VBAC mamas - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-22-2010, 09:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
For those of you having your primary VBAC, how are you doing?

For those of you who are having your 2nd+ VBAC, got any words of wisdom for us first timers? Do you feel differently going into this VBAC as opposed to your first one?

I'm planning an HBAC and it's my first. I feel really good about my birth team and the prep I've done to get ready. I am a little nervous but less so than I was as a first time mom preparing for labor. Mostly I'm just grateful for the chance to VBAC because my set of circumstances almost kept that from happening.

Good luck to you all! I'm sending lots of easy labor and successful VBAC vibes to everyone

Amy, Army wife living in S. Korea, mama to my inverted t c/s baby 04.05.08 and my VBAC with inverted t baby 07.24.10
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2010, 09:29 PM

Amy, I am a first timer too! I am hospital VBACng with a Dr who is very supportive of normal birth. He is our local HB back-up Dr and has a ton of faith in a woman's body. He is pretty freakin' awesome! He had me at "I think a woman should be able to birth in the place and manner in which she chooses."

I am due 7/12 and feel soooo good still, I think it will be into July before we meet our little girl.

I did buy EPO today, I thought I would start it orally for a week. I also got alfalfa capsules because I am a bit of a bleeder and heard this might help. I have been lacking on my RRL tea but will out some out to brew as sun tea now.

I saw my Dr yesterday and have stopped gaining weight. My first was good sized and posterior and I could not push him out after an induction for pih.

~Heather, loving my DH and DS with my whole heart. Our newest addition DD July '10
Old 06-22-2010, 10:58 PM

I'm planning a VBAC this time around too.

I'm still working but starting to feel a bit rough, - being plagued with painful BHs. I'm glad my office has a door on it as what I was cursing under my breath at work wasn't exactly workplace appropriate. I personally wouldn't be surprised if this babe shows up in the next 10 days or so just from the amount of lower back pain and cramping I've been having. This LO is apparently 2/3 the way into my pelvis right now, I don't think I'll do any cervical checks until I'm past my EDD.
Old 06-23-2010, 01:33 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Not a VBAC-er, just wanting to lend my support and encouragement.

wash.gif  Me  + bikenew.gif Dh =  broc1.gif  Dd1(9 yrs) + hearts.gif  Dd2(6 yrs) and blowkiss.gif Ds(3.5 yrs)
Old 06-23-2010, 02:17 AM

We're planning an an HBAC and I am so excited! I am feeling very confidant and well supported. I know my body can do this! I guess the only thing I am a little nervous about is learning how to push. DD was posterior and I pushed for 3 hours but I was almost completely numb. I think it will just mean I have to trust and be patient with my body! I can't wait to actually get to hold my baby (and hopefully even "catch" her) and share that special time with DH.

Becky- Wife to DH, Mama to "Nani" (July '08) "Coco" (July '10) and expecting one very wiggly baby boy in May 2013!

Old 06-23-2010, 02:38 AM - Thread Starter

You ladies with the prior OP babes nailed why I'm a little nervous this time. I had a face first last time so I worry a little about malpositioning. I've done the work to help correct any problems (chiro, myofascial release, posturing, OFP) so I guess the rest is up to baby. I did request a really good mw to join the birth team with my OB since she has more experience in resolving malpositionings and that has me feeling a lot better about it. Otherwise, I'm ready! I do wonder what it will feel like. My first labor was very long but not very painful.

CoBabyMaker, I think you will find that you will know exactly how to push. You won't have to learn since you are doing this at home. It's going to be a lot different this time. You can do it!!!

Oddduck: hang in there!

