The Six Week Change - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 08-18-2010, 07:41 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I don't know if this is true for others that had their baby near the beginning of July but I've started to see a big change in Stella at six weeks. She'll actually tolerate a playmat, bouncy seat, or swing for a few minutes so that I can take a shower, cook, or attend to the other two kiddos. She smiles alot-not just in the morning-during the day. Her bedtime seems to be getting earlier (thank goodness!) and she seems to actually enjoy going for walks. It's as if she's waking up to the world a bit and seeming much more happy in the process. While she doesn't have a schedule, she seems to easily follow a routine and her daytime and nighttime sleep are a little more organized if I pay close attention to when she's getting tired. All in all, I am feeling more like the momma of a baby and not a newborn-this is good for me. I love parts of the newborn stage, but with two older kids I think this time around has been a little more difficult to savor. I don't know if others are seeing the same thing, but for I know knowing there was a light at the end of the tunnel would have been reassuring for me a few weeks ago.

Mama to Noah and Sophie and Stella 7/4/ 2010
#2 of 14 Old 08-18-2010, 08:30 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
That is great to hear! DS is only 3 weeks but I look forward to changes haha
#3 of 14 Old 08-18-2010, 09:54 AM

DS is almost 7 weeks and is definitely a more settled baby also! He seems more alert, alive and happy to be in the world, but isn't happy out of arms. While I love having him close, my back and shoulders are aching from all the carrying and baby-wearing. He smiles a bit, but not often yet. Love those new wide-mouthed smiles! He can hold his head up really well and always wants to put weight on his feet--I can balance him with one hand and he holds himself up for a few seconds!

Marja: consensual-living, unschooling, piano-teaching, doula and mom to 3 creative, independent people:
DD, 8, DS, 6, and Baby DS born July 1, 2010 Married to DH for 10 years!
#4 of 14 Old 08-18-2010, 12:18 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

wash.gif  Me  + bikenew.gif Dh =  broc1.gif  Dd1(9 yrs) + hearts.gif  Dd2(6 yrs) and blowkiss.gif Ds(3.5 yrs)
#5 of 14 Old 08-18-2010, 01:09 PM

Absolutely! My little StellaJune officially is through with her newborn stage. We were discharged from midwifery care yesterday. She's 13 lbs and a whopping 24 1/2 inches tall, so plain doesn't look like a newborn anymore.

She's much more interactive, follows us around the room with intent and she's like a little owl with her neck. But it gives her some independence since she's more content being by herself for a while and looking around the room and 'exercising'.

Smiles! She's been really smiling at us over and over again, not just a quick smile that some like to mistake for gas. These are big huge gummy smiles and are so rewarding and flood me with love.

I love the newborn stage and am a bit sad that it doesn't last longer, but I can see the light of a bit more freedom for us both. If she can enjoy a bit of playtime and start interacting with her sister, then the whole family will feel more connected and fulfilled. Though I don't want to rush it. It's pretty cool to watch her become her own little person.

SAHM to DD 03/08 & DD 06/10 made with love with my DP

#6 of 14 Old 08-18-2010, 02:50 PM

yes everything that you guys have written I could write as well. Although I still at 6 weeks have a crazy amount of milk and a lot of gas and gagging and and spraying...jeesh...I had it under control by this point with my older two. I don't pump, I have had one mug of mothers milk this whole pp period...what gives? I could feed a set of multiples.

Other than that dd is full of smiles and coos and lots of wriggly kicky squirmies...she seems happy in her body and loves to move it. I'll have to keep my eye on this one. She slleeps for longer stretches...still in arms and at possibly nearly 12 pounds...just guessing...I have the "momma aches" all over. She slleeps a ton at night, I still attempt to wake her to nurse a little for MY comfort...lots of milk here ya know? She's pooping 2-3 big poos instead of nearly all the time. She likes tummy time for a few minutes. She likes her bouncy seat in the kitchen if I keep up an endless dialogue with her...she's starting to get cozy in the Moby. Fell asleep in a stroller while I had a nice walk..can't wait for the heat to go away so I can do that more.

owl neck...yep...she is all over the place looking looking.

Right now we seem to be having some 6 week growth fussies. I just got her to sleep for a good stretch...but all morning today, lots of fuss! She startles less now too, until her 3 yo bro comes in the room...but my ds2 makes us jump too..lol.

This is our last child. My hsbd has his vasectomy appt for sept scheduled. So I am trying my best to savor everything. But with three kiddos I feel it will go fast.

And I saw the midwife for the last time yesterday, and I like her but I was antsy to leave. I am not ever gonna be pregnant again (hopefully)

I love my kiddos but I know deep in my heart that I don't want to do it again.

homeschooling, breastfeeding, cosleeping mama to ds1(7), ds2(3) and dd(3 months)
#7 of 14 Old 08-18-2010, 10:21 PM

Good to hear.

Paula, mama to DS M (7/2010) sleepytime.gif and Watson (1998) dog2.gif and welcoming baby Penny (8/1/2013) babyf.gif

#8 of 14 Old 08-19-2010, 12:52 AM

We'll be 6 weeks over here on monday- I can't believe it.
Konrad started out a big boy but his weight gain has been slow- he's up to 5.2 kg now (11.4 lbs).

