Our Son Is Earthside! *UPDATED #21 BIRTH STORY/PICS* - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 25 Old 07-20-2010, 05:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well Girls, we did it, our little munchkin hit the earth at 11 a.m. this morning, after a 5 minute pushing stage with lots of roaring. 8 lbs, 3 oz, 20 inches long. The birth was really intense with an active stage of about 5 hrs. I am in shock and he is so adorable and precious. I will write more in the future and have pics, back to bed now for more napping since I only slept 3 hrs last night.

Thanks for all the ELV's Mama! I think it helped!

My postpartum hormones and mood already have me all over the place.

Blessings to all of you and best wishes to the rest who are still waiting.

ETA - my baby turned from ROA to ROP!!! and I had crappy back labour. I could NOT have survived it without my doula and either dh or a MW pushing on my hips, holy cow. Gives me tremendous respect for back labourers.

wash.gif  Me  + bikenew.gif Dh =  broc1.gif  Dd1(9 yrs) + hearts.gif  Dd2(6 yrs) and blowkiss.gif Ds(3.5 yrs)
#2 of 25 Old 07-20-2010, 05:41 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Congrats! Enjoy your babymoon.
#3 of 25 Old 07-20-2010, 05:42 PM

Congrats Surfacing All that prodromal business was worth it after all!!!
#4 of 25 Old 07-20-2010, 05:50 PM

Wahoo!!!!!
Congratulations to you and your family on the arrival of your precious Son!
I hear you on the back labour.....nasty stuff.

Emma - Welsh Wife to DH and Mummy to DS, Lloyd 13/08/07 and Cerys 15/07/10
Living in Russia
#5 of 25 Old 07-20-2010, 06:07 PM

I'm so happy for you! Sorry about the back labor. That sucks! But hooray for a great support team!

Amy (34): mommy to DD1 (11/07) and DD2 (7/10), wife, wohm, and wannabe suburban homesteader.
#6 of 25 Old 07-20-2010, 06:30 PM

YAY!!!!

So happy for you mama!!!!

Enjoy the babymoon!!!!

Dana- wife to wonderful DH, and a non vaxed happy heathly 2 yr old!

#7 of 25 Old 07-20-2010, 06:38 PM

What?! He's here already? These babies are coming in like wildfire!

Congratulations surfacing and welcome to your new baby boy!!

JENNY, 38~ preschool teacher, birth activist, sun worshiper, singer, married for 17 years and mom to

Karan 15, Fiona 12, Bodhi 10, Bjorn 6, Devon 3, and Robin Taylor born January 16th!

#8 of 25 Old 07-20-2010, 06:44 PM

congratulations mama!! enjoy your sweet boy!

mama to dd 2x Our sweet boy is here! 7/27
#9 of 25 Old 07-20-2010, 07:27 PM

Congrats momma!! Welcome sweet boy!

Aimee Blessed Momma to 4 amazing boys, P ~ 9 H ~ 7 J ~ 4 and B ~ 1.  Happily married to D Living my almost dream life on an urban homestead, hoping for our forever land to find us soon!

#10 of 25 Old 07-20-2010, 07:35 PM

Hooray!!! Enjoy your little guy! Hope you get some rest.

So happy for you!

Weirdo Mama to amazing Aurelia, age 9 & Ember Roslyn, age 3!
#11 of 25 Old 07-20-2010, 08:12 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Yipeee!! Congratulations to you all and enjoy your babymoon!

Larissa, mom to my 3 girls (07/10), (05/02), and (09/98)
#12 of 25 Old 07-20-2010, 08:24 PM

congrats! Welcome to the world little boy!
#13 of 25 Old 07-20-2010, 08:47 PM

Yay!! Congratulations!!

Sorry you had to deal with back labor, but so happy all is well and you're cuddling your new sweet boy. Hope you continue to have lots of support and that breastfeeding is going well.

Enjoying life with DH since 05/04 and our two boys Oliver 02/07 and Theodore 07/10 

#14 of 25 Old 07-20-2010, 09:46 PM

Congratulations!

Mom of 8 children 4 Boys : and 4 girls :2 dogs named Kibblez and Brook , sadly miss my Husband that passed 03/03/2007 !Trully Miss my Brother Joey that passed on 3/25/09..

#15 of 25 Old 07-20-2010, 10:14 PM

AWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Congrats so very much, I'm so happy for you!!!!!

GOOD moms let their kids lick the beaters. GREAT moms turn off the mixer first!
Humanist Woman Wife , & Friend Plus Mama to 6 (3 mos, 2, 9, 13, 17, 20)
#16 of 25 Old 07-21-2010, 02:49 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
YAY Surfacing!!! Congrats Mama! And welcome Baby Boy!!!
Sounds like you did a helluva job!

