Filling the Birth Pool!! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 27 Old 06-12-2010, 08:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
For a test run. I'll keep you posted on our adventure in case you want to learn from our mistakes, which I am sure to encounter! But I finally get to have a bath this pregnancy!! And who knows, maybe it will entice the baby to be born before we empty it. Come on baby!

Any BTDT bits of advice for me or anyone else filling a birth pool?!

SAHM to DD 03/08 & DD 06/10 made with love with my DP

#2 of 27 Old 06-12-2010, 08:42 PM

Have fun! I haven't done a trial run on mine but I have rented out to someone else and plan to ask her how it went. We do know already that we will be boiling water to heat it. blahg

Amy, Army wife living in S. Korea, mama to my inverted t c/s baby 04.05.08 and my VBAC with inverted t baby 07.24.10
#3 of 27 Old 06-12-2010, 10:00 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
We're getting ours on Monday. Keep us posted!

"When one who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest!"
#4 of 27 Old 06-13-2010, 12:52 AM

I used a kiddie pool the last time and I did a run through on it's air fill. I wasn't concerned about the water fill so much.

But it only took us less than 5 mins to blow the pool up with the electric air pump. Since I like water running over my belly during surges I knew I'd be fine in a half empty pool with the hose pouring warm water over my belly during labor. Even still I think it was less than 15-20 mins to fill the pool up with warm/hot water. That was 100ish gallons.

winner.jpg Mom to 9 ~*~ 4 babygirl.gif  4 babyboy.gif & 1rainbow1284.gif(MtF) ~*~ uc.jpg  lactivist.gif novaxnocirc.gif Rainbow.gif heartbeat.gif

#5 of 27 Old 06-13-2010, 01:09 AM

My heart was racing. I thought you were in labor when I read the title. Soon enough though, right?

Mommy to a gorgeous little miracle
#6 of 27 Old 06-13-2010, 01:33 AM - Thread Starter

That was remarkably smooth and straight forward.

Here's a breakdown of what it took to get the pool filled and drained.

* inflating the pool: 10 minutes. It was inflated a while ago and we topped it up, 5 minutes, with more air just before filling it. We used an electric air pump.

* filling it: we used a faucet->hose adapter and a 50 ft hose. The adapter costs less that $5 and just screws on to your tap, takes 3 seconds. The hose was new, never used. We intended to attach the hose to the bathroom sink about 10 feet away from out birth pool, but the sink would not fit the adapter because it has no groves in the faucet. So we had to attach the hose to the kitchen sink, downstairs and across the house. By luck, the distance was precisely 50ft away.

* Filling the pool timeline:

7:45 start filling with cold water
7:55 Start filling with hot water (heater on extra hot)
8:08 water is running cool again. about 8 inches of warm water in pool
turning hose off
9:00pm tap water is still too cool to continue to fill
9:40 water check in pool=still warm. start to fill with more hot water
10:00 water in hose running cold. Pool water is hot.

Takes 13 minutes for the hot water tank to empty.

So it took about 2 hours to get enough water in the pool to use it the way I wanted. I had a bath in it and the water was perfect for a hot bath but too hot for birth for my liking. There was enough water in the pool to cover me up to my belly button when I was sitting straight up. There was room in the pool for another tank of water. For birth, I think filling more of the pool with cold water would have gotten me more water and cooled it down to something more comfortable to birth in.

I feel satisfied with 2 tanks of hot water plus cold water top up as far as water volume for comfort measure goes. But I would prefer a few more inches of water, ideally.

2 hours to get it to this volume of water seems like a long time if birth happens quickly. I'm not sure when the water in the tap got hot again, sometime between 9 and 9:40 so maybe it might have only take 1.5 hrs to fill the pool. Not sure how to get around that. Boiling water on the stove or in a kettle would heat the water, but would take way too long to actually increase the volume.

Emptying the pool was easy. It took about 10 minutes. We siphoned the water through the hose into the kitchen sink. It was painless.

