Diapering your July baby - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 54 Old 09-04-2010, 12:09 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
In the same boat as you Terrilein, 7 weeks, and several poops a day.

Paula, mama to DS M (7/2010) sleepytime.gif and Watson (1998) dog2.gif and welcoming baby Penny (8/1/2013) babyf.gif

#32 of 54 Old 09-05-2010, 10:52 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
8 weeks tomorrow! DS stopped pooping every day, a few times a day, about a week and a half ago. Now he saves it all up into one HUMONGOUS MONSTER POOP every 2 or 3 days. When he first started doing this I was worried he wasn't eating enough or something- then I saw the ginormous poop- I guess it's normal.
I liked the small poops better. I swear I use like 30 wipes on these big suckers. Or I just spray his little bum down and end up giving him a bath! When we are out and I hear those little grunts that mean poopy is brewing, I RUN to the nearest change room. The diapers can handle it in most situations, but jostling around in the sling or the ergo...I don't want to chance a blowout of these proportions while out and about.

Me dreads.gif 32, loving him fuzmalesling.gif33, more each day. Rad boy, jog.gif 7/12/10 & Cool gal baby.gif  4/28/13

I'm a biracial, atheist, humanist, pacifist, anarchist, bibliophile, and educator. Rainbow.gifgd.gifwinner.jpgnocirc.gif

#33 of 54 Old 09-06-2010, 08:02 PM

We use GMD prefolds (yellow) and thirsties or bsww covers. kind of boring, but they seem to work really well. i am heading to the states in a few weeks and while I'd love to try some fuzzibunz or bum genius, I'm afraid our no hot water washing routine may not be set up to support those dipes. I may need to settle for the next size up prefold and some fun covers!

Mama to Noah and Sophie and Stella 7/4/ 2010
#34 of 54 Old 09-07-2010, 12:57 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrilein View Post
And yes, our poor baby has got a monster rash going since we made the switch. Our pedi gave us a zinc oxide ointment which is ok, but the rash isn't going away. So as of yesterday evening we are back in sposies until this rash clears up. I don't know what caused it - not getting every nook and cranny cleaned? just too wet for too long? something else? But we'll see. And since we change diapers so often, I do a dry pail - same with dd. This time I've got a laundry bag lining my diaper pail and I just draw the cord close and toss the whole thing in the wash every evening. I wash on high heat (was using 60 °C, now switched to 90 °C due to rash) and do an extra rinse. Then I toss them in the drier.
I really wish we could solve the rash issue without sposies. Oh well, I remember that happening once with dd, too. I hope he doesn't get another one too quickly.
Terrilein, this is my baby too. I started him in disposables for the mec stage, and switched to cloth. But with THE FIRST cloth diaper he started getting a rash right at his butt hole. I was shocked. I used cloth again in a half-assed way for awhile and always went back to disposables because he didn't seem to have a rash from them. I CD dd2 (just for night at this stage) and was not expecting for my child to have a rash. I changed him RIGHT AWAY each time he peed. Not sure what that's all about, using scent freeand dye free detergent and line drying.

wash.gif  Me  + bikenew.gif Dh =  broc1.gif  Dd1(9 yrs) + hearts.gif  Dd2(6 yrs) and blowkiss.gif Ds(3.5 yrs)
#35 of 54 Old 09-07-2010, 01:27 AM

Ember stopped pooping all the time around 5 weeks, though at that point I think there's a huge range of normal. Sometimes she'll go twice a day, other times she'll save it up for three days & load up the diaper when she does go.

We use an assortment of fitteds and covers, sometimes wool. I do have prefolds too but we've never used them-- i bought 12 used Kissaluvs, and then a friend lent us all her newborn dipes (mostly fitteds/covers), so we have plenty w/o the prefolds. Also have some AIOs and pockets, but I like the fitteds/covers better.

