Mothering Forum banner

Getting checked (or not) at 40 weeks

702 views 8 replies 9 participants last post by  Surfacing 
#1 ·
So yesterday was my due date and tomorrow I have to go and see my new midwives (VBAC ban) for my 40 week appointment, at which they do a biophysical profile and they also said that they check you. I don't want to be checked, as I don't think it will serve any purpose, and I am just wondering what some of you in this situation have done or would do. I know they cannot make me get checked, but each of the midwives has made a point of saying that this is what they do after your due date passes...I just don't see the point. I wouldn't mind if I showed up there and labor had started or something, but I don't think that is happening! Would LOVE to give birth to this little girl tomorrow, though! Also, how do you all feel about stripping membranes,/stretching the cervix etc? I imagine that could come up as well. I am hoping for my second VBAC, so time is a bit of an issue...but still...

#2 ·
Eh, I'd just refuse. They can't make you take off your pants, you know?

Plus, in a practice where they say checking is "just what they do" after 40 weeks, they make try to intervene otherwise.

Just say no! (If that's what you want. I'm having my 40 + week checkup tomorrow, and I'm saying yes. . .because I'm curious!)

#3 ·
Personally, I would want to be checked. More precisely I would want a series of stretch and sweeps. I would ask them if they could do them every other day since this seems to be more effective than just one s+s.

To me, if I was wanting a VBAC, I would much prefer the risk and discomfort of a S+S over the other alternative if labour didn't start naturally over the next week. What is the timeframe they are giving you to go into labor naturally?

Granted you have every right to say no to the advice and suggestions that your midwives give you. If you don't want to be checked or to have a s+s then don't!

I don't think s+s should be universally done. But in certain situations I do believe the benefit outweighs the risk. I had one done the day I had my baby, 8 hours earlier to be exact. I had one because I knew I was carrying a large baby; she was just under 10 lbs. Also I was 6cm and had gone through some serious 'prelabour' episodes and wanted to get her out badly!

Even if your care providers are interventionist and you refuse this, they will continue to be interventionist. But you have every right to say no at every turn.

Good luck! Keep us posted!

#5 ·
They probably want to check you to see how "ripe"/responsive your body would be to induction. If you are a little dilated and effaced, then in they will probably recommend a particular course of induction if you don't go into labor by __ date. If you are not at all dilated or effaced, then it affects their management options. These sound like hospital midwives. Homebirth midwives don't usually do a bio. profile for post dates until closer to 42 weeks, because 37-42 weeks is considered a normal due range.

I recently read a study that said that as many babies are born at 41 weeks as are born at 40 weeks. 40 is no magic number!

Best of luck navigating your care providers.

#6 ·
Just say I would prefer to not have a check a this time. Or if you know how to check yourself just tell them what you are at...lol My midwives don't do checks unless you ask I just give them updates...lol

#7 ·
I don't understand the time thing? Is it safer to have a VBAC before 40 weeks? What will checking you after 40 weeks do to increase your chances of having a VBAC? I would imagine they want to "check" you in order to do a membranes sweep. Personally, I would not have one done unless I was approaching 42 weeks. I wouldn't feel that the benefits outweighed the risks at 40 weeks.

#8 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by jennica View Post
I don't understand the time thing? Is it safer to have a VBAC before 40 weeks? What will checking you after 40 weeks do to increase your chances of having a VBAC? I would imagine they want to "check" you in order to do a membranes sweep. Personally, I would not have one done unless I was approaching 42 weeks. I wouldn't feel that the benefits outweighed the risks at 40 weeks.
Statistically, the farther past your EDD you get, the less likely you are to have a successful VBAC but it's not because of an increase in risk. There is no more risk of rupture at 42 weeks than there is at 40 weeks but docs are more likely to induce or push RCS, reducing chance of successful VBAC. Even ACOGs practice bulletin on VBAC says that a VBAC isn't contraindicated if a woman goes past her EDD. It's so goofy but I hear it all the time. I think it's just provider fear because it certainly isn't evidence based.

And for me, OP, I am also VBACing and I'm not having any checks or any BPPs or anything. My doc has a 43 week comfort level and he said if i go to 42 weeks he'd like to do an NST which I think is reasonable, but other than that I should just gestate peacefully.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.