Mothering Forum banner

Cloth diapering a newborn

890 views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  rebeccalizzie 
#1 ·
Who is using cloth diapers on their newborn? I've never cloth diapered from the newborn stage and I am really struggling. I have prefolds and fitteds that fit Stella really well, but she HATES to be wet. She also seems to pee the second we change her diaper so we've gotten into a change, pee, scream cycle. I have no problem changing her every hour, but at this point it is closer to every 10 minutes. She also wakes herself up when she pees or poos in her diaper (even a disposable sometimes). I am thinking I could cut some fleece liners and see if that helps but it just seems really difficult to get into a good routine. I was reluctant to get any diapers that weren't just a cotton layer because we live in an apartment without any hot water in the washing machine and I was worried about getting them clean. I can buy different types of dipes when I head back to the States in Sept., but for now this is what I have. Anyone else have any experience or advice with this?

#2 ·
Sorry you're having troubles!

My ds was this way too as a newborn...hated to be wet at all. I never could figure out a good diapering solution that kept him happy all the time so I started doing EC. He was very clear in his cues for when he needed to pee or poop, so I just put him over the toilet at first, and then eventually bought a potty chair for him.

Eventually at night, I started using disposables because I really wasn't up to taking him to the bathroom all the time, and the sposies kept him dry and happy as long as I changed him frequently.

During the day, he'd wear a prefold with a cover, but I'd still take him to the potty whenever he would show cues or before I'd put a new diaper on him.

HTH! You may also want to try cross posting in the cloth diapering forum, or in EC.

Good luck!

#3 ·
I was thinking about EC in this situation, too. I'm having such a hard time getting my nearly 3 yr old DD out of diapers(sposies), it kind of sounds good to have one who doesn't like being wet, but I'm not sure I could handle EC or constant diaper changes in the first few weeks. I've got my stack of prefolds ready fir service again, but I also have my backup sposies. I'd love to hear if you try EC and how it goes for you.

#5 ·
I've also got a new July 4th babe!

We've been CD'ing from the start, and it's been working well, but DD doesn't seem to hate being wet like it sounds like yours does. I wonder, though, if she might have the tiniest bit of rash/rawness/irritation that is being bothered by the wetness? You might want to try a bit of cream or coconut/olive oil. That would act as a bit of a barrier and could help you figure out if it's something other than wetness. Never done EC, but I agree with pp that it could be useful in your situation. And also, if sposies are what keep everyone happy, I think doing them for a bit can't hurt at all. You need to be sane as the mom of a newborn, right?

Good luck!

#6 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by AmyKT View Post
I was thinking about EC in this situation, too. I'm having such a hard time getting my nearly 3 yr old DD out of diapers(sposies), it kind of sounds good to have one who doesn't like being wet, but I'm not sure I could handle EC or constant diaper changes in the first few weeks. I've got my stack of prefolds ready fir service again, but I also have my backup sposies. I'd love to hear if you try EC and how it goes for you.
I can totally understand how overwhelming it could be to have a 3yo and a newborn and to try to EC. I also have a 3yo, and the new one should be here any day now. I'm going to give EC a shot again because it worked so well with ds, but who knows how it will go!

I honestly found EC to be easier with ds though than diapering...especially for poops. Plus there's nothing cuter than a naked baby bum!

I had a fair amount of luck with hemp doublers and fleece pockets...but really when he peed, he still felt wet regardless.

I agree though that if everyone is happier with sposies the first few weeks, then just go with it

#7 ·
Thanks everyone! I am fine using sposies for the first few weeks until I feel up to making the fleece liners and giving cloth diapering a second go. I love the idea of EC but I haven't read a lot about it and with a four year old and six year old also running around I am not sure now is the time to pick it up. Maybe when they head back to school and it is just me and the babe!

On a side note...I love how active this board is-I hope that you all don't mind me jumping into July. Thanks again!

#8 ·
Hmm, I don't know. We have pf's and sposies and we're just gonna play it by ear and mix it up with a little EC/naked but laying on towel time. I've never cd'd at all yet! I'm a little intimidated by the nb stage coz they go through so many changes, but I really don't want to rely mainly on sposies coz I think the cloth is healthier for their brand new skin . . . *shrug*

I hope it works out for you!

#9 ·
hey, I just wanted to add my 2cnts. I'm cd'ing a newborn who also hates to be wet and I have found it surprisingly easy to work in some part time EC. Especially to eliminate the pee right after the new diaper goes on. I've just been taking him to the sink when I change him and he's been going really regularly. I still diaper him and I miss a ton but it definitely helps the every-10-minute diaper change!

#10 ·
my newbie arrived on the 5th and HATES being wet, cries until she is cleaned up, I did sposies for the meconium then switched to cd, BUT she also poops each change and has gotten red despite my vigilance with changing, so for now I am back to sposies while using some butt butter and then will go back to cd when her reddness and pooping subsides...I have never had a baby that poops this much, it is sheer craziness.

#11 ·
My n00b isn't here yet (ANY day now right?!?!) But with my others we do nakey time or sposies for the first few weeks, until there's a more clear rhythm to the elimination. Then it's a lot easier to stay with cloth, for us at least. All of mine freak about being wet, so I totally understand!

#12 ·
I'm CD'ing out of necessity--I was going to use disposables for the first few weeks but he pees too much for the newborn size (they leak--both Huggies and Pampers) and he doesn't quite fit into the size 1's.

Honestly, it's been VERY trial and error here. Prefolds and covers were a bust--he gets poop on the cover every time and I don't have enough covers to get me through a whole day like that. Most of my newborn fitteds aren't absorbent enough. DEFINITELY the newborn AIO's and pockets aren't absorbent enough. So right now we're using one size fitteds so I have the extra bulk for extra absorbency. And I use a doubler at night, and it still isn't enough to get him through unless I change him every time he wakes up, which means he is totally awake instead of just barely awake enough to nurse and go back to sleep.

Sigh. We're changing clothes a LOT over here.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.