What in the hell is going on here???? UGH!!!! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 07-17-2010, 09:56 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So yesterday I go to 40 wk appt and everything checks out. I was determined to have this baby this weekend so I'm doing everything I can. I come home from the appt where she checked my dilation at 2. I'm thinking it irritated my cervix to get checked bc I have a little blood, so perfect timing to start some action.

I came home bounce on my ball for an hour and dtd. It worked! I started contracting every 8-9 minutes for a few hours. Then we go for a long walk in the hills. Come home, lay down and contractions are 4.5 min apart for about an hour. GREAT!!!! I get in the bath for about 20 min, finish paching my hospital bag and lay back down to do some more timing. Now I'm back to 7.5 min apart for another hour. I think maybe the bath slowed me down, so I go on another walk. Come home... more of the same. At this point, I'm exhausted! So, I decide to go to sleep. every 10 minutes a contraction wakes me up. It's now 1am and I feel like I'm losing it! 7 whole hours this went on!!!! And I'm not talking little contractions, I'm talking 1 min long... having to stop to breathe through them contractions. Then, woke up at 6 am am contracting again about 10 min apart, but painful!

I've never been in labor before, but is this normal??? I've never heard of this... I mean thinking you're in full labor them BAM! Nothing....

SO FRUSTRATED!!!!!!!

Dana- wife to wonderful DH, and a non vaxed happy heathly 2 yr old!

#2 of 8 Old 07-17-2010, 10:08 AM

Oh, yeah. It's frustrating, all right. I'm sorry you're going through this , but it surely means that your baby is on the way soon! My first (and so far, only) labor started very slowly and went on that way for about 24 hours at home. I slept in the middle of that, and I don't remember if my contractions slowed way down, but they did stay pretty steady and slow while I was taking it easy. It wasn't until my water broke (during my first check by the midwife at the hospital on the second day) that things really picked up and didn't slow down.

I know it's hard, but try to relax your body and mind. If you're tense, things will slow down. Have you read any Ina May Gaskin? Try keeping your mouth open and loose and relaxed, and that looseness will translate to your cervix, as well. Look up "sphincter law." Rest while you can, because it sounds like it won't be long

Good luck, and keep us posted!

Amy (34): mommy to DD1 (11/07) and DD2 (7/10), wife, wohm, and wannabe suburban homesteader.
#3 of 8 Old 07-17-2010, 10:11 AM

that would be the joy of prodromal right there. with my first, it went on for three days with only about 7 hours of active labor. luckily, i went into active labor at 5cm and 100% effaced.

trust me, you want to lay down and REST. rest rest rest. i know you're eager to get this baby out, but when it's real labor... it won't matter if you're laying down or walking, the contractions will come. you need your rest for the super work of labor. one of the most common causes for intervention for a first time mom is exhaustion.

please rest while you can. even if you're not sleeping, resting can be just as refreshing.

Lindsay + Trev = DD RóisÃ*n (9/07) & DS Ãamonn (7/2010)
#4 of 8 Old 07-17-2010, 10:17 AM - Thread Starter

So, If i'm in full labor, they won't stop from me moving around doing stuff? I'm tired, but I felt like I should try to go on another walk this morning. I'm just so uncomfortable and want her out!

Amy- I've read Ina May. Trying to moan a bit through them when they really hurt. It does help!

leanbh- Thanks for the tip. I plan on resting the rest of the day.... I'm just so anxious!!!! I want my baby!!!

Dana- wife to wonderful DH, and a non vaxed happy heathly 2 yr old!

#5 of 8 Old 07-17-2010, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leanbh View Post
one of the most common causes for intervention for a first time mom is exhaustion.

please rest while you can. even if you're not sleeping, resting can be just as refreshing.
That's a great point. Definitely rest as much as you can! Easier said than done, I know

Amy (34): mommy to DD1 (11/07) and DD2 (7/10), wife, wohm, and wannabe suburban homesteader.
#6 of 8 Old 07-17-2010, 10:33 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dana76 View Post
So, If i'm in full labor, they won't stop from me moving around doing stuff?
Early labour is like that for many women: uncomfortable but you can still walk around, go shopping, watch a movie, etc. For first time moms early labour usually lasts 12-24 hours. (These are general statements.)

I agree with the others who recommend rest. You can check in with your HCP and let her know what's been going on as well, just as a touch-base so she can plan her next day or two.

Congratulations Lady, sounds like you're in labour!

wash.gif  Me  + bikenew.gif Dh =  broc1.gif  Dd1(9 yrs) + hearts.gif  Dd2(6 yrs) and blowkiss.gif Ds(3.5 yrs)
#7 of 8 Old 07-17-2010, 10:39 AM

Rest. Rest. Rest. Do not try natural augmentation of labor if it's not working! My babies, my grandma's seven babies, my mom's two babies, and my aunts' collective, oh, 15 babies, all came at 41.5 weeks.

I'm sorry it's frustrating but I agree with the others that if you rest and let it come naturally you are much more likely to enjoy it.

It's not that the stay-at-home-parent gets to stay home with the kids. The kids get to stay home with a parent. Lucky Mom to DD1 (4 y) and DD2 (18 mo), Wife to Mercenary Dad
#8 of 8 Old 07-17-2010, 11:30 AM

Some women ware themselves out during early labor and then don't have the energy at the end when they really need it. Relax!!! Your body is starting to work on it's own. You don't have to do anything at this point to force it to work harder. Rest, do some early labor projects, and try not to get too excited and use so much energy on this early part. It could last a very long time and then when hard labor kicks in you'll already be worn out. Good luck!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page