Mothering Forum banner

Sewing nursing tops

747 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  mummy marja 
#1 ·
I'm on a sewing spree today, and have managed to sew a ring sling, as well as a skirt made of three giant old t-shirts. Now I want to make some nursing tops!

Anyone done this before? I'd ideally like to use existing t-shirts and deconstruct them into nursing tops instead of buying fabric and starting from scratch. Does anyone have online (free) patterns or tutorials they've used? Anyone else wanting to sew these things along with me?

#2 ·
Me, me! I recently made 2 nursing tops for my sister, and I'd like to make a few for myself also. I'm planning on making a couple of nursing 'undershirts' which are basicallytank tops which scoop way down under the breasts in front. These will be good for cooler weather when I don't mind having two layers on. I saw them on a nursing-wear website but now I can't find them to show you what they look like. But basically it's a way of converting any top into a nursing top, just by wearing this extra underlayer. A lot of nursing tops have this extra layer built in.

The two I made for my sister are both tank tops. One is a basic spaghetti strap tank with slits for the breasts, and an empire-style over layer that lifts up for easy access. It's like having a shelf bra but on the outside of the top.

The second one is also a spaghetti strap tank top, with an extra layer of fabric going across the bust. This extra layer is gathered at the sides and wrinkles across the front, and can be lifted to access the slits for nursing.

These are just two ideas I had for nursing tops. I didn't have a pattern, just used a tank top that fit for the pattern.

Using old t-shirts is a fun idea! I'm not sure what I'd do with them, but if I come up with ideas I'll let you know!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.