Mothering Forum banner

Waking to nurse in the first 24 hrs?

669 views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  mamakaryn08 
#1 ·
Quick question..

We had 6 nice gulping feeds at the hospital during the first 12 hrs.
She's passed 3 meconium poos.
Now she's been sleeping pretty much for 5 hrs and whenever she stirs I try to tempt her with the boob but she's not interested.
Need some sleep myself. It's 11.30pm here.
I know it's normal for newborns to sleep after that initial alert stage.

Shall I wait until tomorrow/later tonight before trying to encourage regular feedings in earnest? Stripping her off etc if I need to?

Or start now?

#4 ·
Did your HCP not leave you with instructions about what they would like you to do? Over here the MWs tell us to wake and feed them every 3 hrs. Others say let them sleep the first 24 hrs and they'll be good and hungry on day 2.

Glad you got some sleep though!

How are you treating your afterpains?

#5 ·
My guy slept his first night through I woke up thinkIng OMG did he wake and I didn't hear him?? But now I know he gets upset and he wouldn't have let me sleep through that

And yeah afterpains were bad. My third was the worst the afterpains were worse then my actual labor!

#6 ·
Uh, yeah. These afterpains are a killer! Everyone said they would be worse after the 2nd. Well, considering I didn't even feel any with my first, I'm gonna have to shout out an agreement there. Man! Taking valerian root and motherwort and using a heating pack is helping, also making sure my bladder doesn't get too full because that makes it worse!

As far as nursing, my little guy is now about 26.5 hours old and he, too, slept through his first night without waking to feed. He is doing a lot better with latching on than DS#1 though, so I'm not too worried. There was meconium in my water and he has had 2 poopy diapers since he was born, so I think we're doing okay. I'm sure everything will start to get crazy again soon!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.