Mothering Forum banner

Possibly overdue, frustrated...why not induce??

2K views 28 replies 21 participants last post by  coffeegirl 
#1 ·
I just posted this in the "still waiting!" thread.

I've had two due dates for most of my pregnancy now....Aug 4, which is the first one that we ditched, and July 30. Which was yesterday. So, she's either technically one day overdue or she's about to be due. I don't even know anymore.
I'm not having any regular contractions or loss of mucuos plug or anything like that.

I just want to know....how long is this going to go on?! I know yall can't answer that lol. This is my first baby. How common is it for them to come late? And what's the big deal with inducing? (why it's seen as being so undesirable). I know NOTHING about it except that since I want this baby here yesterday it seems like a good idea to me. I know yall must have some good reasons for not liking it though, so I'd like to learn more.

My OB hasn't mentioned it to me yet, btw.

See less See more
#2 ·
One more thing I'm wondering about...I've been reading some of these birth stories where the babies are given to the mamas and they latch on right away, etc. I don't think my milk has come in yet. I've been having a little tiny bit of colostrum coming out, on and off for the past two weeks or so, but that's it. So is it normal to not have my milk yet? Does a mom normally get it in time for the birth?

#4 ·
Up to 42 weeks is considered quite normal. (by 42 weeks I mean 2 weeks beyond your "due date" which is calculated for 40 weeks). Beyond can be okay too.

Induction immediately increases your risk of having undesirable birth interventions - epidural, episiotomy, c-section...all because you & your baby were not ready yet, and the contractions brought on by induction are much stronger.

The baby born by induction may not be ready to be born yet, therefore having health issues, needing medical intervention, and even long-term effects later in life.

Your milk - DON'T WORRY! Many women don't even get colostrum until a bit after the baby is born. Milk itself can take 3-7 days to come in. Your baby will be just fine on the tiny amounts of colostrum until your milk comes in.

#5 ·
With induction you risk having more interventions as your body isn't 100% ready. Also most of the time the more time the baby has to cook the better. The more weight they put on and such.

Your milk is not going to come in for a few days after the birth. It can still vary from mother to mother and how many babies you've had.

The last few days are the most frustrating. Try not to stress. While you wait try the fun foods that are said to start labor. Fresh pineapple, fried calamari, and spicy foods. Try to enjoy your last moments.

#6 ·
I would avoid induction if at all possible! It really seems like a slippery slope--one that leads to epidural because the contractions are too harsh and too intense to withstand on their own, "failure to progress" because often the baby isn't ready to come out and so isn't properly engaged in the birth canal, which keeps him or her from descending, and ultimately leading to C-section, after which you will have to battle in successive pregnancies not to have more C-sections.

We need to trust our bodies to do what is right and move when the time is ready, which is something that mainstream birth culture these days absolutely does not do!

I know it is annoying to hear, but like PP said, try to enjoy these last days, rest, watch movies, read, or whatever, because things are going to change radically once that baby comes!

Good luck!

#7 ·
DDCC-

I had a legit medical induction, but let me tell you that I would NEVER EVER EVER choose that. I'd happily be pregnant to 43 weeks to avoid it ever again.

Pitocin sucks. I made it through about five hours of pitocin contractions after my water broke (which is when it got intense) before I was BEGGING for the epidural. I mean, in between contractions I still knew I couldn't do it.

Pitocin sucks. Sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks.

I know some people have had pitocin inductions that were fast and easy...but seriously, it sucks. Just say no if you have the choice!

#8 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Luke's mama View Post
I know it is annoying to hear, but like PP said, try to enjoy these last days, rest, watch movies, read, or whatever, because things are going to change radically once that baby comes!

Just wanted to add to this some things you can do to pass the time - book lunch dates/outings with friends - you know, things that you hope you'll have to cancel or just not show up for. Plan something for every day for the next week or two...have something in your calendar *besides* your due date.

#9 ·
Thanks for the replies!

I feel more reassured knowing that y'all even know what the heck I'm talking about! A couple of you mentioned that pitocin really sucks, and rhiOrion especially, that you had it and would NEVER do it again, etc. Is that mostly because of the pain and the intensity of the contractions? It pushed you into having an epidural when you didn't want one?

Personally I haven't closed the door on getting an epidural if I need one. But I do want to avoid anything that increases my risk of c-section. Mostly for the reason a pp stated-- this is just my first baby (God willing) and I don't want to have to fight to have the rest of them vaginally or, worse, just have c-section after c-section and tear apart my abdomen. My cousin had six c-sections (after the first, maybe unnecessary one) and completely ruined parts of her body. She's on chronic pain management now and it's just not pretty.

