Ellison Henry is here! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 25 Old 07-19-2010, 10:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Sorry, Due Date Buddy--things happened so fast we weren't able to keep you or anyone else in the loop.

Woke up at 4 a.m. Sunday having some pretty good backaches, 12 minutes apart. Hmm...6 a.m., they were 4-5 minutes apart, we called the doctor and went to the hospital. When I got there and into triage, I was already 6-7 centimeters. I was 10 by 11:40 a.m. Contractions were manageable, even during transition--it was weird, they didn't register as supremely painful, just super-intense and all in my back.

By noon...I was ready to push. And I was pushing and pushing and pushing...though baby was head down, he was posterior, and his head was off-kilter, and he was presenting almost with his ear instead of his forehead. He got stuck. We tried every position under the sun, we tried the shower, we tried just about everything. My doctor called in the OB attending, who floated the idea of forceps or a vacuum assist, at which point I consented to an epidural, because while contractions and pushing are manageable unmedicated, forceps (in my mind) are not--I also figured that might buy me a little rest and give me more energy to push him out on my own. Baby didn't tolerate the epidural very well, and his heart rate began to decline...the OB attending did an exam and determined that using forceps would probably cause major trauma to both of us AND would probably be unsuccessful, which would lead to an even worse section anyway.

So, after a pretty quick and manageable first-stage labor for a first-timer, and somewhere between 3-4 hours of unmedicated pushing (which really was kind of cool--it let me know I can do it), I was prepped for c-section, which I REALLY didn't want but am OK with given the circumstances. (In other words, had I prepared for a homebirth, I still probably would have ended up transferring to the hospital.)

Ellison Henry came into the world at 4:48 p.m., 7 pounds, 14 ounces, 19 3/4 inches long.

Even more fun, I apparently lost a ton of blood during the section, passed out while getting out of the shower today (thankfully I had a nurse assist but soon found myself surrounded by concerned-looking medical staff and a wheelchair) and had a transfusion today which has made things better. I switched from dilaudid to percocet today, and as I've said before, I care for neither. They're making me dizzy. My incision stings like a mofo. I will go home Wednesday or Thursday. Ellison's been sleepy and slow to nurse, so we'll work on that in the next several days.

ProtoLawyer (the now-actual lawyer, this isn't legal advice,  please don't take legal advice from some anonymous yahoo on the Internet)
Spouse (the political geek) * Stepdaughter (the artist) * and introducing...the Baby (um, he's a baby? He likes shiny things).
#2 of 25 Old 07-19-2010, 10:48 PM

Aww, welcome Ellison! And congratulations on your labor . . . too bad baby wasn't more cooperative, but it sounds like you were really giving it your all and hanging in there like an old pro. I hope you have lots of support as you heal, and enjoy your sweet little bundle!

Wife to a wonderful dh and mom to four beautiful kiddos, dd (3/04):, ds1 (1/06), ds2 (10/08), and ds3 (7/10)
#3 of 25 Old 07-19-2010, 11:11 PM

Congratulations on your baby! Sorry to hear labor didn't go as you wanted, but at least they were ready to take care of you and it sounds like you're on the mend. Hope you and baby get the hang of nursing and enjoy your first week together especially.

#4 of 25 Old 07-19-2010, 11:12 PM

Yay Proto!!!!!

Sounds like you gave it your best... Birth is definitely unpredictable. Sorry about your C- Just glad that you and baby are safe and sound after the surgery.

Good luck getting your nursing on track!

Dana- wife to wonderful DH, and a non vaxed happy heathly 2 yr old!

#5 of 25 Old 07-19-2010, 11:19 PM

Congratulations, and welcome Ellison Henry! Fabulous name.

Mommy to an amazing 8 year old, wife to an inspiring principal, and welcoming Wylie Grace! Our July 4th babe!
#6 of 25 Old 07-19-2010, 11:41 PM

Wow, Proto!! Hope you're mending quickly from the cesarian birth, and I'm really glad to hear that he's healthy and well.

Congratulations on the birth of your son and best of luck as you settle in and practice nursing!

Happy and in love with my family!
#7 of 25 Old 07-19-2010, 11:55 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Proto you are a rock star, working your butt off and sticking at it for so long. Fascinating that little Ellison was presenting with his ear first! So strange.

Glad to hear you are at peace with the c-section. Yeah, there's a time and a place, and this sounds like it was one of them. Getting a transfusion and everything -- wow, that's hardcore. Take good care of yourself Mama. I hope you have some good support for breastfeeding.

wash.gif  Me  + bikenew.gif Dh =  broc1.gif  Dd1(9 yrs) + hearts.gif  Dd2(6 yrs) and blowkiss.gif Ds(3.5 yrs)
#8 of 25 Old 07-20-2010, 12:12 AM

Congrats!! I'm so happy for you.

At the end of the day, a birth is a birth is a birth. (I know some will disagree.) At least that's how I make/made peace with my own Cesarean. I'm just glad you have a healthy baby in your arms. You did it!!!

