How's breastfeeding going? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 24 Old 07-15-2010, 11:08 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
So Mamas with your newborns, how are things going? Struggles to share? Venting? Joy to announce? Tandem or single?

wash.gif  Me  + bikenew.gif Dh =  broc1.gif  Dd1(9 yrs) + hearts.gif  Dd2(6 yrs) and blowkiss.gif Ds(3.5 yrs)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 24 Old 07-15-2010, 11:24 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Things are going really well here. Jack has always had a good latch and a strong suck. The only thing that is harder to get used to is he seems to be a cluster feeder. He will sleep uninterrupted for 4-6 hours and then need to nurse for about 2 hours. I am just trying to get used to his rhythms vs my past experiences with the girls. But we went for a weight check yesterday, she had wanted to see 1/2oz to 1oz per day and he did more than an oz per day so clearly he is doing just fine, 2 oz shy of his birth weight at 10 days pp.

I thought my 3 year old would ask to nurse, she weaned during the 1st trimester but has remained firmly attached to the "noonies" since then asking to hold them shrieking with delight when I change etc. I was worried about how she would do watching him nurse. She loves snuggling up when he nurses but has never asked and she likes to talk about how baby Jack gets lots of yummy noonies. It is sweet and I feel so lucky that she doesn't resent him.

Tracy, Wifey to Jeff . Mama to Maya-Papaya 7/04 and Carolina Bean-a 5/07 and Jack 7/4/10!!
#3 of 24 Old 07-15-2010, 12:12 PM

My only words right now are engorment, engorment, engorment. I am sure my poor breasts are going to burst out of the skin. lol.
#4 of 24 Old 07-15-2010, 01:46 PM

Papaya mom, that is so wonderful and totally sweet with your DD. Sounds like she's actually glad that her brother gets to have the same wonderful stuff she remembers having!
As for us--Babe nurses ALL THE TIME. I counted for couple of days so I would know what to tell the MW and he nursed 13 times a day. He is a very vigorous and efficient nurser though, because some feedings only last 5 minutes. I'm pretty sure he's getting all the hindmilk though, because his poops are all yellow and he's gaining like crazy. He was one pound over his birth weight at 12 days PP!

He does go for longer stretches at night, for which I am SO SO grateful. He's been pretty calm and happy so far!

I was also lucky I didn't get engorged this time--had some tenderness and my breasts were huge and sore but not hard.

I still get some nipple pain when he first latches and letdown is painful too.

Marja: consensual-living, unschooling, piano-teaching, doula and mom to 3 creative, independent people:
DD, 8, DS, 6, and Baby DS born July 1, 2010 Married to DH for 10 years!
#5 of 24 Old 07-15-2010, 02:07 PM

How about you, Surfacing?

Raymond had a tongue tie that needed to be clipped, and we're also having some hyperlactation (over-supply) issues with a rapid let-down. We've seen a lactation consultant, who suggested block feeding (I had never heard of it before), and I went to a LLL meeting. No big improvements yet...baby is still gassy, fussy, and chokes/gags when he starts feeding. He often pushes me away, and arches his back and screams. I had no idea these symptoms can be caused by hyperlactation! I'm still engorged, almost three weeks post-partum, and doing massages with each feeding to prevent plugged ducts (the massage probably doesn't help the rapid let-down though!). ARGH, I know things will get better soon...

The good thing is, at least our latch is comfortable, and I don't have any pain (other than the discomfort of engorgement). I have a few questions I'm going to post on the breastfeeding board about over-supply, but other than that, we're limping along and learning each day.

A + J = Miriam (November 2006) and Raymond (June 2010)
#6 of 24 Old 07-15-2010, 02:19 PM

Nursing is going pretty well but there are a few things that have been very different.
* My milk came Tuesday night but I never really got engorged. I get full and my breasts feel heavy but not the rock hard engorgement.

* I'm not leaking. I feel let down, baby is swallowing but the other breast never leaks. It's really weird.

* Nursing my 2 y/o has been hard because of the c-section. I have to put a pillow between us because she gets wild. So I can't nurse both girls at the same time yet. I feel bad because I want DD1 to be able to nurse more but it's just hard right now.

Overall though, Cora has a good latch loves to nurse and we are doing well.

Becky- Wife to DH, Mama to "Nani" (July '08) "Coco" (July '10) and expecting one very wiggly baby boy in May 2013!

