Postpartum and sleep arrangements - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 07-14-2010, 02:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hi Mamas, I was just wondering how it was going for the postpartum mamas adapting to adding their new little person to the mix. A long while back we had a thread about co-sleeping and what we'd be doing with the other kids, etc. Anybody care to update?

wash.gif  Me  + bikenew.gif Dh =  broc1.gif  Dd1(9 yrs) + hearts.gif  Dd2(6 yrs) and blowkiss.gif Ds(3.5 yrs)
#2 of 8 Old 07-14-2010, 02:21 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
For us, the arrangement has been pretty problem-free. Before Ray was born, I slept in the master bedroom, in the queen bed that used to be our marital bed (DH moved into the spare room to sleep on the futon months before, due to my constant bathroom trips and beached-whale tossing all night long). DD slept in her own little bed in the same room, a few feet away from mine. DH slept on a futon.

Now that Ray is here, DH has taken my place in the master bedroom, while I sleep on the futon with the baby. It works out well for us, since DH can settle DD down when she wakes up from dreams (she sleep-talks too), and take her to the bathroom in the night if she needs to go. I nurse the baby lying down, so co-sleeping is a godsend. The change table is also in the spare room so I can easily change the baby at night. He's had some good night and some wide-awake nights, so we're still adjusting, but so far it's been as expected.

How are things at night for you?

A + J = Miriam (November 2006) and Raymond (June 2010)
#3 of 8 Old 07-14-2010, 02:35 PM

Our sleep arrangements are pretty well the same as before babe arrived, except now she's not in my belly but on it! We have a king size, which we splurged on as a family investment. It is pushed up against two walls, in the corner, so that no one can fall out that side.

DD1 goes to sleep in her own bed in her own bedroom and then crawls in to our bed sometime in the night or early morning. We usually have dd1 crawl into the bed between the wall and dp. And the baby is between dp and I. Ifdd1 needs to cuddle with me, she goes between dp and I and baby is on the open side of the bed...far enough away that she can't fall out but we won't do that for long. I'll need to be the one closest to the wall soon with a kid on either side of me.

The family bed works great for us.

SAHM to DD 03/08 & DD 06/10 made with love with my DP

#4 of 8 Old 07-14-2010, 03:24 PM

So glad you posted this! DH sleeps on the couch if DS and baby are in bed with me - just not enough room. Baby's crib is beside my bed, with an open side with a toddler bed rail, but we sleep so much better beside each other. I sleep between the two children. If DS stays in his bed, DH sleeps with me and the baby.

Does everyone have a "traditional" mattress? My DS has one that is FR free and we got a Naturepedic for the baby.... I hate having them sleep on my mattress. It doesn't have PBDEs, but I think they used phosphorus (linked to SIDS in NZ). Although my mattress is 8 years old and is probably off-gassed by now.
#5 of 8 Old 07-14-2010, 10:31 PM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I'm actually NOT NAK for once, since MIL is visiting & holding the babe, so I'm enjoying a little time to type with BOTH hands!! LOL

This is a great thread. I was a little concerned about this topic before DS2 arrived, but it's working out very well. We're doing things similarly to MamaKaiKai. We have a wonderful King bed, and DS1 still goes to sleep in his bed and then crawls into ours sometime in the wee hours. DS2 sleeps on me. We don't have the bed against a wall (I would worry about a kid getting stuck there, actually), but DS2 has gone from sleeping snuggled up to me to snuggled up to DH very well and without any fuss or problem (whew!!). He's pretty good about staying far enough away from his little bro during the night, and I only occasionally have to wake DH to turn DS1 so his feet aren't in my face (he's a wiggle-worm). DS2 has been pretty decent about sleeping most nights (I probably shouldn't say that out loud), so it's been great!

Go Family Bed!!!!

Wife to since '98; Homeschooling, working on my doctorate & becoming crunchier by the day; Mom to DSs: 06/10,12/05, & 1/99 & 1 on the way (3/15)
#6 of 8 Old 07-14-2010, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaliina View Post
We don't have the bed against a wall (I would worry about a kid getting stuck there, actually), but DS2 has gone from sleeping snuggled up to me to snuggled up to DH very well and without any fuss or problem (whew!!). He's pretty good about staying far enough away from his little bro during the night, and I only occasionally have to wake DH to turn DS1 so his feet aren't in my face (he's a wiggle-worm).

Go Family Bed!!!!
Our bed is just the mattress with no boxspring and no bed frame so it's actually flush against the wall, low to the ground and really does not move at all. Otherwise I too would worry about babes falling off or between the bed/wall. I wouldn't recommend that! And we were actually gifted a bed frame recently, which is a wicked nice gift! But as a co-sleeping family, it's a bit of a bummer gift because it doesn't suit our needs...short of putting safety rails all the way around it!

I was surprised too that dd1 is perfectly content snuggling with papa and going to sleep for him even though I am right there, well most of the time.

We also have a wiggle worm! I'm still not sure what's worse, feet, bum or drooling sleep talking head? But I know I will miss it when she's too old to snuggle.

SAHM to DD 03/08 & DD 06/10 made with love with my DP

#7 of 8 Old 07-15-2010, 03:10 AM

our plans are still the same too:

king size bed for dh, ds, me and baby (whenever it decides to be born).

the only change from the past couple years is that we have pushed a twin bed along the foot of the king size bed because the dogs will not be allowed to sleep on the bed once the baby is out, so that is for them.

me dh ds1 (11/04) ds2 (7/10) and
#8 of 8 Old 07-15-2010, 05:34 AM

dd2 and I sleep alone in the king size bed, dd1 is in her own bed, though occasionally migrates, and dp sleeps on the couch. Pretty much the same, except now the baby sleeps next to me instead if inside of me.
I sometimes wish dp was up here with me in the night to help out with dd2, but I canNOT sleep over his snoring and tossing & turning. It's dreadful. So the couch it is.
Posted via Mobile Device

Weirdo Mama to amazing Aurelia, age 9 & Ember Roslyn, age 3!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page