*~* Postpartum Mama's Weekly Chat July 25 - 31 *~* - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 61 Old 07-25-2010, 01:36 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
No one is excluded! Everyone is welcome to join in this thread, those waiting and those in the postpartum already.

ETA - previous thread:
http://www.mothering.com/discussions....php?t=1239779

wash.gif  Me  + bikenew.gif Dh =  broc1.gif  Dd1(9 yrs) + hearts.gif  Dd2(6 yrs) and blowkiss.gif Ds(3.5 yrs)
#2 of 61 Old 07-25-2010, 01:50 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thank you Surfacing! Been tempted to start a new thread for this but never got to it. Also been meaning to contribute to this thread...but my hands are usually full!

SAHM to DD 03/08 & DD 06/10 made with love with my DP

#3 of 61 Old 07-25-2010, 02:30 AM - Thread Starter

NAK

Fair enough Mamakaikai.

MJB - Wow, your oversupply sounds reaaly intense. Do you know kellymom?
http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...-mastitis.html
http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...gorgement.html
Just in case something helps. It does sound like you know how to manage your situation pretty well, you've found something that works for you.

Welsh - I sooooo hear you on the pain feeling like it's too much, wanting to quit but not wanting to quit. I may have said this before, but it was really about 2 months before I enjoyed nursing dd2, and it got easier from there. Somebody mentioned Lansinoh - seriously, it makes a difference, give it a try. I used breast shells too to keep fabric off my sore nipples and they made a HUGE difference when I had to wear a bra and shirt around other people. They also had little air holes in them - I wore them with lansinoh and they helped me maintain my sanity. I'm sorry you're having such a hard time right now.

terra-pip - It's hard when baby cries a lot and is up at night. It won't last forever, of course, but while we have to get through it, it is *so* hard. I hope you have some good help during the day so you can get some sleep.

Somegirl - sounds like you are transitioning okay. That's good!

Mellybelly - I hear you on the dread and exhaustion. I had that really badly with dd1. You just have to get through one hour at a time, sometimes.

tarasattva - what you were saying about having forgotten the challenges of the early days of nursing, even if you successfully bfed in the past - so true! We totally have that going on here too. Some scabs on my nipples, sore boobs and nipples. When baby latches on, now that my milk is in, I get this very intense burning sensation when he is first latched on. OWWW. It usually gets better as he nurses but not always, so I'm fiddling around with positioning and trying not to make everything a fight. When I do what the MWs tell me, he and I seem to fight at the breast. So, as I was telling dh today, I am not going to win any awards for ideal positions at the breast, but it seems to work for us so there!

Also it's so frustrating when you get conflicting bfing advice. The MWs advocate firmly latching baby on while public health nurses encourage letting baby self-attach. !?!?!? I am just filtering all the messages and looking at my baby and taking what I know and finding what works for us.

AFM - Tomorrow one of my MWs comes for the day 5 visit. She missed the birth because she was at a conference. I found out from the student midwife who was at my birth, that my primary MW and the back up who were there, they said she shouldn't do delayed cord clamping like I requested. I had written down a few things on a small piece of paper just before the birth ("Birth Wishes") and the student later said it was good that I had written it down, so she could show them. We had a long talk later (the student and I) about the risks and benefits of cord clamping. Again, I am very surprised by how medically minded my MWs are. It has been an interesting learning experience, let me tell you.

I had the day 4 tears today. I cried because I was not pregnant anymore and everything we have been through has just been so intense. I cried because I was exhausted. I cried, felt sorry for myself for the efforts and frustrations faced over the past 5 yrs since we've had dd1. I cried, wishing I could be mothered. I cried because of the stresses of adapting to change (although I AM very happy!). Good thing the MWs reminded me that with the milk comes the tears, and it's normal, so I'm not worried about my mood and pathologizing it, you know?

That's enough rambling for me. Gotta get baby back to bed and get myself settled.

It's been tough at night because dd2 comes from her bed to mine, where I am with the newborn. She still wants me to snuggle with her, but I can't if I'm sitting up nursing. And when I am falling asleep I want to face the NB. She has been spending a lot of time crying and occassionally I have blocks of time during the day when I can give her some TLC and attention, but it's really hard to give her undivided attention. Sigh. We just do the best we can and it will pass. In the meantime she and dd1 are really loving their new baby brother. They helped give him a bath today, and it was really cute.

wash.gif  Me  + bikenew.gif Dh =  broc1.gif  Dd1(9 yrs) + hearts.gif  Dd2(6 yrs) and blowkiss.gif Ds(3.5 yrs)
#4 of 61 Old 07-25-2010, 03:25 AM

It's hard to believe my babe is almost a month old already! We're both doing well. She has gained a pound, now weighs 11lbs, is holding her head up really well, and is cooing more

My postpartum healing has been incredibly different this time around. For the better, woo hoo! Possible TMI, I had a third degree tear this time, and it has healed so much better that I ever expected. I have no residual pain since about 2 weeks postpartum. The stitches still have not all fallen out but some have and what is still there is not irritating or pulling/pinching. Bleeding is done, and was minimal by 2 weeks. I have no pain in my hips or pelvic bone. Last time I could barely go for a walk it hurt so much. Have I mentioned how much I adore my chiro?!

