Teeny Tiny Diapers - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-20-2010, 09:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm curious what everyone has together for diapering?

I had some small cotton fitteds put away for this baby and only last week realized they are for 17lbs+... i guess i forgot how tiny newborns are!

Luckily i found a deal locally on unbleached preemie prefolds (12 for $10) so i have those.

I have 1 NB polar babies fleece cover, and 4 small swaddlebees fleece covers (my favorite!)

Then i found someone local on facebook selling a ton of newborn cloth diapers and i'll meet with her tomorrow to swap her some of DD's old clothes shoes and hopefully get a good stash. I'm really excited. She has kissaluvs 0's and some bamboo contours and imsevimse fitteds all really cheap.
I'm excited

It just got me wondering what kind of 'stash' you all have?

I also stocked up on some NB disposables (found some upopened packs at Salvation Army )

Mom to Lizzy born May 2007 & expecting Baby#2 June/July 2010
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2010, 10:58 PM

Awesome! I hope you're able to find some good stuff tomorrow. I've heard Kissaluvs 0s are the cutest thing in the world.

I'm doing newborn disposables (the shame... ) until she fits into the size small Fuzzi Bunz (10 lbs, "they" say). I would like to have gotten NB cloth, but I got sooo many packages of NB disposables at my shower, etc. that I decided to just give in to mainstream America for the first few weeks.

Mommy to a gorgeous little miracle
Old 06-20-2010, 11:07 PM

I got a huge stash of newborn cloth diapers off of craigslist for super cheap when we were TTC. I just couldn't help myself I have two dozen prefolds, a dozen swaddlebees fitteds and a dozen thirsties covers.

I still have ds's diapers that start at size small (I used disposables the first few weeks)...plus I added some wool covers and some snug to fit fitteds to that original stash since it was just basic prefolds and bummis covers.

Enjoying life with DH since 05/04 and our two boys Oliver 02/07 and Theodore 07/10 

Old 06-20-2010, 11:34 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
For the first few days I use preemie prefolds and newborn covers. I have a few styles of newborn covers to use depending on the size and shape of my baby. In a few weeks I'll switch to size 0 kissaluvs with my favorite pull up wool cover covering their sweet baby belly and legs topped with a t-shirt!

In my experience, even my fat 9lbs babies need preemie diapers for at least the first 4-7 days. Of course I could have an 11lb baby, then I'll be stuck with a huge pile of diapers I can't use. Hopefully this baby just comes out before it gets that big!
Old 06-21-2010, 12:22 AM

I got the GMD newborn starter kit (prefolds, covers and wipes), figured we will start with that, figure out what works for us and go from there.

Paula, mama to DS M (7/2010) sleepytime.gif and Watson (1998) dog2.gif and welcoming baby Penny (8/1/2013) babyf.gif

Old 06-21-2010, 12:26 AM

Most of my nb stash is just prefolds and covers. My kids don't stay newborn size for very long so I didn't spend much on it. I bought a few new covers but most of the other stuff is from my last 2 boys which works out great! Fuzzi bunz, wool and then bummis covers and prefolds.

Aimee Blessed Momma to 4 amazing boys, P ~ 9 H ~ 7 J ~ 4 and B ~ 1.  Happily married to D Living my almost dream life on an urban homestead, hoping for our forever land to find us soon!

Old 06-21-2010, 12:40 AM

I bought a 12 pack of GMD newborn prefolds and five of the GMD workhorse fitted ($4 each) and a 12 pack of small prefolds. I figure I can make those work. I use prefolds all the time so I'll just size up as needed. I did get a few newborn covers (Bummis) and the rest are one size. I also have some wools.

Amy, Army wife living in S. Korea, mama to my inverted t c/s baby 04.05.08 and my VBAC with inverted t baby 07.24.10
Old 06-21-2010, 01:02 AM

I have a bunch of Kissaluvs 0's with various covers--Thirsties, Imse Vimse, and some wool soakers I knit. All leftovers from my other kiddos. I hear the newer Kissaluvs are more absorbant than the older ones I have, though, so I have a tiny bit of diaper envy. But not enough to spend money on new ones.

Wife to a wonderful dh and mom to four beautiful kiddos, dd (3/04):, ds1 (1/06), ds2 (10/08), and ds3 (7/10)
Old 06-21-2010, 05:22 AM

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I finally got my GMD prefolds- a doz. newborn, a doz. smalls, and a 1/2 doz. workhorse fitteds (small), and I went ahead and bought a few extra covers (Bumkins, I think) on sale. I have 2-3 wool ones I made (butt sweaters & crochet), a SWW, and a few others I either made or bought cheap. I also have several fitteds I made that I hope will fit this NB.

Then I go to some OS, and a ton of mediums left from DS, and hopefully I'll have enough there. But I have a whole plastic tub full of consignment wool sweaters to make into covers if I need, not to mention yards of flannel and a bunch of old T-shirts of DH's (he's lost 150lbs recently) and towels for some more fitteds when I determine what sizes I'll need. I will probably use the towels we use at birth for this purpose as well- "reduce, reuse, recycle" my son says, lol!!

Wife to since '98; Homeschooling, just completed my doctorate & becoming crunchier by the day; Mom to DSs: 06/10,12/05, & 1/99 & 1 on the way (3/15)
Old 06-21-2010, 06:39 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Yaliina, you rock in applying the 3 R's!