I'll try to take y'alls advice. I definitely will try the pineapple. Helps that I love fresh pineapple anyhow and I've been craving it.
That should help with the constipation too, right? Any other natural food-based ideas you ladies might have, bring them on by please!

#10 ·
Epidurals have their place - I'm not knocking them entirely - but they do increase your risk of having a c-section. Since you stop feeling certain things, you stop doing what your body is trying to tell you to do, thus making the birth more difficult since you aren't moving/ changing positions etc as needed.

#11 ·
DDCC - First pregnancies average 41 weeks 1 day according to a Harvard study of almost 10,000 women. Your body knows what it's doing and labor will start when your baby is ready to be born! Induction in a first-time mother all by itself, regardless of the medical necessity increases your risk for a c-section by 100% (so you have a 40% chance of a c-section instead of a 20% chance).

The colostrum you have now is exactly what your baby needs when it's born. Your milk won't come in until several days after the birth, but the baby needs all the colostrum you can make.

As the PPs said, just hang in there. I know it's hard, but these are the last days you and your husband will be a family of 2, so do some fun things together before the baby arrives!

#12 ·
I personally know 2 ladies due in July who were induced for going a few days over their "due date". One of them was induced with pitocin, yes she did get the epidural which she was planning on getting anyway so it wasn't the pain that was the problem in her case. The problem was, her body wasn't ready and her cervix was not ripe and did not dilate (pitocin only makes contractions strong, it does not guarantee that your cervix will dilate). She endured the pain of the strong contractions with the epidural but her baby didn't do so well with it's head bashing into her unripe cervix for the hours and hours they waited till they brought her in for a c-section. The baby ended up in NICU for 5 days because of the head trauma I guess, where it was "accidentally" circumcised without the parents consent.

The other woman I know who was induced started out with prostaglandin gel to ripen her cervix because she didn't want pitocin. She wanted a natural birth, without monitoring etc. Well, with any induction I guess it's standard procedure that they put you on the fetal monitor. She told me that the prostaglandin gel hyperstimulated her cervix (I think?) and the fetal monitor showed the baby going into distress, so c-section for her too.

If you are getting desperate (I know the feeling- I went twelve days "overdue"!) try natural induction methods before considering medical induction. Castor oil worked for me. Ask you doctor about the odds of c-section or instrumental delivery when induced- you'll be surprised at the numbers. At my doctor's office there was a chart on the wall that gave you a score related to your progress in dilation and effacement and how likely, if induced, it was that it would end in c-section or instrumental delivery. It was called the Bishop score. That scared me enough to wait it out as long as I did- my doctor wanted to induce me even with a really low Bishop score. Here is a link so you can see what your score would be if you know your dilation and effacement.

Just wait, your baby will thank you for it!

#13 ·
DDDC - you're not overdue, we need to keep working to change the terms. Even your earliest date is your EDD - your Estimated Due Date. Unfortunately people all think "due!" when it's merely the midpoint of a 4 week range. You are not "overdue" until 42 weeks, and even that is not necessarily any emergency.

We should be referring to a "birth month" instead. "When are you due?" "Sometime in late July or early August."

#14 ·
I'm in a similar situation. Baby was "due" yesterday, and my MW has already told me she wants to do a membrane sweep Thursday and then induce Friday if Baby isn't here yet. I don't really want to induce, but then, I don't see a lot of options. She's the crunchiest, most low-intervention practice we have in the region. I plan to try acupuncture first (Tuesday) to stimulate, and then the sweep Thursday and hope for the best. Also, my body hasn't been doing much to my cervix to get ready. I'm still at 1cm, which I was a whole month ago. But I am 70% effaced, and Baby has been very low and engaged for a month.

Not sure what else to try, though I'm drinking more RRL tea.

Also complicating matters is that my parents will be in town from Monday for about ten days, so if I really were allowed to go 42 weeks, they'd miss the baby entirely (they live far away and I typically only see them once a year -- this is the only time they could get off work). I don't believe in doing induction just for scheduling, and I haven't even told my MW about their visit -- I'm just going on her medical recommendations.

#15 ·
DDCC -

My own personal experience is DO NOT INDUCE IF YOU CAN AVOID IT. My first was induced and was so horrible compared to my second, which was all-natural.

First of all, it makes it hurt so much worse and then you tend to get pain drugs or an epidural which can slow down the labor, then they need to up the amount of induction drugs to get you going faster, then they give you more pain drugs because it hurts more, then the baby starts to react negatively (but with mommy's body going through so much stress do you blame baby?) and they start threatening or actually DO C-section because baby is at risk.

Baby wouldn't have been at risk if you weren't induced in the first place...

So please just be patient. Baby will not stay in forever. At this point, baby cannot even stay in longer than 2w4d without most people doing something about it.