She still fits most of her NB dipes, but i have plenty of size smalls and OS ready and waiting when she outgrows the NBs.
Posted via Mobile Device

Weirdo Mama to amazing Aurelia, age 9 & Ember Roslyn, age 3!
#36 of 54 Old 09-07-2010, 09:06 PM

loling about the poo! dd1 pooped every time she nursed until around 4 months lol...this dd is pooing about 4x a day and that worries me...I would have a heart attack if my child didn't poo a few times a day lol. dd1 is 4 now and still poos 1-2x a day...
we are using my tiny stash of diapers every other day and I love the ease! 6monkey doodlez size small micros,(which are great just like a reg dipe but give her slightly red marks so can't wait for these to be outgrown) 1 bumgenius pocket and 2 gro baby shells and 2 liners (need more liners but they don't hold the poo anyways so )
Just ordered 10 grovia aio's (totally rocked the sale!) and CANNOT wait to get that lovely fluffy cotton on babies bum. I will probably order either 10 more grovias aios and maybe some some bumgenius "elementals". When she is older I will prob. order some more grovia liners and shells but they just do not hold the breastfed baby poo well enough for now.
For the days we are washing the cloth diapers the huggies snugglers are lovely and we ADORE the earths best baby wipes. they are literally the next best thing to water and paper towels. (ingredient wise)
#37 of 54 Old 09-09-2010, 05:02 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
We used the disposables from the hospital for the early mec stage, then switched to cloth. We started with prefolds and fitteds. Usually use the prefolds during the day and the fitteds at night or when just to tired to deal with the folding. Also have 6 flats, but we use those for burp clothes (which we go through about 100xs faster then we do diapers). I've also bought now some AIOs and pockets from diaperswappers since I need to figure out what we'll be using for daycare. I love the fitteds with a Thirsties Dou cover the best. Aden is already over 10 lbs so most of what I started with doesn't fit or soon won't We also use cloth wipes with either of the solutions from GMD. We use leftover disposable dipes and wipes when we are out and find that we use 3 or 4 disposable wipes where at home we'd only need 1 cloth wipe.

Over labor day weekend we were out of town and used disposable dipes/wipes from Whole Foods, and got our first rash. We use the diaper cream from welada. The WF wipes were awful due to the fact that half of them are not separated from the next one. Sooo annoying trying to pull out just 1 wipe!

We use a dry pail with liner and have a front load washer. We just dump the diapes/wipes and liner in and set it to normal with hot/cold, prewash, extra rinse, high soil level, water plus. Used around 1/3 the "normal" amount of Kirkland (costco HE environmentally friendly) detergent. We have staining, but the one time we bothered it came out in the sun.

Loving mama to Aden (8/5/2010) and DSD (15).
#38 of 54 Old 09-09-2010, 09:41 PM

LOVE cloth diapers!
My favorites:
GMD yellow organic prefolds: Perfect, fluffy and work great!
Flip covers: couldn't live without these!! I use them over my prefolds and flats
Monkey Doodlez: Really soft against her bum and they fit her skinny legs
Goodmama: Very soft, super absorbant. Love it for night time
BumGenius 3.0: I like these for when we go out on quick trips. Easy to change.
BumGenius Organic: LOVELY, even though the one size doesn't always fit perfectly.
Happy Heiny's: I only have one, but I like it, even though I have to stuff it.
Flip organic inserts: have contained EBF poo, impressive!
Thirsties cover: I like them, but not as much as the Flip cover(it covers more).

These are alright:
LL Flats: I don't think these are that soft and I *think* they give my LO a rash. But, they are cheap, absorbant and can be used so many ways. Would love to sell them for some red GMD organic prefolds, but they do dry quickly so I'm hesitant.
BumGenius one size: I don't like stuffing! But these do the job.
Flip Stay Dry Insert: It's ok, not as "poo-catching" as the organic insert
Hemp inserts: Work great, take a while to dry

These I could do without:
Nubunz seconds: Maybe I'm doing something wrong, maybe they don't fit right, or maybe they are just seconds, but I've had lots of leaks with these, plus I'm lazy and hate stuffing!
Econobum: not the best one size fit.

Wipes:
I use cloth wipes in water in a wipes warmer. When we go out, I bring dry wipes with and just get them wet or I use homemade disposable ones. I mix Dr Bronner's baby soap, almond oil, lavened EO, tea tree oil, water and paper towels. They are soft and very moisturizing!

Sposies:
I've used 7th generation and had MASSIVE blowouts. Like, her carseat was a EBF swimming pool. BARF. But, I still use them when we travel for more than two days, I just plan on packing extra clothes.

Diaper cream:
L-O-V-E Earth Mama Angel Baby Bottom Balm!! Clears up diaper rash within 12 hours of it starting to show!

EC:
She's been over the toilet a few times, but the first time we caught pee and poop!