That said, sometime in the first week the pain and discomfort were plain overwhelming. Between the third degree tear (I broke my bum bum!!), the exhaustion, the awful cold I had with coughing and sneezing - I had no idea that I needed bum muscle to cough and sneeze...and then I slipped on water on the floor and broke a stitch (and they say that doesn't happen) , my milk coming in and the massive oversupply engorgement, nipple pain, being covered in pee-poo-blood-sourmilk-spitup-sweat and feeling insanely unattractive while everyone took pictures (why do they do that?!) oh and feeling like I was being mean and rejecting my toddler yet also feeling lonely because dp stayed away with dd1 so I could get peace and quiet and rest so I seemed to always be alone...at one point I just cried like a baby saying I wanted my mama! Wahhh!! But I was really crying at mourning the fact that I've never had that mama since my mom is emotionally unstable and socially inept so I couldn't have that now even if I wanted. I was a mess but only in brief moment of postpartum emotional chaos.

These are the overwhelming kinds of feelings that tipped me over the edge last time because I did not know what to do with them. This time around I feel like I can embrace the intensity of motherhood emotions and ride the wave. And I feel really normal. Like having a baby is the most normal thing to do. Extraordinary, but normal.

So much to share! I still find it amazing, giving birth. It's so weird how we can perform this amazing act and still everyone around us carries on like normal having completely arbitrary discussions. Sometimes I just want to whisper: ''I made a baby. I gave birth to her. I make milk for her and keep her alive with it. That is phenomenal. And what to make for dinner really is very trivial to be honest!'' But that would sound conceited. But I am just so amazed at how we women create life.

#5 of 61 Old 07-25-2010, 03:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfacing View Post

I had the day 4 tears today. I cried because I was not pregnant anymore and everything we have been through has just been so intense. I cried because I was exhausted. I cried, felt sorry for myself for the efforts and frustrations faced over the past 5 yrs since we've had dd1. I cried, wishing I could be mothered. I cried because of the stresses of adapting to change (although I AM very happy!). Good thing the MWs reminded me that with the milk comes the tears, and it's normal, so I'm not worried about my mood and pathologizing it, you know?
I just wrote about this in my post above. I get it. Be gentle with yourself! As much as I wanted a mother I could not have, I am happy I acknowledged my feelings and let them come through me. The only way out is through. Let your feelings flow, like everything else as you said with the milk come the tears. I think it is possible to gain strength from letting the feelings go through and out as opposed to stopping the flow and bottling it up to keep within. And remember too that you are a mother, that caring and wise woman you are looking for is alive within yourself too as a source of comfort. Though I completely get that sometimes we really do just need someone to take over and care for us.

#6 of 61 Old 07-25-2010, 05:54 AM

Hi mamas! I'm doing surprisingly well, all things considered. The blues are really slight so far this time. I was a total mess with my dd after birth, but I'm still waiting for the waterworks to kick in here this time. I've had a mini-cry and one real crying episode so far. Maybe I'll get off lucky, ha.

Anyhow, c/s. Yuck. I can't f'ing BELIEVE women voluntarily ask for c/s. It's so aweful! Natural childbirth beats a c/s hands down any day. The pain from natural childbirth is nothing compared to the crap/pain you get put through with a c/s. So, anyone out there still worried if she can deal with the pain, trust me. You can. A c/s is just putting off the pain for a later date and for a much longer duration. So not worth it.

Bladder - And what's also wierd is that during pregnancy I was up all the time to pee a few teaspoons, but now I can't feel my bladder at all. I have to constantly remind myself to use the bathroom. That seems to be related to the c/s, too. I'm happy to report, though, that my pelvic floor is still very much alive and well despite all the pushing and that I didn't get hemorroids this time either. So no sore backside and no peeing in my panties. Yeah!

Castor oil - it's also great the day after birth. I was really nervous about my first bowel movement because my belly was so sore, but I was still moving easy the day after.

Homebirth - I really wish we didn't have to go the c/s route, but oh well. I really hated being cramped into a room with three other women and having to labor there while they chatted away and had visitors. (The hospital was overflowing with laboring mamas that day so we got kicked out of our L&D room Sat. morning) It was NOT cool. I cried over that, and a nurse told me that the breakfast room was empty and that I could go in there to be undisturbed. Also, post-partum would have been better at home, I'm sure. Although the hospital is really great - I mean, couples come in from all over the state to have their babies there - I didn't really like being cared for by a team. I couldn't remember anybody's name. I had no idea who was in charge of what. There were so many organizational glitches because of the unexpected number of babies born that week ( 25 in a matter of a few days). AND my cell phone got stolen. None of this would have happened at home. I could have labored in peace at home. My mw would have been in charge of me and my baby. There would have been no hassles with roommates' non-stop chatter (before and after birth) or moms too worried about their babies to open a freaking window in the heat (no AC or ventilator in the hospital). And definitely no thieves at home either.

