Mothering Forum banner

EPO taken vaginally?

2K views 18 replies 13 participants last post by  birthluv725 
#1 ·
I've been reading about women using it vaginally as well as orally to ripen the cervix. Would it be overkill to do both? I've been taking it orally for 2 weeks and was curious if it'd put me into labor by OD'ing it, if you will and using it both.

#2 ·
I've been doing both vaginally and orally for a couple of weeks. No signs of labor yet, so I don't think it will put you into labor unless you're ready. I'm just hoping it's making my cervix nice and buttery so that when the time is right, it will dilate quicker.

#3 ·
I have been taking fish oil orally and inserting EPO vaginally. Taking the fish oil capsules alone, things felt very mushy vaginally (though couldn't reach my cervix). Once I started the EPO I've been losing my mucous plug, first a lot, then a bit more each day.

I have no evidence based studies or info to give. Just anecdotal. Search the net?

#4 ·
I've been curious about using EPO vaginally as well. I was thinking I could empty a capsule or two into the olive oil I use for perineal massage and rub a little on my cervix while I'm in there
? I have an appointment with the midwife tomorrow, I'll ask her about it and let you know what I find out.

I don't think you can OD though lol. Everything I've read recommends orally as well as vaginal suppositories. Its rich in prostaglandins which just soften the cervix, not induce, I don't think. A soft cervix sounds good to me!

#7 ·
I just stick the gel cap up as far as it'll go....

Usually I can feel it getting to the ..err.. end of the line. It doesn't fall out, but if I get up to pee a couple hours after putting it in, a bit at a time will dribble out.

#8 ·
Um - yeah - I almost wish at this point that it WOULD induce labor... I've been using it orally and vaginally for about 2 weeks and I am far from going into labor, at least according to my Ob. I am due Friday, but there is a huge Sailfest/fireworks festival this weekend that would make any route to the hospital extremely difficult... I would love to get in and out before then! And I too, just insert the capsule as far as it will go, and leave it...

#9 ·
I was taking one in the morning orally and one at night vaginally. I just pricked it with a pin at the top and shoved it up there. I was 80% effaced and very soft when i went into labor I think it helped a lot

#10 ·
i did it on my midwife's recommendation with my first, and it (along with other readiness factors) did help me dilate quickly.

insert the gel cap as far as you are comfortable before bed. yes, it will dissolve, and yes, you'll have some goo running down your leg eventually... but how is that different from the goo-factory of late pregnancy anyway.

oh, i'll probably start it with this one next week. i'm only 38 weeks today. not in a super hurry.

#12 ·
haven't started taking it vaginally (probably will start tonight) but I will pass on the recommendations of my midwife-- to add to the suggestions above:

-->Put a chux pad under you while you sleep so you don't stain your mattress. The oil is hard to get out! (might be a good time to change out of your good sheets, too)

--> be sure to wash yourself thoroughly in the AM because apparently the oil is a really good medium for growing bacteria and yeast!

#13 ·
I have done this in my 3 previous pregnancies. I have always had a fantastic S-O-F-T, mid position, 80% effaced cervix within a week of starting vaginal/cervical application.

#14 ·
That would be so awesome . . . if I could find some EPO capsules! Our apothecary didn't have any and the local drug store didn't either. I can't believe I'm going to have to walk all over town tomorrow trying to get the stuff.

#15 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Terrilein View Post
That would be so awesome . . . if I could find some EPO capsules! Our apothecary didn't have any and the local drug store didn't either. I can't believe I'm going to have to walk all over town tomorrow trying to get the stuff.

Maybe that's how EPO will work for you. You'll walk the baby out looking for it!

#17 ·
Oh ok thanks! I see your in PDX I'm just outside. Mind if I ask who your using for a mw. I'm using Catherine Schaefer at A Gentle Beginning.

#18 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by AmyKT View Post
Maybe that's how EPO will work for you. You'll walk the baby out looking for it!

LOL, prolly! Although all this talk about oil oozing out is starting to turn me off to the idea anyways. Maybe it's for the best that nothing is to be had easily here.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.