Mothering Forum banner

Evening Primrose

687 views 10 replies 10 participants last post by  chiromommy 
#1 ·
Does anyone know how much or how often? My due date is 3 weeks away, so my midwife said I could start taking evening primrose capsules orally, but I forgot to ask how much/how often Anyone else trying anything to start to get ready?

#4 ·
I started last week (36 weeks), one 1000mg vaginally at night (to maximize absorption and minimize fall-out!). But I don't know if thats enough, so maybe I'll try two? I can't reach my cervix, so I don't think I'm getting it up high enough, but hopefully any little bit helps.

#5 ·

Do you put the whole gelcap in vaginally or do you squeeze the oil out somehow? I was thinking I would prick the gelcap with a pin then put it in... Does the gel cap disolve in there overnight?

#6 ·
Yes, it dissolves overnight, and I've never had to prick it, but it does get messy (I don't remember it being so messy with my last pregnancy with DD, but for some reason, a lot of it leaks out this time around...you might be changing the sheets more often!).

But perhaps if you prick it and put it in as high as possible (I can't reach very far up there), and maybe even squeeze it out a bit, then it will be absorbed faster and you won't lose so much of it the first time you get up to pee at night? I'm going to try that tonight.

#10 ·
I burst the capsules on my fingers and apply it that way. I can reach my cervix because it is anterior. I don't like having a gelcap in there for some reason and feel better about knowing the oil get directly where it's intended to go.

#11 ·
My protocol has always been 1000 mg 2x day orally beginning at 37 weeks. Add another 1000 mg at night applied vaginally starting at 38 weeks. I poke the end of the cap and then get it as close to cervix as possible and squeeze.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.