#7 of 24 Old 07-15-2010, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoBabyMaker View Post
* My milk came Tuesday night but I never really got engorged. I get full and my breasts feel heavy but not the rock hard engorgement.
No engorgement is good! It probably means you're nursing just the right amount. Engorgement is by no means a good sign.

Amy (34): mommy to DD1 (11/07) and DD2 (7/10), wife, wohm, and wannabe suburban homesteader.
#8 of 24 Old 07-15-2010, 03:10 PM

I was just going to post about breastfeeding! how convenient...

I hope you don't mind and I don't want to take over the thread but I was hoping some of you experienced mama's might have some words of advice...

DS is 6 days old and we are still trying to get the hang of breastfeeding. My milk came in on day 2, I'm a little engorged but not too crazy bad. DS has a great latch so we haven't had any pain at all...so all the things I was worried aboiut as a first-timer seem to be working fine.
BUT : DS seems really uninterested in nursing! he sleeps a lot so I've been having to wake him for feedings and I've figured out by now that he won't nurse if he's a little gassy so I have to burp him well and just keep offering until he's comfortable again...my MW was concerned enough that she suggested I pump and finger-feed him along with continueing to (try) BF but now I'm worried we might be causing nipple confusion with our fingers and DH doesn't see why we don't just use a bottle since it can't be much different from a finger...I;ve been using the finger feeding method as seldom as I feel comfortable with, more often at night when DS is fussier.

He's peeing lots and by day 3 he'd passed all his meconium poos and they became very msutard-seedy right away and he's pooing at least 2x a day if not more...

SO, do I need to be worried if he's not feeding every 2-3 hours? He slept for 4hours straight last night (which I am NOT complaining about, let me tell you) but hasn't had a really good feed since then. We've tried several times but he's only had a few minutes here and there...
I guess I'm just a little frustrated because it doesn't seem like there's much I can do for this and so far this is the only thing that's triggered any baby blues.
#9 of 24 Old 07-15-2010, 03:38 PM

matthia, sorry you are having a bit of nursing frustration. was he early? could he be hypoglycemic, hence sleepy because his blood sugar is low? sometimes with sleepy babies you have to be pretty aggressive about waking them- undress them, mess with them, take them outside, i've even known someone to use ice on baby's feet! once disturbed and fussy, offer the breast and then keep sort of jostling/talking, etc to keep them awake. perhaps you are doing this already. if your midwife isn't helpful enough, then i encourage you to contact a local la leche league leader or a breastfeeding consultant (either from the local hospital or some doulas are certified as well). good luck!!!! and congratulations

JENNY, 38~ preschool teacher, birth activist, sun worshiper, singer, married for 17 years and mom to

Karan 15, Fiona 12, Bodhi 10, Bjorn 6, Devon 3, and Robin Taylor born January 16th!

#10 of 24 Old 07-15-2010, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mataji4 View Post
matthia, sorry you are having a bit of nursing frustration. was he early? could he be hypoglycemic, hence sleepy because his blood sugar is low? sometimes with sleepy babies you have to be pretty aggressive about waking them- undress them, mess with them, take them outside, i've even known someone to use ice on baby's feet! once disturbed and fussy, offer the breast and then keep sort of jostling/talking, etc to keep them awake. perhaps you are doing this already. if your midwife isn't helpful enough, then i encourage you to contact a local la leche league leader or a breastfeeding consultant (either from the local hospital or some doulas are certified as well). good luck!!!! and congratulations
great advice!

Also my first babies were totally efficient nursers even from the beginning they didn't nurse long and I was worried they weren't getting enough. What helped my through those first few weeks was a digital kitchen scale. I put a cookie sheet with a receiving blanket on the sheet and zeroed out the scale then put the baby down and was able to keep track of their weight that way. I usually am not obsessive like that but first time mamahood can do that to you. I just weighed them every few days and was satisfied knowing they were gaining.

It is very encouraging that he pees a lot. Mine is much more of a pee-er than a pooper as well. Good luck hang in there!

Tracy, Wifey to Jeff . Mama to Maya-Papaya 7/04 and Carolina Bean-a 5/07 and Jack 7/4/10!!
#11 of 24 Old 07-15-2010, 04:05 PM

I hope you don't mind me jumping in...Stella was a July baby in the end!

