Crusty nipples anyone?! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 07-07-2010, 06:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Seeing as I breastfed DS for 26 mos, I should probably not need to ask this but...
my nips are really crusty.
When I've picked a bit off there's quite a large crater in its place so I'm thinking I should leave alone.
BUT, when babe comes will I get blockages and/or is she going to get these crusty morsels in her mouth? Yuk.

This is a horrible thread. Forgive me....

....or be glad I decided not to ask you all about my very frequent bowel movements that won't flush!

Emma - Welsh Wife to DH and Mummy to DS, Lloyd 13/08/07 and Cerys 15/07/10
Living in Russia
#2 of 12 Old 07-07-2010, 06:17 PM

Yep i've been having them too. I just clean them off in the shower. Anddont get me started inmy bowels. I have to flush at least 3 times or I'm plunging.

Aimee Blessed Momma to 4 amazing boys, P ~ 9 H ~ 7 J ~ 4 and B ~ 1.  Happily married to D Living my almost dream life on an urban homestead, hoping for our forever land to find us soon!

#3 of 12 Old 07-07-2010, 06:23 PM

I'm disgusting from head to toe. Sweaty, smelly, leaky, crusty, oozy, gassy, you name it. And it's not like it will get better after birth . It's a good thing my people love me.

Amy (34): mommy to DD1 (11/07) and DD2 (7/10), wife, wohm, and wannabe suburban homesteader.
#4 of 12 Old 07-07-2010, 07:34 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by welsh View Post
....or be glad I decided not to ask you all about my very frequent bowel movements that won't flush!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma2DoubleCuties View Post
Yep i've been having them too. I just clean them off in the shower. And dont get me started in my bowels. I have to flush at least 3 times or I'm plunging.
SO GLAD TO KNOW I AM NOT ALONE!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyKT View Post
I'm disgusting from head to toe. Sweaty, smelly, leaky, crusty, oozy, gassy, you name it. And it's not like it will get better after birth . It's a good thing my people love me.
So true!

I have had the nipple crust here too. Sometimes I pick it a bit 'cuz it's kinda gross and interesting, but mostly I leave it alone and figure it'll all work itself out with nursing the newborn. Dd2 is still nursing anyway and she's definitely getting some sticky sweet clear substance (pre-colostrum? it's not yellow).

wash.gif  Me  + bikenew.gif Dh =  broc1.gif  Dd1(9 yrs) + hearts.gif  Dd2(6 yrs) and blowkiss.gif Ds(3.5 yrs)
#5 of 12 Old 07-07-2010, 08:27 PM

Ds (who weaned in March) still snuggles or touches my breasts in the morning sometimes and he says, "It's my job to get the milk crystals off the boobies."

me dh ds1 (11/04) ds2 (7/10) and
#6 of 12 Old 07-07-2010, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyKT View Post
me too!

~Manessa mama to one teenageer, one tweenager, and a toddler

#7 of 12 Old 07-07-2010, 09:59 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by flitters View Post
Ds (who weaned in March) still snuggles or touches my breasts in the morning sometimes and he says, "It's my job to get the milk crystals off the boobies."
So cute.

Umm Flitters, just wondering, does it not agitate you when he touches your breasts? Just wondering because I am still nursing my 2.5 y.o. and sometimes it really agitates me when she does so. Just curious.

wash.gif  Me  + bikenew.gif Dh =  broc1.gif  Dd1(9 yrs) + hearts.gif  Dd2(6 yrs) and blowkiss.gif Ds(3.5 yrs)
#8 of 12 Old 07-07-2010, 10:10 PM

Just now noticing that my bra sticks to me when I take it off. So I must be leaking a bit throughout the day. Haven't noticed any actual boobie boogs as of yet.

But stinkie and poopie and slimy and weepy? Yeah. That's me.

Happy and in love with my family!
#9 of 12 Old 07-07-2010, 10:17 PM

i am freakin' dying here reading this!! my dh does not want to hear any of these lamentations~ not that i'm really ready to discuss crusty nipple craters with him either!

this happened with my others too. i'm betting on just dried colostrum. and it. must. be. removed.

ahem.
#10 of 12 Old 07-07-2010, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by welsh View Post
When I've picked a bit off there's quite a large crater in its place so I'm thinking I should leave alone.
Yes, you should! I STILL have a crater in my nipple from some over-aggressive picking after my 2nd baby. . . and that was 3 babies ago! LOL

I love homemade: cute skirts, apricot jam, and family! 
#11 of 12 Old 07-08-2010, 09:42 AM

I gave myself a Jojoba oil rub down and now I'm soft and pink again.

~Janie~ | DH | DS: '05. - Playful Parenting/UP. Baby girl July 2010
#12 of 12 Old 07-08-2010, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfacing View Post
So cute.

Umm Flitters, just wondering, does it not agitate you when he touches your breasts? Just wondering because I am still nursing my 2.5 y.o. and sometimes it really agitates me when she does so. Just curious.
Sometimes yes, sometimes no. For one, I suspect I have high tolerance for touch that most find irritating, in that it didn't bother me until he was maybe 4 years old (maybe more?) when he would twiddle while nursing.

There was definitely a shift as he neared weaning. He was beginning to wean before I was pregnant and I was definitely ready. It completed slowly, child led, during pregnancy - last time he nursed was in early March. During that time I became much more uncomfortable if he would touch my breasts, but I don't think it's the complete skin-crawling-icky feeling I have heard others describe.

Now, most days he doesn't touch, but when he does if he's half asleep in the morning I don't mind as long as it's right on my skin. I'm also usually OK if he's just waking up and wants it for closeness (when the milk crystal removal happens usually). However, if he is more awake and just being playful or touching both breasts at once or if it is through my clothes then I REALLY don't like it so I redirect or tell him how he *can* touch me in a way that won't bother me.

It's pretty infrequent now anyway, but I guess the same as you in that sometimes it irritates me, sometimes it doesn't.

me dh ds1 (11/04) ds2 (7/10) and

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page