have you chosen a diaper bag? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-14-2010, 02:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Please share a name or link?

I'm completely lost on the diaper bag front. I can't make a decision. I need something that looks classy - nothing with Pooh bear or a too loud print. Preferrably black because I am a slave to the "your shoes must match your bag (and belt, if any)" rule, and I mostly wear black shoes and sandals. Crazy, I know, but I can't help it. Any ideas?

I love the Storksak Emily bag but it's $175 so, um, yeah. I'm trying to fall in love with something else. The Babymel Amanda is $90, but I've read that the fabric looks bad in person. There are cute totes at Pottery Barn Kids, but i'd like something that looks like a purse, and has insulated pockets for my snacks while she's bf and hers once she's in the sippy cup years.

Help?

Mommy to a gorgeous little miracle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2010, 02:51 PM

Have you considered getting an over-sized purse/bag that you absolutely love, and then visit the local Babies-r-Us and get an insulated pouch or two and any other accessories you want and put them in the bag?

Me...?
I am a very casual, hiking boots with my skirts kind of mama. I just buy a new Jansport backpack for the job.

DH&Me  Christ follower, homeschooler, gardener, (insert lots of additional crunchiness here) chicken mama, & occasionally blogger. intactlact.gifMama of  boys 9,7,3.5,&11months....& SURPRISE jaw2.gif  expecting a BOY in November!  7 sweet-babes gone too soon.

Old 05-14-2010, 03:02 PM - Thread Starter

What a great idea!! Thanks! For some reason I was trapped in thinking it HAD to be something marketed as a "diaper bag." I do like the idea of lots of pockets and organization, but now the options are endless. I wish someone would just pick it for me.

Mommy to a gorgeous little miracle
Old 05-14-2010, 03:12 PM

I picked the Diaper Dude Diaper Bag in black cause it's not a crazy baby-print or anything. It's designed like a messenger bag and has a ton of pockets.

ETA: For DS, I never had a diaper bag. I just used an old leather backpack or a big canvas tote. I still use them on occasion when I need to just throw a few things together but figured I need a bag for the two of them or i'd be a total mess when I wanted to take them out together.

Allyson ~ wife to C (1/20/07), mummy to E (1/13/08) , S (7/12/2010)
We're A C E S
Old 05-14-2010, 03:18 PM

I have had 3 diaper bags and a large non-diaper bag. I like the non-diaper bag because of its size and how it looks. For me, it's not something I would use regularly. The pockets are not laid out for baby use. They aren't shaped for anything useful and there aren't enough properly sized and shaped pockets to separate food and drinks from dirty things like diapers and potty seats. I thought the non-diaper bag looked good when I got it, but it really doesn't play out as well.

We cloth diaper, so the diaper bag needed to be larger than I originally anticipated. Carrying two cloth diapers, wipes, and wetbags takes up way more space than with disposables. My favorite diaper bag came from Pottery Barn Kids, but they discontinued the style. I loved the layout of my Skip Hop Dash, but it was a little too small once dd needed the potty seat (she started using it at 8 months in public). However, I did not get their largest one, so you might look into that one. Or get the Dash and move up to something larger when you outgrow the first one.
Old 05-14-2010, 03:33 PM

One thing to remember is that if you use cltoh diapers, be sure to pick a bag that can do the job. Cloth dipes take up way more space than the chemical dipes do. For the first while at least. We used to keep a stash of dipes in the car and grab 2-3 dipes to go with us in the diaper bag.

I bought the skip hop bag and really loved it for it's compact size and I like the print on it. They may have it in black. But I especially loved it because it was durable. We were gifted some other bag that we returned twice in the first few months because the seams kept tearing. We finally got a refund on that thing and bought somthing durable. The skip hop still looks brand new and it's 2 years old.

SAHM to DD 03/08 & DD 06/10 made with love with my DP

Old 05-14-2010, 04:48 PM

umm...I am slightly embarassed to admit this but we live near a coach outlet and got an amazing deal on a beautiful brown LARGER leather purse that I adore as a diaper/kid bag. I use it as my regular purse (cause why carry around something extra?). My gripe with diaper bags was that the ones I loved cost more then I was willing to spend and then the pockets inside were never the proper size to use...frustrating. SO I just bought an insulated pouch and small zipper wet bags and am good to go! I also bought a jjcole changing mat to use but have since found the etsy site theuncommonkid and she makes an almost identical product but I guess the pockets fit the colth dipes REALLY well....I am considering ordering one!
I DID buy orginally a large diaper bag (think size of an overnight bag almost!) and I would use that when we did a REALLY long car trip or a super involved all day trip and would need changes of clothes and all the assortment of stuffola!
Old 05-14-2010, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chattyprincess View Post
umm...I am slightly embarassed to admit this but we live near a coach outlet and got an amazing deal on a beautiful brown LARGER leather purse that I adore as a diaper/kid bag. I use it as my regular purse (cause why carry around something extra?).

stuffola!
Great word, stuffola!!!
Love the visual imagery of a large brown leather purse as diaper bag.....

