I can feel baby breathing! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 06-26-2010, 08:58 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
As impossible as this sounds, I really think this is what I'm feeling. You know how they practice breathing in amniotic fluid duiring the last couple of months? Just this past week I've been able to feel it a couple of times. It's usually when I'm sitting with my legs up close to my belly, which makes belly and babe a little bit squished. If I look closely, I can even see it. Just a slight rise and fall, just like my belly's breathing, only faster than my breathing and much slower than a heartbeat. I was also able to feel the pulsing of the placenta (anterior for me) earlier on.

Anyone else feel this? It's so cool when it happens, almost like babe's on the outside.

Marja: consensual-living, unschooling, piano-teaching, doula and mom to 3 creative, independent people:
DD, 8, DS, 6, and Baby DS born July 1, 2010 Married to DH for 10 years!
#2 of 16 Old 06-26-2010, 10:41 AM

I asked my midwife about this last week at my last visit, and she said that yes, that is most likely what that is. She also told me that that is a really good sign because if I were to have a biophysical profile done that is one of the key things they check for on ultrasound.

Yay for growing/maturing babies!!

Mommy to sweet baby Rhys born 7/15
#3 of 16 Old 06-26-2010, 11:00 AM

I wonder if that's what I felt yesterday? The baby was moving rhythimically, almost heartbeat-like, for a while while I was hanging out on the couch yesterday. It just seemed wierd, you know? Not the usual punches and kicks and stretching.

hide.gif Me 41, single mom to modifiedartist.gifdd 4/2001 and demon.gif ds 7/17/2010

#4 of 16 Old 06-26-2010, 11:27 AM

So that is what that feeling is....I didn't know that they did 'practice breathing,' but that is exactly what it feels like.
#5 of 16 Old 06-26-2010, 11:47 AM

I've been able to see baby breathing too. It's so neat to watch!

Aimee Blessed Momma to 4 amazing boys, P ~ 9 H ~ 7 J ~ 4 and B ~ 1.  Happily married to D Living my almost dream life on an urban homestead, hoping for our forever land to find us soon!

#6 of 16 Old 06-26-2010, 11:54 AM

I've felt the same thing a few times in the last week. It is so cool! This is my 5th pregnancy and I have never felt/seen that before.

Sky, mama to dd 10/00, dd 3/02, ds 7/04, dd 3/07, ds 7/10, stork-girl.gif11/12 & married 11 yrs

#7 of 16 Old 06-26-2010, 12:33 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hmmm never noticed that. Interesting!

wash.gif  Me  + bikenew.gif Dh =  broc1.gif  Dd1(9 yrs) + hearts.gif  Dd2(6 yrs) and blowkiss.gif Ds(3.5 yrs)
#8 of 16 Old 06-26-2010, 12:50 PM

Yes, felt that here too. It's like a rapid pulsing of the baby's body! So how are they actually practice breathing? Are they sucking in amniotic fluid real quickly?

JENNY, 38~ preschool teacher, birth activist, sun worshiper, singer, married for 17 years and mom to

Karan 15, Fiona 12, Bodhi 10, Bjorn 6, Devon 3, and Robin Taylor born January 16th!

#9 of 16 Old 06-26-2010, 01:32 PM

I've been seeing and feeling it too.. So neat that he's practicing for the outside world. Now he just need to come out!
#10 of 16 Old 06-26-2010, 01:48 PM

Three kids and I never noticed this...but I do notice a pulsating "pushing" as well as hiccups sometimes. I just assumed it was babe being squished and just trying to wiggle around. hmmm?

homeschooling, breastfeeding, cosleeping mama to ds1(7), ds2(3) and dd(3 months)
#11 of 16 Old 06-27-2010, 08:52 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mataji4 View Post
So how are they actually practice breathing? Are they sucking in amniotic fluid real quickly?
I think that's exactly what they do. Just like breathing but amniotic fluid instead of air!

Marja: consensual-living, unschooling, piano-teaching, doula and mom to 3 creative, independent people:
DD, 8, DS, 6, and Baby DS born July 1, 2010 Married to DH for 10 years!
#12 of 16 Old 06-27-2010, 12:02 PM

Now that there's been this discussion I have been paying attention and putting my hands on babe and trying to see if I feel "breathing". Well yes... but I always just attributed it to baby making little squirmies or something. Interesting.

wash.gif  Me  + bikenew.gif Dh =  broc1.gif  Dd1(9 yrs) + hearts.gif  Dd2(6 yrs) and blowkiss.gif Ds(3.5 yrs)
#13 of 16 Old 06-27-2010, 02:05 PM

Yes, i have for about a month. I never had it with DD, it's neat! It's a very specific and different feeling, definitely like having your hand on a newborn's belly, but inside your own belly! Loads of hiccups too... which i now feel in my perineum... very odd sensation LOL

Mom to Lizzy born May 2007 & expecting Baby#2 June/July 2010
#14 of 16 Old 06-27-2010, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by megviolet View Post
Loads of hiccups too... which i now feel in my perineum... very odd sensation LOL

#15 of 16 Old 06-27-2010, 10:41 PM

I just experienced this ..this morning and was alittle freaked that something was wrong because I was certain it was baby breathing wow this is so cool

Shelly, Mom to Sophia 5 Nicholas 3 & 2 Angels
Its a GIRL! Alyssa Ann 6/29/10 7lbs 5 oz
#16 of 16 Old 06-28-2010, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrilein View Post
I wonder if that's what I felt yesterday? The baby was moving rhythimically, almost heartbeat-like, for a while while I was hanging out on the couch yesterday. It just seemed wierd, you know? Not the usual punches and kicks and stretching.
Hmm...I had this same experience a couple weeks ago. It freaked me out because it wasn't the usual random squirming/kicking. It was rhythmic moving, kind of strong movements. Felt almost like she was having a fit or something? I hope it was just this breathing thing!

caffix.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page