Nekkie time:

She loves nekkie time. I normally let her air out at every diaper change, and if she has a rash, sometimes I'll leave her out longer. I love her little nekkie body and smiles I get!

First time Mama, in love with my DH and we're in LOVE with our baby girl!!!
mdcblog5.gif
#39 of 54 Old 09-10-2010, 05:30 AM

*sigh* we are having massive rash issues here. I bought a different diaper cream yesterday and will try that. Otherwise, yeah, might change the detergent. We are running out of our regular detergent so I'll look at getting something for sensitive skin. But I really think it's more of a moisture issue - the rash is right where his penis is naturally aimed. Attempts on our part to aim the boy elsewhere fail - it just moves back! Those things really do have a mind of their own!

hide.gif Me 41, single mom to modifiedartist.gifdd 4/2001 and demon.gif ds 7/17/2010

#40 of 54 Old 09-12-2010, 03:40 AM

Quote:
And yes, our poor baby has got a monster rash going since we made the switch. Our pedi gave us a zinc oxide ointment which is ok, but the rash isn't going away.

I don't know if this will help you but when DD1 was a baby she had TERRIBLE diaper rash and it turned out to be a yeast infection. Nothing, and I mean nothing worked to help her. I kept trying and trying and eventually it was bleeding. The only thing that worked was some cream the Dr. gave me. It might be something to mention, good luck! I also use the California baby diaper spray, the reviews I read swore by it for rashes, but I haven't dealt with the rashes much. A little redness but it actually cleared up completely with the cloth! We use that Charlie's soap with ours.

AFM~ I am getting a ton of dipes as hand-me-downs, mostly AIO's but covers too. I was planning on using sposies until she got to 12 lbs or so, but I thought she would get there faster! I ordered the trial program in nb sizes from Jillian's drawers. I was hoping it would give me some sense of other brands and also hold me over till she hits the next size. I will probably try the next size up too. So we just started full time cloth (I was doing both before) two days ago, but I love it! I love the kissaluvs fuzzy fitted dipes. I think I prefer prefolds with covers, or fitted with covers. I just love them all! I'm so happy I chose cloth.

I have been using reusable wipes for probably 5 weeks now. I was just keeping a small wetbag by the changing pad. I use cut up flannel blankets and some flannel I bought on sale. I LOVE them. They are faster than disposable ones and don't stink! I use Kissaluvs diaper potion (I think that's what it's called) in a peri-bottle full of water and some witch hazel. I have to shake it each time though, I think it might be easier to just use water but I like the smell.

Artist, teacher, wife and mommy to DSS, DD1, DD2 and surprise baby girl on the way, 7/12!

#41 of 54 Old 09-12-2010, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtsyHeartsy View Post
I don't know if this will help you but when DD1 was a baby she had TERRIBLE diaper rash and it turned out to be a yeast infection. Nothing, and I mean nothing worked to help her. I kept trying and trying and eventually it was bleeding. The only thing that worked was some cream the Dr. gave me. It might be something to mention, good luck! I also use the California baby diaper spray, the reviews I read swore by it for rashes, but I haven't dealt with the rashes much. A little redness but it actually cleared up completely with the cloth! We use that Charlie's soap with ours.

I have been using reusable wipes for probably 5 weeks now. I was just keeping a small wetbag by the changing pad. I use cut up flannel blankets and some flannel I bought on sale. I LOVE them. They are faster than disposable ones and don't stink! I use Kissaluvs diaper potion (I think that's what it's called) in a peri-bottle full of water and some witch hazel. I have to shake it each time though, I think it might be easier to just use water but I like the smell.
I don't think we have yeast. I took him to the pedi after the rash first broke out and didn't improve after a few days. The pedi said to come back if the red bumps develop white centers - THAT would be yeast. So far the new cream seems to be working ok. I've also started using the blow drier to dry him. Something's working because I'm seeing improvement. As soon as this rash is gone, we'll be back in cloth and hoping that the new cream/blow drying helps.
As for using American products, I'd love to try some, but it costs an arm and a leg to import a lot of this stuff and isn't particularly green when I should be using local stuff. Plus I think the Germans have had their share of diaper rashes and MUST have something equivalent that works.