Hapi2help: Yay for a great doc! It makes such a difference to have that kind of support. I am HBACing with an OB (and a mw and nurse)

Surfacing, thank you

Amy, Army wife living in S. Korea, mama to my inverted t c/s baby 04.05.08 and my VBAC with inverted t baby 07.24.10
Old 06-23-2010, 07:46 AM

I am hoping for a second successful VBAC - had one with my daughter in 2007 and the entire labor, from water breaking to holding her, was 5 hours, even with a posterior baby who came out face up. Can't stop wondering how this one will go, but I sure do know that my body can do this and that it is the absolute best thing for me and for baby. The most important thing is a midwife/team of support people who believe in VBAC and are not watching clocks! Good luck!! My 1st VBAC empowered and healed me so incredibly much - what ana amazing experience! Can't wait to do it again!!
Old 06-25-2010, 12:15 AM

I am getting ready for my first HBAC, my son was born by c-section in Japan. Premature rupture of membranes (at 38 weeks)eventually followed by a failed induction, then infection, so I am taking a 2 week regime of vitamins now to help strengthen the amniotic sac. Hoping to get to 40 weeks or more! Still have lots to do, just started painting my kitchen last night! My sister will arrive on July 6th to help out for the birth so I definitely don't want to have the baby before that! I can't believe it will happen so soon. I just started getting BH's this week and last night they woke me up, very hard, basket ball like belly. Hope everyone is feeling good! I feel huge and get tired/cranky easily but am not fed up with being pregnant yet.

Canadian mom of Myron born in Japan, March 2007. Our second son born at home, wonderful HBAC in July 2010. I am a jeweller, I love creating things!

1***5****10****15****20****25****30****35**coolshine.gif*40****45, Due June 10th, 2014

Old 06-25-2010, 12:33 AM

Thought I'd chime in - this is my third hbac and is definately easier going into then the first time. My babies have been posterior and I found getting into a near squatting position was the easiest to push baby out. My midwife was great and had lots of experience with vbacs and we probably talked through fears, questions, etc. about an hour each visit. That really helped me get to the right frame of mind. I also worried about the pushing phase as ds was a csec due to face presentation/distress and I was at 10 trying to get him to turn/move. Never felt the urge to push with him and after an hour at 10 cm he kept getting worse (also thick meconium and low heartrate).
Sooo it helped to know that my body could labor and when it was time to push the midwife helped me recognize the difference between my sounds of involuntary pushing - yes I needed that pointed out! It took about an hour that time trying all kinds of positions. As soon as I did the semi-squat/sit baby was out in 2 pushes. Next baby as soon as I felt the urge to push I immediately sat up into a squat in the pool and baby was out within minutes of pushing - also posterior baby.

That first hbac is sooo healing - amazing experience to hold baby after birth rather than laying in surgery!! Feels like you can do anything after that and restored confidence. I wish you ladies the best and a "You Can Do It!!!"
Old 06-25-2010, 02:41 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlse View Post
Thought I'd chime in - this is my third hbac and is definately easier going into then the first time. My babies have been posterior and I found getting into a near squatting position was the easiest to push baby out. My midwife was great and had lots of experience with vbacs and we probably talked through fears, questions, etc. about an hour each visit. That really helped me get to the right frame of mind. I also worried about the pushing phase as ds was a csec due to face presentation/distress and I was at 10 trying to get him to turn/move. Never felt the urge to push with him and after an hour at 10 cm he kept getting worse (also thick meconium and low heartrate).
Sooo it helped to know that my body could labor and when it was time to push the midwife helped me recognize the difference between my sounds of involuntary pushing - yes I needed that pointed out! It took about an hour that time trying all kinds of positions. As soon as I did the semi-squat/sit baby was out in 2 pushes. Next baby as soon as I felt the urge to push I immediately sat up into a squat in the pool and baby was out within minutes of pushing - also posterior baby.

That first hbac is sooo healing - amazing experience to hold baby after birth rather than laying in surgery!! Feels like you can do anything after that and restored confidence. I wish you ladies the best and a "You Can Do It!!!"

THANK YOU for that! My c/s was also due to a face presentation and fetal distress. I stalled at 7cm for 14 hours with thick mec and once baby's heart rate dropped to the 60's with slow recovery, it was off to the OR. Good to hear that your subsequent labors were so much easier, that makes me feel hopeful, especially since this baby is favoring OP as well.

User Tag List