The pool we used was this one it's 60 inches in diameter and 22inches deep. It's a bit smaller than I would prefer; I'd like to extend my legs a bit more. But I feel it is deep enough and will be fine for diameter. Also, if it were any bigger, then I would have issues with filling it with water.

This pool has a 106 gallon at 80% capacity. Our hot water tank is 60 gallons.

The pool floor is not inflatable. So we have it on top of about 4 duvets/quilts. I found that really comfortable and cushy. It will also absorb water spills.

So all in all, not bad at all! And I got a nice relaxing bath out of it

HTH!!

#7 of 27 Old 06-13-2010, 02:40 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I'm doing my test run tomorrow morning.... so how did yours go? Any tips, or advice?
#8 of 27 Old 06-13-2010, 12:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nervousnelle View Post
My heart was racing. I thought you were in labor when I read the title. Soon enough though, right?
Hehe! I was feeling rascally with the title
But yes, soon enough.

Seriously though, somebody has to have a baby soon!! it's only 17 days before the 1st of July and lotsa babes come a week or two before their due dates. Who's it gonna be?!!!

#9 of 27 Old 06-13-2010, 12:25 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by maranapanda View Post
I'm doing my test run tomorrow morning.... so how did yours go? Any tips, or advice?
Have you done the test run yet? I'd be interested in knowing how it goes for you too and if you have any tips.

Other than what I posted above, I say keep the pool inflated and positioned where you want to fill it in the days or weeks leading to the birth. Have the adapters and hose ready and easily accessible so it goes quick when you need to get it started. Turn your hot water heater up as high as you are comfortable having it in the days/weeks leading to the birth. Position the pool so that your midwives can access you as easily as possible, especially if there is shoulder dystocia or something else that needs immediate access to you. I have 2 'emergency blankets' (the kind you use for camping...made of aluminum foil or something)to keep the pool warm if it is filled for a long time and I am not in it.

It was much easier and straight forward than we though. Our only hiccup was that we did this at bedtime and our dd was desperate to get in the pool.

#10 of 27 Old 06-13-2010, 12:28 PM - Thread Starter

The other thing I did was to position the pool in a corner of the bedroom. There is still lots of room to access me if needed. But the two walls really really help give structure to the pool walls. enough that I can put all of my weight against the walls while I push and there is no give. I wouldn't attempt sitting on these wall though. But I can put my chest and arms on the walls for support.

#11 of 27 Old 06-13-2010, 01:32 PM

We haven't gotten ours yet - we've had 2 water births and the inflatable pool didn't survive for this one (icky meconium w/ last babe as she was born - nearly impossible to clean). Dh is getting on my case nearly every day about getting it, but I haven't been able to find one here yet.

One thing about filling - we found that the hose will screw right into the shower head. Just unscrew the head and attach the hose, no need for an adapter. We do get a drinking water safe hose from a local boating shop so it may have a different size connector than a regular garden hose. Also with it being in the shower head it is very close to the pool and fills very fast, about a half hour.

We also usually inflate ours and keep it on it's side a few weeks before due. I get a plastic drop cloth from the painting section and then cover that with some towels to protect the carpet.

So much fun getting this close and getting ready!!!
#12 of 27 Old 06-13-2010, 01:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlse View Post

One thing about filling - we found that the hose will screw right into the shower head. Just unscrew the head and attach the hose, no need for an adapter.
Ooh, now there is an idea. I need to check this one out. It would sure beat going all the way downstairs into the kitchen!

#13 of 27 Old 06-13-2010, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maranapanda View Post
ok so clearly I had a time delay in reading your update post....

will let you know how mine goes today. Thanks for the tips!
#14 of 27 Old 06-13-2010, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlse View Post
We haven't gotten ours yet - we've had 2 water births and the inflatable pool didn't survive for this one (icky meconium w/ last babe as she was born - nearly impossible to clean). Dh is getting on my case nearly every day about getting it, but I haven't been able to find one here yet.
One of the best kiddie pools that are recommended are ones that are at least 25" deep. This is the one that comes recommended the most http://www.qualityinflatables.com/57493.html - it says 61" only because of the shade, but it is 25" w/o the shade. This site changed things up and only sells the pool WITH the shade. I found the same pool w/o the shade on Amazon & E-Bay.
http://www.shopwiki.com/Ocean+Ref+Hexagon+Pool+-+Intex
Amazon - http://tinyurl.com/2427ytn about $34 + shipping
e-Bay - http://tinyurl.com/25v75rn about $25 + shipping (negotiated price though & I got it for $22)