But, you can't always get what you want . . . .

hide.gif Me 41, single mom to modifiedartist.gifdd 4/2001 and demon.gif ds 7/17/2010

#7 of 61 Old 07-25-2010, 09:46 AM

Terrilein- that sounds horrible. I would definitely have a hard time laboring with other women! I hope your recovery gets easier!

3 weeks here Jack is a very mellow baby so far he is a big eater which makes it surprising that I got mastitis so early and it sure was persistent. I have had it before and have been about to nurse and rest through it but after a few days I called the doctor and went on abx. I have to take them 4 times a day 1 hour before food or 2 hours after. It is way too much for me to remember, then I am trying to get a probiotic in there too to try to avoid the yeasties.

The girls are adapting well they adore the little one. DD#2 has decided that she is sleeping in her bed all night long which has been a nice treat. I don't know how long it will last but I am enjoying it while I have it. She usually comes in to snuggle around 6:30 and she is really proud of herself that she is sleeping alone.

My recovery has been smooth sailing aside form the emotional ups and downs. Sometimes I need to remind myself that we are still on a new journey and that it's ok to not have things all figured out yet. I feel bad that the kids are watching too much TV or that I haven't really cooked anything decent lately but everyone seems happy and that needs to be enough right now.

Tracy, Wifey to Jeff . Mama to Maya-Papaya 7/04 and Carolina Bean-a 5/07 and Jack 7/4/10!!
#8 of 61 Old 07-25-2010, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamakaikai View Post
I still find it amazing, giving birth. It's so weird how we can perform this amazing act and still everyone around us carries on like normal having completely arbitrary discussions. Sometimes I just want to whisper: ''I made a baby. I gave birth to her. I make milk for her and keep her alive with it. That is phenomenal. And what to make for dinner really is very trivial to be honest!'' But that would sound conceited. But I am just so amazed at how we women create life.
I KNOW! I still, at 3.5 weeks PP, feel this way sometimes. I feel like I'm in this bubble, and people just don't get that I'm not ready to come out yet! Don't come over here and discuss your son's school issues with me--I honestly cannot care right now! I'm starting to come out of the bubble once in a while, bit by bit, but then I need to get back in to recharge.

Terrilein, birthing in a room full of women would be so difficult. That's the exact opposite of what birthing womnen need!

Baby had another day of what I assume is a growth spurt--is that normal? The first one was on Monday, the second one on Saturday. Monday's lasted 24 hours, during which he barely slept and wasn't happy unless he was nursing. Next day all was well. Then yesterday (saturday) he did it again, only this time it only lasted from about 11 AM-9 PM. Then he only woke up twice to nurse in the night.

I've been getting a lot of reading time in with all this nursing! I read 3 novels in less than a week.

Marja: consensual-living, unschooling, piano-teaching, doula and mom to 3 creative, independent people:
DD, 8, DS, 6, and Baby DS born July 1, 2010 Married to DH for 10 years!
#9 of 61 Old 07-25-2010, 12:43 PM

I wish I could read while nursing! I need both hands to keep this lo on the breast or else his latch slips and he ends up munching on the end of my nipple. Ouch! And it seems like Fritz is constantly in a growth spurt. He eats at least every two hours. And he's very needy for mama's numnums, but he doesn't just comfort suckle. I know I have plenty of milk. And he does spit up some when he burps, but it doesn't seem like he's losing his whole meal. I'm not sure. And some nights I hardly get any sleep and then last night he let me sleep like 7 hours. I hope my mw can come by tomorrow so we can discuss it.
Otherwise I'm not very happy with my babymoon at home. I can't tell you how many loads of laundry I've had to do since I got home yesterday. And then we had to go shopping yesterday because there was nothing fresh to eat at home (there are a few items in the freezer, but I wasn't up to feeding it most of this pg so there's not much). DS needed more clothes and burp cloths and we needed to get those items, too. All in all, we were a good 6 hours shopping yesterday - exactly a week after my c/s. My belly and back hurt. I should be in bed and not shopping and doing chores! But my dd is NOT being cooperative in the least and DP is being just plain clueless. To top it off, he went to visit his mom this afternoon. She was so kind and did freezer feeding for us and he went to pick up the goods. But he made sure to plan his visit so that she would cook lunch for him. Guess he cooked lunch for me? Right. Nobody. I made pancakes for dd, her friend and me from an instant mix. Other than a few olives I've had nothing to eat today. But I'm not even hungry now. I'm too exhausted to eat. And I have to organize and pack for dd's week long circus camp that starts tomorrow.

hide.gif Me 41, single mom to modifiedartist.gifdd 4/2001 and demon.gif ds 7/17/2010

#10 of 61 Old 07-25-2010, 03:33 PM

Stretch marks are breaking my heart! And they came in the last week...I had none with DS...now my big PP belly is a mess. Why can't I just be grateful for my miraculous creation, lovely infant, happy family. I'm so vain. I f***ing hate how I look. I can't believe there's nothing that can be done. Waaaaaaaaah.

