Josalyn Rose born 7/11 - VBAC attempt gone awry - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 07-26-2010, 04:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think I am ready to tell our story.

I had latent labor starting the Tues previous(7/6) on and off all week. Nothing too bad but I was most miserable at night so I was tired. Finally Sat morning at 4am, it started up again and I knew it was different. The contrax stayed at 8 minutes apart no matter what I did/did not do. I spent the day at home with DH and Doula going with the flow - eating, drinking, walking, laying down, etc. At about 6pm we were out walking and my contrax were every 2-3 minutes consistently so we decided to pack up and head to the hospital.

We arrived at shift change and I got a RN eager to assist in my VBAC and plans for a natural birth. She was super awesome throughout the entire ordeal! I had to do the 20 minute strip so I got in bed and things got bad then. I was so miserable laying down but then could not get back up either. Dr got there around 830 and I was at 8-9, he broke my water but then I had some "carrot-like" decels so he did an amnio-fusion. He noted some concern over my full bladder and they attempted to cath me in order to empty it but nothing came out. (Concern #1) I started to feel pushy at about 915 and they let me have at it. I had nice 2 minute breaks between and felt like "I can do this!" but I also could not feel her moving down. Once in a while I could feel my body pushing her down but progress was very slow. About an hour into pushing the nurse noted lots of bloody urine, not abnormal but the copious amounts made the dr concerned. (concern #2) Right at this point m contrax went haywire - no breaks, one on top of each other like pit contrax, the blood in my urine got worse, and baby had MAJOR decels. I literally felt like I was being ripped apart inside and told the Dr so. He said let's do an epidural to see if it relaxes things a bit. Epi in, I felt better but none of the other concerns stopped. Dr called for ER csec. Josalyn was out in no less than 10 minutes, I'd say like 6-7 minutes. Her apgars were 8 and 9! Thank goodness!

I think we are good but then the Dr says "heather , there are some problems" I had a uterine rupture that he believes was minimized because baby had an arm through the hole as if to block me from bleeding out. I also had my bladder rupture Dr believes because the 2 were adhered to each other. At the time of his original incision he could see the baby through my bladder. So I have a uterine rupture and a bladder with a tear and an incision. Urologist is paged stat to come in at 1 in the morning. He comes in to make his repairs and he feels confident I will heal well. I missed the first 2 hours of her life but she was cuddled in her dad's arms for all that time and I think that bonding is important too. I was able to thank my L&D nurse for all her hard work and support.

I am 2 weeks pp now and still have a cath which may come out today - think "you can pee pee" thoughts please! LOL! I am seriously DONE with the cath but I also want to heal appropriately as not to have a life time of problems.

Baby Josalyn is as sweet as can be. She has been especially gentle on me as I heal. I am so thankful she is healthy and I will be healthy again.

~Heather, loving my DH and DS with my whole heart. Our newest addition DD July '10
#2 of 16 Old 07-26-2010, 04:23 PM

I am so glad you have your baby and she is healthy. Sorry things went so crappy for you though. Hope you heal fast.

carlie~33 DP~40 mom to Cadan Riley 7/22/04, Kailin Naiya 8/05/06,, Ronen Blake12/13/08 , Rosen Blythe 7/26/10.
#3 of 16 Old 07-26-2010, 05:06 PM

Wishing you complete healing and peace!

Congrats and welcome Josalyn!

Happy and in love with my family!
#4 of 16 Old 07-26-2010, 05:46 PM

DDCC-

Thank you for sharing your story. I'm attempting a VBAC, due Aug. 1, and I find your strength inspiring.

Heathyr hang.gifBlessed Catholic Wife to DHwheelchair.gif Devoted Mama to DS1 biglaugh.gif(3/17/08) and DS2blowkiss.gif (8/5/2010)familybed1.gifcd.giflactivist.gifribboncesarean.gifx2 
#5 of 16 Old 07-26-2010, 06:00 PM

Congrats!!!

