Our wee Norah MacKenzie - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 20 Old 07-29-2010, 02:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Our wee lass was born on Sunday, 7/18 at 8:57 a.m. weighing in at 6 lb. 15 oz., 19" long. Quite the peanut!

I've been wanting to post forever, but somehow, we've been busy....

Her birth was amazing - 2 1/2 hours from my first contraction until she came out. I was out at a baby shower an hour from home, 1/2 hour from the hospital, the day before until about 7p.m. I'm sooo glad I did not go into labor there! I got a great night of sleep - the best in ages (I guess my body knew what was coming) - and woke up at 6:17 thinking, "Hmmmm." Uncomfortable crampiness in my lower ab, not sure if it was contractions, unhappy gut, etc. Within a minute, I realized I couldn't lie still, nor could I ignore the sensation - and was pretty sure it was a contraction.

I flipped onto my hands & knees to get ready to stand up, and felt a dribble down my leg. Definitely amniotic fluid, but just that little trickle. I woke DH, told him with a smile, "We're going to have a baby today!" "Are you sure it will be today?" "Yep. Definitely today." If only we had known!

I went downstairs, thinking I would just hang out, do some cleaning, see how things progressed. Right off the bat, contractions were maybe 5 minutes apart, tops. I was able to work through a couple of them, but by 6:45 knew that we needed to call the doc & babysitter. The doc called back by 7, said to come right in.

Not sure exactly the sequence, but at some point DH got up with DD, came downstairs, and I went back upstairs, knowing my level of pain would scare DD. I went & sat on the toilet for most of my contractions - most comfortable, and I was also expecting mess since I bled a lot with my first. Surprise - no blood this time! Anyways.

I think the sitter showed up around 7:45. By that time, Contractions were maybe...3? 2 minutes apart? At some point I was aware they were getting really intense, and I was having a hard time working my way through them. DH was downstairs the whole time, so I was by myself. Clearly this point was transition - I was sweating, hot, and also cold. And shaking, and working very, very, very hard to keep it together. I didn't lose it until the last ctx before we got in the car - I started screaming for DH to come upstairs, I just needed him there.

He walked my downstairs, we got into the car. I was in the back seat, on hands and knees, on a towel (good forsight!). We contemplated stopping twice to either recruit a local L&D nurse or one of our midwives along the way, but I had a really hard time with the idea of stopping the car - we had forward momentum, the hospital is only 1/2 hour away. About 10 min. from the hospital, my water broke fully. I had poor DH call the doc again & let her know that a) we would be coming in the ER entrance, and b) things were going FAST.

DH was amazing - he stayed very focused while driving, driving fast, keeping a hand on me & staying positive during contractions, timing contractions...I did not envy him!

Oh - and did I mention that I knew I needed to push? I resisted with everything I had, and never said a word to DH about it. I think being on my hands & knees helped a lot, which was my intent - keep pressure off the cervix, slow things down.

We got to the ER, I climbed out of the car and started walking barefoot with DH into the ER. This was funny - my mucous plug fell out as we walked in the entrance, and I was dripping amnio fluid the whole way. What could I do, right? I apologized, but only a little!

Into a wheelchair, whisked up to L&D where they had a room waiting for us, no check-in required. Thank God.

Doc checked me, said, "You can push any time, the baby is about an inch and a half away."

2 contractions later, I asked her, "An inch and a half from what?" "From your vaginal opening." I was shocked - I could not believe the babe's head was through my cervix already!

by this time, though, I was so damn tired, I didn't want to push, I had no urge to push. I wanted to be on a birthing stool, but was shaking so badly that it was all I could do to crawl onto the bed. I believe it was the huge adrenaline rush/crash of working through transition, then sustaining & stabilizing through the car-ride. I was really wiped out.

I ended up doing some coached pushing, which is just where I was at, too tired to work on my own. I really wanted to sleep. We got to the L&D room around 8:30, and she was born 27 minutes later, pushing about 25 of those minutes.

The other funny part? I roared this baby out. Seriously. With my first, I was very quiet when pushing. With this baby, I was so damn tired, that the only way I could get myself past that critical point was verbally. I knew it was cliche, but I couldn't help it. 3 roars, 2 big pushes to get head & body out. And what sweet relief - our 2nd little girl, perfect as can be!

I'm recovering great - the bleeding has stopped, no tearing at all, and our darling Norah is sleeping quite well at night.

I would not wish a 2 1/2 hour labor on any first time mama...but I'm thrilled that we made it to the hospital, and that I did not have to deliver in the ER.

Love 'n hugs to you all!
#2 of 20 Old 07-29-2010, 02:43 PM

Wow, what an awesome birth story! Congrats to you mama!

