Mothering Forum banner

Fast laboring mama's

550 views 10 replies 11 participants last post by  mummy marja 
#1 ·
My first labor was 6 hrs from first ctx to holding baby in arms. I know second labors tend to be faster, but not to count on it. But, if you've had a fast labor, let's say under 3 hours from first contraction, can you share a little bit of wisdom?

How long did it take for you to realize that you were in labor?
Did your contractions just start fast and furious?
When did you membranes rupture?
How long did you push?

I'm just wondering. I am at home with dd most of the time, but I am a bit worried that things will happen fast and I won't have a chance to gather my senses. This happened last time, I just went straight into laborland. But I am worried about dd this time. If I am alone with her and it takes a while for anyone to get here to come help with her.

Thanks for sharing!

#2 ·
my 2nd labor was 4 hours. It was very fast, and I had dd with me till the last 45 minutes. It really was okay. There was one point that I wanted to panic, being alone, things progressing so quickly. I thought about going to my neighbors house, but she doesn't speak english. Instead I stayed calm, helped my 2.5 yo dd when she needed me, and focused on my breathing till dh came home.

The worst part of my fast labor was being stuck in rush hour for an hour on the way to the birthing center! That's one of my big reasons for having a homebirth this time around!!! I got to the birthing center at 6cm, and 45 minutes later had my son.

The only thing anyone can know for certain is that our labor will end with a baby.
Everything else is up in the air!

#4 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by maranapanda View Post
The worst part of my fast labor was being stuck in rush hour for an hour on the way to the birthing center! That's one of my big reasons for having a homebirth this time around!!! I got to the birthing center at 6cm, and 45 minutes later had my son.
Similar here!

Woke up 8:30 a.m., first ctxns started right away with bloody show. I knew we would be having a baby that day. Within half an hour, I was lying on the livingroom floor, unable to get up, asking dd1 to get dh and have him fill up a hot water bottle (back labour).

My mom came to pick up dd1. My dad was supposed to watch her but we told my mom there would be oodles of time! My first labour was 17 hours. So my dad went out shopping and my mom stayed at her place with dd1. Well we were wrong about having oddles of time. The ctxns were fast and furious, going from 7 mins to 5 mins to 4 mins to 3 mins to 2 mins within an hour and a half. At around 10:00 a.m. dh called the MW who said to meet her at the hospital, called the doulas. My mom and dd1 came back ("Mommy, what are you doing?" --seeing me breathing hard and fast on the ground, lying on my side with the hot water bottle on my back-- "I'm just breathing to help my muscles work hard, because your little sister is going to be born soon."). We discovered that there wouldn't be enough room in the car for her to take us all to the hospital.

I started pushing involuntarily and dh had to call for an ambulance to take us to the hospital because he doesn't drive. Well, the ambulance got lost, then they couldn't get all their stuff upstairs. I had to walk with the drivers to the elevator, my water broke when we got to the bottom floor
, then when we finally got to the hospital the elevator wasn't working.
Finally we got up to a room in L&D and I was fully dilated (coulda told you that!!!! I was holding back pushing for almost an hour!!! that was very unpleasant). I pushed dd2 out in 20 mins. She was born at 11:30 a.m.

So 3 hours from first ctxn to baby in my arms. Baby could have been born sooner but we had that silly ambulance and elevator mishap. This too is one of the reasons I decided to try HB again.

I recall feeling overwhelmed by the intensity and how out of control things seemed because everything was so fast, and it was almost like my body had a life of it's own. The overwhelming strength with which I pushed the baby out was also scary - that I could be so strong and not know it. Does that make sense?

Mostly I just wanted my MWs there to tell me everything was okay and safe. That would be my only concern again this time if it was all super fast. After the birth was done, I remember thinking, "What? That was it?" So much less painful than my first birth, and the involuntary pushing/bearing down is a million times better than purple pushing was.

I too was worried/wondering what would happen if dh was at work and I was home with the kids one day and went into labour. What if it was fast and furious and I had to frantically call all over the place? Well, I guess I would just deal.

I think it's just normal to be thinking about this stuff.

My first birth with dd1 was traumatic, my second was lovely and wonderful. I really wonder what this third will be like since I have seen both ends of the spectrum. I am hoping for another fast and wonderful birth but you never know.

#5 ·
Second labor was 4 hours, pushed for about 35 minutes I think.

