#1 of 9 Old 07-30-2010, 01:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Dagny
July 19th 7:33 a.m.
8 pounds 3 ounces, 19.5 inches

born at 41 weeks gestation

(Congratulations to everyone I've missed the past 2 weeks!!!)

I went into labor at 6:30 p.m. the previous night while at a restaurant. Contractions were about 7 minutes apart and easily manageable pain-wise. I ate a huge meal. Bad idea in hindsight. My water broke at 11:00 p.m. and the contractions got more intense at that point. They got closer together, about 5 minutes apart. I hadn't felt the baby move since my water broke, so I started getting nervous. I also wanted to get to my final birth destination so I could get comfortable with my surroundings. We were admitted to the hospital at 1:30 a.m. We beat the midwife to the hospital. I hated being on the monitors for the first 20 minutes. The belt wasn't registering my contractions and the baby wasn't moving, so they made me stay on even longer. I was nauseous and vomited up my huge dinner. When the midwife arrived, I told her I was going to die if they made me stay lying on my back with those belts any longer. She was flexible and let me sit on my ball and used a hand held doppler while watching my contractions. She also checked me. I was only 3-4 cm dilated. I was totally pissed that I had already been in labor for 7 hours and had no progress from the previous week's check up. I started to question why I wanted a hospital birth. I wanted to be at home where people weren't poking me. I wished I hadn't made the rookie mistake of coming to the hospital so early.

I got in the shower. The midwife didn't want me getting into the tub when I wasn't very far along. I vomited a lot again. But after a while, the shower wasn't cutting it. I begged her to let me in the tub. She agreed. The tub helped as long as I laid on my side, not my back. My body hated the back-lying position. I was exhausted at that point. However, outward signs showed little increase in progress. My contractions were quite irregular: either seemingly on top of each other or as long as 5 minutes apart. I was also dealing with the pain quite well. I used low, rhythmic moaning sounds. No tense, high-pitched screaming. I used controlled, deep breathing. No hyperventilating. I don't think anyone thought I was having this baby any time soon.

I started dozing off between contractions when they were farther apart. My head would slip under the water since I was on my side and I would wake up inhaling water. My poor husband had to hold my head above water for hours while I was in the tub contracting and dozing!

I decided that the tub wasn't cutting it anymore. The doula suggested walking between contractions and slow-dancing during contractions. Again, I don't think anyone thought I was very far along and wanted to speed things up. I agreed. Walking between contractions was nice. But I got exhausted quickly. My body hates losing sleep, so I decided to get into a side-lying position in bed. I knew that upright positions would help labor get more intense, but I just couldn't do it.

When I was back in bed, apparently my husband asked the midwife to check me. She refused thinking I wasn't very far along and didn't think it would help to check. My contractions were still irregular and seemingly not very intense to the outsider. The whole time, though, I was thinking about giving up. I thought about the epidural. I thought about asking for a C-section. I wondered why I ever wanted a natural birth. I thought the idea of a natural birth was stupid. Why did I think that I could handle that level of pain? I must've been delusional when preparing for this birth. But my husband and doula spoke encouraging words through each contraction. Normally, I would've thought this was dumb. But their motivation really put me at ease. They told me I was doing such a great job. I started to believe them. I think they were silent for a contraction or two and I actually missed their praise.

After a while in bed, the midwife did another check. 8 cm! All without my contractions ever really getting regular. I knew what was ahead though: transition. I knew it would get more intense and I knew I wouldn't be able to doze off in between contractions because they'd be so intense. But I also knew it would be the shortest part of labor. But apparently, my body doesn't play by the stages of labor rules! After 8 cm, my contractions didn't really speed up, and only got slightly more intense. From the outside, they didn't seem intense at all, because I was totally in the zone with my pain management.