HTH

winner.jpg Mom to 9 ~*~ 4 babygirl.gif  4 babyboy.gif & 1rainbow1284.gif(MtF) ~*~ uc.jpg  lactivist.gif novaxnocirc.gif Rainbow.gif heartbeat.gif

#15 of 27 Old 06-13-2010, 11:22 PM

I am really glad to read your "report" about this pool because this is a specific one we are looking at if our midwife doesn't have a real birth pool available. We are in Montreal and the pools available here are different than the ones on the american websites, amazon.com etc. Many won't ship to Canada at all or the shipping is just too expensive. Thanks!

Canadian mom of Myron born in Japan, March 2007. Our second son born at home, wonderful HBAC in July 2010. I am a jeweller, I love creating things!

1***5****10****15****20****25****30****35**coolshine.gif*40****45, Due June 10th, 2014

#16 of 27 Old 06-13-2010, 11:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenanegans View Post
I am really glad to read your "report" about this pool because this is a specific one we are looking at if our midwife doesn't have a real birth pool available. We are in Montreal and the pools available here are different than the ones on the american websites, amazon.com etc. Many won't ship to Canada at all or the shipping is just too expensive. Thanks!
I know exactly what you mean about getting the infamous fishy pool we hear about. I gave up on that happening especially since I did not want to pay$50 to have it shipped! But it turns out this pool from CT works well. And I actually prefer that it has a calmer look to it...those fish might have been too stimulating for me in labor.

Despite my initial disappointment with not getting the 'right' pool, I think this one will work just fine. And it's on sale right now for less than $20.

Please let me know how you like it if you get it. I'd also recommend airing it out for at least a week. It smells strongly of plastic.

#17 of 27 Old 06-14-2010, 04:05 AM

We had our test today. I am so glad we did this, we discovered that our pump was missing the little 'heads' that we needed to fill the floor and seat part of our pool. We have the Eco pool in a box.
~It took us 5 minutes to fill with air with our electric pump, and
~about 30 minutes total for water.
I think.
We filled it half way, I got in, and let my kids get in with me to play a little. Then I had everyone leave the room and used the warm water hose to relax my aching lower back for a bit while it filled the rest of the way up. I actually fell asleep after that! I have never fallen asleep in water before, it was really very relaxing!

We used a pond pump to drain the pool. I think I'll keep the hose connected to the bathroom sink until labor day to save time in set up. I may change my mind if I end up being pregnant for the full 5 more weeks... But if this baby comes next week... (I wish I just KNEW when the baby was coming, it would solve so many things...)
#18 of 27 Old 06-14-2010, 03:04 PM

sweet--this is all so exciting! my tub arrived today and i am DYING for dh to get home....i can't set it up on my own because some furniture needs to be moved.....will let you know how it goes though! woohoo!

married to DH for 5 yrs, ds born at home 6/26/10
#19 of 27 Old 06-14-2010, 04:35 PM

When we filled our tub when DD was born, we ended up boiling water on the stove to supplement as the water in the tank cooled. Meant a faster fill in the end... Just a thought.

And we got the cliche of boiling water while someone was in labor, too!

Mama to DD (11/07) and DS (07/10)
#20 of 27 Old 06-14-2010, 05:45 PM

Yes! That's what we did yesterday too. It took DH less than 20minutes to get the pool out, lay down the tarp, and fill with air using an intex foot pump. Then 25 minutes of straight hot water from the bathroom tap and about another 5-10 minutes or lukewarm/cold water once hot ran out that got it halfway to the fill line. DD played in it all yesterday afternoon so it needs draining and cleaning. It is SO comfy! I'm so excited!
We have the Bassine pool, which is a dream come true. I found it 2nd hand but unused on craigslist with all the adapters/hose/accessories plus more than i need for homebirth supplies ALL for $100, so i'm very lucky to have it

Now it sits in the bedroom until needed..... !!!

