Mothering Forum banner

Wanna Help Name My Baby?

781 views 15 replies 11 participants last post by  somegirl99 
#1 ·
Okay, I'm stuck between a couple names I love. They both have "meaning" to me and my dh, and I keep seeing little signs that point to both!

Merit James
Leo Pascal

Any thoughts? Other names I really like are Jonas, Valentine, Alexander, and Daniel.

#3 ·
The only Merit I've known was a girl, so it seems like a feminine name to me. Barring that, I think it's a fine name!

I don't get the above references though! But it also makes me think of merit, like did he merit that gift. It probably doesn't have meaning to you, but I've always loved the name Merrick.

Leo is also a fine name!

Your other names can all have nicknames which you may be ok with. I don't like Valentine though.

Mostly, if you love the name and it feels right, go for it!
Good luck!

#5 ·
Thanks for the insights, ladies! I'd say my main reservation for each name is having to say good bye to the other.

I have considered the "merit badge" thing with Merit, and I can imagine folks thinking I've said "Garret" instead. So that's one strike against that name.

This is silly, but when I mentioned the name Leo to my mom (big mistake), she made it pretty clear that she wasn't a fan. So that sort of took a bit of the joy out of that name for me. But ultimately I don't care what she thinks.

My other kids are Veronica Marie, Charles (we call him Charlie) Philippe, and Julien Thomas. My husband's family is Swiss, so we've previously opted for names that work in French and English. I think Leo goes slightly better with out last name, but Merit doesn't sound bad with it, either.

I think dh has a preference for Leo, but he also likes both names and has sort of left the final decision to me. Dd likes Merit.

#8 ·
I think I like Leo better with the rest of your kids's names. Also, we needed to pick a name that was french too, and Merit just does not come out sounding french! But had we fallen in love with a nonfrench name we would have taken it anyways. So again, if you love the name, don't let it go!

#10 ·
I had a friend in high school named Merit, girl as well.

I like Leo Pascal, definitely fits in with your other kids' names well, and is obviously much more French sounding.

#13 ·
Well, dh and I talked about it again, and we've settled on Leo Pascal! It really was his favorite, and we think it just fits this baby perfectly. It's a load off for me because we did the "let's wait until we meet the baby" thing last time, and I still had a hard time choosing after birth. I found it stressful, and now I can better visualize my little guy. I think it will help me during labor to be able to call him by name.

Thanks for all the insights, again! It really helped.

#15 ·
Leo Pascal is a great sounding name!

I totally get you with 'let's wait and see him first thing''. We did this with both of our dd and could never settle on a name that looked like them. Even worse is that we learned that 2 years after her birth, dd1 looks nothing like she did as a newborn. I bet the same will be true for our newest dd. I would have loved to know this baby's name before her birth instead of a month after!

So glad you've figured it out! Now come on out into the world Leo!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.