~Janie~ | DH | DS: '05. - Playful Parenting/UP. Baby girl July 2010
#11 of 61 Old 07-25-2010, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Jones View Post
Stretch marks are breaking my heart! And they came in the last week...I had none with DS...now my big PP belly is a mess. Why can't I just be grateful for my miraculous creation, lovely infant, happy family. I'm so vain. I f***ing hate how I look. I can't believe there's nothing that can be done. Waaaaaaaaah.
Hang in there, mama! I got some new ones but I know that they'll fade and only be visible to me and those who know I wear them. They look bad when they're all purpley, but that will change soon enough.

#12 of 61 Old 07-25-2010, 05:17 PM

j jones: I hear you. I can't believe the damage number three did to my belly. It's a flabby, abdominal separated, stretch marks all around my belly button mess. AND I always have really horrible hair issues after birth and while nursing. Boobs are big. Clothes don't fit. I bought some larger sized tees for PP but didn't think to get some pants to wear...never can be sure what size to get. And the last thing I'm feeling like doing is shopping. ugh.

Someone mentioned feeling unattractive and people taking pics. I had the same thoughts last night. Everyone is so "oh you're beautiful" when you're a big glowing preggo mom and the congrats are everywhere. And then everyone is "oh she's beautiful" when the baby comes and the congrats are everywhere. But theres no congrats for being a sweaty, stinky, letting your appearance go, blurry eyed, sour milk smelling leaky PP woman wearing baggy maternity pants is there? Noo!!!

You feel sorta lost in mix.

homeschooling, breastfeeding, cosleeping mama to ds1(7), ds2(3) and dd(3 months)
#13 of 61 Old 07-25-2010, 06:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mamakaikai - your post resonates with me so much. I really like how you are embracing the feelings, accepting them and yourself. It encourages me to do the same. Thanks for sharing your words of wisdom here with us. I also really get what you mean about the wonder around creating life, and everything else seeming so BANAL.

Terrilein - so good to hear an update from you! I was just thinking of you this morning wondering how you are doing. I'm sorry to hear you had such a crappy experience at the hospital and are having a tough time now.

Papayamom - I enjoyed reading your reflections also on the journey and not having everything figured out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by terra-pip View Post
Someone mentioned feeling unattractive and people taking pics. I had the same thoughts last night. Everyone is so "oh you're beautiful" when you're a big glowing preggo mom and the congrats are everywhere. And then everyone is "oh she's beautiful" when the baby comes and the congrats are everywhere. But theres no congrats for being a sweaty, stinky, letting your appearance go, blurry eyed, sour milk smelling leaky PP woman wearing baggy maternity pants is there? Noo!!!

You feel sorta lost in mix.
I so hear you on not knowing what kind of clothes/sizes to wear/get, and feeling flabby, stretch mark-y, etc.

I dare say we do ourselves a favour to try to exercise ourselves back to health and back into shape, but we may not be able to erase the changes that occured to our bodies from childbearing. And that's okay. Look at women all around the world. Mothers aren't supposed to look like size 3 supermodels.

On that note, anybody's dh *NOT* go ga-ga after them in their postpartum body, even though they have gigantic boobs? I strangely feel in the mood but haven't felt a blip on the screen from dh. Not that this is different from the usual. I feel like we devoted so much of ourselves to the children these past few years that we haven't had the time or energy for nookies, and we haven't made it a priority. I think it's time to get some kind of sex life back after this kid and I want to put in the effort to get a fit body back. I kind of let myself go to hell after the two kids but because I didn't want to put in all that hard work to get fit, only to have it go to pot again.

AFM - my doula visited this morning which was great, she's so much fun and great with the kids. She brought photos of the birth, a birth story, muffins, donuts, a book for the baby, and a small package of postpartum herbal bath salts. Nice eh? It was nice to talk with her. She said she and the MWs were amazed by how calm and centered I was during the birth (where is the "can I take a bow" smiley?) and that I knew exactly what I needed. :sheepish That it seemed like I was doing hypnobirthing type stuff (even though I didn't do it) -- I just told her that I was applying deep relaxation/meditation stuff that I learned years ago to cope with panic and anxiety attacks. So wonderful how transferrable those skills are! I had really good support at the birth that allowed me to just go within and release and surrender myself to the birth process.

The MW was here and again checked on my leg. Since only my right leg felt swollen and foot tingly they were worried about deep vein thrombosis possibly. Jolly. Some of the symptoms are missing but I'm advised to page them if certain things show up. It could very well be nothing, just normal edema, but they think it's weird that it's only on the right side.

