Postpartum swelling - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 07-22-2010, 04:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My right foot and both hands are swollen to an uncomfortable level, incl. carpal tunnel tingling even in the foot! My foot started about a week before ds was born and it's only increased since (and added hands).

WTH??? Anybody else? Any suggestions for reducing the swelling? It's soooo uncomfortable. TIA

wash.gif  Me  + bikenew.gif Dh =  broc1.gif  Dd1(9 yrs) + hearts.gif  Dd2(6 yrs) and blowkiss.gif Ds(3.5 yrs)
#2 of 8 Old 07-22-2010, 04:56 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Not sure how far post partum you are, but it took mine a full three days to subside. I had major swelling in my feet and ankles for about 4 weeks before birth. Nothing really helped me with keeping it down except when I slept at night. A reclined position for that many hours is hard to do any other time though.

married to DH for eleven years Mama to dd1 1/30/07 and dd2 7/12/10
#3 of 8 Old 07-23-2010, 11:23 AM

If you're facing hot weather, an ice bath for your foot might help. Have you tried the homeopathic remedy Arnica Montana? I used it for my bottom's postpartum swelling, but it is a great remedy for any bruising and swelling.
#4 of 8 Old 07-23-2010, 12:29 PM

I'm not sure if this is what you're experiencing...but this is the first time I've still had swelling PP...and my second was a summer baby too. My MW said it was my body trying to get rid of the excess fluids from pregnancy and that bfing would aggravate it as well.

The remedy is to not sit for very long or be on your feet for very long. Thats hard with my two boys here...but I try to lay down with the baby whenever I can for all the obvious reasons. And not to just sit with her for a long time. I'm definitely up and around more with three kiddos than I was with my other two...and I even have husband home more this time??? hmmm?

Hopefully it passes with rest. I'm also trying to stay out of the heat as much as possible.

homeschooling, breastfeeding, cosleeping mama to ds1(7), ds2(3) and dd(3 months)
#5 of 8 Old 07-23-2010, 01:19 PM

I ran into my midwife today and asked her about this myself. She said it can take up to 2 weeks before it goes away and it is normal. So maybe two more weeks of this fun stuff.
#6 of 8 Old 07-23-2010, 03:17 PM

although my preg-carpal tunel has subsided since giving birth, the top of my feet between my big toe and its neighboring toe is still extremely sore and tight-swollen feeling. At 14 days post-partum its only slightly starting to feel better.

I think the swelling must take a bit to go down fully. Summer heat probably doesn't help much.
#7 of 8 Old 07-23-2010, 07:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Thanks all for weighing in. The MWs came today and said I should be lying down more... I think all the sitting I'm doing (to nurse, read, go on MDC , talk to the kids, etc) aggravates it. I should also stop doing stuff and get back to taking it easy. OTOH, my MW also said I should try to take a short walk or something, just to get my circulation going in a healthy way, but also rest rest rest rest otherwise. My job is to make breastmilk and nurse baby now (day 3).

Drink lots of water, eat watermelon and cucumber. She too said my milk coming in and the engorgement affects not just breast tissue. I am sweating and peeing a lot so I can see that's related to dumping some of the extra fluids.

I had been drinking herbal teas a lot but think I'd better just switch to water. Drinking lots of water today plus lying down lots with my feet up and napping has seemed to help some.

Interestingly, lying down flat seems to help reduce my afterpains.

wash.gif  Me  + bikenew.gif Dh =  broc1.gif  Dd1(9 yrs) + hearts.gif  Dd2(6 yrs) and blowkiss.gif Ds(3.5 yrs)
#8 of 8 Old 07-24-2010, 07:49 PM

yep that's been me the last nearly 3 weeks. rest and sitting and walking (though my walking consists of walking the house with the babe or strolling about in the back yard with my 3 year old).

I have been making iced tea with raspberry leaf or Mothers Milk...its cool and just weak and watered down enough that I feel I'm getting herbal and plain water benefits!

Haven't heard about watermelon or cucumber helping...but I love both those things!!! I only notice swelling too if I've been sitting or it's really hot. Also the PP sweating has just started for me....ugh!

homeschooling, breastfeeding, cosleeping mama to ds1(7), ds2(3) and dd(3 months)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page