Mothering Forum banner

So, in order to feed my son, I have to get sick too?

880 views 11 replies 11 participants last post by  Surfacing 
#1 ·
I think I have mastitis. I have a doctor appointment in a little while to confirm it but all the signs are there. Flulike symptoms, right breast in a vice grip...

It got so painful overnight I just couldn't nurse (we're still working on latching--he has a habit of popping on and off, wailing and freaking out if he doesn't get milk right away, etc.) I pumped and had my husband finger-feed. I know that's not the best way to deal but it's all I could manage.

Grumble.

#2 ·
You have a fever? I just got over a nasty case of mastitis. It was the absolute worse I've ever felt. I ran a fever of 103.6* for 24 hrs and then it finally broke after it took some ib profen. Then next day I still felt out of it we took the kids to the movies and my response time driving was delayed. I felt like part of my brain fried or something. But then then next day I was back among the living. My breast still was a tiny bit sore and I could feel the lump but no where near what it was. Hope it isn't mastitis for you!

#5 ·
Hey proto! If you haven't already, check out the breastfeeding forum. There's good advice over there. If I remember correctly hot showers/warm compresses were called for, as well as some other things that I don't remember. Hope it gets better for you soon!

#6 ·
I order an herbal mastitis tincture (Wishgarden herbs) to have on hand so I can start taking it at first symptoms- it helps. I've learned to catch them early. Grated raw potato on the boob, cabbage leaves on the boob, and pumping that boob can all help. Sorry!!

#7 ·
I've had mastitis and usually been able to resolve it quickly by going to bed...taking some motrin or tylenol and drinking a lot of water and just staying in bed and nursing and getting that breast as empty as possible. Warm compresses and working hard at that latch! Massaging just behind the swollen clogged part helps.

#8 ·
I had mastitis from Sunday night to Wednesday afternoon; then I went out yesterday and the sling apparently compressed my boob and I woke up with it AGAIN today. But thankfully the fever only lasted 12 hours this time. I'm so tired of lying in bed all achy and feverish. Hopefully I'm over it now. I got it once with my first and EIGHT times with my second but I thought I was being really proactive this time.
I went a day only nursing on the right and pumping the left and that's when I finally got the blocked duct on the left unclogged, and my nipple got to heal some. We're still working on latch too as the oversupply freaked her out (but my supply is under control now, I think).

#9 ·
Ohhh Proto that is ROUGH to be dealing with! My first was the worlds awesomest nursling, so I was so spoiled thinking it was that easy yk? My now 2yo had a terrible latch from day one and getting the hang of it was so hard! Is there anyone you can connect with IRL that can offer some sound nursing advice/tips/support? Mastitis is the WORST!

#11 ·
nak!

On the mend...thanks, everyone.

E's latch has improved tremendously, too--he's been able to nurse off both sides and I can feel the blockage resolving. I still feel crappy but it's more run-of-the mill ill than "worst flu ever," which was yesterday. My husband handled all the nighttime stuff last night except for feeding, which allowed me to rest and heal.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.