Emma - Welsh Wife to DH and Mummy to DS, Lloyd 13/08/07 and Cerys 15/07/10
Living in Russia
Old 05-14-2010, 05:52 PM

I can't stand carrying around 2 bags either. I just buy a nice sized "big" purse and that's my diaper/kid bag too. I used to have a drawstring backpack which I loved too. I like my larger purses now because I have more compartments. One side kid's and other side mom's.

ETA: Got it at Target for $17.

winner.jpg Mom to 9 ~*~ 4 babygirl.gif  4 babyboy.gif & 1rainbow1284.gif(MtF) ~*~ uc.jpg  lactivist.gif novaxnocirc.gif Rainbow.gif heartbeat.gif

Old 05-14-2010, 06:04 PM

I'm another no-official-diaper-bag mama. We usually have backpacks lying around and just pick one. I still like having a (very) little purse separate. I particularly like a backpack if I'm wearing the little one in front. (or visca versa).

me dh ds1 (11/04) ds2 (7/10) and
Old 05-14-2010, 06:04 PM

I will probably use my purse if I don't get one from my shower. My purse is HUGE and I can fit all kids of stuff in there. What will I need to put in there anyway other than a few extra diapers, wipes, and a change of clothes?

(But I think my BFF told my DP that she was thinking about getting me this. I love sparkly shiny stuff.)

DS 8/4/04 "You're my best mommy in the deep blue sea!"
****5****10****15****20****25****30****35****40*
Old 05-14-2010, 06:07 PM

Just wanted to add that I don't carry two purses. I have a wristlet that I keep in my diaper bag and when I'm without dd, I just grab that. I like not carrying a purse around when I'm without dd after carrying that diaper bag around all the time!
Old 05-14-2010, 06:09 PM

I really want a JuJuBe Packabe but that is SO not gonna happen. Money sucks. http://www.amazon.com/Ju-Be-Packabe-.../dp/B00196PIZQ

Becky- Wife to DH, Mama to "Nani" (July '08) "Coco" (July '10) and expecting one very wiggly baby boy in May 2013!

Old 05-14-2010, 09:30 PM

We use the backpack that attaches to the Ergo. I also use an over sized purse that holds all my stuff and baby stuff

Amy, Army wife living in S. Korea, mama to my inverted t c/s baby 04.05.08 and my VBAC with inverted t baby 07.24.10
Old 05-14-2010, 11:33 PM

I am a fan of backpacks. You can fit lots of stuff and it doesn't fall off your shoulder. Also, you can get into it with one hand. Very important. It is nothing I am thrilled about, but I am just using a pack I already have. I figured it's better the reuse than consume. Which is hard since I love buying bags.
Old 05-15-2010, 01:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by queenofchaos View Post
I am a fan of backpacks. You can fit lots of stuff and it doesn't fall off your shoulder. Also, you can get into it with one hand. Very important. It is nothing I am thrilled about, but I am just using a pack I already have. I figured it's better the reuse than consume. Which is hard since I love buying bags.
I just reread my post...kind of sounds a bit frivolous with out more explaination... I have purchased a new backpack with each of my boys, when it is no longer needed as their 'diaper bag' it becomes their own suitcase/travel bag. They get constant use, my boys LOVE carrying things around in their "pack-pack"!!

DH&Me  Christ follower, homeschooler, gardener, (insert lots of additional crunchiness here) chicken mama, & occasionally blogger. intactlact.gifMama of  boys 9,7,3.5,&11months....& SURPRISE jaw2.gif  expecting a BOY in November!  7 sweet-babes gone too soon.

Old 05-15-2010, 02:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoBabyMaker View Post
I really want a JuJuBe Packabe but that is SO not gonna happen. Money sucks. http://www.amazon.com/Ju-Be-Packabe-.../dp/B00196PIZQ
Ooo I like those too. I'm actually partial to the "Dad Bag" LOL I like messenger bags like those and the Dad bag is just like that.