I am tired out from the drama here at home with the kids. I am sooo tired and ds has wanted to nurse all day. I feel like he gulped up all the lovely milk I had when it came in, and now we're back to having to work some more to keep up with his demand. (I was nodding when I read your post Mummy Marja). Dd1 has been cross with me because she always wants to hold ds and I'm busy nursing him. When she came into the room this afternoon and saw me nursing him, she said, "AGAIN???" I said, "Yes, when I told you all babies do at first is nurse, sleep, pee, poo and cry, I wasn't joking. That's really all they do! Baby needs to nurse all the time!" She finally seemed to get it.

Dd2 is WHINING CONSTANTLY. She was already starting the Tough 2's/3's thing before the baby came, and now it's all day long. I feel like tearing my hair out, but I know she's having a hard time, poor little kid. It's hard to be patient though when I'm tired, sleep deprived, and feeling like I am fighting a cold. Yuck. I don't want to get sick right now.

#14 of 61 Old 07-26-2010, 04:08 AM - Thread Starter

Just logging in again to moan that I am so tired. Today was a rough day. We had a lot of visitors which was nice, but I think ds and I both got overstimulated. Ugh. Back to bed to nurse, I hear him stirring.

#15 of 61 Old 07-26-2010, 10:27 AM

I'm so excited about today becaue I get to go somewhere! WOOT WOOT! Yep, feeling a little house-bound. I've been outside a little but mostly it's too hot and sunny to be out there with DS.

Baby has a midwife check-up today--the first one in 2 weeks. So I'm excited to see her again and find out how much DS has gained. I bet it's lots. It better be, he must have something to show for all this nursing! I will have all 3 kids with me. It'll be 2 hours in the van, I hope Babe is ok. So far he has been pretty content in his carseat.

Surfacing, did you get any sleep?

Marja: consensual-living, unschooling, piano-teaching, doula and mom to 3 creative, independent people:
DD, 8, DS, 6, and Baby DS born July 1, 2010 Married to DH for 10 years!
#16 of 61 Old 07-26-2010, 10:35 AM

Ug, Surfacing, I totally hear you on the exhaustion front. DS#2 has been taking multiple hours to go back to sleep after middle-of-the-night feedings. My only saving grace is that DS#1 is going to daycare 2 days per week, which allows me to get some sleep when DS#2 sleeps on those days.

I can't believe it's been over a week already. DS's umbilical cord fell off the other day and it made me sad, like the last vestige of pregnancy is gone. As miserable as I was toward the end of pregnancy, I'm already finding myself missing it. A whole bunch of people around me are pregnant and I'm totally jealous of all of them. Sigh...

Other than that, things are good around here. The dread is subsiding (but comes back when I get super super tired), and I'm feeling better physically, but I do find myself having much less patience with DS#1, who is in a total push-the-boundaries phase right now (he's 2.5). Honestly, I don't really know what to do with him - there are so few things that I really put my foot down on, but I don't know how to "put my foot down" effectively. He seems to think it's hilarious when I get angry, and time outs seem to do nothing. So he totally just keeps doing what he's doing, and it's driving me crazy. Fortunately, most of this behavior happens around dinner time, so at least I don't have to put up with it for too long... Ug.
#17 of 61 Old 07-26-2010, 01:40 PM

Husband is starting up work again. It was nice to have him around most of the day the past nearly 3 weeks. It helped to be able to lay down and nap/nurse or sleep in later in the mornings and have help with the house and meals etc. So why do I still feel so tired even though I had his help these past weeks?

I'm starting to really feel the irritation with my older boys rising at times too. My oldest (7) is on the spectrum and I'm tryng to be patient...but he's been getting too much of an attitude lately. And just flat out not listening and saying no to our simple requests. I have to mention that he has been more helpful with his 3 year old brother, though. Now my 3 year old? He alternates between sweet I love the baby moods to annoying behavior. I was having a hard time with him getting ready for bed the other night...baby was crying because I set her down and I was rushing son. "can I beat up the baby?" he asks. whoa! So he's starting to show some of those emotions...which is good i can talk to him about it.

And I swear it's not my imagination that he really needs something now! the second I sit down to nurse etc.

I felt the tears wanting to come lately because I'm feeling sort of like a half a#% mother to all three.

homeschooling, breastfeeding, cosleeping mama to ds1(7), ds2(3) and dd(3 months)
#18 of 61 Old 07-26-2010, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terra-pip View Post
I felt the tears wanting to come lately because I'm feeling sort of like a half a#% mother to all three.
Me too.
I'm 10 days pp and don't know if I've got the pp blues or if I just feel overwhelmed with the painful nursing, not being there for DS like I was before, tiredness etc.

