Prodromal stuff and waiting for labour thread - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 193 Old 07-02-2010, 03:28 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
oh, bjorker! Good luck, mama!!!!

hide.gif Me 41, single mom to modifiedartist.gifdd 4/2001 and demon.gif ds 7/17/2010

#62 of 193 Old 07-02-2010, 03:46 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Yey Bjorker!!! Wishing you a smooth and easy labour!!!

Me dreads.gif 32, loving him fuzmalesling.gif33, more each day. Rad boy, jog.gif 7/12/10 & Cool gal baby.gif  4/28/13

I'm a biracial, atheist, humanist, pacifist, anarchist, bibliophile, and educator. Rainbow.gifgd.gifwinner.jpgnocirc.gif

#63 of 193 Old 07-02-2010, 03:50 PM

*sigh*

Today is the EDD, been having the usual prodromal labor, a little back aching but not sure I stood still in the kitchen today for like 5 minutes because I couldn't tell if I was actually starting to have back cramps (which signaled the beginning of labor for my 1st) or I was delusional because I am so ready to have the baby LOL. Saw the MW yesterday, she assumes because baby is pretty engaged in my pelvis and along with all the irregular contractions that she wouldn't be surprised if I have the baby before my next appt next wed. I am hoping she is right. No internal check yet though, I figure it won't do anything but make me more anxious if I am so many cms dilated.

DD 1 came one week before her EDD on April Fools Day ...... maybe this one will come the 4th of July ........

Mama to Ella & Elisa, Wife to James
#64 of 193 Old 07-02-2010, 04:34 PM - Thread Starter

Go Bjorker !! Hoping this is it for you, best wishes

AmyKT are you hurt? Have a warm bath and relax as soon as you get the chance.

Ottbabies your time will come! EDD's mean practically nothing anyway

Expat mama i'm similar, i was feeling really close and now things have slowed down. Sending you lots of strength to deal with your docs wanting to induce. I've been down that road... you don't need it, you'll have your baby soon

My last midwife appointment, baby's head is higher than it has been all month Very uncool.
I'm binding my belly to tighten it up... i'm carrying so far forward and out that i need to tuck it all back in so baby gets stuck down there again. It explains why stuff has slowed down for me.... which i'm ok with since i've been expecting to be overdue anyway (i'm 40+3 now)

I'm not in a hurry for pregnancy to be over, but i'm longing to hold my baby and see it's little face- and find out if i'll be having another daughter or if it's a boy!

If need be, i'll go to 41.5wk by my MW's dates... that would be the 12th, and then maybe try the cocktail they make up... i think it's blue cohash, some oils, some verbena or something....

What day does it switch to the next Zodiac sign? What comes after Cancer?

Mom to Lizzy born May 2007 & expecting Baby#2 June/July 2010
#65 of 193 Old 07-02-2010, 04:43 PM

Good luck bjorker!

Paula, mama to DS M (7/2010) sleepytime.gif and Watson (1998) dog2.gif and welcoming baby Penny (8/1/2013) babyf.gif

#66 of 193 Old 07-02-2010, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by megviolet View Post

I'm not in a hurry for pregnancy to be over, but i'm longing to hold my baby and see it's little face- and find out if i'll be having another daughter or if it's a boy!

If need be, i'll go to 41.5wk by my MW's dates... that would be the 12th, and then maybe try the cocktail they make up... i think it's blue cohash, some oils, some verbena or something....

What day does it switch to the next Zodiac sign? What comes after Cancer?
oooh, you're so cool, calm, and collected! That's some mama zen. The next sign is Leo and it starts around the 22nd, so you're sure to have a sweet, sensitive Cancer.

I'm doing ok after my fall. Thanks for asking Came home early and have my feet up.

Amy (34): mommy to DD1 (11/07) and DD2 (7/10), wife, wohm, and wannabe suburban homesteader.
#67 of 193 Old 07-02-2010, 04:45 PM

amy~ take care of yourself. I second the bath idea.

meg~ I thought the 23rd was leo starting, but I'm not sure. I think I'll go before then anyways. another little sensitive cancer for me!
#68 of 193 Old 07-03-2010, 11:34 AM

Another Cancer for me too

My nearly 3 year old is a sensitive sweet Cancer..and my Husband and 7 year old are old soul Capricorns. I'm an Aquarius...so who knows how I deal wih it all?!