But you are right tre` expen$ive!! Oh well.

winner.jpg Mom to 9 ~*~ 4 babygirl.gif  4 babyboy.gif & 1rainbow1284.gif(MtF) ~*~ uc.jpg  lactivist.gif novaxnocirc.gif Rainbow.gif heartbeat.gif

Old 05-15-2010, 06:06 AM

I was just going to buy one of those big summer-y bags from Target and use that, but then I found a nice diaper bag at a thrift store for cheap, and I loved all the pockets and the changing pad that was already in it. I think it was a JJ Cole. I do like the Diaper Dude style but I'm way too cheap for a nice diaper bag. I actually think I'll end up using my standard Jansport backpack more than anything.

Weirdo Mama to amazing Aurelia, age 9 & Ember Roslyn, age 3!
Old 05-15-2010, 07:06 AM

I'm not a big help since I just use a sporty backpack diaperbag. I can't stand regular diaper bags that always slide off my shoulder. And when baby is out of diapers then I've got a regular backpack available for whoever need one at home.

hide.gif Me 41, single mom to modifiedartist.gifdd 4/2001 and demon.gif ds 7/17/2010

Old 05-15-2010, 10:37 AM

www.kids.woot.com has a cool bag today. I really like the camo one!
Old 05-15-2010, 02:11 PM

I have my diaper bag from when DD was a baby, it's just a cheap, black bag but I was never a huge fan of it. It did the job okay, but like others, I found it slipping off my shoulder. I think this time I will just a back pack.

Lana: Mama to Mya Oct/2007 and Ainsley July/2010
Old 05-15-2010, 02:35 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Haven't put much thought into this. I've got a big leather purse that might work, it doesn't have many pockets though. DH has a manhattan portage messenger bag that he wants to use. I figure those'll work.

Me dreads.gif 32, loving him fuzmalesling.gif33, more each day. Rad boy, jog.gif 7/12/10 & Cool gal baby.gif  4/28/13

I'm a biracial, atheist, humanist, pacifist, anarchist, bibliophile, and educator. Rainbow.gifgd.gifwinner.jpgnocirc.gif

Old 05-15-2010, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcooper View Post
www.kids.woot.com has a cool bag today. I really like the camo one!
Nice! Too bad the black is sold out, as hubby and I could have shared. Think I'll go with Dreamtime. Thanks for the tip -- I hadn't checked woot yet today.

Old 05-15-2010, 04:02 PM

I usually get something I only kind of like so this time I really want a nice bag bc I love nice purses when I'm not using a diaper bag. I'm a bag junkie! They make me happy I love this one http://www.diaperbags.com/designer-b...0dot&tid=exact

I'm just not sure about the size. Does anyone know if it would be big enough for a cloth-diapered babe? This is my first time using cloth so I have no idea if it'll work. I can always keep extra dipes in the car and just carry like two with me but I also want to be able to fit everything else in it too. There are some Kalencom bags I liked too but I love that Skip Hop!

Sky, mama to dd 10/00, dd 3/02, ds 7/04, dd 3/07, ds 7/10, stork-girl.gif11/12 & married 11 yrs

Old 05-15-2010, 08:44 PM

Do a google search for OiOi diaper bag - I got a sleek diaper backpack by them for my first with a gift certificate I had been given. Definitely nice!
Old 05-15-2010, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoBabyMaker View Post
Sorry I'm not in your DDC. But I saw this thread in "new posts" and have a tiny obsession with diaper bags! And Ju-Ju-Be is my absolute favorite! They are great for cloth diapers, too! (the designers actually use them when designing the bags!) Not sure if you know it or not but Ju-Ju-Be has a FSOT forum on their site and you can get REALLY good deals and almost new bags there. That's how I got started. I got a BeAll & PackaBe off FSOT and now I have quite a few. And they just came out with a few new ones that the moms over there are loving (I didn't buy the new ones yet as my youngest is 2.5 and I'm outgrowing them! )

Use THIS LINK to see all the products...

And then THIS LINK to their forum, and you can find the FSOT board. Great people over there!!

Sorry don't mean to make this like an infomercial or anything but I just really LOVE JJB. Great company, people, and most of all bags!

Mama to (DS 7) and (DD 5), wife to DH

User Tag List