We had the first visit from the health visitor today who comes at 10 days pp when the midwives have usually discharged you.
DD has lost 7% of her birthweight and is now 6lbs6oz.
DS had lost alot pp too but had regained it all by 14 days.
The HV said that I shouldn't worry because she's peeing lots, is content, not fussy, very alert etc etc.
She watched me nurse and thought latch looked good (it is starting to feel better), babe is gulping down the milk, not fussing at the breast.
I'm nursing every 2-3 hrs, letting her sleep one longer stretch at night. I woke her to nurse after nearly 5 hrs last night because I was so full and uncomfortable.
Also she's only doing 1-2 bms per day and they're a dark green colour. Normal, liquidy texture but green?
Again HV said don't worry, maybe her digestive system is slow to get going.
She's going to come back on Friday to weigh again and then in a week's time.

I need to see some weight gain and seedy yellow poops to know that all is well!!!!!

Emma - Welsh Wife to DH and Mummy to DS, Lloyd 13/08/07 and Cerys 15/07/10
Living in Russia
#19 of 61 Old 07-26-2010, 03:27 PM

WAHH! I can't wait to cross over to this side

But I am getting a lot out of lurking on this thread. Thanks for the wisdom, mommas! I will try and remember some of it for when I get there with the new little one.

Happy and in love with my family!
#20 of 61 Old 07-26-2010, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by welsh View Post
Also she's only doing 1-2 bms per day and they're a dark green colour. Normal, liquidy texture but green?
Sounds like foremilk/hindmilk issues. Green poop in bf infants can mean she's getting too much foremilk. Maybe you could keep her on one breast longer ragther than switch her to the other breast. Or express a bit of the milk before she latches on so that she gets more of the hindmilk. I'd try that and see if her poops turn yellow. Is she super gassy?

#21 of 61 Old 07-26-2010, 04:45 PM

We have survived the first two weeks! Of course, I have had so much support from my family and friends and church that I feel really great! My DH was able to take the first week off, and then last week my mom, or sisters, or brothers came by for a few hours every afternoon to give my DS (he'll be 2 tomorrow! ) some distraction (and give me a break from trying to temper his overwhelming love towards his sister, he wants to touch her ALL THE TIME!). This week, however, I'm on my own. I know that if things get really hairy help is only a phone call away, but I'm pretty sure we will be fine.

Phaedra is doing great. She actually SLEEPS! Not all night yet, but she gives me like three-four hours at a time. My DS NEVER slept (still fights it-- "sleep is for quitters" must be his motto or something) so it was actually kind of nerve wracking to have a baby that was perfectly content to take a three hour nap in the morning, eat, be awake for a bit, then go back to sleep for a while.

Surfacing- I totally get not wanting to get back in shape only to have all your effort fly out the window by getting pregnant again. That is EXACTLY what happened to me between my two kids. I must have been back to my ideal weight for a week before I started gaining weight for the pregnancy (I gained 50+ lbs and it took a while to get back to feeling like Me again) And I am definitely in the mood, but DH is freaked that it is too soon. I told him he has until this weekend to get over it, and then here I come

I'm in the process of encapsulating my placenta, wish me luck on that ladies! I wanted to do it with DS1 but what with my milk not coming in for the first two weeks and being exhausted and new to everything it just never happened. It has been steamed and is now cooling so I can slice it. I'm nervous about dehydrating it in the oven, I don't want to burn it! I'll just have to keep a close watch on it.

Life is feeling normal again. Not like it used to, of course, but it no longer feels so hectic? Chaotic? I'm not sure if either is quite the word I'm looking for. Even though all the help those first two weeks was wonderful, knowing that it is just going to be me and my babies (the giant 2 yo one and the tiny 2 week old one) all day, and then just us with DH tonight, it just feels so right. Someone said that I must feel like my babymoon is ending because I'm no longer going to be getting the help every day, but I almost feel like it is just beginning because it is going to just be the four of us. Life is good.

Hey, Babe  +  Me  =  Little Man 07-27-08  &  the Storm Sprite 07-11-10  computergeek2.gif    
#22 of 61 Old 07-26-2010, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamakaikai View Post
Sounds like foremilk/hindmilk issues. Green poop in bf infants can mean she's getting too much foremilk. Maybe you could keep her on one breast longer ragther than switch her to the other breast. Or express a bit of the milk before she latches on so that she gets more of the hindmilk. I'd try that and see if her poops turn yellow. Is she super gassy?
I'm nursing on only side per feeding. Maybe 1 x per day she takes the 2nd breast. On average, I'd say she's nursing for 30 minutes.
She was really gassy to begin with and it was causing alot of discomfort. Now, not as much but I can still often hear the gas in her belly and she does some farts that rival her Fathers' in volume!

She did a larger, explosive BM earlier while I was upstairs with DS. Acc to MIL it was mustardy but she dealt with it so I didn't get the chance to inspect!!

Spugly Roo - I too am really happy about our family now being 4. It feels so right to me!