Breastfeeding is going well, she was over her birth weight yesterday at 10 days postpartum. The biggest issue she's having is she seems to want to nurse all of her awake time-and she doesn't seem to sleep long stretches. So we basically nurse for an hour on and off (I offer both sides, think she's done, and then try to hold her or something-but her little birdie mouth starts going very soon after a 30 minute feed) and then we end up nursing her to sleep as well. I just don't seem to remember this from my other two. She's over 9 pounds, and doesn't fall asleep too much during feedings. I just can't figure it out!

Otherwise, it is going well. She seems to slide down my nipple and then I get some pain, but once I reset her she's good to go!

Mama to Noah and Sophie and Stella 7/4/ 2010
#12 of 24 Old 07-15-2010, 07:19 PM

Inverted nipples making latch difficult - check.

Engorgement and general over supply - check.

Cracked nipples from inverted-ness plus engorgement making a good latch impossible - check.

Violent drowning let down - check.

Leaking all. the. time. - check.

I keep reminding myself that this is better than not having enough milk, and that with time things will get better (although w/ DD I leaked all the time up until the day she weaned) but at 2am I sometimes want to scream!

Little guy is a champ though, he gets a milk bath every feeding and spends the first 10 minutes playing lazy (just lapping up what is spraying everywhere) but eventually latches on to get the rest of his milk. Since we don't have AC we're having a lot of nekid time and he is already a fan of the shower (DD was a christmas babe, didn't realize what a stinky problem milk everywhere plus heat creates).

Looking forward to a time when each feeding doesn't soak several receiving blankets and we don't have to change the sheets daily, but all in all it could definitely be worse!

Me (36), my DH (37), our DD (12/07), and our new DS (7/7/10)
#13 of 24 Old 07-15-2010, 09:11 PM

matthia- the only two things I can think of that others haven't suggested are that being even slightly jaundiced can make a baby more sleepy, so make sure he is getting plenty of sunlight for vitamin D, and also, perhaps try a different position? My DD will fall asleep after only a few minutes if I hold her in what I consider the normal or standard BF position, but will stay awake for a really good feeding if I hold her tucked under my arm (is that called football style? I really don't know the terms, sorry)

AFM we are four days pp and my milk is actually here! Hallelujah! Actually, it came in yesterday and quite frankly I was more concerned with it arriving in a timely manner than I was about being pregnant, or the impending birth, or the postpartum recovery because for my DS it took 12 days before I was getting anything! Talk about unnecessary stress for a first time momma! But this time around we knew it was a possibility and started taking EVERYTHING that I took the first time to get it to come in right away.

DD latches on REALLY strongly, and the initial latch is painful because she nurses so often, but it goes away after a second or two. She tends to want to nurse all the time and wants to sleep on the breast but we are working to change that. I didn't get engorged with DS because by the time my milk came in he was soo ready for it (we didn't starve him in the meantime, by the way, my SIL donated milk and I gave it to him in our SNS) so the tenderness in my breasts is quite a different experience, but I'll take that over feeling like I'm starving or failing my baby any day.

Overall I am loving being able to snuggle my sweetie and stroke her downy head and really enjoy this newborn time.

by the way, how is everyone doing with the afterpains that nursing brings on? Good Lord! It is a good thing I recently read that they were worse with subsequent babies or I would seriously have thought something was wrong with me! Ugh! I'm just glad that they seem to be getting better, not worse.

Hey, Babe  +  Me  =  Little Man 07-27-08  &  the Storm Sprite 07-11-10  computergeek2.gif    
#14 of 24 Old 07-15-2010, 09:51 PM

other mamas with engorment...TRY CABBAGE LEAVES...tried this today and its REALLY helping. Also the earth mama angel baby nipple cream while expensive appears to have save my nipples from the tearing up they recieved last time!
#15 of 24 Old 07-15-2010, 10:18 PM

Things are going great. He's a champ nurser. I'm feeling pretty blessed that I've had pretty easy nursers.

Aimee Blessed Momma to 4 amazing boys, P ~ 9 H ~ 7 J ~ 4 and B ~ 1.  Happily married to D Living my almost dream life on an urban homestead, hoping for our forever land to find us soon!

#16 of 24 Old 07-15-2010, 11:22 PM

NAK

SpuglyRoo- Yea! So glad your milk came in sooner this time!!!