I wishing for no baby this weekend...my MW will be out of town today and tomorrow. I'm having a lot of cramps. So keep fingers crossed that someone else has a 4th baby...not me!

homeschooling, breastfeeding, cosleeping mama to ds1(7), ds2(3) and dd(3 months)
#69 of 193 Old 07-03-2010, 11:56 AM

Well I'm a Gemini, DH is on the cusp Gemini/Cancer but really he's a home-loving Cancerian. DS is a Leo and baby will be a Cancerian like her Father....
I wonder if our family will end up with Mummy and DS always out and sociable and Daddy and DD begging to stay home in the family cave!!!!

Emma - Welsh Wife to DH and Mummy to DS, Lloyd 13/08/07 and Cerys 15/07/10
Living in Russia
#70 of 193 Old 07-03-2010, 12:27 PM

terra: i'll take that fourth baby!! it was my grandma's birthday, and i would love for this little one to have that connection with her! and since this one has to be a hospital birth, hopefully everyone will keep their babies in, in lieu of picnics and family barbecues!

can't really say there has been any progress over here with the prodromal stuff. i never would have imagined that these contractions could be so intense and so regular without making any progress. i've been spending as much time as i can on my hands and knees, and the birthing ball is my steady companion, but here we are... contrax that every week top the charts on my nst's, but i check myself, and my cervix is high and closed up tight. interesting to me, cuz this is baby number four, and i thought for sure i'd be dilating early this time around.

this little (huge!) peanut seems to taunt me though. for a while she is really low, and seems to be engaged~ lots of low pressure~ and then she is up and floating free. i'm beginning to wonder about the possibilities, since i am measuring very big (i was measuring 46 weeks at 37 weeks gestation)

sigh. where's the crystal ball when i need it?
#71 of 193 Old 07-03-2010, 06:11 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Amy that's scary about falling down the stairs at work

To everybody - lost large globs of mucous plug today, having some cramps and BH. Again. Now stop teasing me!!!

wash.gif  Me  + bikenew.gif Dh =  broc1.gif  Dd1(9 yrs) + hearts.gif  Dd2(6 yrs) and blowkiss.gif Ds(3.5 yrs)
#72 of 193 Old 07-03-2010, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfacing View Post

To everybody - lost large globs of mucous plug today, having some cramps and BH. Again. Now stop teasing me!!!
Oh, how frustrating! When I lost my mucus plug with my first, that was it! The real thing. I'll be so annoyed if I can't rely on that this time.

I've got super wicked cramps tonight so I busted out the TENS machine I got for sciatica but have barely used because the sciatica went away. I also thought I'd use it during labor, so I'm testing it out now. It does give me some relief, but it also makes the baby go crazy, so I'm a little worried about inducing labor at 36 weeks. Yeah, right. I'll be laughing at that when I've got it cranked up to the max at 41 weeks, won't I?

Amy (34): mommy to DD1 (11/07) and DD2 (7/10), wife, wohm, and wannabe suburban homesteader.
#73 of 193 Old 07-03-2010, 09:26 PM - Thread Starter

I'm an Aquarius, DD is a Gemini, DH is a Cancer. Another Cancer will fit in well i think... a few of my good friends are Cancer so we seem to mesh well i guess

I worked hard last night to position the baby's head back in to my pelvis and get some good contact on my cervix again. SO lots of pain again... a good thing really! I woke up gasping in pain last night from cervical stabbing feelings since i slept propped up trying to lock that bay down there LOL. Then i had deep low cramps all day and morning, did a massive grocery shopping today and other errands, a few contrax were pretty painful but i was still able to walk through them.
Anyway, hopefully made some progress. I'm going to be diligent about being in positions that cause me the most discomfort, hoping that will do what needs doing to my cervix (it's super high, posterior, and all mushy... i can't reach to check for dilation at all)

#74 of 193 Old 07-04-2010, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyKT View Post
It does give me some relief, but it also makes the baby go crazy, so I'm a little worried about inducing labor at 36 weeks. Yeah, right. I'll be laughing at that when I've got it cranked up to the max at 41 weeks, won't I?

Megviolet - so interesting that you are experiencing this with your second child. Your description of what you're doing reminds me of something we learned in doula training about women who have a "pendulous abdomen", usually after having several children. Just curious about whether your MW or doula or somebody made the connection between baby's position, your cervix, and all of that.

wash.gif  Me  + bikenew.gif Dh =  broc1.gif  Dd1(9 yrs) + hearts.gif  Dd2(6 yrs) and blowkiss.gif Ds(3.5 yrs)
#75 of 193 Old 07-04-2010, 12:17 AM

what's a tens machine?
#76 of 193 Old 07-04-2010, 12:49 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Megviolet - so interesting that you are experiencing this with your second child. Your description of what you're doing reminds me of something we learned in doula training about women who have a "pendulous abdomen", usually after having several children. Just curious about whether your MW or doula or somebody made the connection between baby's position, your cervix, and all of that.
It's a lot like that, i'm carrying so straight out in front that the bottom of my belly is a sharp shelf level with the top of my pubic bone. I don't look pregnant from behind, my waist still curves right inward- but i am ridiculous from the side! So almost the same as the pendulous, except it isn't actually hanging/overlap, it's just... outward. lol

I think i brought the baby back out when i was attempting to turn it a solid anterior, and then several times i thought i could feel the head sliding on the top of my pubic bone. If i'm upright and leaning backwards a bit i get better pressure on my cervix, and i kept leaning forward trying for optimal positioning...