Me dreads.gif 32, loving him fuzmalesling.gif33, more each day. Rad boy, jog.gif 7/12/10 & Cool gal baby.gif  4/28/13

I'm a biracial, atheist, humanist, pacifist, anarchist, bibliophile, and educator. Rainbow.gifgd.gifwinner.jpgnocirc.gif

#17 of 25 Old 07-21-2010, 04:23 AM

DDCC
Congrats Surfacing! Enjoy a milky babymoon

Mama to DD Feb '08 (9lbs), DS Oct '10 (10lbs) hbac.gif, DD Jan '13 hbac.gif

#18 of 25 Old 07-21-2010, 10:35 AM

Aww enjoy and rest up mama! Welcome little one

Tracy, Wifey to Jeff . Mama to Maya-Papaya 7/04 and Carolina Bean-a 5/07 and Jack 7/4/10!!
#19 of 25 Old 07-21-2010, 01:12 PM

Congratulations, Surfacing!

Enjoy your babymoon

Happy and in love with my family!
#20 of 25 Old 07-21-2010, 02:07 PM

YAY! So happy for you that you had a wonderful birth. Back labour sounds nasty though. Can't wait for pics!

Marja: consensual-living, unschooling, piano-teaching, doula and mom to 3 creative, independent people:
DD, 8, DS, 6, and Baby DS born July 1, 2010 Married to DH for 10 years!
#21 of 25 Old 07-21-2010, 02:25 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks all! Here's a quick birth story - an excerpt from an email I sent a friend. I'll ETA pics shortly.

As you all know I had been having prelabour and prodromal labour for about 2 weeks before his birth and it was driving me up the wall! So when I started getting ctxns at 4:45 a.m. on Tuesday, I waited a bit to see if they'd intensify or peter out... but since I had a fast 3 hr labour with dd2, the MWs wanted me to contact them right away. At 6 a.m. I paged the MW because while the ctxns were short, they were regular and kept getting closer together. In an hour they went from 6 min apart to 4 min to 3 to 2 to 3 to 5 again... The calvalry arrived at about 7 a.m. The MW checked me and I was 4-5 cm, 80% effaced.

My dad picked up the kids at 8 a.m. and yeah, I was reaaaallly glad he did when things got rolling because I really let myself surrender and made quite a lot of rukus. My baby had been ROA/ROT, I did lunges and stuff during labour to try to get him OA. Instead he went ROP! I had only had about 3 hrs of sleep when labour started so I was tired. After lunges I went to bed for a bit... then hated lying down through the surges, felt restless, got up and spent a lot of time on the toilet. Things started to get more difficult and intense, I was breathing through ctxns with my eyes closed and really working through them. My lower back was really starting to hurt so I had my doula bring a hot water bottle which helped.

Again I got really restless and overheard the MWs whispering that this baby would come soon. Would I like to lay on the birthing bed? Yes. Then things really got rolling.

I then had terrible back labour because he was OP. OMG, I had some back labour before with the girls but nothing like this. If my doula and dh and MWs weren't there to press on my lower back and do hip squeezes, I would NOT have been able to cope. I was shocked by the intensity of the pain. I thought of another mama here in our DDC who birthed her baby OP and hats off to her for coping. I know we all have different experiences, but man...

I got to a good roaring 8 c.m. and my MW kept dangling the AROM carrot. Finally I felt like I had had enough waiting and trying to let my body do it alone. I just wanted this baby to be born! The MW broke my water at 10:55 a.m., about 6 hrs from the time I had my first ctx, about 5 hrs from when active labour started.

When she broke my water, baby finally came all the way down, pushed the last bit of cervix out of the way... everything just went super intense, super fast. Dh said I scared him with my intensity. Once I got the urge to push I flipped from my side up on to hands and knees. I pushed like an animal, roaring through it all. I just wanted to get this baby out ASAP!!! I felt like I was going to rip in half at the ring of fire, and while I'm screaming that and shouting HELP ME! my MW calmly says, "Yes it feels like that, and you just have to push into that feeling." I knew it was true, but I had to get a psychological foothold to do it, you know? "Okay," I said, and then roared him down. "Where is he?" "His head is starting to come out, feel for yourself." OMG that was the coolest thing, once I felt his little head sticking out of my vagina, I pushed the rest of him out - head, neck - relief, shoulders, he just slid all out in one push while I was on my hands and knees at 11:00 a.m.

I flipped onto my back. He was quite blue for awhile after he had been born because of how quickly he came into the world. They placed him right on my belly. He did a little crying and squaking but the MWs wanted more so they gave him some good rubs and heel flicks. I was sooo happy to see him and sooo relieved it was over. He pinked up nicely after they took him, did some stuff, and then placed him back skin-to-skin with me. I birthed the placenta at 11:05 a.m. with no fuss.