Mommy to a gorgeous little miracle
#9 of 25 Old 07-20-2010, 12:14 AM

I was wondering how you were doing!!! Thanks for updating us, get lots of rest mama and enjoy that amazing baby!!!! CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!

GOOD moms let their kids lick the beaters. GREAT moms turn off the mixer first!
Humanist Woman Wife , & Friend Plus Mama to 6 (3 mos, 2, 9, 13, 17, 20)
#10 of 25 Old 07-20-2010, 01:11 AM

Welcome baby Ellison! What a great name! Thinking quick healing and recovery thoughts for you!

Aimee Blessed Momma to 4 amazing boys, P ~ 9 H ~ 7 J ~ 4 and B ~ 1.  Happily married to D Living my almost dream life on an urban homestead, hoping for our forever land to find us soon!

#11 of 25 Old 07-20-2010, 04:03 AM

Congratulations on your baby boy and Welcome Ellison!

Sounds like you did your best in each moment that presented itself. Peace to you and enjoy your baby!!

JENNY, 38~ preschool teacher, birth activist, sun worshiper, singer, married for 17 years and mom to

Karan 15, Fiona 12, Bodhi 10, Bjorn 6, Devon 3, and Robin Taylor born January 16th!

#12 of 25 Old 07-20-2010, 05:10 AM

Congrats! Wishing you a speedy recovery and a happy babymoon
#13 of 25 Old 07-20-2010, 05:55 AM

Welcome baby Ellison!
Enjoy your babymoon

Your User Agreement here at MDC, read it and make it your friend and read the FAQ to answer all the questions of the (MDC) world.
#14 of 25 Old 07-20-2010, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ledzepplon View Post
Aww, welcome Ellison! And congratulations on your labor . . . too bad baby wasn't more cooperative, but it sounds like you were really giving it your all and hanging in there like an old pro. I hope you have lots of support as you heal, and enjoy your sweet little bundle!
This, exactly. Congratulations!

Happy wife of Treading.gif  mom to L lady.gif and Mjog.gif

#15 of 25 Old 07-20-2010, 11:44 AM

Congratulations and welcome to the world, Ellison!

Amy (34): mommy to DD1 (11/07) and DD2 (7/10), wife, wohm, and wannabe suburban homesteader.
#16 of 25 Old 07-20-2010, 11:50 AM

Congrats!!!

Lana: Mama to Mya Oct/2007 and Ainsley July/2010
#17 of 25 Old 07-20-2010, 12:08 PM

Congratulations

Mom of 8 children 4 Boys : and 4 girls :2 dogs named Kibblez and Brook , sadly miss my Husband that passed 03/03/2007 !Trully Miss my Brother Joey that passed on 3/25/09..

#18 of 25 Old 07-20-2010, 12:38 PM

Congratulations and happy babymoon!

As for the pain, I had my (second) c-section after a (second) 24-hour labor. That was the 14th. I'm completely off of pain meds--even acetaminophen--as of last night (the 19th). It will get better, I promise!

Mom to a sunny toddler and a snoozy baby
#19 of 25 Old 07-20-2010, 01:45 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
CONGRATS PROTO!!! I'm so happy for you! Even though plans had to change I'm glad you got to go the natural way for awhile first, and that you have a healthy baby to cuddle!

Loving mama to Aden (8/5/2010) and DSD (15).
#20 of 25 Old 07-20-2010, 03:22 PM

Aww, congratulations, mama! I love his name!
Posted via Mobile Device

Weirdo Mama to amazing Aurelia, age 9 & Ember Roslyn, age 3!
#21 of 25 Old 07-20-2010, 04:16 PM

Congratulations Proto!! ! Welcome Ellison (LOVE his name)! I wish you quick healing!

mama to dd 2x Our sweet boy is here! 7/27
#22 of 25 Old 07-21-2010, 10:36 AM

welcome Ellison! What a birth story, it sounds exhausting. I hope you are resting up and healing well.

Tracy, Wifey to Jeff . Mama to Maya-Papaya 7/04 and Carolina Bean-a 5/07 and Jack 7/4/10!!
#23 of 25 Old 07-23-2010, 03:00 AM

Congrats Proto and welcome Ellison! It sounds like we delivered around the same time (not accounting for time zone differences). You did a great job with your labor, I wish you peace and quick healing.

Paula, mama to DS M (7/2010) sleepytime.gif and Watson (1998) dog2.gif and welcoming baby Penny (8/1/2013) babyf.gif

#24 of 25 Old 07-29-2010, 09:55 PM

Congrats! I was just realizing I hadn't seen you around in a while and remembered you were expecting your little one. So glad to find the wonderful news! He was born just a couple days too late to share a birthday with my littlest

Congrats to you and your family!!

Parenting four little monkeys (11, 8, 6, and 4) with the love of my life. Making it up as I go.
#25 of 25 Old 07-30-2010, 12:39 PM

Congratulations!!! I love the name.

You know, I heard a nearly identical birth story to yours a few weeks ago. Baby presented ear first. The mother was a trooper just like you and had a natural labor for a day, but the baby's head just wouldn't present skull first. She also required a c-section. You're not alone!!

Lots of healing vibes to you!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page