Here it is, being filled. I'm standing at the foot of our bed when i took the picture.

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e1...une2010120.jpg

Mom to Lizzy born May 2007 & expecting Baby#2 June/July 2010
#21 of 27 Old 06-16-2010, 11:33 PM

finallllly got my tub set up and filled! took a few extra days because the company sent the wrong pump....drain instead of inflating....anyhow here's the info y'all want to know, again, this is for the aquaborn eco pool:

inflation took 4 minutes with pump (not including the cover for the tub--we did that while filling the tub and that prob. took 2-3 mins)

the instructions say to fill 12 cms of cold water, which we did. that took 11 minutes.

filled with hot water for 14 minnutes until water became tepid/cool.

checked tap water 30 mins later--still cool. checked again at 45 minutes and it was hot!

ran water for another 15 minutes and got in the tub....ahhh!

temp was 42C/104F, hotter than you want for a birth.

so from start to finish it took 1hr 45 mins.

#22 of 27 Old 06-16-2010, 11:58 PM - Thread Starter

evjolin, Thanks for sharing!! Sounds like we had a similar experience. It took us about 2 hours, but I think we could have had hot water a bit sooner if we checked a bit sooner.

I really don't understand how some mamas are getting a full warm pool in 15-20 minutes? Are there some freakishly large hot water tanks out there? Or are the pools on the cool/room temperature end of things?

I agree, our pool was too hot for a birth as well, though there was still room to add more cool water to fill it to a better birth use level and bring the temp down. I wanted a nice warm bath though! But 42C/104F is too warm. I did not take the water temp, but I guess it must have been similar.

I hope you enjoyed your bath!! Yay for birth pools!!

#23 of 27 Old 06-17-2010, 12:05 AM

I think it depends on the water capacity of the pools and water pressure. The first fishy pool I used was about 100 galons, the one I bought this time is 190 gallons so almost double so I don't know how hot/warm it will be nor how long it will take to fill.

#24 of 27 Old 06-17-2010, 12:07 AM

Also wanted to add I came across this blog about waterbirths and the different pools available with links and pics and what not. http://www.drmomma.org/2010/05/birth...aterbirth.html

#25 of 27 Old 06-17-2010, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UCmamaToMany View Post
I think it depends on the water capacity of the pools and water pressure. The first fishy pool I used was about 100 galons, the one I bought this time is 190 gallons so almost double so I don't know how hot/warm it will be nor how long it will take to fill.
yep!! my pool is 170 gallons.....that's a heck of a lot of water.

for what it's worth, when i got up this am, i checked the pool temp and it was at 96F....the lid thing really kept it quite warm overnight! so i guess i wouldn't hesitate to fill the pool on the early side...

#26 of 27 Old 06-17-2010, 12:16 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Gee, I guess I'm a bit behind. The MW brought the AquaDoula by last week, but we haven't even really looked at it much. I know we need to get a liner- MW has a client who she says still has an unused one here in town, but I haven't been able to get through to her yet. And what kind of hose or adapter do we need if we'll be filling the tub from our washing-machine hookup? Anybody know? I will at least buy a NEW hose, if not a food-grade one (we'll see how much they cost).

I hate to set the thing up ahead, though, since it will take up a lot of room, and I will probably not go into labor until 42 weeks or so, if this one follows tradition.

Glad to hear everybody is getting ready- and excited!! And great link, UCMamma, loved the pics- and the first Aquadoula pics were of someone who used my midwife!!

Wife to since '98; Homeschooling, working on my doctorate & becoming crunchier by the day; Mom to DSs: 06/10,12/05, & 1/99 & 1 on the way (3/15)
#27 of 27 Old 06-17-2010, 02:20 PM

dont feel behind!! and we are NOT leaving our pool set up--took it down this morning! our house is 900 sf, and i have 2 dogs.....no room to keep that baby up for 2-4 weeks!

as for the hose adapter, not sure which kind you need.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page