But yeah, first baby is TOTALLY normal to go around 5 days past your due date (so for you, I would make that Aug. 9th)

#16 ·
The average is 41 weeks not 40. I have had a 40 weeker, 2 41 weekers and 1 42 weeker. All were healthy. Your time will come soon enough. Induction just leads to more risks then they are worth. Your time will come take a deep breath and relax.

#17 ·
DDCC

I would NOT induce for non-medical reasons. They induced me with my ds right around his EDD. It was wrong, he had neuro/digestive delays and was much smaller than my other kids. I had a horrible, awful labor and delivery. It was more painful just being 5 cm as it was having my cervix pulled back over my 8lb first child after 3 hours of pushing and a 25 hour labor. The pitocin is so strong it increases your risk of fetal distress and c-section.

I know it's hard at the end-really. But try to relax and remember that most first babies go "overdue" as that number is just an estimate. Take joy and thank God that you have had a healthy pregnancy and you will be blessed soon enough. Soon you'll look back and reminisce over your beautiful big belly that nurtured your baby for 9 months.

#18 ·
DDCC - my first was born ten days past her EDD and she only weighed 7 lbs. 7 oz. I really think she needed that extra "cooking" time. Some are "slow cookers". My husband says the longer they stay in the more tender they are when they come out.
Babies will come when it's the best time except in extremely rare circumstances where medical intervention is necessary. Try to relax and enjoy this time. And what is 14 days compared to the 250+ that you've already been pregnant? Try to think calm, relaxing, positive thoughts.
Do things that will be difficult after you have the baby, get a pedicure, go shopping, whatever.

#19 ·
Lots of good advice here.

Just wanted to add about the colostrum, your liquid gold -- in the first days of life, the baby's tummy is the size of a walnut. Baby nurses and can only take about a teaspoon's worth of liquid at a time per feeding. Such a little tummy fills and empties quickly -- that's why babies need to nurse so frequently (every 1-3 hrs from the start of one session to the start of the next). Your job for the first couple of weeks is just to make milk and nurse your baby. Do you have some postpartum help lined up?

#20 ·
Regarding your question about pitocin-

It makes contractions horrible. I have no non-pitocin labors to compare it to, so I can't speak from experience, but a lot of people have told me how much worse pitocin contractions were for them. Some have compared it to being in transition the whole time.

For me, I couldn't do it. I am honestly proud of myself for four hours of pitocin hell (maybe 7 total, but it wasn't bad until my water broke).

For me, I actually think the epidural saved me from a c/s.

I had been at 5 cm for a couple of days. And at the point when I got the epi I was at MAYBE 6. and she was really stretching to even call it 6.

Once I got the epidural things starting progressing. Slowly. But they did progress. It was still another 16 hours before DD was born, but it was 16 hours where things were slowly moving forward. Until the epi things weren't moving at all.

And I imagine things weren't moving at all because she wasn't ready. It was my due date, and she came out looking fully cooked (no vernix left). But I think she wanted a few more days.

I say I would never do pitocin again. But I do know that it's likely I'll have no choice (cholestasis has a very high reoccurrence rate). I can tell you, though, that I'll do everything I can to get myself into labor first.

I would NEVER EVER choose pitocin for a non-medical reason. Even if I had been planning on an epidural either way, I still wouldn't. It really ups your chances of other interventions and issues.

#21 ·
I agree with everyone re: pitocin.

Re: milk coming in. I'm on baby 3 and I've never dripped colostrum before the birth or been able to squeeze any out. Yet my milk has come in within 36 hours of the birth despite 2 of my 3 not being able to nurse due to being in the NICU. Mamas' bodies are amazing, the way they produce just what their babies need! It's so cool

#23 ·
Thank you for all the replies. So I'm still pregnant. Today my OB's nurse called and told me that if the baby doesn't come by herself by this weekend, they want to induce.

Now I'm just thinking...ugh lol. After everything I've read, I'm scared to death. Especially of the pain and the prolonged labor, you know? I so hope she comes on her own before then...

#25 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Limabean1975 View Post
You don't have to have an induction just because they want you to. You're in charge, remember that! If you're not confident in telling them so, just stall them...

DDCC
it's your body, your baby..you make the calls that feel good with you. Trust within mamma! And enjoy these last days of pregnancy!

#26 ·
Try and avoid an induction for your first if at all possible. You're much much more likely to end up in a c-section.

If your OB is talking induction, ask if you can do a NST (non stress test) and BPP (biophysical profile) to assess the baby prior to making that decision. Also ask what your Bishop's Score is. That will help you determine if an induction makes any sense.

First babies always go longer than 40 weeks in a normal pregnancy. The average is 41 weeks 1 day.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.