Nyjah's Amazing Homebirth - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-22-2010, 12:58 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've been too entirely smitten with my son (and ordered to bedrest by midwives - bedroom upstairs and computer downstairs, so no online time) to write a post. Here goes...

I started having what felt like stronger-than-BH-contractions 3 am Monday July 12th. They were too sporadic, so I tried to get rest instead. By 6:30 am, I told DH he was staying home from work. I had a great morning of food, yoga, and relaxation.

We had a scheduled midwife checkup set for 4 pm, and called at 12:40 to say we might not make it. Their 2 pm was in labor, so we opted to take her appointment. By 1:40 pm, contractions were more regular and the midwife decided to jet over. She brought the office acupuncturist since their student was attending the other birth. When they arrived, I was rocking on the porch and they suggested I go for a walk to get things moving. I had resolved that if I was told to walk, then I would go into the eye of the storm and have one good long walk. DD was in the stroller, my sister-in-law watched her, so DH could support me. When we got back to the house, the midwives were going to peel out for their own walk, and opted to check my dilation at the last minute. 9.5 cm!!!

They set up our labor tub quickly and prepared for the pushing stage. The water was heavenly! DD even helped me through a few contractions. She's only 23 months, so I was impressed with her presence. The midwives asked me to pee, and I had to get out of the tub to try on the toilet. Once I was out, I decided to move to my futon. I got on my hands and knees and after 6-10 contractions, our beautiful boy was born. Such a calm yet powerful experience!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-22-2010, 01:00 AM - Thread Starter

Nyjah Makonnen
7.5 lbs. 20.5 inches.
Born July 12th.
Old 07-22-2010, 01:07 AM

Congratulations All the best you and baby!

Lana: Mama to Mya Oct/2007 and Ainsley July/2010
Old 07-22-2010, 01:31 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Congratulations, what a lovely birth story. Enjoy your baby! It's nice to hear you had a calm yet powerful experience. It's great to start motherhood as a mother of two with this experience.

wash.gif  Me  + bikenew.gif Dh =  broc1.gif  Dd1(9 yrs) + hearts.gif  Dd2(6 yrs) and blowkiss.gif Ds(3.5 yrs)
Old 07-22-2010, 02:32 AM

congrats! How do you pronounce his name? My boy was born on the 12th too
Old 07-22-2010, 02:57 AM

You sound so happy and peaceful- congratulations mama and welcome to baby Nyjah!

JENNY, 38~ preschool teacher, birth activist, sun worshiper, singer, married for 17 years and mom to

Karan 15, Fiona 12, Bodhi 10, Bjorn 6, Devon 3, and Robin Taylor born January 16th!

Old 07-22-2010, 04:16 PM

Congratulations! What a lovely birth. His name is so cool!

Marja: consensual-living, unschooling, piano-teaching, doula and mom to 3 creative, independent people:
DD, 8, DS, 6, and Baby DS born July 1, 2010 Married to DH for 10 years!
Old 07-23-2010, 12:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by majazama View Post
congrats! How do you pronounce his name? My boy was born on the 12th too
His name is pronounced Nigh-Ja Mah-coe-nin. We can't really find a name meaning on it, and I honestly don't know where we came across the name in the first place, but it was one of the only boy names that we both liked. "Makonnen" is Amharic for noble, regal, or king...and honors a very special connection DH and I have to Ethiopia after travels there. Nyjah certainly is the little king of our family!

July 12th, great day to have a baby!
Old 07-23-2010, 04:03 PM

Congrats on your wonderful birth and welcome Nyjah, what a great name!

Paula, mama to DS M (7/2010) sleepytime.gif and Watson (1998) dog2.gif and welcoming baby Penny (8/1/2013) babyf.gif

User Tag List