Emma - Welsh Wife to DH and Mummy to DS, Lloyd 13/08/07 and Cerys 15/07/10
Living in Russia
#23 of 61 Old 07-26-2010, 09:27 PM

welsh - just to second what mamakaikai said, I too had fore/hind milk issues w/ my first and was feeding the same way that it sounds like you are (mostly one breast per feeding). For us the issue didn't resolve until we went to block feeding - feed off one breast for 3 hours no matter how many feeds that encompasses - the link explains it better - you'll have to play with the timeframe to figure out what is right for you guys.

Could be something else entirely, but i thought I would throw this out there since I struggled with it for way too long before I figured out/accepted that this is what our problem was.

Me (36), my DH (37), our DD (12/07), and our new DS (7/7/10)
#24 of 61 Old 07-27-2010, 01:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mummy marja View Post
I KNOW! I still, at 3.5 weeks PP, feel this way sometimes. I feel like I'm in this bubble, and people just don't get that I'm not ready to come out yet! Don't come over here and discuss your son's school issues with me--I honestly cannot care right now! I'm starting to come out of the bubble once in a while, bit by bit, but then I need to get back in to recharge.
Yes yes yes, completely! I just can't care about certain things right now! At 4 weeks postpartum I still find myself retreating to my bed with the babe to recharge. I wonder when this will improve. I am finding the toddler hurricane is complete sensory overload!

#25 of 61 Old 07-27-2010, 02:51 AM

Had another follow-up dr's appointment today, DS is already up past his birth weight at 8 days old! Last week he was down 9%.

And we've gotten better at nursing in a chair (and just in general) so the visit was much less stressful than the previous ones.

His cord stump came off on Saturday, so last night I took him in the tub with me. He seemed to really like the water but hated getting out, he gets cold so quickly.

I'm finally starting to move around a little better myself which is also cheering me up. We walked around our yard today and introduced DS to the next-door neighbor (the one who threw the shower for me).

MIL arrives in 2 days! Hopefully she will help out and make it easier for DH to get some rest.

Hope everyone is getting some rest.

Paula, mama to DS M (7/2010) sleepytime.gif and Watson (1998) dog2.gif and welcoming baby Penny (8/1/2013) babyf.gif

#26 of 61 Old 07-27-2010, 05:30 AM

Oh my goodness. I'm feeling like such a baby right now. I've got mastitis. I felt that my left breast was getting sore today but just kept nursing on that side as much as I could. Tonight I got in the shower to get some hot water and do some massage. Got out and just instantly felt horrible. I nursed ds and laid down wrapped in the blanket. I swear it's 90* in my room but I was freezing. After getting ds4 to bed I tried to get warm with nothing. So I jumped back in the shower and got nice and warn. Maybe too warm...now I can't cool off or sleep because of the pain. . I'm nearly about to wake up ds to nurse him. Ahhhh...I hate this!

Aimee Blessed Momma to 4 amazing boys, P ~ 9 H ~ 7 J ~ 4 and B ~ 1.  Happily married to D Living my almost dream life on an urban homestead, hoping for our forever land to find us soon!

#27 of 61 Old 07-27-2010, 11:10 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Sorry Mama2dc...mastitis sounds awful! Hope you feel better soon. What is the treatment for that?

We are doing ok over here. DS is 15 days old! I can't believe how fast this is all going! We are finally back up to birthweight and gaining, so I feel like I can take a breath and not worry so much about how much he's getting when breastfeeding. Breastfeeding is going a bit better- I have my third visit with the lactation consultant tomorrow- so far we've worked on our latch and positioning issues and things have gotten better slowly. DS still has a big problem with my right breast, he just freaks out at it most of the time. I love my LC and going to see her is helping, but it's frustrating the way she can get him to nurse soooo easily and when I get home it's often such a struggle! ARGH. But things ARE getting better...I know there will be a day when we just sit down and pop in the boob and everyone's happy! Someday soon I hope.

Cloth diapering is going great for us! How about everyone else???

I like the prefolds a lot more than I thought I would, so that's great! We've only had one big poopy blowout and it wasn't that bad. We use pockets at night so no fumbling with snappis etc., and my favourites of those are size small monkey doodles. I like rumparooz one size pockets but they are still a bit too big and we had a leaky one last night. DH is all about the prefolds, I was a bit worried he would think I was crazy for even trying them, but he loves a challenge and is a master with them already.

I thought we got too much stuff...too many diapers, too many onesies, sleepers, etc.- but NOPE. We are changing DS a bunch of times everyday, mostly because we get milk everywhere. But he also gets sweaty and on occasion he manages to pee all over his clothes when we're changing his diaper too. The laundry from one tiny person is astounding! EGAD! But I like doing laundry so it's all good.

Ok, here's a question- what the heck are the weird little chunks in BF poo??? How can there be tiny chunks in there when he's just eating liquid?

