Mothering Forum banner

Speed of successive labors?

905 views 21 replies 19 participants last post by  Jlse 
#1 ·
To go along with the "what time did your labor start" question:

What was the speed of your successive labors compared to your first labor?

My MW said that, on average, 2nd labors are about 1/2 the time of the first. I know that there is soooo much variation, so I'm wondering if there is any rhyme or reason to it - and how much of a rush I should be in to get to the hospital!

DD was a 10-hour labor, pretty easy the whole way through - and I think it would have been faster if I'd moved around more and been less stubborn.

#3 ·
I have heard this but I know it's not always the case. If it is, however, I'm in for a 2 hour labor. That is both awesome and scary to think about!!

#5 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by mamakaryn08 View Post
I have heard this but I know it's not always the case. If it is, however, I'm in for a 2 hour labor. That is both awesome and scary to think about!!
Me too!

#6 ·
If it holds true, I guess that would make my second one 15 hours, which I can deal with, as long as it's as slow and steady and easy-peasy as the first.

#7 ·
From start of contractions...

1. 8 hours
2. 7 hours
3. 1 1/2 hours
4. 40 hours

I think the time thing has a lot to do with the baby's position.

#8 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by slgt View Post
My MW said that, on average, 2nd labors are about 1/2 the time of the first.
My midwife said exactly the same thing. So I'm hoping for a 9 hour labour with this one (half of my first), and that sounds doable...not too short, not too long. But I'll be doing a LOT more walking this time!

#13 ·
mine were (from beginning to end)
3.5 hours
2.5 hours
1.5 hours
pregnant again...will be leaving for the hospital after first contraction this time

i have friends though with 5-6 kids and some of their later kids were more difficult/longer labors that the beginning ones.

#14 ·
#1 about 6 hrs (tho I did go through 2 days of ctrx every 10 mins that kept me up and didn't allow me to sleep, but didn't *feel* like the ctrx that came later, so maybe my count is off)
#2: 2 hrs
#3: 45 mins.
#4: 2.5 hrs
#5: 2 hrs
#6: 2.5 hrs

It seems like after that 1st one I just average about 2 hrs. At 35+5 today at my dr appt, I am 3 cm and 50% effaced. And I can't say that I have had that much or intense BH ctrx, so it looks like I am in for another short labor. Two hrs is just fine. LOL The 45 min labor sounds great, but it was really intense and so fast it was almost out-of-control, if that makes any sense. Just too fast. Yes, I'll take another 2 hr labor, please.

#15 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by mataji4 View Post
From start of contractions...

1. 8 hours
2. 7 hours
3. 1 1/2 hours
4. 40 hours

I think the time thing has a lot to do with the baby's position.
ITA

Pour moi:
1. 17 hours
2. 3 hours

#17 ·
#1 - scheduled c/s - breech presentation
#2 - 3hr 50min - hosp VBAC, epidural (first labor) 7lbs 10oz
#3 - 1hr 45min - home water birth - 9lbs 8oz
#4 - 2hr 50min - unassisted homebirth "land" - 9lbs
#5 - 1hr 30min - UC water birth - 7lbs 15oz
#6 - 45min - UC water birth - 10lbs 9oz
#7 - 1hr 40min - UC waterbirth - 7lbs 15oz

My "land" births took longer than my water births. I don't think size played a big role in the speed either. I love my L&D's. I have no complaints, LOL

#19 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by emilyash View Post
If you began to dilate prior to labor for birth #1, will it hapen again?

I was 6cm when I went into labor with #1, then had an 8-hour journey....but if I don't start out at 6cm, that could all go out the window
That was the case for me in all of my pregnancies. Even with my first where I didn't get a chance to labor I was still dilated and effaced prior to birth.

I start D&E'ing around 34 weeks and progress very slowly over the course of 3-4 weeks before baby comes. By the time I deliver I have been dialted between 5-10cm and have been effced between 60%-100%. Every single time *for me*.

So good luck. I hope you D&E for this one too and have a nice easy L&D.

#22 ·
This is interesting to read, here is mine:

#1 6-7 hours face presentation
#2 6 - 6 1/2 hours posterior birth
#3 6 - 6 1/2 hours posterior birth
#4 - so far is posterior trying everything to get to LOA

I started all labors from no dialation - midwife checked me upon arriving a few hours after being in labor and I'd only be at 1 cm with hard labor 3-5 min. apart. For me labor seems to go from zero to hard within the first 2 or 3 contractions and surprises me each time! I was with my kids checking out books at the library with #3 and had to pull over for contractions on the way home. Hoping not to be in public this time

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.