Natashacd.gifafro.jpg - wife to Mr. Nicholes, mom to the Cellist(13) the Ladybug(4) and the Twizzlers (2)

#3 of 20 Old 07-29-2010, 02:57 PM

Congratulations! What a great story!

#4 of 20 Old 07-29-2010, 03:23 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Oh so happy for you!!! Congrats! The bit about walking into the ER made me LOL

Loving mama to Aden (8/5/2010) and DSD (15).
#5 of 20 Old 07-29-2010, 04:20 PM

Awesome birth story........congratulations.

Lana: Mama to Mya Oct/2007 and Ainsley July/2010
#6 of 20 Old 07-29-2010, 05:20 PM

Love it! Thanks for sharing.

Happily married to my sweet DH with two precious girls (12/08) and (8/10) and a crazy puppy dog. Expecting blessing #3 around 12/10.

#7 of 20 Old 07-29-2010, 05:49 PM

What a great story, thank you for sharing. Congrats and welcome Norah!!

Paula, mama to DS M (7/2010) sleepytime.gif and Watson (1998) dog2.gif and welcoming baby Penny (8/1/2013) babyf.gif

#8 of 20 Old 07-29-2010, 06:17 PM

Wow, what a fast and furious birth! Congratulations! Welcome to the world, little Norah!

Wife to a wonderful dh and mom to four beautiful kiddos, dd (3/04):, ds1 (1/06), ds2 (10/08), and ds3 (7/10)
#9 of 20 Old 07-29-2010, 06:51 PM

These uber-fast birth stories are seriously freaking me out, but you sound okay about it! Congratulations on your sweet little Norah!

Amy (34): mommy to DD1 (11/07) and DD2 (7/10), wife, wohm, and wannabe suburban homesteader.
#10 of 20 Old 07-29-2010, 07:04 PM

Congratulations!!!
Beautiful name! We had a peanut too, 6lbs 14, quite a suprise....

Emma - Welsh Wife to DH and Mummy to DS, Lloyd 13/08/07 and Cerys 15/07/10
Living in Russia
#11 of 20 Old 07-29-2010, 09:25 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Congratulations! And no, it's not a cliche. Some births really are roaring births.

wash.gif  Me  + bikenew.gif Dh =  broc1.gif  Dd1(9 yrs) + hearts.gif  Dd2(6 yrs) and blowkiss.gif Ds(3.5 yrs)
#12 of 20 Old 07-29-2010, 10:21 PM

Congrats! I cannot imagine such a short labor after the two marathons that I've had.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfacing View Post
Congratulations! And no, it's not a cliche. Some births really are roaring births.
I roared my baby out too Four whole hours of roaring

Amy, Army wife living in S. Korea, mama to my inverted t c/s baby 04.05.08 and my VBAC with inverted t baby 07.24.10
#13 of 20 Old 07-30-2010, 10:11 AM

Congratulations, mama!
#14 of 20 Old 07-30-2010, 01:13 PM

Congratulations on your sweet baby girl!

I hope that my labor goes exactly like yours!

Catholic homeschooling mom of two daughters and four sons... baby Mark born on 8/27/10. Kidney Disease Awareness
#15 of 20 Old 07-30-2010, 06:45 PM

Congratulations! My little one born 2 weeks ago is named Nora, too!
#16 of 20 Old 08-02-2010, 10:11 PM

Welcome baby Norah!

DS is 4!
DD 8/10/10!
#17 of 20 Old 08-02-2010, 10:21 PM

Trust me a 2 1/2 labor is just as crappy as a long one...lol It is always those last 2-3 hours that suck regardless how long it was from start to finish. Congrats and at least you didn't have to wait through lots of warm up contractions!
I had the shakes with my first but none of my other three..I wonder if it is a first time thing?
Either way fun story!

carlie~33 DP~40 mom to Cadan Riley 7/22/04, Kailin Naiya 8/05/06,, Ronen Blake12/13/08 , Rosen Blythe 7/26/10.
#18 of 20 Old 08-06-2010, 04:33 PM

Incredible Congratulations!!!!!!
And I love her name too.

Cheryl, proud mama to Jackson... and a baby on the way!
#19 of 20 Old 08-17-2010, 12:35 AM

Oh Slgt!!! What a beautiful story!! Thanks for sharing! Congrats to you guys, and welcome to little Norah!
#20 of 20 Old 08-18-2010, 08:32 AM

It's sooo exciting! Thank you for sharing your birth story, congratulations!!!

"A baby will make love stronger, days shorter, nights longer, bank balance smaller, home happier, clothes dirty, the past forgotten, and the future worth living for." ~A.U.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page