Sounds like a very eventful delivery, glad you both are doing so well!
#6 of 16 Old 07-26-2010, 06:06 PM

Sorry to hear things didn't go as smoothly as one would hope. I hope everything heals up very quickly and perfectly, and I'm so happy for your family that your little one is here!

Wife to a wonderful dh and mom to four beautiful kiddos, dd (3/04):, ds1 (1/06), ds2 (10/08), and ds3 (7/10)
#7 of 16 Old 07-26-2010, 06:17 PM

DDCC...
Thank you for your birth story! You are very inspiring. I'm sorry that you had a UR and a bladder rupture. I'm glad everyone made it through, though! I hope you heal perfectly and get a great babymoon!

Wife to dh and mommy to dd1 (3/07), ds (1/10), and dd2 (any day now)!

#8 of 16 Old 07-26-2010, 08:18 PM

congrats on your little girl!
Thank god CS are available when they are needed! Heal up
#9 of 16 Old 07-26-2010, 09:01 PM

congratulations mama! welcome Josalyn. I'm sorry your VBAC went awry, but so thankful you both are safe and sound. Hope you heal quickly!

mama to dd 2x Our sweet boy is here! 7/27
#10 of 16 Old 07-26-2010, 09:53 PM

congrats on your baby girl and i hope you have a speedy and complete recovery
#11 of 16 Old 07-26-2010, 10:54 PM

I commend you on your bright spirit! Best wishes, and may you get well soon.

~Janie~ | DH | DS: '05. - Playful Parenting/UP. Baby girl July 2010
#12 of 16 Old 07-27-2010, 02:55 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
DDCC...

I'm so sorry, mama. I'm glad she is fine and you are recovering. May your recovery, both physical and emotional, be swift and complete.

HeatherB ~ mama to 3 wonderful boys:  reading.gif 03/02; modifiedartist.gif09/04; sleepytime.gif 09/07 - and Eliana, babygirl.gif 11/13/10!  
Founder of Houston Birth Alternatives: Be Informed, Encouraged, Supported birth support group and aspiring midwife.

#13 of 16 Old 07-27-2010, 03:25 AM

Congrats on your beautiful healthy girl!

I'm so sorry that the birth went the way it did, wishing you a full and speedy recovery.

Paula, mama to DS M (7/2010) sleepytime.gif and Watson (1998) dog2.gif and welcoming baby Penny (8/1/2013) babyf.gif

#14 of 16 Old 07-27-2010, 03:32 AM

Wow, thank you for sharing your story. I am sorry that happened. I am thankful that you and your LO are ok! Do you have any idea why your bladder and uterus were adhered? How interesting (and possibly life saving) that your baby had her finger in the dike, so to speak!

Cheering you on for a good pee!!

Alicia, wife to an loving and faithful DH, and mama to three fantastic though nutty children (cs, then an HBAC, then a VBAC!!).
#15 of 16 Old 07-27-2010, 11:42 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hapi2help View Post
I am 2 weeks pp now and still have a cath which may come out today - think "you can pee pee" thoughts please! LOL! I am seriously DONE with the cath but I also want to heal appropriately as not to have a life time of problems.

Baby Josalyn is as sweet as can be. She has been especially gentle on me as I heal. I am so thankful she is healthy and I will be healthy again.
I pray for your healing! Wow, what an ordeal you went through. What a positive attitude you have about things.

wash.gif  Me  + bikenew.gif Dh =  broc1.gif  Dd1(9 yrs) + hearts.gif  Dd2(6 yrs) and blowkiss.gif Ds(3.5 yrs)
#16 of 16 Old 07-27-2010, 11:51 PM

Congratulations on the birth of your baby girl!

My bladder was cut during my failed VBAC and VBA2C b/c it adhered to my uterus both times. I know what you mean about being ready to be rid of the cath! I HATED that thing. After the first time I felt normal within a day or so of the cath being gone but after the second time it took about a month before I felt totally normal. I have no problems now thank goodness.

I hope you continue to heal. Take care and enjoy your little newborn!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page