Dear MIL - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 07-12-2010, 04:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
When your 41 wk pg daughter-in-law opens a yoghurt to eat after dinner, please don't make snorting piggy noises.
Or tell my Dad, when he comes to visit, that you're watching my weight for me. I have only gained 17lbs this pregnancy....
It makes me want to hit you!!!!!!!!!
Love,
Me

Emma - Welsh Wife to DH and Mummy to DS, Lloyd 13/08/07 and Cerys 15/07/10
Living in Russia
#2 of 16 Old 07-12-2010, 04:39 PM

Ugh. That would make me CRAZY!!!

mama to dd 2x Our sweet boy is here! 7/27
#3 of 16 Old 07-12-2010, 04:46 PM

DDC Crashing....

I'd wait until the next time she pulls something out of the fridge to eat and start squealing "Sooooeeeee pig pig." and see how she likes it.

-:¦:-♥Sarah Lynne♥-:¦:-Wife to Michael and Mommy to Austin(5), Steven(3), Tristyn(1), and Laurelyn (6/3/2011)

#4 of 16 Old 07-12-2010, 04:51 PM

Oy! How terrible! I second what Mommy2Austin said.

I hope I don't see my husband's 95-year-old grandmother again before the baby comes, because I just don't think I can take one more "this is going to be a big baby, isn't it?" comment, even if she is 95.

Amy (34): mommy to DD1 (11/07) and DD2 (7/10), wife, wohm, and wannabe suburban homesteader.
#5 of 16 Old 07-12-2010, 04:52 PM

That is incredibly rude! The immature part of me would do it back when she's least expecting it. The more mature part would try to explain how hurtful that feels, and how your weight is between you and your doc.
#6 of 16 Old 07-12-2010, 05:56 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks all!
I am, by nature, very diplomatic and non-confrontational but I did say something like,
'There's a list of things never to say to a pregnant woman and anything to do with weight is on it'

Living in Russia
#7 of 16 Old 07-12-2010, 07:25 PM

Yikes!!! That's horrid!!! DH teased me ONCE last week because I was eating everything in site, and same thing-haven't gained really ANY weight this pregnancy (I'm already fluffy, I usually gain about 5lbs) and as soon as he said anything I burst into tears.

Serves him RIGHT!

Enjoy your yogurt mama...

Quote:
'There's a list of things never to say to a pregnant woman and anything to do with weight is AT THE TOP OF it'
There. Fixed it.

GOOD moms let their kids lick the beaters. GREAT moms turn off the mixer first!
Humanist Woman Wife , & Friend Plus Mama to 6 (3 mos, 2, 9, 13, 17, 20)
#8 of 16 Old 07-12-2010, 07:33 PM

DDCC -

ouch.

so not nice. Even if you gained a ton of weight this pregnancy that is SO not nice.

Im the same, DH said one thing, a major foot-in-mouth moment that he did not realize in his head sounded as bad as it did coming out of his mouth... and realized as soon as I gave him that look (the one where you are about to burst into tears) he grabbed me and hugged me and told me he didnt mean it lol

Im losing weight this pregnancy, fluffy to begin with and have def. not gained as much as I should have... but I would not put up with anyone saying ANYTHING about my weight at this point.

Even my own father, who kept mentioning that I look so big already... when I was 12 weeks... and I had to remind him that I am FAT, not just pregnant.

Artist, photographer, stay-at-home-mom and Marine wife. Mom to 4; a boy and three little girls.
#9 of 16 Old 07-12-2010, 08:08 PM

i'm no skinny minnie... started at being 170 pounds (i'm 5'9" )... and my husband and parents and inlaws have all been shoving food in front of me. all of them agree that nice jolly cushy pregnant women are most excellent. more food!

Lindsay + Trev = DD RóisÃ*n (9/07) & DS Ãamonn (7/2010)
#10 of 16 Old 07-12-2010, 08:22 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by leanbh View Post
i'm no skinny minnie... started at being 170 pounds (i'm 5'9" )... and my husband and parents and inlaws have all been shoving food in front of me. all of them agree that nice jolly cushy pregnant women are most excellent. more food!
That's so awesome!

Hey Welsh, do you think it's a culture thing? That's so rude of her.

My grandmother told me yesterday that I should be swimming and going on walks. I agreed with her that exercise is good for everybody! Change of subject!

wash.gif  Me  + bikenew.gif Dh =  broc1.gif  Dd1(9 yrs) + hearts.gif  Dd2(6 yrs) and blowkiss.gif Ds(3.5 yrs)
#11 of 16 Old 07-12-2010, 08:25 PM

Ack! Well, you said the right thing. Honestly, if you've only gained 17lbs maybe she's remembering how big she got when she was pregnant and thinks you're little and therefore ok to tease. ? Still uncool. My pal is 36wks and just barely looks pregnant and gets teased so much about fat/bloated/belly etc, it's just because she is startlingly small. No one would dare tease me cus i've gained over 40lbs now heh heh.

Mom to Lizzy born May 2007 & expecting Baby#2 June/July 2010
#12 of 16 Old 07-13-2010, 01:59 AM

Wow, that's incredibly rude! You handled it a lot better than I would have. I hope she'll be silent on the subject for now on.

hide.gif Me 41, single mom to modifiedartist.gifdd 4/2001 and demon.gif ds 7/17/2010

#13 of 16 Old 07-13-2010, 03:57 AM - Thread Starter

Surfacing - It's only a cultural thing in this family! They're just all very insensitive!
Fortunately I've re-trained DH and he definitely thinks pg women get carte blanche to scoff to their heart's content! .

I was overweight to start with (but at my lightest weight for a long time). I think she thinks I'm fair game because I'm slimmer than I used to be. But I've been in this family for 10 yrs so she should know better, yk.

MIL is slim, always has been, and tells me everyday how she gained nothing when pg with DH and only snacked on salad and apples!

The other thing she likes to tell me daily is how she 'never had the opportunity to breastfeed'...but I keep my mouth shut

Urgh. Mad and grumpy today. Need to get away from these people!!!!!!!!
Thanks for listening everyone!!!

Living in Russia
#14 of 16 Old 07-13-2010, 05:08 PM

Saw this emma and just had to respond. What a frigid rude witch. Seriously can someone explain to all these inlaws that its NOT ok to treat us this way? especially when we are away from home, pregnant, without hubby and in a "delicate" state?!
Thank GOD hubby is here and mil and fil are on top behavior but he is starting to see where things they have complained about to him just don't align with the reality of thier daily household.
I am just hoping and wishing that they do something insane while dh is here lol...let him see that I am not the crazy one...grr.
Hugs and support to you emma go out to some amazing place tonight and do nothing but order a horribly gooey yummy lovely dessert and have at it! You SO deserve it!!!
#15 of 16 Old 07-13-2010, 05:52 PM

Wow! And I thought my MIL won the sensitivity award when she told me "I see you still have your tummy" a full 30 hours after I gave birth to my dd.

I'm sorry that some people just don't get how to be polite.

Wife to a wonderful dh and mom to four beautiful kiddos, dd (3/04):, ds1 (1/06), ds2 (10/08), and ds3 (7/10)
#16 of 16 Old 07-13-2010, 07:09 PM

Wow, I can't believe it . . . welsh and ledzepplon. So not cool. I don't even know how I would respond to those comments!

Happy and in love with my family!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page