I have a batch of prefolds my SIL gave me 5 yrs ago and some one-size covers all snapped at velcroed to the smallest setting for the NB stage. I have not CD a NB before, so it will be interesting to see what happens. I also have inserts for the covers but am planning to just do whatever is the easiest and quickest while still being useful.

No snappis or pins here - I got some cheapie cloth hairbands to use for baby's waist.

wash.gif  Me  + bikenew.gif Dh =  broc1.gif  Dd1(9 yrs) + hearts.gif  Dd2(6 yrs) and blowkiss.gif Ds(3.5 yrs)
Old 06-21-2010, 06:58 AM

I have a random assortment that I've picked up throughout my pregnancy when I found them cheap enough.
12 KL0s, various Thirsties covers, some Thirsties AIOs (the only new dipes of the lot, found them on Green Baby Bargains), 12ish NB prefolds, wool shorties and soakers (2 that a friend made for us, and they are adorable!), Swaddlebees (at least 1 fitted & something else... I think a pocket), several random pockets, and i think that's it!

I have a friend who was going to lend me her NB dipes, but I think another friend is still using them. Not that I really need them now, I think I should have enough. I also have a huge sack of various size smalls. We definitely don't need any more diapers for awhile!
Posted via Mobile Device

Weirdo Mama to amazing Aurelia, age 9 & Ember Roslyn, age 3!
Old 06-21-2010, 09:42 AM

DS was a preemie so I have a pretty good stash of NB prefolds and covers, once baby outgrows these I will use them as inserts for nighttime. I ordered small bummis whisper wraps on clearance and some more s/m prefolds. I'm debating whether or not to bring my cds to the hospital or just use the disposables while we are there. I just don't know how comfortable I feel with those chemicals touching my newborns bum.
Old 06-21-2010, 02:21 PM

I had the hardest time deciding what to start out with, but in the end I kept it pretty simple. I'm planning to EC as well - I hope I didn't go overboard!

Newborn:
12 OsoCozy Flats
18 Diaper-Rite Prefolds, size Newborn
1 Mother-Ease Sandy's fitted, size XS
1 Kissaluv's 2.0 fitted, size 0
1 LiteWrap Cover, size NB
1 Imse Vimse Organic cover, size NB
1 Bummis Whisper Wrap Cover, size NB
4 hand-knit wool soakers (used the Curly Purly pattern)
1 hand-knit wool longies (Curly Purly pattern for the waist with the Pimp My Longies pattern gusset)

As baby grows out of the NB prefolds and fitteds, we also have:
18 Diaper-Rite Prefolds, size Small
6 Diaper-Rite Prefolds, size Medium
6 Mother-Ease OneSize
2 Mother-Ease AirFlo Covers
...and I've knit 3 larger wool soakers so far. I definitely plan to make more once I finish a few newborn-sized projects!

We also have a bundle of snappis, pins, homemade wipes, and liners.

I can't wait to use this stuff!!!

Mama to A (08/10) & E (03/13).
Old 06-21-2010, 04:08 PM
MJB

I have 10 size 1 Thirsties Duo Wraps, 24 Flip Stay-Dry inserts and 6 infant prefolds. That should get us to 18 lbs. and then we'll need the next size of covers. I still need to get a couple wet bags for the diaper bag and maybe some more wipes. But I'm only 34 weeks so there's still time, right?
Old 06-21-2010, 05:22 PM

This is my third babe and first time really CDing. We tried some prefolds with sized covers and some MotherEase when my oldest (he's 7) was a babe...but I wasn't feeling it. This time I think I'm feelling it.

We are going to use disposable at first and then part time CD and work our way up to full time...may still use sposies at night. I didn't want to spend a lot and then decide it wasn't for us. So I bought 12 OS FuzziBunz with the inserts and then I think to build up the stash later I'll check on Diaperswappers for some more. I got them prepping in the wash right now. I was so terrified I'll wash them wrong. I stressed over the detergent in the store aisle forever this afternoon, sure my husband was going to kill me. I just went with a brand free and clear and OxyClean soak. <shrug>

homeschooling, breastfeeding, cosleeping mama to ds1(7), ds2(3) and dd(3 months)
Old 06-22-2010, 08:00 PM - Thread Starter

I got so much stuff yesterday! I swapped a few pairs of DD"s outgrown shoes and about a grocery bag full of clothes + $24 and got:

6 unbleached KL0
1 imsevimse NB fitted
random locally made NB velour fitted
approx 20 assorted doublers
6 NB/small Bebe Amour AI2
10 HipBaby One size cotton/bamboo fitted

Mom to Lizzy born May 2007 & expecting Baby#2 June/July 2010
Old 06-22-2010, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terra-pip View Post
So I bought 12 OS FuzziBunz with the inserts and then I think to build up the stash later I'll check on Diaperswappers for some more. I got them prepping in the wash right now. I was so terrified I'll wash them wrong. I stressed over the detergent in the store aisle forever this afternoon, sure my husband was going to kill me. I just went with a brand free and clear and OxyClean soak. <shrug>
I think it sounds like your detergent plan is just right! At least from what I've read. I'm planning to wash my FBs the same way.

Mommy to a gorgeous little miracle
Old 06-23-2010, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nervousnelle View Post
I think it sounds like your detergent plan is just right! At least from what I've read. I'm planning to wash my FBs the same way.
Of course they came out all white and clean!!!
The real test is when there's poo and pee to clean up!!! lol.

homeschooling, breastfeeding, cosleeping mama to ds1(7), ds2(3) and dd(3 months)

User Tag List