I told my MW about the sliding feeling, and about my cervical position/changes as noted by me, and also that the stabbing feeling and contrax had lessened. She felt and said the baby's head was higher than it had been, and recommended the binding to reduce that shelf and force baby down again.

#77 of 193 Old 07-04-2010, 02:08 AM

IDK if this is anything but I'm feeling loads of cramping and pressure tonight. 4th of July isn't my best choice of days BUT....if that's when baby wants to come...so be it. We shall see if this turns into anything. Glad I put new fresh water in our hot tub today!!

Aimee Blessed Momma to 4 amazing boys, P ~ 9 H ~ 7 J ~ 4 and B ~ 1.  Happily married to D Living my almost dream life on an urban homestead, hoping for our forever land to find us soon!

#78 of 193 Old 07-04-2010, 02:20 AM

sounds like things are happening, Momma2DoubleCuties Good luck!
#79 of 193 Old 07-04-2010, 05:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by megviolet View Post
It's a lot like that, i'm carrying so straight out in front that the bottom of my belly is a sharp shelf level with the top of my pubic bone. I don't look pregnant from behind, my waist still curves right inward- but i am ridiculous from the side! So almost the same as the pendulous, except it isn't actually hanging/overlap, it's just... outward. lol
This is me, too! Makes it difficult to say if the baby has dropped or not because everything just stays out front with really no place to go. I've got lots of cramping and poking feelings since yesterday. I want this baby out this week since our ped leaves on vacation the week after and he does house visits. Don't know what the other peds, who are subbing for him, are like. However, since yesterday the thought of the baby coming like NOW makes me really nervous.

hide.gif Me 41, single mom to modifiedartist.gifdd 4/2001 and demon.gif ds 7/17/2010

#80 of 193 Old 07-04-2010, 12:23 PM

I had hours of cramping last night that was pretty painful, all lower ab stuff. Then when I went to bed it turned into back aches wrapping around to the front and irregular contractions. I've had a definite increase in mucus loss but no bloody show yet. I told DH that we HAVE to get everything ready TODAY because I've never had that much activity without labor following pretty quickly.

...that way it'll take three more weeks....sigh......

GOOD moms let their kids lick the beaters. GREAT moms turn off the mixer first!
Humanist Woman Wife , & Friend Plus Mama to 6 (3 mos, 2, 9, 13, 17, 20)
#81 of 193 Old 07-04-2010, 10:27 PM

I'm tired of all this prodomal stuff... I never had it with ds - I was induced at 42.5 weeks with him. Now, I just never know - I wake up with BH and cramping, thinking maybe this is the day, and it's not. In the evening I have lots of BH, many that are consistent and only 5 minutes apart, go to bed hoping to wake later, only to have them go away.. I liked it at first when I thought it meant something, but now it's just annoying me. It's a tease. I'm still 5 days from EDD, but I am dying to hold her and cuddle her and get on with it!!!

Oh - and ds is a Cancer, though on the Gemini cusp - and definitely has both qualities, though is usually sweet and loves to stay home and chill, which has made me appreciate it more as well! He is very family-oriented, which I love as well! However, his reading and writing skills are very Gemini, and he definitely shows signs of being a perfectionist, which can be hard to handle. I'm glad to be having another Cancer, and not one on the Gemini cusp!!!

Erika, mama to Sawyer 6/04 joy.gifand Gracie 7/10energy.gif  :, dw Amy:

treehugger.gifsaynovax.gifbfinfant.giffamilybed2.gifRainbow.gif

#82 of 193 Old 07-05-2010, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majazama View Post
what's a tens machine?
A TENS machine or TENS unit (Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulation), is a machine that transmits electrical currents through sticky pads that you can attach to your body where you're having pain. It doesn't really do anything to stop what is causing the pain, but it blocks the pain signals from your brain by stimulating endorphins. It is used by physical therapists and chiropractors, and it is also sometimes used in labor. I got my portable unit through my insurance to help with sciatica, but my midwife said I could use it to help with labor pain, as well. It's a little scary to think of sending an electrical jolt through your body while pregnant, but it's supposed to be perfectly safe. iIm not sure the baby really digs it, though. Or maybe she just gets an endorphin high.