And tell me about this wet bag. I'm totally intrigued! How is it done??? I just have a stash of wash clothes next to the changing table and need to get a bowl of warm water for every time I need to change his diaper. This is also one of the reasons why we still mainly use disposable wipes. It's too darn inconvenient at 3 am. I do prefer using the wash cloths to clean - they work much better at getting the crap off his bum, but it's a PITA to get a fresh bowl of water all the time especially when I'm only half awake.

hide.gif Me 41, single mom to modifiedartist.gifdd 4/2001 and demon.gif ds 7/17/2010

#42 of 54 Old 09-12-2010, 07:25 AM

We have a Thermos pump pot that we fill with hot water and keep at the changing table for the cloth wipes. We just have to change the water once a day.

We've been trying the jelly roll fold with the prefolds for the last week. Takes slightly longer, but works great at containing the larger explosive poops, have barely had any get on the covers. I also like how it gives his legs much more room to move around.

DS doesn't seem to like the Thirsties covers that much (leg elastic too constricting) so I've ordered a variety of different types to try when we move up to the next size.

Paula, mama to DS M (7/2010) sleepytime.gif and Watson (1998) dog2.gif and welcoming baby Penny (8/1/2013) babyf.gif

#43 of 54 Old 09-12-2010, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by somegirl99 View Post
We have a Thermos pump pot that we fill with hot water and keep at the changing table for the cloth wipes. We just have to change the water once a day.
Ingenious idea! I was wondering with the mention of a wet bag above if I should just toss a few moistened wash cloths in a ziplock bag. I'm going to toy around with these thoughts . . .

ETA: Just how are you using the pump thermos thingy for your daily diapering needs? Are you pumping the water directly onto a wipe or into a bowl first?

#44 of 54 Old 09-12-2010, 10:17 AM
MJB

I use a little spray bottle (filled with a little baby wash in water) and spray the baby's butt directly, then wipe with a dry wipe. I have a pocket in the diaper bag that has dry wipes, and when we go out I just stick the spray in there, at home I leave it on the nightstand.
I also use the spray/wipes to clean her stinky neck when it needs it.
#45 of 54 Old 09-12-2010, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Ingenious idea! I was wondering with the mention of a wet bag above if I should just toss a few moistened wash cloths in a ziplock bag. I'm going to toy around with these thoughts . . .

ETA: Just how are you using the pump thermos thingy for your daily diapering needs? Are you pumping the water directly onto a wipe or into a bowl first?
I pump straight onto the wipe. I got the idea from the GMD booklet.

#46 of 54 Old 09-12-2010, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJB View Post
I use a little spray bottle (filled with a little baby wash in water) and spray the baby's butt directly, then wipe with a dry wipe. I have a pocket in the diaper bag that has dry wipes, and when we go out I just stick the spray in there, at home I leave it on the nightstand.
I also use the spray/wipes to clean her stinky neck when it needs it.
That's also a really cool idea.

#47 of 54 Old 09-13-2010, 01:58 AM - Thread Starter

Terrilein-

My sister swears by the blow dryer for every diaper change. Also, I haven't tried this but got the idea from my midwife, you can make a tea of calendula flowers and use that as your wipey-water---calendula is super healing for all manner of skin issues. Ditto if you have any sitz herbs; at least that's the word from my mw!

Good luck! I hope it clears up.

My latest diapering quandary is what size prefolds to buy next . . . ds has grown out of the nb size. He is 10 1/2 lbs at 6 wks. We have been using 27x27" flats pad-folded in his dipe cover---which is quite a lot of cotton. I'm wondering if I can skip a size of PF which would amount to about the same size "pad" in his dipe cover?

Any ideas? Specifically, I was thinking of jumping straight up to the brown edge gmd's---but I have no idea; they might be too humongous for his diaper? Maybe I should get the reds . . .

This is my first CD baby, so I don't really have a basis for comparison.

Happy and in love with my family!
#48 of 54 Old 09-13-2010, 02:48 AM

[QUOTE=expat-mama;15799469] Besides, I don't think 30 wipes would be enough. Sometimes I use soo many for DS's giant poos. I think we're sticking to bought wipes.
QUOTE]

I usually use cloth wipes but last weekend when we went on a trip to see family we used disposable diapers and wipes. I could not believe how many MORE disposable wipes I was using...like 3-5 per poop minimum. I almost NEVER use more than one cloth wipe, no matter how epic the poop. I'd give it a try if I was you (especially since you already have them on hand).