I feel like we just had a bid tandem nursing breakthrough!
I haven't been able to nurse my older DD(Nadia) much because I am afraid she will get wild and hurt my incision and Cora is ALWAYS at the breast. I could tell Nadia was feeling hurt but couldn't find a solution. I sat down at the play table with Nadia for a tea party while I was nursing Cora a bit ago. Nadia asked for "ninis" and I realized I could say yes! Cora was in a cradle hold covering most of my incision so it felt safe. Nadia was able to stand at my right side and nurse. So there we sat for 10 or 15 minutes all three of us snuggled together. I could tell she was SO happy and felt loved. I have a new appreciation for kids furniture!

Becky- Wife to DH, Mama to "Nani" (July '08) "Coco" (July '10) and expecting one very wiggly baby boy in May 2013!

#17 of 24 Old 07-16-2010, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyKT View Post
No engorgement is good! It probably means you're nursing just the right amount. Engorgement is by no means a good sign.
This is not true. Engorgement is completely normal for many, many women and is not a "bad" sign and does not mean you are not nursing properly. And then some women never get engorged or have firm breasts. This is also normal.

We are doing very well. DD has been doing great since birth. No latch issues, strong suck. She nurses about every 90 minutes to 2 hours during the day and then 3-4 hours overnight. She never lost weight and is 1lb 2oz over her birth weight at 2 weeks.
#18 of 24 Old 07-16-2010, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcooper View Post
This is not true. Engorgement is completely normal for many, many women and is not a "bad" sign and does not mean you are not nursing properly. And then some women never get engorged or have firm breasts. This is also normal.
No, I didn't mean that engorgement is a bad, bad thing, or that it means you're doing anything wrong. She just seemed concerned that she didn't have it this time, and I was just trying to encourage her that that, too, was ok. I'd rather not be engorged than be engorged, though.

Amy (34): mommy to DD1 (11/07) and DD2 (7/10), wife, wohm, and wannabe suburban homesteader.
#19 of 24 Old 07-16-2010, 02:00 PM

Yay CoBaby Maker!

It's going very well for Maggie & I, she cluster feeds in the morning and again in the evening, and then pretty much STTN...we cosleep, so she has a few dream nips that don't last too long, but otherwise....wow! She's almost .5lb past her birth weight at her 10 day appt, and going strong.

Tandem, when we do it, is going well. But I'm trying to keep DS to only his old nursing times: first thing in the am, when he gets home from daycare, and before bed. Otherwise it seems too inconsistent for him, and sometimes he hoovers all the milk and DD might not be getting enough during her cluster feeds. So it's been hard trying to communicate this to DS (he's almost 19 months). He gets SO upset when he sees me holding or nursing DD. He loves her and kisses her a lot, but he just gets so upset that he can't nurse Right. Then. It's heartbreaking. He just wants to climb up on both of us, and I'm afraid he'll smoosh her or poke her inadvertently. DH & gramma are great at distracting him, but when it's just me....yikes...don't know what I'll do. Just get through it, I guess. Like I said, I don't want to let him nurse whenever because the answer won't ALWAYS be yes, so I think if we have routine times he'll get it eventually. But this is hard. I've tried cuddling with a special snack/book, but that doesn't last long, he just asks for "side" (he calls it "side" because before he was born I'd tell him it was time to switch to the "other side"...so now he calls it "side"....so cute it kills me).

Anyway, this was more more about toddler nursing than newborn....but that's where I am!
#20 of 24 Old 07-17-2010, 10:59 AM

ugh I spoke too soon I cam edown with a plugged duct thursday night which turned into mastitis yesterday. complete with a fever and chills. I am feeling better today but am just going to hang out on the couch and nurse today. It's too bad the girls really wanted to go to the farmers market and now we are just laying low.

#21 of 24 Old 07-17-2010, 12:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

wash.gif  Me  + bikenew.gif Dh =  broc1.gif  Dd1(9 yrs) + hearts.gif  Dd2(6 yrs) and blowkiss.gif Ds(3.5 yrs)
#22 of 24 Old 07-18-2010, 12:13 AM

nak
Cerys is nearly 3 days old and the gassiest baby ever....her tummy gurgles so loudly and she's in alot of discomfort. Not getting much sleep here.

Milk is in and she nursed alot for comfort last night then did 2 green, mucusy poos.
Is it too early for block feeding?