At about 7:00 a.m. or so, my upper leg in the side-lying position started to involuntarily "spasm." I had the urge to push! Wow! I asked for the midwife. I told her that I was having the urge to push, but I would not feel comfortable pushing without knowing whether or not I was complete. She said she understood exactly what I meant. It was such a relief that we communicated that. I was getting nervous about having to push the baby out, so having someone understand what I was going through helped so much. She checked. Complete! But with a small lip. However, she thought the lip was small enough that I could push through it.

I got on my hands and knees. The back of the bed was raised so I could drape my upper body over it. I pushed when I got the urge. However, I was pretty ineffective at pushing at first. The lip was gone after a few minutes. Then I started to get the hang of pushing. I'm so glad I practiced the chain breathing and positioning of my chin at my chest. That really made pushing go. Instead of letting the baby slip back after each push, I was able to make a lot of progress. The midwife even told me to slow down and only push with contractions. I didn't realize how fast I was trying to go! I was just in the zone and wanted my baby out! The ring of fire wasn't bad for me, actually. I think being on my knees helped that. The midwife called out, "We need a baby nurse in here!" The room started to buzz with activity, though I couldn't see any of it with my head mashed into the bed. I few more pushes (a total blur) and my baby was out. Only about 30 minutes of pushing total. No tearing. I had to climb over the cord and my beautiful baby was handed to me. She was born calm and alert. I am so lucky to have her.

I am grateful for my husband who made sure I didn't drown, let me squeeze his fingers for hours, spoke encouraging words, interpreted my cavewoman-speak to the rest of the birth team, and never left my side.

I am grateful for my doula, who brought me water, made my face cold, covered me or uncovered me, suggested positions, and though I had never met her before, made me feel at ease when I was scared.

I am grateful for my Bradley teacher for giving me all the tools I needed to have a natural childbirth.

I am grateful for the midwife for her amazing balance of medical knowledge and experience with natural childbirth.

And I'm grateful that I had a beautiful and healthy baby that makes me happy every day!
#2 of 9 Old 07-30-2010, 02:22 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
CONGRATS!! And thank you for sharing your story, especially the doubts you had along the way. It puts me at ease to hear of other mamas going through that and still having the birth they wanted. Enjoy your new little one!

Loving mama to Aden (8/5/2010) and DSD (15).
#3 of 9 Old 07-30-2010, 02:26 PM

Congratulations on your sweet Dagny!!

JENNY, 38~ preschool teacher, birth activist, sun worshiper, singer, married for 17 years and mom to

Karan 15, Fiona 12, Bodhi 10, Bjorn 6, Devon 3, and Robin Taylor born January 16th!

#4 of 9 Old 07-30-2010, 03:39 PM

congratulations! Cool name!
#5 of 9 Old 07-30-2010, 03:43 PM

Wow-- congratulations! And thanks for sharing your story in such detail. I'ts really good to hear these stories as we prepare.

#6 of 9 Old 07-30-2010, 04:17 PM

Congrats, I have learned that as soon as the moaning begins the end in near...lol Cussing means pushing is only moments away...lol

carlie~33 DP~40 mom to Cadan Riley 7/22/04, Kailin Naiya 8/05/06,, Ronen Blake12/13/08 , Rosen Blythe 7/26/10.
#7 of 9 Old 07-30-2010, 06:21 PM

Congrats mama, thanks for sharing your story. Welcome Dagny!

Paula, mama to DS M (7/2010) sleepytime.gif and Watson (1998) dog2.gif and welcoming baby Penny (8/1/2013) babyf.gif

#8 of 9 Old 08-02-2010, 12:49 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Congratulations on your lovely baby and working so hard during your labour!

wash.gif  Me  + bikenew.gif Dh =  broc1.gif  Dd1(9 yrs) + hearts.gif  Dd2(6 yrs) and blowkiss.gif Ds(3.5 yrs)
#9 of 9 Old 08-02-2010, 09:52 PM

Congrats! Thanks for sharing your story!

DS is 4!
DD 8/10/10!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page