So far we've been using prefolds and we don't have any complaints...well, I do, but it's for my husband, not about the diapers. For most of Finn's life so far we've had him in very few clothes unless absolutely necessary and then we often left his bottom half bare (i.e. no pants, not doing up his onsies) and left his diaper cover off so we could feel right away when he was wet. However, now that he's starting to need clothes, husband doesn't always remember to put on a cover so I'm changing FAR MORE outfits than I should have to...oh well.
I bought a single Bumgenious and a single AMP (both one size) to try out. So far I'm liking the bumgenious better but I want to give them a few more weeks before committing to a purchase (maybe buy a few more brands). I am excited about having a slightly easier diapering system for outings than the whole prefold, snappi, cover thing, although it has been a lot more user friendly than I was expecting.
#49 of 54 Old 09-13-2010, 03:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthia View Post
I usually use cloth wipes but last weekend when we went on a trip to see family we used disposable diapers and wipes. I could not believe how many MORE disposable wipes I was using...like 3-5 per poop minimum. I almost NEVER use more than one cloth wipe, no matter how epic the poop. I'd give it a try if I was you (especially since you already have them on hand).
I totally agree with this. Disposable wipes are so flimsy compared to cloth wipes. I'm not sure if I can stick to just using one cloth wipe though if I use the pump thermos bottle. I'm used to being able to rinse out my wipe in a bowl. Knowing me, I'll probably use just as many cloth wipes with the pump thermos bottle method as I do using disposable wipes. Old dog, new tricks . . .

ETA: Ugh! We are never going to get past this rash if DP thinks he should let a sleeping baby lie . . . in a massively poopy diaper. Seriously, our baby has a rash that is finally getting better and he thinks it's better to let the baby continue to sleep instead of changing his diaper. Sheesh! The only good baby is a sleeping one . . .

#50 of 54 Old 09-13-2010, 05:40 PM
MJB

Edie only poops every 2-4 days and they can be pretty epic. Also, the front (folded under part) of the Flip inserts is usually pooed on so I can't use the front of the diaper to wipe at all. I often use 3-4 cloth wipes getting her all cleaned up, but so what? It's not waste when they are reusable. I'm kind of about rinsing the wipes out in a bowl!
We have a lot of wipes. I use more for wiping drool/spit-up off the baby than I use for diaper changes.
#51 of 54 Old 09-14-2010, 12:23 PM

somegirl.........we also started doing the jellyroll a couple weeks ago and I love it. DH is stuck in his ways and doesn't want to stop with the angel wing but I also love how the jelly roll gives her legs more room to move and it's great at containing poop and A is still pooping LOTS. The Thermos idea is awesome, I had just been wetting them in the bathroom sink which is right next to her room or else using an old peri bottle.

mathia............I found the same thing wtih the disposable wipes. We just went away for a couple days and used sposies and wipes, I found myself using so many disposable wipes at every change. My wipes are just baby wash cloths and I usually only need one per change..........every so often we have a double wiper.

Lana: Mama to Mya Oct/2007 and Ainsley July/2010
#52 of 54 Old 09-14-2010, 12:44 PM

i wash my babys bum off in the sink a lot of the time.. saves on wipes.
#53 of 54 Old 09-15-2010, 07:23 PM - Thread Starter

Well, count us in to the one giant poop a day club.

I can usually tell when he's about too let it loose, so I think we could potty that one. He doesn't like being held over the sink or big potty, but I'm going to get a little baby potty and see if we can catch the daily poo.

eta-oh, and now he fusses at the tiniest bit of wetness which is fine during the day because we always change him as soon as he pees, but it pretty much means he's wiggling and making noises all night long, even with two night time changes so we're not getting much sleep at nights due to this.

Happy and in love with my family!
#54 of 54 Old 09-15-2010, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craft_media_hero View Post
Well, count us in to the one giant poop a day club.

I can usually tell when he's about too let it loose, so I think we could potty that one. He doesn't like being held over the sink or big potty, but I'm going to get a little baby potty and see if we can catch the daily poo.

eta-oh, and now he fusses at the tiniest bit of wetness which is fine during the day because we always change him as soon as he pees, but it pretty much means he's wiggling and making noises all night long, even with two night time changes so we're not getting much sleep at nights due to this.
Craft is he in cloth? is it the microfleece/fiber? if it isn't and is just plain cotton you could always but a microfleece topper against his skin to help keep him dry feeling at night time...sleep is important!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page