Tooth extraction during pregnancy? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 06-08-2010, 03:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Went to the dentist for a cleaning today, turns out I have an infected, cracked tooth that has caused an abscess in my gums. The abscess drains occasionally. I first noticed it about two weeks ago. The tooth needs to be extracted ASAP, before the baby is born. The infection is localized, thank goodness, and he doesn't think I need antibiotics.

Dentist will use Lidocaine (local anesthetic, the freezing they use for fillings).

Has anyone had teeth extracted during pregnancy? What can I expect? Is Lidocaine safe? What about for pain relief afterwards (I didn't take anything after my wisdom teeth were pulled a few years ago, so I probably won't need anything, but just in case, I'd like to be prepared)?

A + J = Miriam (November 2006) and Raymond (June 2010)
#2 of 7 Old 06-08-2010, 05:01 PM

A while back I saw a thread on the main "I'm Pregnant" forum about this, so you might want to search there. Good luck mama!

Paula, mama to DS M (7/2010) sleepytime.gif and Watson (1998) dog2.gif and welcoming baby Penny (8/1/2013) babyf.gif

#3 of 7 Old 06-08-2010, 05:02 PM

I had a cracked and infected tooth extracted before I got pregnant. I needed to have IV anesthesia, which they would not have done if I was pregnant. I don't know what they would have done if I was pregnant.

I can tell you that we tried to get pregnant for almost a year before it happened. When I saw three different dentists at three different practices (I wanted extra opinions on having the tooth extracted), they all mentioned that it could have taken so long to get pregnant because the tooth was infected and that type of infection in the mouth is toxic to babies. Constantly swallowing the infection can create a toxic placenta, which the dentists all said would have been enough for my body to know it shouldn't get pregnant.

So, I haven't actually looked into the lidocaine while pregnant issue, but I can tell you that if you are swallowing that infection, it can be very toxic for your baby.

After my extraction, they gave me a prescription for an antibiotic mouthwash and codeine. I had to rinse my mouth out twice a day to prevent infection and never took any pain relievers.
#4 of 7 Old 06-08-2010, 05:04 PM

I had to have an emergency root canal a couple weeks ago. They did it as fast as they could, and propped me up so I wasn't laying on my back for too long. Like you, I never even took any pain meds after my wisdom teeth were removed, but for some reason, I was in pain after this root canal and I did take some tylenol to take the edge off so I could drive home. GL Mama!

First time Mama, in love with my DH and we're in LOVE with our baby girl!!!
mdcblog5.gif
#5 of 7 Old 06-08-2010, 06:20 PM

Well, I just had two teeth removed and three implants plus a bridge placed . . . and I'm 33wks along. 7 hrs in the dentist chair, that was rough!

I had IV sedation--they call it "conscious sedation"; it is a really low dose, and the surgeon (I believe one of the best in his field) has said that they have used it and operated on pregnant women before (Versed is the name of the general they gave me). I thought I could get by on just tylenol for afterward, but tylenol wouldn't even touch the pain, so I took 2.5 vicodin spread out over 3 days. I had my midwife's blessing for the surgery, and she said that the amount of vike is practically nothing. Vicodin is prescribed for pregnant women. Lidocaine is safe for preggers. If I hadn't been getting implants, I would've requested just the lidocaine and not the iv/vike, but my mw and I (and pharmacist and surgeon) all agreed that it is better to take a little meds than for the pg woman's body to be wracked with stress from the pain.

The baby is fine and all this barely registered a blip on the pregnancy radar--I had a mw visit today, and I'm actually in better shape than I was before because I've been so on the ball about getting really good nutrition and rest.

My point is that if you need the op then do it and don't obsess about the what-ifs. It will be okay.

Happy and in love with my family!
#6 of 7 Old 06-08-2010, 06:20 PM

I had to get a filling in my second trimester and did the lidocaine research - my midwife was fine with it as long as it didn't have the epinephrin in it, as that raises blood pressure in babies and mamas. Only problem is that it also wears of REALLY fast!! Good luck!
#7 of 7 Old 06-08-2010, 08:37 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone! I'm not looking forward to it (next Tuesday), but I'm nervous about postponing it for a few weeks since I don't want septicemia or worse if the infection spreads. Mine is from a cracked tooth too, and it's a baby tooth at that. The dentist said it should be easy since baby teeth aren't as strong or deep. (It's a baby tooth that never fell out, just a freak of nature I guess, and no adult tooth ever grew in my gums, so this one is 30 years old! Blech!).

I'll just do the Lidocaine, and hopefully won't need anything afterwards. Vicodin is not very popular here in Canada, as the most common analgesics are Percocet or Tylenol #3 (I'm a nurse), but the dentist said I should be fine with just plain Tylenol.

Thanks again!

A + J = Miriam (November 2006) and Raymond (June 2010)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page