pushing right through the head hole.

me dh ds1 (11/04) ds2 (7/10) and
#8 of 19 Old 05-02-2010, 03:43 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by flitters View Post
are you planning to cloth diaper?

those dipes can be pretty big and take up a lot of space in onesies or pants... enough that you might need to size up even if your baby isn't particularly big.
That's what I've heard about cloth dipes too- they're bulkier than disposables, and baby clothes are cut to fit babies who wear disposables not cloth. No experience on the matter though.
We have a few newborn sized things, but more 0-3 month sized stuff. I don't really mind if babe's clothing doesn't fit PERFECTLY for a few weeks. As long as babe is comfortable, I'd rather save money and not have too much crap that won't get much use. Just my 2 cents!

Me dreads.gif 32, loving him fuzmalesling.gif33, more each day. Rad boy, jog.gif 7/12/10 & Cool gal baby.gif  4/28/13

I'm a biracial, atheist, humanist, pacifist, anarchist, bibliophile, and educator. Rainbow.gifgd.gifwinner.jpgnocirc.gif

#9 of 19 Old 05-02-2010, 08:02 AM

With DS, I had gotten a 0-3mo outfit to come home in. It was WAY to big! I mean, his little legs didn't even go in the legs of the outfit. As for day-to-day clothing, I think we had mostly 0-3mo onesies and he wore those for probably 2mo (but he was a good grower and hit 16lbs by 3mos).

For this one, I have received mostly 0-3mo stuff. I do have one or two NB sun-suits (onesies in pretty, cute patterns with rufflie tank-top shoulders) and will be looking for a coming-home outfit in NB.

Allyson ~ wife to C (1/20/07), mummy to E (1/13/08) , S (7/12/2010)
We're A C E S
#10 of 19 Old 05-02-2010, 08:53 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I buy 0-3 to start. My DS was 8lbs 8oz but the first few weeks, we were trying to establish a breastfeeding routine and we were "skin to skin" much of the time. It is easier to just put on a tank top and call it a day. I refuse to leave the house during that time anyway. The times I wasn't holding him, he was swaddled because he was so demanding haha...
However, I hear girls tend to run smaller and if she is only about 6-7lbs, you might benefit from a few cute newborn outfits for pictures.
#11 of 19 Old 05-02-2010, 09:07 AM

DDCC Buy some newborn, possibly some preemie/up to 7lb stuff. My kids have been 8lb 2oz, 8lb 12oz, and 7lb 15oz. They all fit into preemie clothes at birth. DS3 was so much smaller the only diapers that fit were preemie prefolds and even those had to be folded as small as possible.

bf.jpg Sami brokenheart.gif, wife to jammin.gif, mama to reading.gif Tate 10/14/05, moon.gifKaleb 12/17/07, angel.gifcandleflicker2.gif Bram 3/13/10-11/17/12, mischievous.gif Alden 2/1/12, pos.gif October 2014
 homeschool.gifvbac.gifuc.jpg 

#12 of 19 Old 05-02-2010, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennica View Post
. I don't buy a lot of outfits for the newborn age. Just separates, like onsies, pants, sweatshirts, and then gowns. The 0-3 month pants seemed to fit fine as I recall, and so did the sweatshirts, so I think I'm set.
I agree.
I had a cute NB outfit for coming home from the hospital and then separates. A pack of side snap tshirts in NB or preemie size is handy. You don't have to pull them over the floppy head.
DS was 8lbs 2 oz but quite long, 21.5 ins so he outgrew things in length after a couple of weeks. He still outgrows everything in leg/arm length before anything gets tight fitting as he's a string bean.

If you have stores nearby, you can always buy minimal clothes and send someone to get stuff when you have a better idea.

Do bear in mind that estimations of size are often out by 2lbs!

Emma - Welsh Wife to DH and Mummy to DS, Lloyd 13/08/07 and Cerys 15/07/10
Living in Russia
#13 of 19 Old 05-02-2010, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nervousnelle View Post
Thanks! I'm conflicted. I don't want to buy clothes that will only fit for a few weeks, but I don't want her just in gowns for the first month, or.. maybe that's just fine and I'm being silly. I suppose she'll be swaddled in blankies anyway during that time.
The newborn size did only fit for maybe 3 to 4 weeks as I recall. Around the house I just wanted Ds to be comfy, so onsies and a swaddling blanket, or a long or short sleeve onsie with some sweat pants, or a gown was perfect. For going out and about a couple cute outfits were fun. For his coming home outfit that was newborn size and he wore that a couple times. I personally wouldn't waste money on a whole wardrobe of newborn sized outfits, because for one they may only last 2 to 4 weeks, and for another thing, the 2 piece outfits are often not that comfortable on a newborn. Though the one piece rompers were great for summer, and cozy too.
#14 of 19 Old 05-02-2010, 01:59 PM

i totally have to second one of welsh's points. my very experienced midwife and her backup ob both stated that my now 2yo would be 8 lbs. he was born 2 days later and weighed in at 10 pounds!

all my babies tend to be larger than average, so i learned that the majority of the clothing has to be pretty flexible. my newbies tend to live in the gowns for a few weeks. i love the pure cotton next to their sensitive skin, and they are the most convenient for frequent diaper changes.

good luck making your choices!! there are soooo many!!
#15 of 19 Old 05-02-2010, 02:30 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you all so much. I feel a bit dorky for wondering about so many details. This must be hormones.

So, I'm thinking I'll be fine. I have 99% 0-3 separates and outfits, and a handful of NB outfits.

I guess newborns really do spend most of their time snuggled up in separates (onesies, gowns, caps, socks) and swaddle blankets, cozied up nursing and napping. No wonder it's called a Babymoon. Sleep-deprivation and cabin fever aside, it sounds dreamy. I can't believe how close we are!!

Okay, now I should go wash those clothes and start organizing.

#16 of 19 Old 05-02-2010, 02:48 PM
MJB

My first was 8.3 and my second was 9.0. I'm not buying any preemie/newborn clothes because I don't expect a baby that small. 0-3 mos. fit both of my boys fine at birth. My first went home from the hospital in a onesie and denim overalls that fit pretty well. My little guy was too fat for newborn Proraps and had to go without a diaper cover until his cord stump fell off.
#17 of 19 Old 05-02-2010, 05:48 PM

My first was 8.4 (a week and a half late), and my second was 7.12 (a week early). Neither ever fit into newborn for more than a couple of days, so this time I'm just buying the 0-3 stuff.
#18 of 19 Old 05-02-2010, 07:06 PM

For most of us, too, we need to remember babies will be born in the middle of summer, so they really won't need much more than t-shirts and onsies for a while too. I know I keep forgetting that, LOL Much better than winter babies who do need lots of clothes to stay warm.

winner.jpg Mom to 9 ~*~ 4 babygirl.gif  4 babyboy.gif & 1rainbow1284.gif(MtF) ~*~ uc.jpg  lactivist.gif novaxnocirc.gif Rainbow.gif heartbeat.gif

#19 of 19 Old 05-03-2010, 03:36 PM

It looks like you are set!!

For some reason I didn't have ANY newborn clothes when DD was born. She came early and was 6 lbs and change. She swam in her going home outfit. DH went out and got a few NB items and they lasted her the 3 weeks or so she could wear them. We CDd too.

mama to dd 2x Our sweet boy is here! 7/27

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page