All in all, I'm feeling pretty good. Still could use some more rest as I'm still really out of it for night-time feedings, but other than that I'm all healed up- my stitches and 2nd degree tear felt pretty normal on day 5 PP and the rest of my body is doing great. When I was weighed 1 day PP I had lost over 20 LBS! That's about 9 lbs of baby, and the midwives were commenting on how big and healthy my placenta was- it weighed almost 900 grams. Is that really big? They seemed to think so.

As of today I've lost almost 30 LBS! I can't believe it- it must have been a lot of water weight. My total weight gain for this pregnancy was just over 40 lbs total and led to lots of grief from my doc. I can't believe I'm 2 weeks pp and I only have about 10 lbs to lose. It's all weird flab, but I hope it'll be easy to get rid of. Next week I'm going to start really slow at the gym and when I feel more comfortable taking the baby out and about I want to try mom and baby yoga. And I want to get back in the pool as soon as I stop bleeding. We'll see if I can do all that...that might be a really tall order.

How is everyone else's PP weight shedding? Anyone exercising yet?

Me dreads.gif 32, loving him fuzmalesling.gif33, more each day. Rad boy, jog.gif 7/12/10 & Cool gal baby.gif  4/28/13

I'm a biracial, atheist, humanist, pacifist, anarchist, bibliophile, and educator. Rainbow.gifgd.gifwinner.jpgnocirc.gif

#28 of 61 Old 07-27-2010, 11:57 AM

expat - so glad to hear that the weight is coming off so easy for you! It must do wonders for you ego after all the grief your doc put you through. It just goes to show that your body knows what it's doing when baking babies.
And those little chunks or seeds are just undigested bits of milk, if I remember correctly. Totally normal.
As for me, I lost 22 lbs (exacgtly 10 kg) in the first week, too. I put on a lot of weight, though, and still need to lose almost 20 kg (approx. 44 lbs). I'll be happy though if I can lose another 10 kg within the month (water and crap), and then I can take my time losing the last 10 kg. I was told, too, that I had a big placenta which kinda makes sense since I had a big baby to provide for. I didn't get to see it though, nor do I know how much it weighed. Didn't really need to, though.

#29 of 61 Old 07-27-2010, 12:21 PM

Hey mamas! Glad to catch up here.

Things are still going well here...settling into routines and enjoying summer. The humidity FINALLY let up (albeit briefly, I'm sure), so Maggie and I went for our first stroll this morning. I'm trying to do yoga, and hopefully can get more walks in.

Expat, I have only lost about 15 lbs so far, but I'm only up on my pre-preg weight by about 12 lbs. Of course I started this pregnancy up 10lbs from the last one, and I was already, er, voluptuous. So I'm hoping to lose about 40 lbs from where I am now. I'm hoping that BF'ing a 19 mo and a newborn will help. BUT I CAN'T STOP EATING! I'm not going to diet until I reach the 6-week mark, since that's what I keep seeing recommended to insure milk and for healing, but I am anxious to start eating better. I'm eating waaaay too much sugar. I'm going to start Weight Watchers on August 16...it worked really well last time, and they have a good breastfeeding plan. Until then, mindful eating and movement when I can.

As for cloth diapering, we're using prefolds with Maggie and they are SO MUCH EASIER than stuffing the pockets! We still have lots of blowouts, so each cover maybe lasts 2-3 changes if we're lucky, but I just do a load of laundry every other day and it seems to work out. I have the small FuzziBunz, and she's big enough now that they'd probably fit, but I'm going to wait because I don't love stuffing diapers, and I still have to stuff DS's BumGenius...

Baby cries...gotta go.
#30 of 61 Old 07-27-2010, 01:29 PM

Hey everyone!

We're about 3.5 weeks postpartum today. I feel really great, but still have some off again/on again bleeding. The midwife gave me some herbs to help with it and that seems to help. I want to start running again-I've signed up for a half marathon at the beginning of January and my training should start mid-August. I'm going to start going for little walk runs over the next few weeks and then start the training. I need a goal!

I'm about 12 lbs. under my prepregnancy weight but still would like to lose another 20 lbs. or so. My three pregnancies put me with extra to start, so now I need to commit to getting the rest off while I have some momentum.

We were able to get Stella's US passport today without any trouble which is huge! Last week we got her birth certificate and declaration of birth abroad so all that is left is her Brazilian passport and I can plan a trip back to the U.S. I've got a pretty good list going of things I want for the baby and I'm anxious to show her off to family!

I haven't started cloth diapering yet...I really, really need to. She just SCREAMS when wet so I've been too chicken to start. My mom brought a ton of prefolds and fitteds so there really is NO REASON not to start. She just had a huge blowout so maybe that is the motivation I need.

I'm wondering if anyone is doing anything in particular to try and avoid postpartum depression. I definitely had it with my other two kids but I feel good this time. I have help at home and sleep okay so I think that helps. I'm also all over the fish oil and vitamin B. I think the great weather is helping too. So far so good-only one morning of tears!

Mama to Noah and Sophie and Stella 7/4/ 2010

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page