The best spots to attach the electrodes for labor pains are right below your bra strap and on either side of the sacrum. I can control the frequency and intensity of the electrical current.

Another thing I found to help with prodromal back crampiness is to have DD ride on my back. It happened completely by accident -- I was on all fours trying to get some relief and she thought I was playing horsey. The counter-pressure was actually nice.

#83 of 193 Old 07-05-2010, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyKT View Post
Another thing I found to help with prodromal back crampiness is to have DD ride on my back. It happened completely by accident -- I was on all fours trying to get some relief and she thought I was playing horsey. The counter-pressure was actually nice.

#84 of 193 Old 07-05-2010, 05:33 PM

Very tired of all these BH's not amounting to anything. My EDD was July 2nd and I was hoping that my last prenatal appt would be my last but with nothing happening I feel like I will be at my next one this Thursday. *sigh*

Just more BH's again today. nothing consistent. no back cramping which is what I had a lot of in my labor with DD1. I have been trying to keep myself preoccupied and busy but you can only clean the house so many times hahahaha.

Mama to Ella & Elisa, Wife to James
#85 of 193 Old 07-06-2010, 12:36 AM - Thread Starter

Very crampy this evening, right into my legs and especially my back .Major pressure too, especially when i sit on the toilet- it feels like the baby is going to bust right through LOL. Contractions down low non stop for about 4 hours now.... not terribly painful, i've been keeping busy through them... but seem pretty regular (haven't been timing them).

I worked hard today, cleaning, gardening, cooking, and i'm on day 4 of the baby being in a good position and giving me tons of those awful sharp cervical pains.

Several painful contrax woke me up in the night last night and i dreamed that my water broke.

I'm 40+6 today! i really doubt i'm actually going to have a baby in the next 2-3 days but stuff is happening

MW appointment on wednesday afternoon.... i have a feeling i'll have to go to it but it would be great if baby comes before then it's kind of a far drive.

#86 of 193 Old 07-06-2010, 05:04 AM

[QUOTE=AmyKT;15589467]A TENS machine or TENS unit (Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulation), is a machine that transmits electrical currents through sticky pads that you can attach to your body where you're having pain. .
QUOTE]

TENS is one of the most popular methods of (early stage) pain relief for labouring Mamas in the UK. All the maternity units in hospitals have them.

I bought my own when I was in the US having DS but he came so quickly, I didn't have early labour and it stayed in my bag!

Emma - Welsh Wife to DH and Mummy to DS, Lloyd 13/08/07 and Cerys 15/07/10
Living in Russia
#87 of 193 Old 07-06-2010, 10:11 AM

Really thought maybe today would be the day. Woke up at 1:30 am with major cramping, then again at 4:30 with the same thing. Back to sleep, woke at 8:00, and NOTHING!!! So frustrating...
Is is possible that it will just be all of a sudden, with no warning? My water will just break when I get up to make lunch, or wash the dishes, and that will be that???? That would be a dream come true! (as long as dw makes it home from work in time!!!)

Erika, mama to Sawyer 6/04 joy.gifand Gracie 7/10energy.gif  :, dw Amy:

treehugger.gifsaynovax.gifbfinfant.giffamilybed2.gifRainbow.gif

#88 of 193 Old 07-06-2010, 10:32 AM

I'm definitely not in prodromal land, but am frustrated at how many more "symptoms" of late pregnancy that I am aware of than I was with DD! With DD, I had some menstrual-style cramping and felt very soft & mushy, just sort of an overall feeling, starting about 7 hours before my first contraction.

This time, I've been having that same lower-abdominal cramping on and off for weeks! Plus muscle aches, lower back aches, heavy pressure way down low...often when I go out for a walk, i feel like I'm about to drop a babe!

Haven't had any internal checks, and don't plan to unless/until things go over. And even then, well, we'll see. Sigh.

Started taking EPO capsules, orally not internal. I'll ask about internal @ my app't tomorrow.
#89 of 193 Old 07-06-2010, 01:33 PM

megviolet - things sound promising....

welsh - about the TENS being super popular in the UK for early labour - so interesting. I have had TENS used on me lots of times by my previous chiropractor and simply didn't enjoy the feeling AT ALL.

#90 of 193 Old 07-06-2010, 02:00 PM

Quote:

welsh - about the TENS being super popular in the UK for early labour - so interesting. I have had TENS used on me lots of times by my previous chiropractor and simply didn't enjoy the feeling AT ALL.
I didn't like it at the chiro, either, but I used it again for back cramps last night (baby didn't mind as much), and it felt great! I just can't turn it up very high.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page