Mothering Forum banner

"bed time" ??

744 views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  nudnik 
#1 ·
How is "bed time" going? Wondering what other babes are doing in the evening hours from 7-11pm? dd2 is almost 6 weeks, and is nursing so much in the late afternoon and early evening hours that I feel like I cannot get her a really good feeding in the evening, but she is fussy and so I nurse all of the time, and then when I try to put her down she has trouble getting into a deep sleep and keeps waking up after 10-20 minutes. Quite the cycle. We try keeping her up and giving her "happy time," but she starts to seem tired and get fussy. This is not unlike my other kiddos were, just frustrated. She has some nice deep sleep time during the day...does she still have night and day confused? She is growing well, but I still feel like I wish I could give her a better feeding at this time of night. Thanks for listening and sorry for babbling!!!

#2 ·
Ds was born on June 30th so ALMOST July

He's normally fussy and just eating a ton from 7-10ish. He doesn't "wake up" per say, but stays in that weird light sleep where he wants to nurse, cry a tiny bit without waking, nurse more, nurse and MORE nursing!

#3 ·
My DS is 3.5 weeks old and just yesterday and today he has been more awake. He always nurses around dinner (6-7ish) then he stays awake for about 2 hrs. This is the time where he wants to be held by me or wants to be in my vision while in his bouncer. When he whines, I try to put him down on tummy time and he is quiet for a while as he looks around. Then he usually falls asleep on my chest after that time. Right now, he is down in the pack n play but I know he is about to wake up because it's been about 3 hrs since the last time.

#4 ·
dd is nearly 7 weeks old and she is nursing at the moment. but she has a fuss period from 4-6 and then usually nurses, sort of fussily, until she falls asleep. So while the other two kiddos have dinner I try to get her settled and nursing and then she's asleep at about 7:30. whether she stays asleep is due to the noise level of my older kiddos and various factors but usually bedtime around this time. Still sleeping in arms a lot...I try to put her in the cosleeper while I deal with other kiddos bedtime but that is not working...so she sleeps on my shoulder most evenings until we get to lay down together.
Not efficient but it keeps the noise level down in the evenings. And I have been giving baths in the morning or afternoons and then spot cleaning for bed...bathtime with a 7 yo and a 3 yo and a fussy 7 week old in the evening is not my cup of tea.

#5 ·
I posted about this last week as Stella was up until 11 or 12 each night. The magically this week bedtime has been between 7-9 depending on her last night of the day. Mostly around 8...I'm so relieved! Stella's not much of a cluster feeder, but I try to get a good feed in her just before bed, top her off around 10 or 11 and then as she wakes. I'm relieved-I thrive on routine and organization, and with two other kiddos dancing around me in the evening I really needed this consistency. We'll see what happens next week!

#6 ·
Knock on wood, but last night and tonight I have had all three down by 8:00...bot counting on it lasting forever, but it has been really nice to be able to lie down with my 6 year old ds and 3 year old dd...I am actually putting dd2 down in her crib, last night she did a 3 hour stretch in there, which shocked us, and then when she wakes up she comes into bed with us and cuddles.

Anyone else who co-sleeps find that dd or ds essentially sleeps all night in bed? We had a family bed with ds (he never even touched a crib), but dd1 just could not settle in bed with us - it was so strange after sleeping for so long with ds...dd2 has been a brilliant co-sleeper since day 1 - she literally would have nothing to do with those little bassinettes that they have in the hospital - though you can't really blame her! All I have to do is touch her gently and she is sound asleep again. We will see if any of this continues, but I thought it was funny that just when you think you are in for it...things change!

#7 ·
It changes, but every night we have "transition" - a nice chunk of time where they want to eat nonstop. At the point where I'm about to lose it, they finally really fall asleep! Tonight they were asleep by 10:00, but often it's about 8:00. Then they are asleep the whole night, except for midsleep nursing. (Which, by the way, is much better staggered. When they take turns, I ALSO sleep the whole night. When they both want to eat at the same time, I need to sit up to nurse...)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.