I was induced, though, by the doctor breaking my water. I had wanted to avoid pitocin if possible and that worked to start labor so I did not have to have pitocin.

After my water was broken, labor started about an hour later.

#6 ·
My first labor was 37 hours of the rough stuff.. hours and hours of pushing.

Second was 14 hours, and 2 pushes.

3rd 4 hours 1 push

4th only had two contractions, they didn't really even hurt, she was born in the caul, no pushes, she just flew out lol.

I knew something was happening, but there wasn't any real pain, I just felt like laying down, then wham, that horrible bottom pain, then there she was. We broke her water after she was born.

#7 ·
My first labor with DD1 was 14 hours of early labor and 7 hours of active labor, including one hour of pushing.
My second labor with DD2 was 2 and 1/2 hours. I had a day of braxton hicks contractions then one intense real contraction that started labor. I figured at this point that labor would start soon so I called DH to come home from work and called my midwife to give her the heads up. 30 minutes later when DH got home, I was already pretty far into labor but I didn't really realize it. But DH did. He was the one who got on the phone to my midwife and doula and told them to come over. Luckily, DD1 was napping when labor started and my dad had arrived in town the night before so he was there to take care of her when she got up. My fore waters broke about 3o minutes before delivery. My body started pushing on its own. I pushed through 3 contractions for a total of 10 minutes. My midwife broke the rest of my waters as DD2 came out. No tearing. Crazy, intense and yes, painful labor. Easy recovery! Great birth!!!

#8 ·
How long did it take for you to realize that you were in labor? Usually w/in 1st 10 mins, tho generally in middle of night, so wake-up and go "it's time!"
Did your contractions just start fast and furious? Usually 5-10 mins apart, but interval closes up fairly quickly over about half an hr.
When did you membranes rupture? Sometimes at the start of labor, once dr did it to get baby to engage better, couple times when it came time to push.
How long did you push? Longest 45 mins (poor baby had a short cord, wrapped around his neck and body, so he was 'turtling' or bungy-ing, so he was hard to get out), shortest 10 mins.

If someone can get to you w/in an hr, you'll probably be fine. JMTC

#9 ·
Both of my labors started the same way. First was 6 hours, 2nd was 4 hours. I woke up to pee, had a contrx, a little bit of bloody show, then by the time I was off the toilet I was having contrx 5 min apart and I couldn't walk or talk through them. With my 2nd labor we had an hour drive to my midwife's house (a a midwifery friendly state) so we hopped in the car and I was 9 with a lip when we got there. It took the next 3 hours for her to find a better position to descend. I fully believe if I had been at home for that one I would not have had the long 2nd stage. I took a bit to settle in.
I'm hoping for 6 hour labor with this one. Four hours was intense.

#10 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by mama2toomany View Post
My first labor was 37 hours of the rough stuff.. hours and hours of pushing.

Second was 14 hours, and 2 pushes.

3rd 4 hours 1 push

4th only had two contractions, they didn't really even hurt, she was born in the caul, no pushes, she just flew out lol.

I knew something was happening, but there wasn't any real pain, I just felt like laying down, then wham, that horrible bottom pain, then there she was. We broke her water after she was born.
I hope my fourth is like yours...mine were 32 hours 17 hours and less then 4 hours so I can only dream my fourth will arrive so swiftly.
As far as the quick labor my 3rd was a cake walk manageable contractions until the last 45 minutes and only pushed for 10 minutes...I think he was like 3 or 4 pushes. He came at 3:46 am so everyone was sleeping. My 2 1/2 yr old woke at 4:30 to his cries. No big deal though she just came and checked him out and went and had breakfast.
As far as membrane rupture all but one burst during pushing...my third showered everyone...lol My first they did AROM, I will never allow that again.

#11 ·
First labour was fairly quick--woke up in the middle of the night with menstrual-cramp contractions. THese lasted a few hours, but stopped when I got up in the morning. We went to the midwife appt, and she checked me and said I was 3-4 cm. Contractions started again around noon and baby was born at 5!

Second labour: woke up around 6, had a few contractions but still sent DH off to work. By 7:30 I knew it was the real thing, and called him home. Baby was born at 9 am. I feel that both labour were very similar in how they progressed--loose stools, menstrual cramp-type ctx, then vomiting immediatly before I felt the urge to push. With the second things just progressed more quickly. I didn't feel like it was out of control or anything, it was a shorter and easier labour and birth. And I felt so good afterwards, not worn out at all.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.