Any runners out there? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 08-26-2010, 10:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just started running again at 6 weeks PP and have gone on two runs. Aside from the insanely sore muscles and the belly flab that I have to deal with (eesh!), it is better than I thought it might have been. I am having a tiny little bit of light spotting after I run, though - and then it goes away completely, I rest for a day...figure I will go every other day. Any runners out there experience the same? I am assuming that a little light spotting is ok...my midwife had just told me to take it slowly...I am sort of doing that...LOL
#2 of 12 Old 08-26-2010, 10:53 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Lurking because I'm considering running. Were you a big runner before your third baby came?

wash.gif  Me  + bikenew.gif Dh =  broc1.gif  Dd1(9 yrs) + hearts.gif  Dd2(6 yrs) and blowkiss.gif Ds(3.5 yrs)
#3 of 12 Old 08-27-2010, 01:15 AM

not a runner, but hiking and biking. If you are still having bleeding, especially increased after activity, I would probably give the body a chance to heal up a bit more. In the end, another restful week will likely just give you more energy to get back into running when you're better healed. imo. That said, I felt much better once I was able to get back into some exercise too. Enjoy!

SAHM to DD 03/08 & DD 06/10 made with love with my DP

#4 of 12 Old 08-27-2010, 04:05 AM

I've started stationary biking on my trainer and the first couple of times I had a bit of spotting afterward but it seems to have gone away the last couple of times.

I'll need to buy sports bras in the new size before I can attempt jogging!

Paula, mama to DS M (7/2010) sleepytime.gif and Watson (1998) dog2.gif and welcoming baby Penny (8/1/2013) babyf.gif

#5 of 12 Old 08-27-2010, 05:09 AM

I just started getting back out there last week. I'm going to hold off for a little while more though. I think my ligaments are and joints are still all out of whack. My hips were popping all weird and my pelvis felt strange after the few times I went running. And OMG, running with these giant milk bags is rather comical. I don't know how to strap them down properly- OUCH.
Looks like I'll be swimming more often than running.

Me dreads.gif 32, loving him fuzmalesling.gif33, more each day. Rad boy, jog.gif 7/12/10 & Cool gal baby.gif  4/28/13

I'm a biracial, atheist, humanist, pacifist, anarchist, bibliophile, and educator. Rainbow.gifgd.gifwinner.jpgnocirc.gif

#6 of 12 Old 08-27-2010, 10:33 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfacing View Post
Lurking because I'm considering running. Were you a big runner before your third baby came?
Yep, I have always been a runner, but not a crazy runner, just a few miles, every other day or so. It is my favorite form of exercise, and it is the only way I ever lose any weight! That hasn't started to happen yet, though...patience...I think I am going to get into yoga this year, too. I always say that I am going to and then I never do...
#7 of 12 Old 08-27-2010, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by expat-mama View Post
....And OMG, running with these giant milk bags is rather comical. I don't know how to strap them down properly- OUCH....
#8 of 12 Old 08-27-2010, 11:59 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by expat-mama View Post
OMG, running with these giant milk bags is rather comical. I don't know how to strap them down properly- OUCH.
NAK
When I used to dance, some of the bustier girls would wear more than one bra -- or wear a sports bra, and then a bra made out of pantyhose:
http://www.ehow.com/how_5177271_make...pantyhose.html

I myself have used it a number of times - sometimes I'd layer two of them. It's flattening but at least the girls get held down.

wash.gif  Me  + bikenew.gif Dh =  broc1.gif  Dd1(9 yrs) + hearts.gif  Dd2(6 yrs) and blowkiss.gif Ds(3.5 yrs)
#9 of 12 Old 08-27-2010, 09:53 PM

Yeah.......when I started running again after DD1 I had to wear 2 sports bras......will probably have to this time around too. I was running up until I was about 12 weeks into this pregnancy. I don't have anywhere near enough energy to get started again yet. I think I'll start with walking and work my way up.......i'm sort of dreading getting into shape again........it feels good when you get there but those first few runs are painful.

Lana: Mama to Mya Oct/2007 and Ainsley July/2010
#10 of 12 Old 09-11-2010, 06:33 PM

I participated in a half marathon and a 10 miler a couple weeks before I became pg. I tried to run for the first time at 8 wks pp and I had the same issues as the OP. It turned into a walk/run because of extra weight, sore joints/ligaments/muscles, flabby abs & I definitely could not make my previous distance/speed. I have about 2 months of outdoor running before the weather turns & I may buy a treadmill. I was medically restricted from running in a 10 miler when I was 5/6 months, but the race organizers transferred my spot to 2011 so I still need to train for that.

- EDD 7/29
#11 of 12 Old 09-14-2010, 11:31 PM

Hi Runner Mamas!
I am 8 weeks pp right now and just starting to get back to my running. I have missed it so much, it really is my therapy! I am slow, and do bleed more when I run. The tricky thing now is finding the time to run as you all know. I have a running stroller from my first daughter, but by the time this little one is ready to go in it, the weather will be getting colder.

About the running bras, I work at a running store and highly recommend you go in to get properly fitted. If you are properly fitted, you shouldn't need more than one bra! My favorites are by Moving Comfort, the Fiona bra and the Helena bra. They are great support and the straps velcro off so you can nurse easily.

Good luck to all the runner Mamas!
#12 of 12 Old 09-15-2010, 11:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Peaches View Post
The tricky thing now is finding the time to run as you all know.
I know...I had to commit to going in the morning before dh leaves for work...which means I need to be out the door by 5:45...of course, my runs do not last longer than 20-25 minutes tops right now, and not because I do not want to keep going...I can barely make it back to go to the bathroom (no, not #1)...so annoying, and this happened after dd1 was born, too. My system needs to get on a better schedule! Ahh well, at least it is something...IT is wonderful therapy!!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page