Latch painful too as I've got big nipples and she's got a small mouth.
oy.

Emma - Welsh Wife to DH and Mummy to DS, Lloyd 13/08/07 and Cerys 15/07/10
Living in Russia
#23 of 24 Old 07-18-2010, 04:38 AM

I'm PAK, but I have a hands-free pumping bra, which has become my bff!

We're doing well on nursing, when we can and when I can get her awake enough.

Our schedule is every 3 hours, but skipping one at night by approval of the nutritionist (the schedule, with only getting an hour to hour and a half of sleep at a time, was just unsustainable). She gets to take the breast 3-4 times a day, and a bottle the other 3-4 times. She does oral feeding for 15 minutes, and then gets the rest of a feed in her ng tube. All the milk that goes in her bottles and through the tube is breastmilk, fortified with protein powder, to add protein and calories, both of which she needs for healing and growing. She gets too tired to nurse or drink from the bottle much longer than 12-15 minutes, and it burns too many calories that she needs to use otherwise. She's currently ramping up to 95ml/feed, then going up 5ml/feed each week. When it's a breastfeed first, I just have to estimate how much she's taking, based on how it feels and how long she nurses, and then our experience while we were in the hospital, with weighing her before and after nursing.

I'm pumping every feed, while she gets her tube feeding. I'm getting royally sick of pumping, but I'm going to be doing it for quite a while. I'll keep doing it, though, for a year, or whenever she stops needing it. But my hope is that she can be just nursing by six months. Pumping full-time sucks hardcore, and I'm getting blisters on one nipple (long story, convoluted cause). But so far, my supply is okay. We're using about 700ml/day of pumped milk (some gets wasted each day,) and I'm putting an additional 100-200ml (that's 3-6oz, approximately) into the freezer. If I weren't on meds, I'd donate through milkshare, eventually. I'm taking More Milk Special Blend, so that I can keep up with her increasing feeding amounts, especially now that I'm going six hours at night between pumpings.

When we do nurse, we are using a nipple shield, because I have really short nipples, and she is super chompy. I used a nipple shield for the first few months with Cora, and she transitioned off just fine when her mouth was a bit bigger, so I expect a similar experience. And the OT/PT/lactation people keep giving me nipple shields when I lose one, so I have 3 scattered around the house, and I'm fine with using the shield as long as we need it. Even a year, if that's what enables us to nurse.

Other than that, though, she's a champion (considering her issues) nurser, and I'm so proud of her. When we side-lie nurse, and she starts out awake, she'll nurse really well for a good 15-20 minutes before she pulls off, and tries to cuddle her face up to my breast (which, because the nipple part of the nipple shield is kinda stiff, results in it poking her in the nose, and my laughing my butt off at her.)

Well, that's our teal deer. I'm glad nursing is going so well for the majority of us (I do include myself in that category), and hope it gets better for those struggling.

Oh, I'm also using APNO (All-Purpose Nipple Ointment), prescribed by the OB, to help with the blisters and scaring away the possible thrush that's threatening to be an issue, both on the left side. If you have trouble, especially if you aren't sure of the cause (thrush/yeast, sores, cracks, etc) I totally recommend it. It has an antifungal, antibiotic, and mild steroid, so it really is All-Purpose. You may have trouble finding a pharmacy that makes it, but a hospital pharmacy should. It was Dr. Jack Newman, a leading breastfeeding expert, who came up with it, and it's marvelous stuff.

scifi-convention runners Kate, DH Drew 11/07, DD Cora 12/97. We , ,
Welcome to baby Fiona with a giant omphalocele, 6/17/10!
#24 of 24 Old 07-18-2010, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mataji4 View Post
I totally agree with this! My first was a very sleepy nurser and would kind of conk out after only 5min or so at the breast; for the first few weeks, I had to tickle her neck and chin to keep her awake pretty much through every feeding.

Very good advice ^ and maybe nurse in a more stimulating environment with the lights on and talking to him, etc. Also, I would wake him up to feed and try and nurse very frequently until he kind of perks up about it. I think your reservations about feeding NOT from the breast are good sound mama instinct. I have also heard if your babe is awake and alert, offer the breast just so that they can "practice" and get milk as much as possible.

I think this can be a very short hump to get over and wishing you happy nursing vibes!

Happy and in love with my family!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page