He's definitely changed a lot! The past two weeks he's had awful baby acne but that hasn't stopped us from snapping pictures of him all the time. He definitely has "owl head" now too- he loves peering out from the newborn insert in the ergo and likes it when I hold him over my shoulder and walk around. He's way more alert and responsive- we are LOVING all the smiles! He's got giant dimples and such a cute little mouth. He still seems happiest in the mornings though and yes, we still enjoy fusspot time in the evenings.

As for a schedule or routine- I'm not sure if we've got that going on. Because both DH and I are at home, we just deal with whatever needs to be done as it comes and right now, because we don't have a schedule for work etc., things seems to be all over the place. DS sleeps at night when we do, still waking up every 2-3 hours. But naps are unpredictable and I often wonder if I should be actively "putting him down" more and if he is over-stimulated or tired. He'll yawn and yawn and I'll try to put him down or lay down with him but his eyes will stay open and he'll be really awake. He'll often fall asleep after nursing, but only for 10 minutes or so. Naps are elusive around here- I think I need to figure this out before DH goes back to work or else I'll be *really* tired.

But he is sooo big now and everyone says he is starting to look so much like me! It is strange looking down at a face I love so much and having it look like me. I always just expected DS to look like DH.

Me dreads.gif 32, loving him fuzmalesling.gif33, more each day. Rad boy, jog.gif 7/12/10 & Cool gal baby.gif  4/28/13

I'm a biracial, atheist, humanist, pacifist, anarchist, bibliophile, and educator. Rainbow.gifgd.gifwinner.jpgnocirc.gif

#9 of 14 Old 08-20-2010, 06:46 PM

Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
I was in the June DDC but I had my baby 16 days overdue on July 5th. My baby is just turning 7 weeks on Monday and I've noticed so many changes. So many of the mamas over in June have babies that are so far ahead of Daniel, I was hoping I could crash on over here. Is that okay?

Anyways, I'm noticing that Daniel is really falling into a schedule lately and that his sleep cues are much stronger. I've been keeping a sleep log so that I can start to organize his sleep and get a sense of how to make sure he's getting the good naps he needs at home, as opposed to just falling asleep for 10 minutes here or there in the carseat or whatnot. It's totally working! He sleeps an hour in the morning, 2 hours in the afternoon and then sleeps from 10pm to 5am in the evening! Wow! He just started doing that at 6 weeks, so I'm wondering if all those sleep books I read were right about newborns organizing their sleep around 6 weeks.

Daniel loves to smile at himself in the mirror which is so cute. He especially loves when Dh or I look in the mirror with him, since I don't think he recognizes himself yet, but I think he gets excited to see us. By far, the mirror is his favorite toy. I agree with some of the pp, it seems like he's more willing to sit in the bouncy seat or swing for longer periods of awake time so I can do things like use the bathroom without hearing crying in the background, shower, or cook (and eat!).

Me + DH + Daniel (7/5/10)
Testing early and often since February 2014.
#10 of 14 Old 08-20-2010, 07:27 PM

welcome mama. My dd will be closing in on 7 weeks soon and she has a sleep routine that is getting predictable...my oldest kiddos did too. Now I know this being my third that the sleep is going to get all screwy again once she starts learning some new skills...sitting up, crawling etc.

She's still pretty much in arms...but yes sitting in her seat more and looking around cooing while on a play spot on the rug. She has started playing peek a boo with us. If we gently tickle her face with a blankie and say peek a boo she will just grin and coo and reach towards us with her little fist.

I'm starting to be able to do things for myself too...I haven't attempted a shower without hsbd home though. But I can cook and eat! Or do something with my other kiddos for a minute.

homeschooling, breastfeeding, cosleeping mama to ds1(7), ds2(3) and dd(3 months)
#11 of 14 Old 08-22-2010, 02:16 AM

Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
I do a shower nearly first thing in the morning, while Daniel is in his BEST mood and stick him in the bouncy chair with ALL the stimuli going about a foot from the shower. It's the only time that I use the bouncy chair, especially with all of that crap, but it really occupies him for the 10 minutes it takes for me to shower.

Me + DH + Daniel (7/5/10)
Testing early and often since February 2014.
#12 of 14 Old 08-23-2010, 01:55 AM

For the past few days DS has been sleeping at night for 5 hours at a time!!! I forgot what it felt like to be this rested... great!!!
Yey for Six Weeks!

Me dreads.gif 32, loving him fuzmalesling.gif33, more each day. Rad boy, jog.gif 7/12/10 & Cool gal baby.gif  4/28/13

I'm a biracial, atheist, humanist, pacifist, anarchist, bibliophile, and educator. Rainbow.gifgd.gifwinner.jpgnocirc.gif

#13 of 14 Old 08-23-2010, 09:24 PM

yep! dd is 7 weeks and is sleeping well at night. And hsbd has been home in the mornings letting me sleep in with her till about 8 while he has the older boys...so nice. Hopefully I'll be all rested by the time he's leaving in the early morning. Getting everyone fed and pj-ed and into bed and asleep has been my nightmare lately.

#14 of 14 Old 08-25-2010, 09:40 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Oh gosh, I'm so glad to hear this. I have to admit, I'm not enjoying the newborn phase AT ALL. I can survive another 3 weeks knowing there's a light at the end!

Loving mama to Aden (8/5/2010) and DSD (15).

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page