Mothering Forum banner

What do I really need in my bag?

568 views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  wavybrains 
#1 ·
So my doula has told me 3 times now to pack my hospital bag. Right now I'm kinda feeling like, why bother? It's never coming out anyway
Regardless, even when I think about it I'm thinking ... but what would I put in there? Toothbrush? I need that daily. In fact, everything I can think of to pack, I need on a regular basis. I'm feeling really lazy too. What should I have ready to go when I go to the hospital? Usually I'm super organized, plan ahead, etc, but I feel like I'm in a fog right now.

See less See more
#2 ·
I never packed one. I thought it would jinx my home birth. Also, I figured if I was going to the hospital I would either have plenty of time to pack one, or not care because I needed to get there fast.

#3 ·
I just packed mine last night and I wasn't that motivated either...

I put in old slippers and socks I can throw out when I'm done there
Toothpaste/brush
Brush
(I don't do makeup really or else I would include that)
Book/magazine to read if bored
Glasses because I won't care about contacts then
Camera with charger
Going home outfit for me and baby
Comfy old pj's that I can easily breastfeed from because hospital gowns aren't comfy to me- nor is showing my butt to visitors
Heavy overnight pads because the ones in the hospital didn't have adhesive last time and that was horrible trying to move around
A few snacks because hospital food is blah

Really, I brought anything that would make me more "comfy".

#4 ·
I overpacked as far as clothes and ened up not needing most of the stuff! Key items for me were:

Some cozy maternity clothes , some maybe from earlier on since I was at least a bit smaller (but not much!) once baby was out! Some cozy pre-preggo shirts that were on the bigger size. I was psyched to have this one really soft, flowy pair of black capris that were so comfy and actually looked kind of nice when people came to visit.

Toiletries - shampoo and conditioner, deodorant, toothbrust/paste, hairbrush (I forgot mine!)

lightweight sweater...it can be cold in there (and the cold felt really good!!)

favorite snacks (though DH always makes a run for me after delivery : )

Cameras, chargers, computer, cell phones.

Picture of other kids if you have them

A bath towel of your own - at my hospital the towels are tiny, and I am not tiny after havinga baby!

Basically, cozy clothes and essentials! Good luck and enjoy!!!

#5 ·
It took me awhile to decide to pack my bag too, and now as I close in at 41 weeks, it's kind of mocking me, but here's what's in it. I packed the bag with stuff for labor on top, stuff for recovery next, and stuff for baby bottom:

--Two giant, cheap nightgown/mumu things to labor in or recover in. I hate hospital gowns so I searched out two that cover me better for under $10.
--A pair of pjs and a nightgown for after. Last time, I desperately wanted more clothing options.
--real clothes for coming home
--nursing bra
--several baby gowns and t-shirts. I liked dressing DD in "real" clothes.
--coming home outfit for baby
--pads for after. Yes, hospital will give you some, but good to have option
--toiletries for freshening up after--travel shampoo, soap, tooth paste (I really wanted soap and shampoo last time!)
--labor comforts: essential oils (lavender and eucalyptus work for me), sachet of lavender for the tub, mouth wash (I puked with DD's labor and wanted this so bad!), tennis ball massage thingie for back, sound machine (this also works afterwards to block hospital noises)
--snacks (I don't want to be at the mercy of nurses, and I'm picky. Also DH might need something)
--change of shirt for DH (DD puked and pooped on him within minutes!)
--very light reading for self and DH
--very simple knitting
--camera & charger

It looks like a long list, but it fit nicely in a single bag. I used ziplocs to keep stuff organized.

In a separate bag, I've got my nursing pillow and a sling. That can stay in the car until needed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.