Today I have such soreness in my muscles (arms, sides, legs, neck) from labour. Advil is my friend! Also for the afterpains too... which I didn't have that much of with the girls. This time? Holy cow.

I only had a one degree tear and a couple of little lacerations around my clitoris... I opted to just close my legs for a week and get lots of rest rather than have them stitch it.

The girls are thrilled - well, esp. dd1. She is over the moon for her little brother and won't stop loving on him. Dd2 is taking the transition with some difficulty. She had been regressing back to wetting herself frequently even though she's potty trained for eons now. She had been crying a lot and very clingy. She's also 2.5 so she's going through all the 2/3 year old stuff being independent, argumentative, etc. Poor little munchkin. Dh and I are doing our best to give her lots of TLC. She'll be okay.

I thank the Lord my mother is here to take the kids during the day, and dh is off work until Aug 9 to mother me while I nurse and take care of ds. He nurses a lot so I've been very sleep deprived in the first 24 hrs, also due to the fact that I only slept 3 hrs before he was born.

I'm really loving on him and dh and I are quite amazed at how ds looks sooo much like dh's late father, who died a month before dd2 was born. It's eerie. We feel so blessed.

Off to figure out uploading pics...
ETA- hope this works
http://s808.photobucket.com/home/wis...view=slideshow

wash.gif  Me  + bikenew.gif Dh =  broc1.gif  Dd1(9 yrs) + hearts.gif  Dd2(6 yrs) and blowkiss.gif Ds(3.5 yrs)
#22 of 25 Old 07-21-2010, 05:28 PM

Gorgeous pics! Your boy is CUTE and chubby too! How big was he? He looks bigger than my almost 3-week old!

My babe was born posterior but I had no back pain...I don't know why, but I'm grateful--it sounds really tough. You worked hard, Mama--now rest as much as you can and enjoy your new family!

I was super sore too for the first few days! And I know, 3rd-baby afterpains are KILLER. It felt like labour all over again.

Marja: consensual-living, unschooling, piano-teaching, doula and mom to 3 creative, independent people:
DD, 8, DS, 6, and Baby DS born July 1, 2010 Married to DH for 10 years!
#23 of 25 Old 07-21-2010, 05:56 PM

Congrats!! Glad the midwives made it and all worked out! I hear you on the back labor - had it with dd and again this time, though dd2 turned at the end, whereas I delivered dd1 OP. My doula was a savior when it came to the back pain. She had all sorts of hip squeezes and moves that took away some of the intensity...ooh, but STILL...back labor is TOUGH! I don't know any other kind of labor, as ds was an emergency c-section with no time for labor, but shoosh!

Happy healing! Keeping my legs closed this week, too! Doula brought me Arnica 200c and I swear it cured me - if you are into homeopathics, might be worth a try!

Congrats!
#24 of 25 Old 07-22-2010, 12:13 AM - Thread Starter

Marja - baby was 8 lbs 3 oz. I love chubby babies! It's so amazing that your baby was OP but you had no back pain. I wonder why that was. I wonder if you have more room there from your pelvis to spine - ? Thanks, I am resting as I can and still judging what's too much. It's tough with the 5 y.o. and 2.5 y.o. demanding and requiring so much attention. I feel guilty because I can't give them what they're used to... OTOH, it's good for them and part of growing pains, I guess. Good for them meaning it's tough, but they can handle it, and it won't last forever. I hear you on the killer afterpains being like labour. I've been taking 2 extra strength tylenol and 2 extra strength advil every 4 hrs, like I did when I had a third degree tear with dd1. And this is just for the afterpains!!! Crazy. Oh well. I keep telling myself this is the last time I'm going to go through this anyway.

Livelovelaugh - thanks! It's great to hear your doula had all kinds of techniques to help with that back labour! Hmm thanks for reminding about arnica - I have some downstairs. I'm taking soooo many pills right now as it is: my meds, blessed thistle and fenugreek 3 pills 2x/day (should be 3x/day), multivitamin, Vit D, EPO, plus advil and tylenol. Maybe I'll wait and see what my MW says on Fri when she checks me and if I need some extra support, I'll take it. Anyway, hope the arnica is helping you!

#25 of 25 Old 07-22-2010, 10:41 AM

Surfacing - congrats! I love your birth story and can totally relate to so many of the things you wrote! The surreal pain, the ring of fire, the afterpains (I was on the same Advil/ES Tylenol regimen!), the muscle soreness (I didn't even think I still had abdominal muscles after all the pregnancy stretching, but they sure were noticeable after the birth!), the comments of the midwife to "push into the pain".

Haha, we even have the exact same receiving blankets as you!

Congrats again, and your pictures, and of course your sweet son, are lovely!

A + J = Miriam (November 2006) and Raymond (June 2010)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page