Eclipses effecting labor? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 06-10-2010, 09:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was in a shop today looking at toys, and this older man said "How long do you got?" I answered that I had a little more than 6 weeks. He said "Oh, I don't think you'll make it." I asked him why he would say that, and he told me that there were two eclipses between now and my due date. I sort of loved the conversation.
So I looked it up when I got home- there's a partial lunar eclipse on June 26th that will be visible from North America, and a total solar eclipse on July 11 that won't be (S. America and across the Pacific Islands).

It was interesting to hear because I was born on a the night of a lunar eclipse!!

It might be all oogeldy-boogeldy, but I'm curious. Are more babies born on eclipses, I wonder?

JENNY, 38~ preschool teacher, birth activist, sun worshiper, singer, married for 17 years and mom to

Karan 15, Fiona 12, Bodhi 10, Bjorn 6, Devon 3, and Robin Taylor born January 16th!

#2 of 13 Old 06-10-2010, 09:12 PM

I have no idea! That is a great point...you know, there are a lot of us that are due in July that have a funny feeling our babies are coming early. I'm a midwife and I don't really know the answer, but I'll bounce the idea around. I'd love to know what others think.
#3 of 13 Old 06-10-2010, 09:22 PM

Oooh! I hadn't realized that there was an eclipse!! Fun!

I don't know the answer to your question, but I would hazard a yes, that an eclipse could bring out a baby who was already tempted to be born.

When I gave birth to my dd, it was the spring equinox, a full moon and a record snowstorm. So there was a lot going on. But, when my water broke prelabor, I paged my midwife who informed me that the hospital birth unit was closed because there were that many women in labor. Also, all the midwives at my clinic were occupied delivering babies. The coolest most interesting part is that ALL of the women in midwifery care, 8 of us, had our membranes rupture prelabor. Now that is unusual! And really interesting to me!

I want an eclipse baby!!

SAHM to DD 03/08 & DD 06/10 made with love with my DP

#4 of 13 Old 06-10-2010, 09:58 PM

oooo, this is really interesting to me! Not knowing anything about the eclipses or lunar cycle or anything, I have predicted that these babies will come June 26th. Funny thing is, there was a labor pool at my baby shower at work, and three other ladies (out of 8) also predicted this date. (They had no idea of my previous prediction.) Things that make you go hmmmm. LOL
#5 of 13 Old 06-10-2010, 10:14 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Oh! I don't want an early baby for financial reasons (born earlier = daycare payments sooner) but that would be so cool!!

Loving mama to Aden (8/5/2010) and DSD (15).
#6 of 13 Old 06-10-2010, 11:28 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Interesting. I've always heard about babies coming on the full moon, but not on an eclipse.

wash.gif  Me  + bikenew.gif Dh =  broc1.gif  Dd1(9 yrs) + hearts.gif  Dd2(6 yrs) and blowkiss.gif Ds(3.5 yrs)
#7 of 13 Old 06-11-2010, 01:30 AM

Never heard of babies coming on an eclipse night, either, but my midwife last time suggested that lots of babies come on the full moon. Sure enough, dd came on a full moon (well, 6 am the morning after)... So eclipses - why not?

Mama to DD (11/07) and DS (07/10)
#8 of 13 Old 06-11-2010, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamakaikai View Post
I would hazard a yes, that an eclipse could bring out a baby who was already tempted to be born.
Ack! No, don't tell me this. My unborn kid is just waiting for an invitation . . .

Eclipse baby would be cool, as long as it's the July one and not the June. Late June would mean we have to go to the hospital and possible NICU and all that.

DD was born on a full moon---record high heats and then a heavy rain. It was beautiful!

Happy and in love with my family!
#9 of 13 Old 06-11-2010, 04:10 PM

My one data point:

Ds was due 10/30/04 and there was a full moon w/ total lunar eclipse 10/27/04. Ds was born nearly two weeks later.

I never expected him to be so late (until I learned that dh and ALL his brothers were 2+ weeks late)!

me dh ds1 (11/04) ds2 (7/10) and
#10 of 13 Old 06-11-2010, 04:45 PM

Hmm, I am open to June 26th. I want to snuggle this little one!

Becky- Wife to DH, Mama to "Nani" (July '08) "Coco" (July '10) and expecting one very wiggly baby boy in May 2013!

#11 of 13 Old 06-11-2010, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamakaikai View Post
When I gave birth to my dd, it was the spring equinox, a full moon and a record snowstorm. So there was a lot going on. But, when my water broke prelabor, I paged my midwife who informed me that the hospital birth unit was closed because there were that many women in labor. Also, all the midwives at my clinic were occupied delivering babies. The coolest most interesting part is that ALL of the women in midwifery care, 8 of us, had our membranes rupture prelabor. Now that is unusual! And really interesting to me!

Wow, so what happened? Did you end up with a UC?

Amy (34): mommy to DD1 (11/07) and DD2 (7/10), wife, wohm, and wannabe suburban homesteader.
#12 of 13 Old 06-11-2010, 05:15 PM - Thread Starter

My babies were never interested in the phases of the moon and all passed up perfectly timed full moons in favor of their own random timing!

JENNY, 38~ preschool teacher, birth activist, sun worshiper, singer, married for 17 years and mom to

Karan 15, Fiona 12, Bodhi 10, Bjorn 6, Devon 3, and Robin Taylor born January 16th!

#13 of 13 Old 06-11-2010, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyKT View Post
Wow, so what happened? Did you end up with a UC?
Well, despite my crazy irritable uterus and threatened preterm labor at 30 weeks...once my water broke on the thursday morning I waited and waited and nothing happened. I finally agreed to be induced on the monday and had my baby 6 hours later. So by then, all the other babies were born and my midwives were well rested from their busy weekend!

But when we thought we were out of luck with the hospital birth unit being closed and there being no midwives available for home births, our options were to go to another city and deliver with an unknown hospital team, or have a UC. SO we gathered the necessities for a UC...and waited!

SAHM to DD 03/08 & DD 06/10 made with love with my DP

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page